Author Topic: $600+ for breaking off the headlight bulb spring hook?!?  (Read 540 times)

Offline Kreton'sLC

• Moped
  • AREA: South Central Area
  • COG#: 13013
  • Membership Level: Active
$600+ for breaking off the headlight bulb spring hook?!?
« on: September 18, 2019, 12:22:55 am »
While changing bulbs I happened to over muscle one of the spring hooks and broke the little plastic anchor on the headlight reflector that the hook sits in.  So I figured I'd be out maybe $30 for a new reflector plus the PITA headlight disassembly and reassembly.  WRONG!!  Seems you can't buy reflectors or lenses separately, but instead must shell out over $600 (including tax) for a complete headlight assembly. 

Fortunately, I discovered the hook is really just a convenience and not a necessity since I was able to still secure the bulb collar reasonably well such that my beam is steady.  But still, what was Kawasaki thinking here?!?
2012 C14

Offline Daboo

• Global Moderator
  • Scooter
  • AREA: Northwest Area
  • COG#: 12797
Re: $600+ for breaking off the headlight bulb spring hook?!?
« Reply #1 on: September 18, 2019, 01:55:24 am »
On my BMW F800GT, it is much the same way.  The spring clip is held in place on a plastic mounting.  The plastic eventually breaks.  We use a flat piece of metal to hold the spring clip in place.  Anything will do, like a washer.  After that "fix", it lasts forever.

It takes time, because the headlight assembly has to be removed.  But once done, it lasts forever.

Chris
IBA# 49894 True Rounder = 0-20's - Rounder -- to -- 100's+ Red Hot Rounder

John 14:6

Offline Kreton'sLC

• Moped
« Reply #2 on: September 18, 2019, 03:47:06 pm »
On my BMW F800GT, it is much the same way.  The spring clip is held in place on a plastic mounting.  The plastic eventually breaks.  We use a flat piece of metal to hold the spring clip in place.  Anything will do, like a washer.  After that "fix", it lasts forever.

It takes time, because the headlight assembly has to be removed.  But once done, it lasts forever.

Chris

I'm going to order some new LEDs soon, so will probably try installing a washer that could fit over the back of the bulb against the bulb's collar and see if that helps make the rubber boot fit more snugly and exert more pressure on the bulb collar to keep it stable.
2012 C14

Offline Daboo

• Global Moderator
  • Scooter
  • AREA: Northwest Area
  • COG#: 12797
« Reply #3 on: September 18, 2019, 04:16:50 pm »
Take a look at this thread.  https://f800riders.org/forum/showthread.php/220673-How-te-replace-a-broken-headlight-retainer-clip

If I'm correct in my understanding, this is what happened to your bike. 

Here's another.  Both have some good pictures to help understand what is broken and how they fixed it.
https://f800riders.org/forum/showthread.php/89829-Headlight-beam-mounting-clip

In this second link, the author makes a "bracket".  Others have used a simple washer that you can find in your garage.

Chris
IBA# 49894 True Rounder = 0-20's - Rounder -- to -- 100's+ Red Hot Rounder

John 14:6

Offline Kreton'sLC

• Moped
« Reply #4 on: September 18, 2019, 05:47:11 pm »
Take a look at this thread.  https://f800riders.org/forum/showthread.php/220673-How-te-replace-a-broken-headlight-retainer-clip

If I'm correct in my understanding, this is what happened to your bike. 

Here's another.  Both have some good pictures to help understand what is broken and how they fixed it.
https://f800riders.org/forum/showthread.php/89829-Headlight-beam-mounting-clip

In this second link, the author makes a "bracket".  Others have used a simple washer that you can find in your garage.

Chris

Thanks Chris.  The second set of pictures is similar to what I had in mind, but I may see if the paperclip spring as in the first set of pics might work first.
2012 C14

Offline Kreton'sLC

• Moped
« Reply #5 on: September 21, 2019, 01:03:48 am »
So I tried the paperclip fix Chris posted from the BMW F800 site but the way the Connie clips anchor differs enough from the Beemer to prevent that method from working.  However, I hit upon a solution that does work using a small 1" paperclip as opposed to the spring-type paperclip on the F800 site.  And fortunately it can be done from the back just like changing bulbs - no pulling the headlight assembly is needed.

What I did was straighten the paperclip with the narrower bend left intact and cut the long side to the same length as the short side.  I then used pliers to bend each cut end back far enough where I could then bend them back towards the bend end.  I then had to spread the cut ends just a bit to slide the screw through both the bent end and the cut end, leaving just enough room at the closed back of the bent clip to slide the spring clip through and move the screw and paperclip up to the square angled part of the spring clip that's anchored to the headlight.  Positioning the screw/paperclip assembly to this point was a little tricky, since the snug fit necessary to keep everything in place once I would tighten the screw/paperclip into the headlight assembly made it tricky to move the screw/paperclip to the desired position.  But once positioned everything was all pre-assembled, making it easy to screw everything back in.  Tightening the screw further compressed the paperclip, which better clamped it around the spring clip to hold it in position while letting it swivel like it's supposed to.  The bulb fit like normal and the spring clip locked back in place just like before with the bulb nice and snug.  The other nice thing is that the bent paperclip serves as an anchor and hinge and also a compression washer to keep the assembly screwed in tight.

Below is a pic showing the spring clip already slid through the back of the bent back paperclip to the proper spot and ready for reattachment.
« Last Edit: September 21, 2019, 10:55:27 pm by Kreton'sLC »
2012 C14

Offline Jorge

• Sport Tourer
  • AREA: Southeast Area
  • COG#: 9297
  • Membership Level: Event Host
« Reply #6 on: September 21, 2019, 07:26:14 am »
wow, that had to be FRUSTRATING!
Nice solution!  hope to never need it, but you never know...
Thanks for posting.

Offline Kreton'sLC

• Moped
« Reply #7 on: September 21, 2019, 12:01:05 pm »
wow, that had to be FRUSTRATING!
Nice solution!  hope to never need it, but you never know...
Thanks for posting.

Happy to do so Jorge.  Once I figured out how a paperclip could secure the spring clip to the screw, aside from it being a little tricky to slide the spring clip into place, the rest was easy.

It's a shame the point of attachment is relatively flimsy.  I really wasn't applying that much force when it broke.
2012 C14

Offline connie_rider

• "OtP" {retired/assistant} Slave Labor
  • I Need a Life
  • Help us make "OtP" possible! "AGAIN"
  • COG#: 4154
  • Membership Level: Asst. Area Director
« Reply #8 on: September 21, 2019, 12:48:45 pm »
I agree with Jorge.    (Please don't tell anyone I sed that)

Well done, and thanx for posting the info.

Ride safe, Ted
14 Connie (Traveler II) / 03 Connie (Buddy)
Gone but not forgotten; 87 and 00 Connies..

If your not already a COGger, "consider becoming one".
Help us make "OtP" possible again!!

Offline ron203

• Officer
  • Iron Butt
  • COG#: 9847
  • Membership Level: Area Director
« Reply #9 on: September 21, 2019, 01:49:25 pm »
That might be a good short piece for the Concourier.
2014 C-14
2008 Goldwing

Offline Kreton'sLC

• Moped
« Reply #10 on: September 21, 2019, 03:16:57 pm »
That might be a good short piece for the Concourier.
I agree with Jorge.    (Please don't tell anyone I sed that)

Well done, and thanx for posting the info.

Ride safe, Ted

Thanks guys!  I'd be happy to submit the fix to the Concourier, but I'm a relatively new member who hasn't received my first issue yet and didn't see anything on the members' area about how to do this.  Is there a link I could use?
2012 C14

Offline ron203

• Officer
  • Iron Butt
« Reply #11 on: September 21, 2019, 06:17:25 pm »
New member = new idea! All good. You can email the Concourier editor. His name is Ed Palmer and he normally takes submissions via email in Word format or whatever. His  email is: Editor@cog-online.org
2014 C-14
2008 Goldwing

Offline Kreton'sLC

• Moped
« Reply #12 on: September 21, 2019, 07:38:09 pm »
Will do - thanks ron!
2012 C14

Offline ron203

• Officer
  • Iron Butt
« Reply #13 on: September 21, 2019, 08:33:39 pm »
 ;)
2014 C-14
2008 Goldwing