Author Topic: '08-'09 vs. '10-'14 valve adjustment, rear end maintenance differences?  (Read 464 times)

Offline Baggerjohn

• Training Wheels
  • AREA: North Central Area
  • COG#: forum
  • Membership Level: Forum Subscriber
This question is more academic at the moment...but for those who have done the valves on both a first-gen and second-gen C14, is there much of a difference once the bodywork comes off?

I did my '08's at 15k and my '12 will be coming up on its first inspection point next year some time. There were a lot of parts to remove and replace on my '08 (  :))  ) but all in all the job wasn't bad. I've also had most of the '12's front half apart to install accessory electrical stuff so I'm aware of what I need to do to get at the engine.

Another query: Are there any differences for removal/replacement of the final drive unit and rear wheel with regards to fastener torque values or procedure changes?

I have an '08-'09 service manual on-hand and am going to buy a '10-'14 that'll cover the differences in the electronics and bodywork. Curious as to how close the maintenance procedures are between the two.

Thanks!

Online Deepsea

• Street Cruiser
  • AREA: Southwest Area
  • COG#: 10376
  • Membership Level: Active
After you get all the plastic off they are the same.
BSA Gold Star, Norton Commando, Moto Guzzi V-7 Sport, Norton Commando, John Player Norton, BMW R90S, Kawasaki Z-1 and Z-1R , Honda CB-650, C-14
El Mirage Record Holder A-BG 3000cc 11/83 184.049 mph  CDA#0438
(twin engine, twin turbo, Z-1)
Retired Navy Saturation Diver

Offline Texas Concours14

• Mini Bike
  • AREA: South Central Area
  • COG#: 9760
The only substantive difference in valve adjustments between 08/09 and 2010+ models would be the timing marks. A fairly important difference! If you follow Fred Harmon's video (as I did; highly recommended for non-mechanics), be aware that he is doing the adjustment on an 08 or 09, so be sure to refer to the manual for 2010+ timing marks. Also, 4Bikes posted extremely helpful instructions for valve adjustments on 2010+ a few years ago (worth searching for); as I recall he included photos of the timing marks on the newer model.
2010 Concours 14

Offline Baggerjohn

• Training Wheels
  • COG#: forum
Thanks to both of you. I have a 2010-up manual inbound and it'll probably be next summer before I rack up enough miles on that particular bike to mandate a clearance check, but one never knows...

Offline ghostrider990

• Street Cruiser
  • AREA: Southeast Area
  • COG#: 12649
The only substantive difference in valve adjustments between 08/09 and 2010+ models would be the timing marks. A fairly important difference! If you follow Fred Harmon's video (as I did; highly recommended for non-mechanics), be aware that he is doing the adjustment on an 08 or 09, so be sure to refer to the manual for 2010+ timing marks. Also, 4Bikes posted extremely helpful instructions for valve adjustments on 2010+ a few years ago (worth searching for); as I recall he included photos of the timing marks on the newer model.

Good Info.  :great:

Thanks!

gr
..."I like to keep this handy -- for Close Encounters"...

Offline jwh20

• Crotch Rocket
  • COG#: Forum
You also asked about the final drive maintenance.  The final drives for all C14's are identical through the 2017 models.  So there is no change in maintenance or service procedures.
2012 Concours 14 Arabian Red
"Debbie Downer" according to some...

Offline 4Bikes

• Sport Tourer
  • AREA: Northeast Area
  • COG#: 9715
  • Membership Level: Asst. Area Director
Also, 4Bikes posted extremely helpful instructions for valve adjustments on 2010+ a few years ago (worth searching for); as I recall he included photos of the timing marks on the newer model.

Here is a link to the second time I checked.  The link to first time that needed an adjustment is included in this thread.

http://forum.cog-online.org/concours-14-zg1400-general-chat-and-tech/observations-after-the-second-valve-check/msg519053/#msg519053
Silver 2011 C-14. Previous rides: KZ-400, KZ-750, KZ-1000.  Keep the rubber side down.  Ride Fast......Live Slow......

Offline MAN OF BLUES

• I Need a Life
  • COG#: 5977
As for timing camnlocation mrarks... do yourself a favoour.. when the cover is removed, and the cam fover gasket also, take a moment and scratch/scribe a mark on that advance housing, also the exhaust cam, then, manually turn the motor/crank over 360* to verify it came up again, but he opposite side, when the stator wheel alligned correctly.. (which it will....)
Now you have a bit of semblencece the marks, allign, and in the future, panic won't be an issue.

So with a 1-4 & 2-3 scribe mark.. you can verify to hearts content, your cam spotting..
I scribe every cam prior to changes. Saves a bunch of worry, and tells me if I'm a tooth off on chain install..
« Last Edit: August 09, 2017, 12:42:03 am by MAN OF BLUES »

30 YEARS OF KAW.....Rich R. (the other one..)  COG 5977  JUSTAMEMBAHNOW