Author Topic: Why can't COG pick a better forum format?  (Read 410 times)

Offline Pbfoot

• Crotch Rocket
  • AREA: South Central Area
  • COG#: 10807
  • Membership Level: Active
Why can't COG pick a better forum format?
« on: April 12, 2019, 02:06:23 am »
After 6 years of membership I'm curious why COG can't invest in a better forum format. I am on other car and motorcycle forums run by groups that have way less money and members. On those sites I am able to upload photos very easily. Very difficult to share here. Cash can't be the problem only a lack of leadership and willingness to change.
If you don't have time to do it right, when do you have time to do it over.                                                                17" wheels, Nissin 4 piston calipers.1kg Sonic Springs.Cartridge Fork Emulators. KB Brace. Galfer brake lines  Free power mod.

Offline Tundra

• 2012 Candy Arabian Red
  • Mini Bike
  • "SPORT" tourer
  • AREA: Southeast Area
  • COG#: 12916
Re: Why can't COG pick a better forum format?
« Reply #1 on: April 12, 2019, 09:40:28 am »
I post one of two ways, both easy.

1. click on the attachments and other option below and simply browse, click and attach from your photos.
2.Photo hosting website, copy direct link, click on the "insert image" icon above left and place link between the italics.

Offline ZXtasy

• Road Bike
  • It rides the bike or it gets the lotion!
  • AREA: Northwest Area
  • COG#: 12569
« Reply #2 on: April 12, 2019, 10:56:34 am »
I am on a lot of forums too, this one is not bad by far, bout middle for ease of use. YRMV
2013 ZG-1400, 2005 ZX-10R (Nekkid), 2012 TW-200, 1999 TW-200....and more to come.

Offline llmotoll

• Road Bike
  • AREA: Northeast Area
  • COG#: 10391
« Reply #3 on: April 12, 2019, 11:08:55 am »
photo upload test
2016 Moondust C14
2012 Kawasaki Concours 14 ABS ~ Sold      
2001 Suzuki SV650 ~ Sold
CDA#415

Offline llmotoll

• Road Bike
  • COG#: 10391
« Reply #4 on: April 12, 2019, 11:10:18 am »
i never upload photos on a regular basis. Would have to say that was pretty darn easy. I used the attachments and other options method.
2016 Moondust C14
2012 Kawasaki Concours 14 ABS ~ Sold      
2001 Suzuki SV650 ~ Sold
CDA#415

Offline Victor Salisbury

• Crotch Rocket
  • COG#: 3673
  • Membership Level: Event Host
« Reply #5 on: April 12, 2019, 11:53:24 am »
Yeah right, add attachment, browse for file and save,,,,,,,,,,buuuuut, if it's larger than 350KB, no load.  :truce:
and for those of us that aren't computer literate and don't have the techy know how to 'reduce' or shrink or whatever the heck it is, your out of luck.
And this was some change made a while ago to our forum. And no, I'm not going to generate an account at some picture hosting web page, provide the linky with a pinknail, or thumbnail, whatever it is called to attach.

And conversely, go to the "other" Concours forum, add attachment, browse, click same exact file, save, done. The size is not so restrictive(?), easy peasy‚Ķ...over  there.
Vic Salisbury
COG #3673 
'97 Connie "The Grinch" 
Sarasota, FL 
www.cog-online.org 
Stupid Hurts! Wearing protective gear is much more comfortable.

Offline ron203

• Officer
  • Iron Butt
  • COG#: 9847
  • Membership Level: Area Director
« Reply #6 on: April 12, 2019, 12:05:01 pm »
After 6 years of membership I'm curious why COG can't invest in a better forum format. I am on other car and motorcycle forums run by groups that have way less money and members. On those sites I am able to upload photos very easily. Very difficult to share here. Cash can't be the problem only a lack of leadership and willingness to change.

That process is underway. If you would like volunteer to assist, please message the IT team.
2014 C-14
2008 Goldwing

Offline Pbfoot

• Crotch Rocket
« Reply #7 on: April 12, 2019, 12:07:45 pm »
Glad to know something is being done. Is that a dig or do you really need help?
If you don't have time to do it right, when do you have time to do it over.                                                                17" wheels, Nissin 4 piston calipers.1kg Sonic Springs.Cartridge Fork Emulators. KB Brace. Galfer brake lines  Free power mod.

Offline ron203

• Officer
  • Iron Butt
« Reply #8 on: April 12, 2019, 12:35:58 pm »
Maybe a little of both, but if nobody asked you, how would you know?  ;D  but actually the BoD has been looking for help for some time now. No harm, no foul. If you  do want to help, PM Mike Ward.

The changeover to a new platform has been studied, evaluated, worked on, planned for and been underway for a while. I think there might be an article in the Concourier this time about it, if someone had time to write it. Everyone is a volunteer and no one does this full time, so everything takes longer.

On that note, I've now got to go to work.  Hang in there!

:beerchug:

Don't despair, but please do remember that we don't have full time people on this either.
2014 C-14
2008 Goldwing

Offline connie_rider

• "OtP" {retired/assistant} Slave Labor
  • I Need a Life
  • Help us make "OtP" possible! "AGAIN"
  • COG#: 4154
  • Membership Level: Asst. Area Director
« Reply #9 on: April 12, 2019, 12:49:52 pm »
My understanding is their very close to a new format.
It's not as easy as you may think as it's not just the Forum.
        I think it's the entire system.
              They'll get it done.

NOTE: I volunteered to help, but they laughed at me. Sed that would slow the process "a lot"!
          Thinking about it; all the laughter probably slowed the process for 2 meetings anyway..  :great:
                               I'm kumputer illiterate and proud of it!    :)

Ride safe, Ted
« Last Edit: April 12, 2019, 12:54:11 pm by connie_rider »
14 Connie (Traveler II) / 03 Connie (Buddy)
Gone but not forgotten; 87 and 00 Connies..

If your not already a COGger, "consider becoming one".
Help us make "OtP" possible again!!

Offline Pbfoot

• Crotch Rocket
« Reply #10 on: April 12, 2019, 12:50:02 pm »
Maybe a little of both, but if nobody asked you, how would you know?  ;D  but actually the BoD has been looking for help for some time now. No harm, no foul. If you  do want to help, PM Mike Ward.

The changeover to a new platform has been studied, evaluated, worked on, planned for and been underway for a while. I think there might be an article in the Concourier this time about it, if someone had time to write it. Everyone is a volunteer and no one does this full time, so everything takes longer.

On that note, I've now got to go to work.  Hang in there!

:beerchug:

Don't despair, but please do remember that we don't have full time people on this either.
Me too. 70 hour weeks for 2 years no end on sight.

Offline ron203

• Officer
  • Iron Butt
« Reply #11 on: April 12, 2019, 01:09:54 pm »
I  hear you. Two jobs, working toward retirement, hoping to make it before I die.  I walk by the  bikes in the garage every day on the way to the workmobile in the driveway, and well, you know what i think.

Hang in.
2014 C-14
2008 Goldwing

Offline Brian

• Scooter
  • AREA: North Central Area
  • COG#: 6374
  • Membership Level: Asst. Area Director
« Reply #12 on: April 12, 2019, 02:16:26 pm »

Currently, there is a  project underway to replace both the Member Management system and the forum.  The update will probably address most, if not all of your concerns. It is not something that can be done by the flip of the switch. Since we are not just an internet forum, but an actual organization with paid memberships there are  many moving parts that need to fit to make both systems work together.

Regarding your suggestion that a lack of leadership and a willing to change is holding us back. I assure you this is not the case, the COG Board of Directors would benefit greatly by rolling out the new systems and has committed the budget to do the upgrade and given a group of volunteers the support to work on the project.
The Other Brian in Minnesota
2010 Yamaha FJR

Offline JPD

• Mini Bike
  • COG#: 12064
« Reply #13 on: April 12, 2019, 02:35:42 pm »
As forums go this one is not too bad. The pages load quickly and I don't have to wait for several ads to load. It works much better on my tablet than others. To attach images the key is file size. If you don't know how to shrink them Google is your friend. If I take them with my phone I email them to my self and it will ask me what size I want to email them and I pick the smallest files size. I am them able to upload them to this forum. I use a pc not a touch screen when I am working with images. I just find it easier.

Offline who me?

• Street Cruiser
  • COG#: 11932
« Reply #14 on: April 12, 2019, 02:39:25 pm »
As forums go this one is not too bad. The pages load quickly and I don't have to wait for several ads to load. It works much better on my tablet than others. To attach images the key is file size. If you don't know how to shrink them Google is your friend. If I take them with my phone I email them to my self and it will ask me what size I want to email them and I pick the smallest files size. I am them able to upload them to this forum. I use a pc not a touch screen when I am working with images. I just find it easier.
+1
I have no idea about anything.
95 C10 The Mule
02 C10 parts are parts
08 FJR Self identifies as a C13

Offline Pbfoot

• Crotch Rocket
« Reply #15 on: April 12, 2019, 03:47:26 pm »

Currently, there is a  project underway to replace both the Member Management system and the forum.  The update will probably address most, if not all of your concerns. It is not something that can be done by the flip of the switch. Since we are not just an internet forum, but an actual organization with paid memberships there are  many moving parts that need to fit to make both systems work together.

Regarding your suggestion that a lack of leadership and a willing to change is holding us back. I assure you this is not the case, the COG Board of Directors would benefit greatly by rolling out the new systems and has committed the budget to do the upgrade and given a group of volunteers the support to work on the project.
Thanks for the reply. Glad you are working on it.

Offline MAN OF BLUES

• I Need a Life
  • COG#: 5977
« Reply #16 on: April 12, 2019, 08:33:55 pm »
active (paid) COG members can access the BOD meeting minutes, located on the COGMOs website library, and can go back and read about the progress of the "updated system progression", if they so desire. I am just tossing this out there, as a longtime member, with a desire to see progress.
 :campfire: :103: :a012: :campfire: :campfire: :103: :103: :a012:

30 YEARS OF KAW.....Rich R. (the other one..)  COG 5977  JUSTAMEMBAHNOW
and if you are gonna call me names... it's MR. Analdweeb if you please...

Offline lather

• Street Cruiser
    • West Florida Republic Riders Club
  • COG#: 10690
« Reply #17 on: April 12, 2019, 10:10:25 pm »
I am on a lot of forums too, this one is not bad by far, bout middle for ease of use. YRMV
I am also on several whiz bang forums, I dislike them. SMF is my preference as far as being a user. 

Offline MAN OF BLUES

• I Need a Life
  • COG#: 5977
« Reply #18 on: April 13, 2019, 12:06:51 am »
I am also on several whiz bang forums, I dislike them. SMF is my preference as far as being a user.

both this site, and the old one, run on SMF, and so far nither are willing to support the tie in for TapA Talk.. and both succumb to the same realms.. and all the brew-ha-ha- about any of them supporting the formats... are bunk... this site says because of all the "adders" they added, to provide a single source protected site, to do transactions (monetarily$$$ for business and dues, and rallies, and such), it doesn't "play well".. well,
all i can say is technology has far surpassed the willingness to "abide"''\
 the Dude abides...

I dunno.

30 YEARS OF KAW.....Rich R. (the other one..)  COG 5977  JUSTAMEMBAHNOW
and if you are gonna call me names... it's MR. Analdweeb if you please...

Offline lather

• Street Cruiser
    • West Florida Republic Riders Club
  • COG#: 10690
« Reply #19 on: April 13, 2019, 12:41:40 am »
ENGLISH PLEEEZ?