Author Topic: '10 and up ZG1400C: Generator Capacity Question  (Read 1134 times)

Offline Ken

• Big Wheels
  • AREA: North Central Area
  • COG#: 9948
  • Membership Level: Active
'10 and up ZG1400C: Generator Capacity Question
« on: September 20, 2012, 03:06:48 pm »
Hi, Does anyone know what the generator excess capacity might be? Or, what is the current limit on the 12 V accessory plug? I'm considering to take this product along with me on long rides in order to heat soup or water for coffee: ROADPRO 5021, 12 V Water Heater. http://www.directdepot.net/product_info.php?products_id=1798. Thanks, Ken (Riding black, '11 C14, and loving it).

Offline Mad River Marc

• Sport Tourer
  • AREA: Northeast Area
  • COG#: 8442
Re: '10 and up ZG1400C: Generator Capacity Question
« Reply #1 on: September 20, 2012, 03:46:47 pm »
Dunno the generator capacity but the 12v accessory plugs on the 10+ are fused at 5 amps.

I would run a separate line to the battery for that with its own dedicated fuse,  the trouble is I cannot find a specification on what it draws to be able to say for sure if the accessory plug would handle it....

However, check out that same device on Amazon and read the reviews... didn't get too positive a writeup IMHO
« Last Edit: September 20, 2012, 03:49:23 pm by Mad River Marc »
You only need two tools in life – WD-40 and duct tape. If it doesn’t move and should, use the WD-40. If it shouldn’t move and does, use the duct tape.

Offline Rembrant

• Low Brow Realist
  • Crotch Rocket
  • COG#: forum
  • Membership Level: Forum Subscriber
« Reply #2 on: September 21, 2012, 07:37:50 pm »
However, check out that same device on Amazon and read the reviews... didn't get too positive a writeup IMHO

Check out the website below...it states 132 Watts (11 amps).

http://www.skingcompany.com/Cooking_and_Kitchen-5021_Road_Pro_12_Volt_Hot_Pot-P72.aspx

But, like Mad River Marc says...there are some pretty bad reviews on Amazon, and claims from some truckers that it takes 35 mins to boil water....10 mins to warm.
“If you're not a liberal at twenty you have no heart, if you're not a conservative at forty you have no brain.” ~ Winston Churchill.

Offline Mad River Marc

• Sport Tourer
  • COG#: 8442
« Reply #3 on: September 21, 2012, 08:02:17 pm »
11 amps is WAY more then the accessory socket can handle,  I'd fuse it with a 15 amp fuse direct to the battery...   But again,  this looks like it may not work as advertised
You only need two tools in life – WD-40 and duct tape. If it doesn’t move and should, use the WD-40. If it shouldn’t move and does, use the duct tape.