Author Topic: Windshield on a 2011 C14  (Read 6273 times)

Offline elektra

• Mini Bike
  • AREA: Southwest Area
  • COG#: 9508
  • Membership Level: Expired - Expired Term
Windshield on a 2011 C14
« on: August 29, 2011, 05:46:54 pm »
I was not real impressed with the new Kawasaki OEM taller windshield on my 2011 C14. Prior to purchasing my 2011, I owned a used 2009. I replaced the windshield on my '09 with the new taller version, but I was not real happy. Still way too much wind noise and buffeting.

On my 2011 I had been searching for a solution. I first purchased a Laminar Lip for the OEM windshield but concluded that to be insufficient. I had read in the C14 forum about the California Scientific windshield, did some additional research on it and purchased one. I am 5'9" so I decided on the Medium height. I have to report that this is an incredible upgrade and solution to anyone who shares my discomfort with the OEM windshield. In the full up position, which still allows me an unobstructed view over the top, there is virtually no buffeting and the wind noise is dramatically reduced. I would highly recommend this product.

In addition, the thicker CalSci windshield does not flex in the up position at high speeds or in strong crosscurrents.
I would gladly provide additional information to anyone who requests it.
'70 Honda 305 Dream, '79 Triumph 750 Bonneville, '85 BMW K100 Turbocharged, '95 HD Heritage, '97 HD Dresser, '97 HD Road King, 2001 HD Dyna, 2009 Kawi C14, 2011 Kawi C14 ABS

Offline Mad River Marc

• Sport Tourer
  • AREA: Northeast Area
  • COG#: 8442
  • Membership Level: Active
Re: Windshield on a 2011 C14
« Reply #1 on: August 29, 2011, 05:49:54 pm »
How much larger then stock is the Medium CalSci?  I have a V-stream and so far like it, but it does buffet me quite a bit
You only need two tools in life – WD-40 and duct tape. If it doesn’t move and should, use the WD-40. If it shouldn’t move and does, use the duct tape.

Offline elektra

• Mini Bike
  • COG#: 9508
« Reply #2 on: August 29, 2011, 06:14:09 pm »
2010/11 Concours stock shield is 2¾" taller than previous years.

CalSci Medium shield is 4" taller than the 2008-2009 Concours windshield.

It is 1¼" taller than the 2010/11 Concours windshield. It is 2" wider and has a unique venting system to stabilize air pressure in the cockpit. It is also thicker to prevent flexing.
'70 Honda 305 Dream, '79 Triumph 750 Bonneville, '85 BMW K100 Turbocharged, '95 HD Heritage, '97 HD Dresser, '97 HD Road King, 2001 HD Dyna, 2009 Kawi C14, 2011 Kawi C14 ABS

Offline Dalroo

• Road Bike
  • AREA: South Central Area
  • COG#: 9961
« Reply #3 on: August 29, 2011, 06:30:48 pm »
Replacing the OEM windshield with the Cal-Sci Medium has been the most significant improvement I have made on my 2010. I am 5'11" and would recommend anyone taller go with the Large as the wind/buffeting is JUST above my head when in the full "up" position.

Dalroo
(Now) 2010 C14, 1981 KZ440LTD, 2014 XC610 (Then) 2000 FLHTCUI, 1998 KZ1000P, 1998 FXDWG, 1996 XL1200, 1993 Intruder 1400, 1989 YZ-250WR, 1984 YZ-250
Ancient Arabic Order of Nobles of the Mystic Shrine - Moslah Shrine Temple, Fort Worth, Texas - 2B1 ASK1

Offline C1xRider

• Road Bike
  • I'm not monitoring this forum. PM me at zggtr.org
  • AREA: Northwest Area
  • Membership Level: Forum Subscriber
« Reply #4 on: August 30, 2011, 02:01:42 am »
The Cee Baily screens work most excellent also, and are available from Murph.   ;)
2010 C14 ABS  :great:
2000 XT350
1998 C10
1983 V65 Magna
1978 SX250

Offline wally_games

• Moped
  • COG#: forum
« Reply #5 on: August 30, 2011, 02:21:28 am »
Replacing the OEM windshield with the Cal-Sci Medium has been the most significant improvement I have made on my 2010. I am 5'11" and would recommend anyone taller go with the Large as the wind/buffeting is JUST above my head when in the full "up" position.

Dalroo

Don't you also have a Corbin seat? That lowers you about an inch, effectively raising the windshield the same amount.

I'm probably going to "upgrade" before too long, but with this 100+ degree heat, smaller seems better.

Offline ACR_SCOUT

• Bicycle
« Reply #6 on: September 02, 2011, 02:52:59 pm »
The Cee Baily screens work most excellent also, and are available from Murph.   ;)

+1 I have the Cee Baily Touring Dome, works and looks wonderful. Love it.
2012 Gold Wing

----Use to have----
2011 Concours 14
Cee Baily Ultra Tour
Barend Weights
Shad SL 50
Phil's Rack

Offline dmann707

• Big Wheels
  • AREA: Southeast Area
  • COG#: Forum
« Reply #7 on: September 05, 2011, 02:50:38 pm »
i have the cee bailey ultra dome tour on my 2008 , im 5 ,9  and its a great shield for the long haul touring rider, been caught in several downpouring rains with it with minimal problem....all the way up to keep the rain out of your face and over your head.
down all the way to get cooling air when in traffic....

Offline Bruce_Reafsnider_TN

• Street Cruiser
« Reply #8 on: September 05, 2011, 03:17:24 pm »
I have the Cal Sci tintes shorty for summer riding, and the tall for Winter, or when the wife wants to ride.  I wish I'd found the tinted earlier....dash branding is real, and I have a melted speedo needle to prove it >:(

Offline Necron99

• Crotch Rocket
  • rise again....
  • COG#: 9384
« Reply #9 on: September 06, 2011, 02:39:20 am »
I THOUGHT the Cee Baily was good. And I was right.  However the Cal Sci is GREAT. Both are way better than OEM but the Cal Sci is betterer.

Offline Jagman

• Mini Bike
  • COG#: 9631
« Reply #10 on: September 06, 2011, 08:07:38 pm »
I THOUGHT the Cee Baily was good. And I was right.  However the Cal Sci is GREAT. Both are way better than OEM but the Cal Sci is betterer.

Which Cal Sci and Cee Baileys size did/do you have?  I really like my Euro but it is just a hair shorter than perfect for full wind protection at full height.  The large Cal Sci is 1/2" taller but wider than the Euro, and I think it looks better.  I don't want to buy either the Cee Baileys Ultra or the Cal Sci XL, they are just too tall for my taste.  Wondering if the Cal Sci large would give better protection than the CB Euro?  Also gotta have one of those opaque black shorties for summer.  Very cool looking.

Offline joe in calif

• Road Bike
  • If you are born once you will die twice,
« Reply #11 on: September 06, 2011, 09:40:03 pm »
That's what I have, I'm 5'9" tall and with it all the way down I get all the wind, part way up the wind goes over my head and all the way up I look through it when it rains. Cee Bailey Ultra Tour Domed
If you are born once you will die twice.
If you are born twice you will die once

Offline dusty1300

• Bicycle
  • AREA: North Central Area
« Reply #12 on: September 07, 2011, 09:35:16 am »
I just got the CB Ultra Tour Domed.  Although it is better than stock by far ('09),  at full height, the top ridge is right in my line of sight.  I have to scrunch down a little to see through it.  I'm 5' 10", but must have a long torso as every shield I ever get for any bike is always too short.  The other thing I noticed is that my upper back is always killing me now. I think it is giving me too much back pressure or something.  I have a Corbin seat coming ( if it ever gets made, been waiting 3 weeks now ) and it will lower me an inch I'm told.  I'll probably have to go with a CalSci though.  I have had good luck with Mark in the past on other bikes.  I had one on my V-strom and my ST1300.  He was great to work with back then.

Tom

Offline Necron99

• Crotch Rocket
  • rise again....
  • COG#: 9384
« Reply #13 on: September 08, 2011, 12:27:34 am »
I rode the Cee Baily Ultra Tour for about 1000 miles and then stumbled on an awesome deal on a Cal Sci Large.  I'm 6'4" and the large is quite sufficient.  I think if I was going to do a LONG trip the tall might be a smigeon better...  and I'm getting a Russell Day Long so it's possible that I'll want the taller one even more, but on a day to day basis the Large is terrific for me. 

What I significantly like about the Cal over the Cee Baily is that the air pocket is just a lot cleaner.

Offline Jagman

• Mini Bike
« Reply #14 on: September 09, 2011, 11:57:40 pm »
I ordered a large Cal Sci and a tinted shorty Tuesday.  Currently have the Cee Baileys Euro and like it a lot but always wanted to try the Cal Sci.  I think it looks better and it's 1/2" taller so might be just what I need as my Euro is just a hair short for complete protection.  I got the shorty just because it looks so cool and will be realy nice for 100 degree TX Summers and shorter rides.

Offline Bruce_Reafsnider_TN

• Street Cruiser
« Reply #15 on: September 11, 2011, 01:34:21 am »
I ordered a large Cal Sci and a tinted shorty Tuesday.  Currently have the Cee Baileys Euro and like it a lot but always wanted to try the Cal Sci.  I think it looks better and it's 1/2" taller so might be just what I need as my Euro is just a hair short for complete protection.  I got the shorty just because it looks so cool and will be realy nice for 100 degree TX Summers and shorter rides.

I have these 2 windshields...love the shorty in hottt weather.  The large is great for me when it gets colder, or when my wife wants to ride with me.  Wonder if the tinted shorty would have stopped the dash branding and melted/bent speedo needle I have now?
 :-[

Offline Brother Scum

• Tricycle
« Reply #16 on: September 17, 2011, 11:16:35 am »
I have 2 windscreens, the stock '08 and the Kawi "tall" ( AKA the stock '10). The stock screen had a lot of fine scratches and I replaced it w/ the new tall one when I bought the bike. The old one I cut down to about the size/shape as the one on the ZX14. It only extends about 4" higher than the instruments in the lowered position
I first used the tall one but never liked the buffeting when it was raised, the higher the screen was raised, the worse it seemed to get. My wife says that it's horrible on the back seat at speed when the screen is raised.
I put the short one on when it started to get warm this summer and I like the short one a whole lot better. Smooth airflow and less engine heat. Better on the back too, I'm told.
It's starting to get cooler now up here in New England so I'll be putting the tall one back on soon. It does help a whole lot in the cold, but it just seems noisier
This is my first faired bike, first with a windshield, maybe I'll get used to the thing.
« Last Edit: September 17, 2011, 11:18:58 am by Brother Scum »
Come to my vintage bike meet. www.rice-o-rama.com

Offline Jagman

• Mini Bike
« Reply #17 on: September 17, 2011, 12:15:35 pm »
I have 2 windscreens, the stock '08 and the Kawi "tall" ( AKA the stock '10). The stock screen had a lot of fine scratches and I replaced it w/ the new tall one when I bought the bike. The old one I cut down to about the size/shape as the one on the ZX14. It only extends about 4" higher than the instruments in the lowered position
I first used the tall one but never liked the buffeting when it was raised, the higher the screen was raised, the worse it seemed to get. My wife says that it's horrible on the back seat at speed when the screen is raised.
I put the short one on when it started to get warm this summer and I like the short one a whole lot better. Smooth airflow and less engine heat. Better on the back too, I'm told.
It's starting to get cooler now up here in New England so I'll be putting the tall one back on soon. It does help a whole lot in the cold, but it just seems noisier
This is my first faired bike, first with a windshield, maybe I'll get used to the thing.

If you and the Mrs. are getting that kind of buffetting, you are likely going to get used to it.  Just buy a Cee Baileys Euro or Ultra of a Cal Sci L or XL for Winter and ride in a soft pocket of air.

Offline wally_games

• Moped
« Reply #18 on: September 18, 2011, 03:25:15 am »
I don't really want a "soft pocket of air", but I would like to have the "wind in my face, er, helmet vents" when it's warm outse. I don't get buffeting when I ride my friends' sport bikes. Can't I just get some smooth air without all the buffeting? Or, when I do put the windshield up, can't I then get some better protection without looking like a bobble-head doll?