Author Topic: Zumo 665 and Cardo Q3 headset..  (Read 9356 times)

Offline rob

• Road Bike
  • AREA: Southeast Area
  • Membership Level: Forum Subscriber
Zumo 665 and Cardo Q3 headset..
« on: October 06, 2013, 04:27:32 pm »
As the title states, that is my entertainment and technology setup on my 2013 connie.  The gps works great as a navigator, music player, and xm player.  The cardo works great for my girl and I to communicate.  However, with the zumo and cardo connected through bluetooth, the xm reception immediately goes to one bar, or i lose it completely for long periods of time. The music player will randomly freeze, and I have to reset the gps to work it again.  Now, when it freezes, or when there is no xm reception, I turn my headset off, and the music starts playing again, and the xm reception goes straight to 3 bars!  What a bunch of shite!! Has anyone had experience with this?

So, I would like to know if the following will work (if there is no good bluetooth solution):  Bypass bluetooth completely by connecting with a 3.5mm cable the gps to my headset.  However, I would need a 3.5mm splitter cable to plug into my headset, thus making me able to plug both my speaker cable and gps cable into the splitter.  Will this work???

Offline gpete

• Mini Bike
  • AREA: North Central Area
  • COG#: forum
Re: Zumo 665 and Cardo Q3 headset..
« Reply #1 on: October 06, 2013, 09:17:09 pm »
Yes. Move the XM puck away from the GPS by about 12-18". This should resolve the interference between the BT and XM. I also have had issues with the BT music getting into a sort of repeating loop. I usually power cycle my Sena headset (I don't lose the GPS screen that way and it is faster to restart than the zumo). Call Garmin and let them know about the issue.

I'm not sure I follow about the splitter cable. Are you saying that your Cardo does not have a 3.5 input and you want to wire directly to the speakers in your helmet? This would be a problem. Basically you would have the cardo and zumo amplifier outputs hooked directly together.

2012 Candy Arabian Red

Offline rob

• Road Bike
« Reply #2 on: October 06, 2013, 09:24:23 pm »
So, I found a splitter cable that is one male split to 2 females.  I was wondering about plugging that splitter cable into my Q3 (where my speakers usually plug in), and then plug the gps and speaker cable into the 2 female plugs....the thought process being that I could hardwire the gps and get sound from both the gps and headset. 

Offline Gypsy JR

• American Gypsy
  • I Need a Life
  • Living the Gypsy Life
  • COG#: 9279
  • Membership Level: Active
« Reply #3 on: October 07, 2013, 09:03:54 am »
When I first got my 665 (after Garmin comped me one for free after 3 of the 550s failed in short order) I tried to mount the GPS and the XM antenna on one mount. Still have the disk bracket which fastens on the back of the GPS cradle.

Wouldn't work worth beans. So I moved it to the other side of the bike, sitting on the ram air tunnel cover, up close to the windshield end of it. Works perfectly there.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
2017 Forest River Flagstaff Super-V 27VRL travel trailer
Where are you? [insert random forest name]

Offline rob

• Road Bike
« Reply #4 on: October 07, 2013, 09:18:50 am »
The important part of my original post is that it stops working with the mp3 player too...so its not just about xm reception.  the music on the mp3 player will "skip" and then freeze....i turn my headset off at this point, and the music starts playing perfectly.  it just so happens that the xm will have full reception and play as well, but the mp3 player freezing is weird.  its obviously not compatible with the cardo for some reason, and thats were i need help. 

Offline Gypsy JR

• American Gypsy
  • I Need a Life
  • Living the Gypsy Life
« Reply #5 on: October 07, 2013, 11:23:50 am »
Ok, missed your point.

When the cardo unit plays music, it should sense when the GPS is issuing instructions and mute the music until the GPS is finished. Same with a phone call, if you "pick up" the phone, the cardo should mute the music but not the GPS (though on some you can set it in options what it does).

My Schuberth C3 SRC (built in com and FM radio system, replaces the plain neck pad in the back and has control buttons on the left side) works perfectly with my 665, and reacts as described above. I did have to use the pc program you can download to increase the volume of Jill slightly and took some fiddling to get the XM volume up high enough.

It worked when I was bluetooth fine. Now I am wired (like it better, sounds clearer but probably really isn't) and it still works fine.

But I have tried other bluetooth helmet speakers / mics and they often need a lot of option setting to make them work right.

I have found that various implementations of Scala / Cardo don't play well with each other. But all bluetooth should work exactly the same, and that is how you interface with the GPS.

My first try was an HJC implementation and I had some problems with it, but it did seem to do bluetooth with the GPS fine. I hated the helmet though.

On a long ride with my mc last year (2012) I was in contact with my friend and both he and his girlfriend had C3s with SRCs too. We had a 3 way conversion going, and it would mute me when their GPS was talking to them, and when one of them got on the phone. Was kind of fun. But others in the ride with other Scala/Cardo units could not play with us.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Offline rob

• Road Bike
« Reply #6 on: October 07, 2013, 12:46:36 pm »
Yes, I'm afraid that I'm just s*** out of luck when it comes to pairing these 2 specifically.  I'll look into the Schuberth however.  The only other good unit I  knew about was the Sena.  Thanks for the assistance.

Offline rob

• Road Bike
« Reply #7 on: October 07, 2013, 01:04:00 pm »
JR-

I just looked into SChuberth, and I didn't realize it's a whole new helmet and system built in.  It actually looks pretty cool.  Are they as quiet as they advertise?  Also, what's pricing like for the helmet and src component?

Offline Gypsy JR

• American Gypsy
  • I Need a Life
  • Living the Gypsy Life
« Reply #8 on: October 07, 2013, 03:35:35 pm »
JR-

I just looked into SChuberth, and I didn't realize it's a whole new helmet and system built in.  It actually looks pretty cool.  Are they as quiet as they advertise?  Also, what's pricing like for the helmet and src component?

Yes, they are very quiet. And comfortable, once you get used to all parts of your head being in contact with the foam padding inside. Sort of like a glove. Seemed strange to me the first couple times I put it on, now it feels like it should be that way.

I recommend you buy your C3 (or the new version) at fc-moto.de and when you do, and set your $ to US and address to US, the VAT drops off and they didn't charge me shipping. I have yet to find anyone in the US who will actually sell me one for as low a price, and then some have to charge tax and many charge shipping. If they even have the color / size you want.

I have to warn you, these are expensive helmets. Worth it imho but still a lot of coin. If mine "broke" now I could not replace it for a long time.

I wore an XL in Shark, and HJC, and Shoei, and the XL C3 fits perfectly.

Buy the SRC in the US, online, just google something like "Schuberth C3 SRC retail" and you will find sources, take the cheapest one. fc-moto.de wants too much for the SRC.

Offline rob

• Road Bike
« Reply #9 on: October 07, 2013, 04:02:07 pm »
In your original post you said something about downloading a program to make "Jill" louder.  What are you talking about there?

Offline Gypsy JR

• American Gypsy
  • I Need a Life
  • Living the Gypsy Life
« Reply #10 on: October 07, 2013, 04:24:03 pm »
In your original post you said something about downloading a program to make "Jill" louder.  What are you talking about there?

The voice on my GPS which gives directions is Jill. They have quite a few and you can download more. Jill wasn't loud enough sometimes, so I used the TTS Voice Editor to increase her volume. I also changed some of her responses. So instead of saying "Recalulating" she says "Oh MAN! We are lost AGAIN!

Link: http://turboccc.wikispaces.com/TTSVoiceEditor

Offline Udoggie

• Scooter
  • AREA: Northwest Area
  • COG#: 10480
  • Membership Level: Expired - Expired Term
« Reply #11 on: October 08, 2013, 03:36:43 am »
For what it's worth, I totally gave up on BT headsets.  None would do everything that I needed.

(Phone, GPS, MP3, and  2m 2-way radio)

I went with an Autocom.  Spendy, but it really, really works well.

Jeff

Offline Gypsy JR

• American Gypsy
  • I Need a Life
  • Living the Gypsy Life
« Reply #12 on: October 08, 2013, 09:13:30 am »
+1 Udoggie

As much as I tried to be cheap in the beginning after I got a Zumo with XM and Bluetooth, all of my "inexpensive" solutions failed relatively quickly. Quickly to me is a riding season. My Schuberth C3 is almost 3 years old and going strong (as far as the commo part).

Offline rob

• Road Bike
« Reply #13 on: October 08, 2013, 12:29:06 pm »
So it looks like my girlfriend and I are getting the Schuberth c3 pro helmets with the src communication system.  You've had absolutely no problems with bluetooth and your 665, wired or no?  Even when trying to communicate with a passenger and then going back to music?  And it doesn't mess up your xm reception either?  Also, can you use a 3.5mm to usb cable to hardwire the gps into the src?  I see it only has a usb plug in, so is that where the gps would plug in?

Offline Gypsy JR

• American Gypsy
  • I Need a Life
  • Living the Gypsy Life
« Reply #14 on: October 08, 2013, 01:23:36 pm »
So it looks like my girlfriend and I are getting the Schuberth c3 pro helmets with the src communication system.  You've had absolutely no problems with bluetooth and your 665, wired or no?  Even when trying to communicate with a passenger and then going back to music?  And it doesn't mess up your xm reception either?  Also, can you use a 3.5mm to usb cable to hardwire the gps into the src?  I see it only has a usb plug in, so is that where the gps would plug in?

What I did was buy a usb to stereo phono jack cable. The usb socket accepts the dongle from the SRC that is used for charging. Lo-And-Behold it will also transmit sound to and from the SRC. Schuberth got that right!

On my right ram air tunnel cover, where the two BMW heat sockets are, I put a stereo phono socket with a cover. To do that I had to gut a BMW socket (with cover) and then center the stereo phono socket in it and fill it with epoxy putty. When it hardened it looked like I had purchased it. I have used it in a torrential rainstorm twice, without a single problem. I did use a beefy male stereo phono jack plug so it completly covers the socket when pushed in.

The underside of the stereo phono socket is hooked up to the Zumo 665 cradle audio wire, which most people don't use.

I used mine originally as bluetooth and it worked fine. When Jill talked (GPS) the music muted. When she stopped, the music came back after a short delay. When I talked to the 2 friends on the BMW bike riding right behind me, they heard me fine so I assume their music / GPS shut up for the commo. When they talked to me (we had it set so we had to push a button on the SRC to initiate talk - sort of like push-to-talk - so we could listen to music and they could chat privately) I heard them and my music muted, then came back when we quit talking to each other.

Wired it works exactly the same way, and I can't tell much of a difference, though I am convinced the XM stereo sounds better after I converted to wired mode. May not be, but no matter.

It just takes reading the SRC manual and doing it a few times to get used to which button to push. You may want to make your commo push-to-talk too so passenger can not listen to music if desired, or can if desired. Just experiment, it works exactly as the manual says, too.

Have fun! I am jealous of you guys getting C3 Pro's I want one so bad, I'd even give up my Limited Edition Carbon Fiber C3 despite the fact they haven't been available for over a year and probably never will be. LOL. The Pro's are an improvement over an already fantastic helmet and commo system.

Offline Egodriver71

• Crotch Rocket
  • I'm in here somewhere
  • COG#: 8321
« Reply #15 on: October 09, 2013, 01:12:12 pm »
I run the Zumo 665 and the UClear200 headset.

XM antenna is mounted on the left inner fairing panel.

No issues :great:
Thomas Mann
Jacksonville, FL

COG #8321

1930 Indian 101 Scout (the first bike)(still in the garage)
1986 Yamaha Radian (the first modern bike)(Sold)
1996 Kawasaki Vulcan 500LTD (the wife's first bike)
1996 Kawasaki Eliminator (Wife's)
1999 Kawasaki Concours (The Warbird)
2006 Kawasaki Vuclan 900 (Wife's)
2009 Kawasaki Concours 14 (Totaled)
2009 Kawasaki Concours 14 (Second Chance)

Offline C14lvr

• Street Cruiser
  • AREA: South Central Area
  • COG#: Forum
« Reply #16 on: October 09, 2013, 11:54:59 pm »
I've heard that certain models of the Schumer C3 coms are made by Cardo, and will pair up with Scala Riders... Through the G9 series.

Buddy of mine bought a new K1600GTL, got a pair of Schumer C3's, but went with the BMW comm instead.

So, now when he, my other friend who uses a G9, and I ride together, (I also use a G9), he gets left outta the conversation.

Choose wisely!
2011 C14 ABS (current bike)
1982 Yamaha XJ1100J (sold)
1979 Yamaha XS11 (3200 original miles)
In the warden's words from Cool Hand Luke;
"What we have here is a failure to communicate."

Offline Gypsy JR

• American Gypsy
  • I Need a Life
  • Living the Gypsy Life
« Reply #17 on: October 10, 2013, 01:46:56 pm »
Did you mean Schuberth ?

I don't think the SRC (comms package add on) is actually made by Cardo, but I do know that is Cardo / Scala compliant. Which means if it can't connect to a non-Schuberth comms unit then one or the other is not compliant, or more interestingly, blocking connection of other company's unit.

I've seen this so often that I am beginning to think it is on purpose. The Cardo and Scala specifications are not all that complicated.

Offline mattchewn

• I Need a Life
  • AREA: Northeast Area
  • COG#: 10993
« Reply #18 on: October 10, 2013, 02:08:21 pm »
JR,
The Schuberth bluetooth is built by Cardo  ( scala rider) and is based on the G4 system. Watch the reviews on Revzilla's site.
Matt
2018 H2 SXSE.  (FAT SXSE)
2011 GSX1250 FA
2009 Ninja 500R. (wifes')
2001 Bandit 650  (kids')

Offline Gypsy JR

• American Gypsy
  • I Need a Life
  • Living the Gypsy Life
« Reply #19 on: October 10, 2013, 10:20:45 pm »
JR,
The Schuberth bluetooth is built by Cardo  ( scala rider) and is based on the G4 system. Watch the reviews on Revzilla's site.
Matt

Cool, I didn't know that. Is Cardo a German company like Schuberth ? If this is the case, why can't a Scala Rider headset connect to a C3 SRC unit? This has mystified me for a long time.   ;)

Offline mattchewn

• I Need a Life
  • AREA: Northeast Area
  • COG#: 10993
« Reply #20 on: October 11, 2013, 02:50:35 am »

Cool, I didn't know that. Is Cardo a German company like Schuberth ? If this is the case, why can't a Scala Rider headset connect to a C3 SRC unit? This has mystified me for a long time.   ;)
[/quote]
My guess is that they want all the credit and no competition. Would be far too easy to make it a great product instead of just good and overpriced. Likewise no one would willingly pay 200$ more for the same thing if they could buy the Cardo instead. 429$ is kinda steep in my opinion. I admit it is nice the wayit fits the helmet though.
Matt
2018 H2 SXSE.  (FAT SXSE)
2011 GSX1250 FA
2009 Ninja 500R. (wifes')
2001 Bandit 650  (kids')

Offline rob

• Road Bike
« Reply #21 on: October 11, 2013, 07:58:36 am »
Yeah, I think you're def paying for the looks and efficiency.  I mean, it does look badass.  I can't wait to pick up my helmet tomorrow!  Besides the comm part, the helmet is still worth it for the quietness, comfort, etc....but quietness especially.

Offline Gypsy JR

• American Gypsy
  • I Need a Life
  • Living the Gypsy Life
« Reply #22 on: October 11, 2013, 09:01:49 am »
Yeah, I think you're def paying for the looks and efficiency.  I mean, it does look badass.  I can't wait to pick up my helmet tomorrow!  Besides the comm part, the helmet is still worth it for the quietness, comfort, etc....but quietness especially.

+1.

I have found the SRC to be far superior to other solutions for the C3 helmet. It is integrated into the padding of the helmet as a direct replacement for the back neck pad. So it still has to fulfill that function in the event of a crash. I suspect this is where a lot of the price comes from.

Secondly, the range of function is second to none. I can run the SRC with the left side thumb buttons without ever looking at them, and that includes multi-way communications sync and push-to-talk, FM stereo radio, XM stereo radio, volume, and a couple minor things. And nobody even knows it is there unless they know what to look for.

So ya, the SRC, like the C3 helmet itself, is expensive. But you get every penny you pay for them back in functionality, ease of operation, comfort, and quietness.

I've had other expensive helmets that hurt my head after riding for 4 or 5 hours, much less by the time the sun started to go down. The C3 doesn't do that, it fits like a glove, and the only Cardo / Scala solution that makes sense for a C3 is the SRC.

So I didn't mind paying for the SRC. But I agree, I would like it a lot more if it was only $80. But then it would be in a hard plastic case that clipped onto the side of my helmet.
« Last Edit: October 11, 2013, 09:07:18 am by JR »

Offline C14lvr

• Street Cruiser
« Reply #23 on: October 16, 2013, 10:15:22 pm »
Did you mean Schuberth ?

Yes, my bad... Typo..... Geez... Gettin' old, I guess! Lol

Sorry...

Offline C14lvr

• Street Cruiser
« Reply #24 on: October 16, 2013, 10:31:21 pm »
JR,
Matt

Cool, thanks. That's what I had heard.

To answer the question about where is Cardo Scala Rider made?
Definitely not Germany.

Looked on my G9 box... Made In CHINA.
Says on the box, " For sale only in North America".

I've had a lot of issues with my G9, as well as lots of problems with my Android cell.
However, range isn't one of the issues.
Line of site, my set works up to about a mile apart... Very clear.
Great volume, once I got the helmet speakers properly placed.