Author Topic: #@%&! fork seal leaking agian!  (Read 5210 times)

Offline tjhess74

• Street Cruiser
  • AREA: Southeast Area
  • COG#: 8406
  • Membership Level: Expired - Expired Term
#@%&! fork seal leaking agian!
« on: June 17, 2011, 12:08:55 am »
i just had the fork seals replaced less than a thousand miles ago, and i just discovered the left one is leaking AGAIN!!!  dammit man!  its been a rough past few months and this is just another kick in the shins. :(
Tom Hess  North Charleston, South Carolina    COG #8406  IBA #30337  CDA #248 (C10)    97 c10 (former)  08 c14 (current), 2007 Honda VFR800 RWB

Offline Cap'n Bob

• GOLD STAR
  • AREA: Northeast Area
  • COG#: 7134
  • Membership Level: Active
Re: #@%&! fork seal leaking agian!
« Reply #1 on: June 17, 2011, 12:13:09 am »
I don't know Tom. Maybe it's time for a new bike. 2011 maybe?  :)

Offline Fred_Harmon_TX

• COG Technical Editor
  • Industry Member
  • Iron Butt
    • Angel Ride Videos
  • AREA: South Central Area
  • COG#: 2170
« Reply #2 on: June 17, 2011, 12:43:33 am »
Carefully inspect your fork legs for any nicks or scratches. You may need to lightly sand them with an  fine grit emery cloth while they are apart. I've used rubbing compound on them before and gotten good results, though if you have an deeper scratches or nicks, you may need something a bit coarser, like 400# emery cloth.
Fred H.

Thanksgiving Sale in Effect now!  Concours 1400 Maintenance Videos 
http://www.angelridevideos.com

Offline KLRtoConnie

• Tricycle
  • AREA: Southwest Area
  • COG#: 9444
« Reply #3 on: June 17, 2011, 12:47:16 am »
Has anyone tried the Motion Pro Seal Repair Tool/

http://www.motionpro.com/motorcycle/partno/08-0395

I see them for sale in a few of the local Kawasaki / Honda dealers
2008 C14

Offline Fred_Harmon_TX

• COG Technical Editor
  • Industry Member
  • Iron Butt
    • Angel Ride Videos
  • COG#: 2170
« Reply #4 on: June 17, 2011, 01:24:42 am »

I haven't tried it, but I've heard of lots of reports where folks have fixed fork seals by using things like 35mm film wrapped around the fork leg and slid under the seal to clean out any trapped debris. I've not done it myself, but I've heard from others who have fixed leaking seals this way. I guess if your seal is leaking already, you really wouldn't have much to loose trying it.
Fred H.

Thanksgiving Sale in Effect now!  Concours 1400 Maintenance Videos 
http://www.angelridevideos.com

Offline rcannon409

• Street Cruiser
  • COG#: 9616
  • Membership Level: Forum Subscriber
« Reply #5 on: June 17, 2011, 01:34:09 am »
I bought one of the motion pro tools for my dirt bike.  Its easier to use than the film negative..which also works well.

Both are great if it is dirt or something lodged under the seal lip. You slide the negative, or strip under the seal, make a saw motion up and down, and hopefully pull the piece of dirt out. Obviously, it's no help on a damaged seal.

Ivans Ecu reflash, Brembo front rotors

Offline Desert rdr

• Tricycle
  • COG#: 9556
« Reply #6 on: June 17, 2011, 02:54:28 pm »
I have 2008 c-14. The right side fork seal started leaking at20,000 mi. Had it replaced under warranty. Then 2500 mi.s Later leaking agin. This time got the lower section of the fork was replaced under warranty.Got about 1500 miles this time,leaking agin. So back to the dealer. This time they replaced the entirer fork. I now have 58k with no problems. Bottom line it was a pain. Warranty covered every thing.

Offline JoeR

• Mini Bike
  • AMA 668669
  • AREA: North Central Area
  • COG#: 9284
« Reply #7 on: June 17, 2011, 04:34:24 pm »
I have 2008 c-14. The right side fork seal started leaking at20,000 mi. Had it replaced under warranty. Then 2500 mi.s Later leaking agin. This time got the lower section of the fork was replaced under warranty.Got about 1500 miles this time,leaking agin. So back to the dealer. This time they replaced the entirer fork. I now have 58k with no problems. Bottom line it was a pain. Warranty covered every thing.

That's good to know.

Offline Zorlac

• Crotch Rocket
  • Bulletproof, eh? I'll be the judge of that!
  • COG#: 6962
« Reply #8 on: June 18, 2011, 02:08:48 am »
FWIW, this worked on my FJR fork seal almost a year ago.
(A repost of my FJR forum post.)

I seem to have been able to stop the leak from my left fork seal.
I cut a piece of plastic from a grocery store strawberry container (it measured .015" thick) into the shape roughly equivalent to the seal mate gizmo, removed the fork tube from the bike and followed www.sealmate.net/instructions.html I wet the plastic with the sticky foam oil before inserting it into the seal, topped off my fork oil to the proper level and it seems to be OK for now.

COG #6962

Offline rcannon409

• Street Cruiser
« Reply #9 on: June 18, 2011, 03:12:43 am »
I'm dating myself a bit with this post, but oh well...

In the 70's we always swore by Bel Ray fork oil.  The reason being it had "seal swell"...the bottle said so, and often times it woudl stop a seal from leaking by just using that oil.  Apparently, the stuff had some alcohol in it and this made the seal swell some.

Back to modern times, that same motion pro tool dipped in some rubbing alcohol seams to do the same thing.

Offline Superdave

• Training Wheels
  • Upgraded from a 2000 to a 2011. No regrets.
  • AREA: Northwest Area
  • COG#: 10511
« Reply #10 on: June 23, 2011, 01:13:09 pm »
Sometimes fork and rear shock seals can be prone to leaking by something causing missalignment that pushes the fork leg or shick shaft to one side.  I have caused (by my own ignorance), and fixed seal leaks by correcting missalignment issues, without changing seals.

On front forks it is always worthwhile having the front wheel off and tightening everything up on the "triple tree", including any aftermarket or original fork brace, and measuring and checking for alignment, the bottoms of the front forks that bolt onto the axles.  If they are spread to wide, or to narrow, or the shaft recesses are not aligned straight, pushing them to bolt on the wheel or just tightening the axle clamps, will create stress on the guides and seals.

The fact that you had your forks rebuilt, and hopefully the tubes were inspected as part of the rebuild, might make it advisable to check alignment.  Hope this helps.
2011 Silver C14
1980 Goldwing Standard
1981 Goldwing Interstate
Looking for an older bike to "cafe"

Offline landofahhs

• Tricycle
  • Membership Level: Expired - Expired Term
« Reply #11 on: March 04, 2016, 08:33:30 pm »
Just to add to the info here....My 2009 Concours 14 ABS has 87,000 miles.  The front forks began leaking on the drivers left about 6 months ago.  It was fixed by my Kawasaki dealer under my extended warranty.  About a 3 month later the right side began leaking...once again it was fixed by the dealer, but it began leaking less than a month later and was returned for a second repair on the right side.  It's been less than two months and guess what?  The right side is leaking again.  Haven't contacted the dealer yet but will soon.
My bike has been one good ride...taken me from Maine to California and has never let me down even though I drive it year round 110 miles round trip almost every day to work.  I had my mind set on 100,000 miles, but it looks like something as minor as a front fork leak may be the bikes Achilles heal.  I've always trusted the dealer to do the correct and best job, but it seems fixing a fork seal may be beyond their ability or maybe the replacement parts just aren't very good...I don't know.
For what it's worth it's too bad such a dependable and good bike has to treated like a wounded race horse...I really don't want to put it out of its misery but what's a person to do if you can't depend on the dealer to fix their product? 
Shake it easy...

Offline jwh20

• Crotch Rocket
  • COG#: Forum
« Reply #12 on: March 04, 2016, 10:20:31 pm »

Yes and they work great.  Worth a try!!
2012 Concours 14 Arabian Red
"Debbie Downer" according to some...

Offline cuda

• Crotch Rocket
  • Ignorance Is Bliss.
  • COG#: 11405
« Reply #13 on: March 05, 2016, 12:25:17 am »
I have a set of stock forks for ya

Bought a ZX14 set and never installed

If you want them let me know

$200. 239 272 5613

jj
We have invented the world WE see .
It takes 20 years  to build a reputation and 5 minutes to lose it...   - Cog 11405

Offline seagiant1

• Sport Tourer
  • COG#: 11323
« Reply #14 on: March 05, 2016, 01:01:08 am »
Hi,
        Well...I'm not putting down the C14, it's a fantastic bike!

However I found the suspension lacking for me!

Upgraded my suspension for better ride quality, but maybe there were other benefits?

Just sayin! ;D
“If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen.” -Samuel Adams

"The further a society drifts from the truth, the more it will hate those that speak it"
"In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act." George Orwell

Offline mattchewn

• I Need a Life
« Reply #15 on: March 05, 2016, 12:12:27 pm »
Just to add to the info here....My 2009 Concours 14 ABS has 87,000 miles.  The front forks began leaking on the drivers left about 6 months ago.  It was fixed by my Kawasaki dealer under my extended warranty.  About a 3 month later the right side began leaking...once again it was fixed by the dealer, but it began leaking less than a month later and was returned for a second repair on the right side.  It's been less than two months and guess what?  The right side is leaking again.  Haven't contacted the dealer yet but will soon.
My bike has been one good ride...taken me from Maine to California and has never let me down even though I drive it year round 110 miles round trip almost every day to work.  I had my mind set on 100,000 miles, but it looks like something as minor as a front fork leak may be the bikes Achilles heal.  I've always trusted the dealer to do the correct and best job, but it seems fixing a fork seal may be beyond their ability or maybe the replacement parts just aren't very good...I don't know.
For what it's worth it's too bad such a dependable and good bike has to treated like a wounded race horse...I really don't want to put it out of its misery but what's a person to do if you can't depend on the dealer to fix their product?

Any bike with a lot of miles or even a lot of age is going to be subject to having the fork seals leak. There are different levels of seals just like there are different levels of techs to install them. At 87K I would have requested new bushing as well as the seals even if I had to pay out of pocket for them. I have done a few sets of seals now and while it is not a "hard" just to do it is also EXCEPTIONALLY easy to damage the seal on reinstallation as well. this may not result in an immediate leak but it will start leaking sooner rather than later.
You can easily get to 200K if you are willing to do the upkeep. NO BIKE available will go 100K or more without maintenance!
Matt

Ride it up here and I'll get you squared away. I have spare forks here if you need a leg lower as well.

2015 C14  Poison Ivy. I feel the itch!
2014 KTM 690 Enduro R  Wheelie sweet!!

Offline MAN OF BLUES

• I Need a Life
  • COG#: 5977
« Reply #16 on: March 05, 2016, 05:14:59 pm »
I'm dating myself a bit with this post, but oh well...

In the 70's we always swore by Bel Ray fork oil.  The reason being it had "seal swell"...the bottle said so, and often times it woudl stop a seal from leaking by just using that oil.  Apparently, the stuff had some alcohol in it and this made the seal swell some.

Back to modern times, that same motion pro tool dipped in some rubbing alcohol seams to do the same thing.

:rotflmao: :rotflmao: :rotflmao:
I'm dating myself here by saying this also, as a '70s bike owner, the secret ingredient called "seal swell" was no more than about a teaspoon of Glycyrin
it causes rubber to swell.

yep, that was the secret ingredient... :beerchug: :rotflmao:

30 YEARS OF KAW.....Rich R. (the other one..)  COG 5977  JUSTAMEMBAHNOW
and if you are gonna call me names... it's MR. Analdweeb if you please...

Offline rcannon409

• Street Cruiser
« Reply #17 on: March 06, 2016, 01:49:54 pm »
MOB, no way!  Is that all it was?  LOL

I have a seal saver, but a paper business card might even work better. Its porous, and sucks up the dirt that gets up in there better than the seal tools hard plastic.

Offline jwh20

• Crotch Rocket
« Reply #18 on: March 06, 2016, 06:47:02 pm »

I have a seal saver, but a paper business card might even work better. Its porous, and sucks up the dirt that gets up in there better than the seal tools hard plastic.

It's a pretty tight fit.  I'd be concerned that the paper business card might come apart.  I spent the big bucks (about $5) and bought the official Seal Mate for my ZRX.  Worked perfectly and it's not leaked a drop in 2 years.
2012 Concours 14 Arabian Red
"Debbie Downer" according to some...

Offline MAN OF BLUES

• I Need a Life
  • COG#: 5977
« Reply #19 on: March 06, 2016, 07:30:59 pm »

yep, when I was working for Yamaha in the 70's, we had a BelRay rep that revealed the secret to us at the shop, as we did a lot of dirtbikes at that time.
if you look at fluid compatabilty charts for various types of rubber seals, you will see that glycerin causes swelling of rubbers commonly used in seals.

as for that seal cleaning tool, back when we all used 35mm cameras, we simply took a strip of 35mm negative film, snipped the outer tie piece out of the edge notches where the drive gear used to advance the film was, turning it into a notched comblike edge, and slipped that film up between the seal and fork, did a couple circles, and pulled it out with all the gack trapped in those notches, film was the perfect thickness, and did not damage the seal... old school...
I've had good success using the thin clear plastic from a fresh fruit container, cut into a hook shape also for this, very thin stuff, maybe .005" thick, it works also.

the other old quick clean method was to clean the fork tube completely, using brake cleaner to remove any trace of oil, then do 2 wraps of celophane tape ( they old, clear stuff, prior to the "magic tape" produced as we see today", positiond about an inch from the seal, then bounce the forks a half dozen times, which pushed the debris inside the seal, and cleaned it, then carefully scrape the tape off. not the best idea, but we didn't have inverted forks back then, so the debris sank to the bottom, and lived there till you changed the fork oil.
« Last Edit: March 06, 2016, 07:38:28 pm by MAN OF BLUES »

30 YEARS OF KAW.....Rich R. (the other one..)  COG 5977  JUSTAMEMBAHNOW
and if you are gonna call me names... it's MR. Analdweeb if you please...