Author Topic: Woolrich DIY ECU Flashing  (Read 21551 times)

Offline Rembrant

• Low Brow Realist
  • Crotch Rocket
  • AREA: Northeast Area
  • COG#: forum
  • Membership Level: Forum Subscriber
Re: Woolrich DIY ECU Flashing
« Reply #100 on: April 11, 2014, 11:45:21 am »
You run the bike in 4th and it shows a certain mixture, then 5th gear shows richer, and then 6th gear even richer. For the person trying to tune it themselves at home by seat of the pants, I could see them really getting lost, and chasing their tail. You would really need to get their log box pro, so you could datalog and then make your changes.

Hey Mike,

I assume that you were monitoring the AFR on the dyno? It was getting richer each time because you were on the dyno and not utilizing the ram air? Did you end up leaving the STP's installed?

I will have the Log Box Pro installed shortly on my C14 and will be using it to tune my ZX14 TB's, Area-P full system, etc.

I'll keep you posted on how it turns out on the dyno;).

Cheers,
Cory
“If you're not a liberal at twenty you have no heart, if you're not a conservative at forty you have no brain.” ~ Winston Churchill.

Offline Turbo

• Moped
  • AREA: Southeast Area
  • Membership Level: Expired - Expired Term
« Reply #101 on: April 11, 2014, 08:26:23 pm »
Cory; Yes we were monitoring the AFR. What do you mean by STP's? It gets complicated because a lot of the maps are inter connected, so you change one thing, and it will also affect something else. The Concours should be easier, because it only has 4 injectors where the ZX10R has 4 primary, and 4 secondary. The log box pro will be the only way to tune the bike precisely for real world riding conditions. Mike.

Offline Rembrant

• Low Brow Realist
  • Crotch Rocket
« Reply #102 on: April 11, 2014, 09:05:07 pm »
Cory; Yes we were monitoring the AFR. What do you mean by STP's? It gets complicated because a lot of the maps are inter connected, so you change one thing, and it will also affect something else. The Concours should be easier, because it only has 4 injectors where the ZX10R has 4 primary, and 4 secondary. The log box pro will be the only way to tune the bike precisely for real world riding conditions. Mike.

Hey Mike,

I realized after the fact that it was probably a dumb question...I first thought you noticed that the fuel maps were richer in the higher gears, but as you said...if you were watching it in real time with a wbO2 sensor, that's a different story.

STP - Secondary Throttle Plates (Flies). They're called STP's in the Woolich software.

I forgot about the 2x4 injectors on the ZX10R...I was thinking of the older ZX10R's...I thought they had the same throttlebody assemblies as the ZX14?

I've been playing around with the Woolich software and my C14 ECU (I have 2) for a while now, but you are bang on with your comments...you could get confused very quickly, and it's not for everybody. I also have a Denso ECU from a Kawi ZX6R/636 that I'm going to work on for a friend's track bike. I'll let you know how goes with the Log Box Pro...it may take a little bit to get it all set up and working, but it will be really slick for tuning the bike.

It's funny, after all this....I'm going to look at an old ZX7R tomorrow for a potential track project. No EFI there;).

Cheers,
Cory
« Last Edit: April 11, 2014, 11:41:12 pm by Rembrant »
“If you're not a liberal at twenty you have no heart, if you're not a conservative at forty you have no brain.” ~ Winston Churchill.

Offline Turbo

• Moped
  • AREA: Southeast Area
  • Membership Level: Expired - Expired Term
« Reply #103 on: April 12, 2014, 11:29:51 am »
Cory; The fuel maps are the same for the 6 gears. What is different is that the ram air compensation gets more as the speed increases. That's why the fueling gets richer in the higher gears. It actually makes it a little quicker to see if a bike wants a richer mixture or not because you can do a run in 4TH gear, and then do it in 6th, and if it makes more power you know it likes it richer because the 6th gear pull will be richer due to the ram air compensation. The Woolich is a great tool, and will only get better with time, but for the average person who thinks they are going to make changes and then ride the bike and then make changes again, they will just get lost very quickly. The log box pro would be the only way you could do it that way. Mike.

Offline LSGiant

• Officer
  • Crotch Rocket
  • AREA: North Central Area
  • COG#: 7524
  • Membership Level: Area Director
« Reply #104 on: May 24, 2014, 12:25:38 am »
Just wondering if anybody has got a around to loading some maps to their C14. I have not and I just installed a different exhaust. I have been to busy riding but might get a little break to tinker.
It's not a competition, It's a demonstration. "Rowan"
COG 7524 IBA 46513 GLMC 214
16 KTM 690R, 11 Concours 14, 07 Ninja 650 R

Offline Rembrant

• Low Brow Realist
  • Crotch Rocket
« Reply #105 on: May 26, 2014, 10:29:02 am »
Just wondering if anybody has got a around to loading some maps to their C14. I have not and I just installed a different exhaust. I have been to busy riding but might get a little break to tinker.

I've done very little. I've loaded a BIN File on another C14 besides my own, but I haven't done much else. My C14 has been parked for a few weeks. I've just been busy with a bunch of other stuff.

My new C14 exhaust is supposed to be shipping this week, so once that arrives I will be digging into the ECU stuff again. I've just been swamped lately with bike stuff and some home renos. Just starting to get caught up on everything, and I have some goodies arriving soon, so I should be getting back at it soon.

Rem ;D

Offline Rembrant

• Low Brow Realist
  • Crotch Rocket
« Reply #106 on: June 22, 2014, 11:45:04 pm »
Ok, bit of an update here.

My Area-P full exhaust system showed up a week or so ago....three days short of the seven month anniversary of me ordering and paying for it...lol. They say patience is a virtue, right?
Anyway, I've been too busy to do anything with my C14 lately, but I finally dug back into it last night and today.

Full exhaust system installed, and BMC air filter. Then removed all of the Power Commander parts...PC5, Autotune, and LCD screen. Then, installed the Woolich Log Box Pro, and tuned up my FI ECU.

The LBP was a snap to install...between it and the Zeitronix WB02 kit, I don't think I was 45 minutes. Of course I was able to re-use the switched power leads for the PC Autotune, so that saved some time.

It took a little fiddlin' around to get through the software, communication issues, and configuration settings, but I finally got it sorted out in the end. The default minimum engine temp setting for tuning was set at 80 degrees C, and once I realized that my engine temp wasn't hitting 80, I found out why I wasn't logging any data. :o

Anyway, I did two data logging runs and various speeds and throttle positions, with a few hard pulls through the gears to 10k or so. After I loaded the files from the second autotune, my ECU TPS fuel mapping is within' 1-2 percent of my target AFR at almost all settings with the exception of a few cells. I will do a lot more fine tuning, but so far, it's really slick.

The great thing is how precise and clean everything is to work with. The Log Box Pro logs data from the IAP map and the TPS maps, so when you apply the changes, it creates nice smooth maps, and the transition from the IAP map to the TPS map is seamless...no throttle snatch that I could notice.

On top of that, I bumped the rev limiter up to 10,500 RPM, and disabled the top speed limiter as well....and it works, I went well over 160 MPH on one of my test runs, and not a hiccup;).

Anyway, I have a lot more work and tuning to do, so I'll keep you guys posted. As it stands, she's working fantastic, and the power delivery is delicious. ;D ;D ;D ;D

Cheers,
Rem
« Last Edit: June 22, 2014, 11:51:30 pm by Rembrant »

Offline Jon

• Mini Bike
  • AREA: Southwest Area
  • COG#: Forum
« Reply #107 on: August 28, 2014, 05:15:27 pm »
Thanks for being the pioneer here Rem! Now I can bennifit from all your hard work!  >:D
Taking the family on an end of summer vacation for Labor day, so I will have plenty of time to start playing with this while they are off with their friends.

Offline Rembrant

• Low Brow Realist
  • Crotch Rocket
« Reply #108 on: August 28, 2014, 05:20:56 pm »
Thanks for being the pioneer here Rem! Now I can bennifit from all your hard work!  >:D
Taking the family on an end of summer vacation for Labor day, so I will have plenty of time to start playing with this while they are off with their friends.

Great stuff! Glad to hear that you're getting it all sorted out and having fun with it.

It's a really neat system for the DIY types. I've learned a lot and had a lot of fun with my set-up.

Keep us posted how it goes Jon,

Rem :great:

Offline Jon

• Mini Bike
  • AREA: Southwest Area
  • COG#: Forum
« Reply #109 on: September 09, 2014, 01:13:52 pm »
Well after some tweaking to the STP, TPS and IAP maps I can say that my highly tuned butt dyno felt a difference.   :motonoises:  :))
The bottom end is a TON better. No more sluggish starts and then a surge of power when you hit the mid RPM range. Just smooth power from the get go. Under WOT shifting from 1st to 2nd and then 2nd to 3rd, I could feel the front end picking up just a little bit before. Now it comes up a bit more. Not a ton where I am doing wheelie's down the freeway, but enough that I can tell since shafties can't wheelie, right Rev??  ;)

Deceleration is a lot better now. Before it was really jerky, pushing me forward on the handle bars, now it is just smooth and easy.

I am still getting a backfire here and there when down shifting on deceleration. I'll have to see if that is something I can work out.  ???

Hopefully in the next year I'll be picking up some ZX14 TB's to throw in.  >:D

Jon