Author Topic: 86 Concours for sale, $1200 Richmond VA, the bike that destroyed my marriage  (Read 576 times)

Offline pjbaldes

• Big Wheels
  • AREA: Northeast Area
  • Membership Level: Forum Subscriber
So I had a 97 green connie, that I frickin loved. really, I loved it, rode everyday, rain or shine, reason or not. Kid in my neighborhood reacts to childhood trauma and sets it on fire in front of my house. see pics:
https://www.flickr.com/photos/peterbaldes/2094563323/
https://www.flickr.com/photos/peterbaldes/2095331860/

So I get a little insurance money and I buy dr200 and then I buy the president of the cog group's 86, all pimped out, pride and joy, 100000 mile concours. Impeccably maintained and then I guarantee him it is going to a good caring home.
I then proceed to use it to meet another crazy person, regularly, until circumstances force me to end my marriage and question many of my choices.
this is like 9 years ago now. bike has sat(covered outside) for almost as long.
its a project bike, battery, tires, needs some welding for the fairing on the headset, CARBS, all that. its a project. like a winter project.

I dont want to talk about it, thats why im writing this. I dont want to let you take off the tank and fairing and assess.. I want it gone. so decide now.
you bring ramps, a truck, a friend, cash and I point you to the bike.  handshake if im not too ashamed.

its an 86 connie, with original bags, with all of (rich's?) parts from murph and its been sitting since my marriage dissolved 7 years ago.
it just embarrases me and I dont want to talk about it.
I think I have the title but If I cant find in 24 hours Ill get you another clean one and drive it (the title) to you, bike is not running.
if you think my price is crazy, make me an offer. if Rich is still on COG, it should go back to him, with apologies, but for a g, or we can talk.

Offline pjbaldes

• Big Wheels
  • AREA: Northeast Area
I have a tank bag, and probably some size 11 boots and maybe some jackets and stuff too.rain pants.. and I pulled some parts off the burnt bike that were ok, bar ends, stainless hardware... theres stuff in the shed is what im saying.. its comes with the bike. if u need details i can look in the morning

Offline MAN OF BLUES

• I Need a Life
  • AREA: North Central Area
  • COG#: 5977
  • Membership Level: Active
OMG....
I've been wondering since you called me about buying it back, where it ended up....
Now I know.

I really should not have sold it when I did, but momma convinced me that I had too many bikes..
I truely loved that machine, I along with some other people that knew that bike, considered it the best running, and mechanically sound 86 in COG, at least in the N/E area...
I wish it had been stored inside so as not to deteriorate, it took me years to make it "just right" for me...
I'm up in Ohio now, and might consider taking it if it isn't selling as is...

Oh, I wasn't "the president", I was the Technical Editor when I sold it,  the Executive Director at the time, also a Richmond resident, and best friend, still has an 86 tucked away in a storage unit, but he was the person that pointed me to the bike I sold, and got me into COG...  I might have him stop by and look at it for me so I can decide if I want to follow up on it, or let it be.
Shoot me a p/m, and we can discuss further

Please... we need to talk....
Thanks.
« Last Edit: October 09, 2017, 07:40:55 pm by MAN OF BLUES »

30 YEARS OF KAW.....Rich R. (the other one..)  COG 5977  JUSTAMEMBAHNOW

Offline MAN OF BLUES

• I Need a Life
Just in case I can't strike an agreement on getting this back, I'll list what has been done to it when I owned it..
poured a lot of money into it for sure, and the time.. well...  :-X :'(

when sold, this bike had 138,000 miles +/- and when I purchased it, the only modifications from stock were the seat, and a stick on thermometer tape on the mirror.
Once I had it in my hands I did the following additions..
Multiple sets of Avon Azaro's, had new when sold.
rebuilt all calipers, and master cylinders
rebuilt clutch slave
 new clutch friction plates and new style star spring retrofit
Galfer stainless steel braided brake and clutch lines.
new OEM brake and clutch levers
new OEM throttle cables (both)
Galfer Green pads on all brakes. (new second set installed)
EBC UltraLite front rotors.
replaced all wheel bearings.
Progresive Suspension fork springs.
Targa dark tint windshield
Murph's/KB Mfg tubular bar mounts.
SuperBike tubular bars, and new grips
Hard mounted GPS bal swivel mount in front top fller pan over dash'
mounted to sub structure, with wire harness in place.
NEW unused prior, OEM old stock fuel tank. New In box when installed.
new OEM fuel petcock
Accell 7mm silicone copper stranded sparkplug wires.
Odyssey sealed battery, 2 years old
newly rebuilt (by me) waterpump.
new seals on all coolant logs, and thermostat housing, and new thermostat.
K&N airfilter. filter box crack free as I modified filter with thinner top foam seals.
new carb boots, both sides, and clamps.
Personally rebuilt carbs, to MY specs..
rebuilt and robustly soldered J Box
new OEM pre '94 cam chain adjuster.
NEW unused prior, fully chromed mufflers from '06 spares bikes (Squad Outfitters)
NAPA 80/100 headlight bulb, with High temp bakelite socket, and rewire.
all signal lamps replaced prior to sale.
seat was a Corbin base, modded by prior owner and covered with a OEM cover.
(I couldn't bring myself to part with either of my leather Corbins for the price as sold)

oh, the stickers on the bike, well, it was ridden... for sure..
almost forgot, the bottle of expensive Champagne for the new owners, in the saddlebag

it was a sad day for me, the day I shot the photo of it going bye bye..

Offline coffee_brake

• Crotch Rocket
  • AREA: Southeast Area
  • COG#: 7653
My heart hurts... :(
Jenn in "Chaahlston, y'all...."

Offline alan

• Road Bike
  • AREA: Northwest Area
  • COG#: 11951
Boo-Hoo-Hoo... OK, dry y'all's tears. $1200 for a '86 sitting in the weather for seven years with well over 100,000 miles? After the few good parts are removed it leaves someone with the mess of getting rid of the carcass. Real Life Value = $0. Buy lunch for whomever comes to take it away. Bikes don't ruin marriages, people ruin marriages. Happy Motoring.
....ride like the one-eyed Jack of Diamonds with the Devil close behind...
"The test of the machine is the satisfaction it gives you. There isn't any other test. If the machine produces tranquility, it's right. If it disturbs you, it's wrong until either the machine or your mind is changed."
-Robert M. Pirsig

Offline RodWpg

• Crotch Rocket
  • COG#: Forum
 :iagree:
2003 concours winnipeg manitoba canada

Offline MichiGlenn

• Road Bike
  • "Wherever you are, be all there" Jim Elliot
  • COG#: 10892
I feel for MOB giving up a bike he'd obviously put his heart and soul into (not to mention a few dollars ) only to have it parked and ignored. I hope he can get it back and turn it into a Phoenix.
2001 C-10
1977 Honda CB750K Sold
1978 Honda CB750K Long Gone
1972 Honda CL175 Ancient History
Heald Super Tryke 8hp, Wards T555 Trike

Offline coffee_brake

• Crotch Rocket
  • COG#: 7653
My bike is a lot more than the sum of the cost of its parts. It's just another beat-up C-10 with over 100k to Alan and most other folks, and that's completely understandable. But to me it's been the means to seeing the country, meeting all y'all, fantastic soul-fulfilling ride--and keeping it running well myself has given me a sense of identity that making new bike payments never could.

So was this '86 once upon a time.

Yep, boo-hoo-hoo. It makes me sad for the humans involved, though the bike is just a machine.
Jenn in "Chaahlston, y'all...."

Offline turbo-max

• Crotch Rocket
  • COG#: 10445
Boo-Hoo-Hoo... OK, dry y'all's tears. $1200 for a '86 sitting in the weather for seven years with well over 100,000 miles? After the few good parts are removed it leaves someone with the mess of getting rid of the carcass. Real Life Value = $0. Buy lunch for whomever comes to take it away. Bikes don't ruin marriages, people ruin marriages. Happy Motoring.

:c029: wow...not to be a D head, but you are a Richard Cranium for those words... :sign0099:
turbo lag is a courteous head start!    ~Jeff H
99 c-10 "the purple monster"
01 c-10 undergoing turbofacation     
03 c-10 some mods...alot of miles
several other c-10's in pieces!

Offline MAN OF BLUES

• I Need a Life

:c029: wow...not to be a D head, but you are a Richard Cranium for those words... :sign0099:

Easy folks, please,
If anyone has an issue, I understand, but considering all that transpired... not much can be done to turn back time.
I kinda agree with the "bike that caused my divorce" rediculous wording, the bike was not the responsible party.. and brutalizingly forcing it into a condition it sits in now, well, if youhave a shed... wtf? Put it in there.
I know more than "a couple" pe9ple, COG and non COG, that made hastey decisions on their marriage and such, and the results that transpired.. bike/wife/other person?  Bike ain't the issue.  Hell, I'm the posterchild for multi weddings.. third time I made it stick.. never considered tossing a perfectly good motorcycle into the abbyss over any of them. Ever.   Soo, I will not further comment on poor decisions, as everyday that goes by, without resolve, just makes the hole deeper. I put a lot of crap off, and say "I'll do it tomorrow..". But, at sometime, in my short life, tomorrow may not be there.
 :-X :truce:
I guess at this point it would be easier to accept it was stolen, parted out by a thief, or crashed and totaled, or even set fire to, as was the original bike I felt sorry for and sold mine, thinking "it would be cherished, and protected" ... I was wrong.
O/P PJB has expressed his embarresment in the neglect, and I can't dispute that part. I have someone willing to asess the current condition, and may make an offer on it, maybe...
I just have to will myself into a mode of thought, and expense, to once again have the bike I made over a 4 year period, that I sold for less than the parts I put into it.. not even adding my purchase price for the bike.
At the least, I'll get closure on my wondering.. and if it dies a silent death, so be it...

I'm a lot wiser now, from this experience. I will never "feel sorry" for someone else's misfortune, and try to compensate a strangers happiness, with a monetary loss on my part, ever again.

Peter,
I'm sorry for my diatribe here, but I did want to express the positive parts of this bikes composition, and if I do not strike a deal, at least people will know what I placed into this bike in the 4 years prior to selling it...
I have contacted my pal, Guy B. Young II the former exuctive director, and former Tech editor, and he will call you, to arrange an examination, to be reported back to me, which will reflect and allow me to ascertain if this is coming back home... or not.
I would appreciate you co operating with him, and allowing his close look...
The whole thing about "just load it up and take it away, after paying me" isn't gonna cut the mustard. For anyone. Richmond is a small place.
Thanks in advance.
Rich
« Last Edit: October 14, 2017, 06:09:10 pm by MAN OF BLUES »

Offline alan

• Road Bike
  • AREA: Northwest Area
  • COG#: 11951
Jenn, I'm with ya'. I feel the same about all my bikes I've owned over the last 50+ years... collectively. There have been a few bikes I have REALLY liked and have had some wonderful experiences with, but I don't want any of them back again. When it comes to moveable iron art I'm just not a romantic. If that makes me a DH in a persons eyes, wellll, I have a song for you select few. Yer kinda the taliban of message boards in that you try to squash or belittle folks who have viewpoints that you disagree with. It was written by ...self censored... and you can find it on Youtube. If the shoe doesn't fit don't wear it, but if it does.... dance the night away.   :nananana:
Happy Motoring; peace, out.
« Last Edit: October 15, 2017, 05:33:27 am by alan, Reason: I made my point »
....ride like the one-eyed Jack of Diamonds with the Devil close behind...
"The test of the machine is the satisfaction it gives you. There isn't any other test. If the machine produces tranquility, it's right. If it disturbs you, it's wrong until either the machine or your mind is changed."
-Robert M. Pirsig