Author Topic: Changing Brake Rotors- 2 Quick Questions  (Read 2804 times)

Offline Bruce_Reafsnider_TN

• Street Cruiser
  • AREA: Southeast Area
  • COG#: forum
  • Membership Level: Forum Subscriber
Changing Brake Rotors- 2 Quick Questions
« on: June 04, 2014, 12:43:24 am »
Okay, I have a new set of EBC rotors and pads waiting to be put on the bike. 

1st question:  What color locktight do I need for the rotor bolts?

2nd question: Would it be wise to get 2 of the Motion Pro axle tools for the job?

Thanks in advance. 

Offline Flat-spot

• Sport Tourer
  • AREA: North Central Area
  • COG#: 11111
  • Membership Level: Active
Re: Changing Brake Rotors- 2 Quick Questions
« Reply #1 on: June 04, 2014, 06:49:29 am »
I bought 2  22mm allen sockets from amazon for about $7.00 each.

Don't know for sure but I would think blue loctite would be fine.
'08 C14
There is no such thing as too much ammo, unless you are on fire or trying to swim.

Offline Skiee

• Road Bike
  • AREA: Southwest Area
  • COG#: 11459
« Reply #2 on: June 04, 2014, 08:42:46 am »
Answering the 1st question: Blue locktite is considered the universal threadlocker. Red is considered 'permanent'.
For the 2nd: Always nice to have extra tools!!!

Norm
2009 Concours 14 (Francis)
AMA# 3044870
CDA# 510

Offline The Pope

• Crotch Rocket
  • North Carolina AAD
  • COG#: 9994
  • Membership Level: Asst. Area Director
« Reply #3 on: June 04, 2014, 09:22:20 am »
Answering the 1st question: Blue locktite is considered the universal threadlocker. Red is considered 'permanent'.
For the 2nd: Always nice to have extra tools!!!

Norm

-Agree with the blue locktite.

-As far as the tool goes, you only need one to remove/install the front axle. Leave the pinch bolts tight on the axle nut located in the (well on my bike) left fork. Only loosen them after you've installed the wheel & axle (properly torqued) to do the front fork alignment. Then properly torque all 4 of the pinch bolts.
The Pope
2011 Atomic Silver C-14 (aka TheImprovedSilverDammit)

"The Universe is a contest between engineers making things idiot-proof and God making bigger idiots. So far, God is winning by a wide margin." (Unknown author, well I don't know who said it.)

Offline CW

• Crotch Rocket
  • COG#: Forum
« Reply #4 on: June 04, 2014, 11:19:06 am »
I usually remove my rotors before taking the wheel with worn out tire to a shop to have new tire mounted. I have always used blue.

I don't have any axle tools; have always just used allen sockets and/or spark plug wrench turned backwards. Never needed a specific axle tool. YMMV
2010 Neptune blue C-14
2009 KLR
2103 DR-Z400S

Offline jwh20

• Crotch Rocket
« Reply #5 on: June 04, 2014, 02:56:33 pm »
Definitely BLUE Loctite or equivalent.  The RED is mostly permanent.  You must heat it up VERY hot with a torch to get red to release and even then it's tough.  Red is for putting those things together that you NEVER expect to have to take apart again.  I've never seen a blue Loctite fastener come loose on its own although I'm sure it's happened under certain circumstances.  Hopefully your front wheel will never encounter such circumstances!
2012 Concours 14 Arabian Red
"Debbie Downer" according to some...

Offline Rev Ryder

• Officer
  • I Need a Life
  • We came. We saw. We Concours-ed.
    • Presbychuck
  • AREA: South Central Area
  • COG#: 7235
  • Membership Level: Executive Director
« Reply #6 on: June 04, 2014, 04:02:00 pm »
While not a true thread locker, I almost always use black RTV on threads I want to stay put.  It's pretty effective, easy to break loose, and easier to clean out of threads than other thread lockers.  Just saying. YMMV.  Yada yada ad infinitum...
Fortis non Ferox
 Shafties Can't Wheelie

Offline MAN OF BLUES

• I Need a Life
  • COG#: 5977
« Reply #7 on: June 04, 2014, 04:56:08 pm »

2nd question: Would it be wise to get 2 of the Motion Pro axle tools for the job?

Thanks in advance.

http://www.mcmaster.com/#7289a25/=s9ipih
http://www.mcmaster.com/#6958a35/=s9ipw0

you can make as many stubs as you want from these...

order today, they'll be in your mailbox tomorrow...

30 YEARS OF KAW.....Rich R. (the other one..)  COG 5977  JUSTAMEMBAHNOW
and if you are gonna call me names... it's MR. Analdweeb if you please...

Offline stevewfl

• Iron Butt
  • COG# 9334
  • COG#: 9334
« Reply #8 on: June 04, 2014, 05:29:59 pm »
I usually remove my rotors before taking the wheel with worn out tire to a shop to have new tire mounted. I have always used blue.

I don't have any axle tools; have always just used allen sockets and/or spark plug wrench turned backwards. Never needed a specific axle tool. YMMV

Curious why you do that, is it to protect the rotors or protect the wheel?  I never have done that on any bike, I'm wondering what pain is ahead of me when my odds run out  :truce:
KiPass!

Offline Rev Ryder

• Officer
  • I Need a Life
  • We came. We saw. We Concours-ed.
    • Presbychuck
  • AREA: South Central Area
  • COG#: 7235
  • Membership Level: Executive Director
« Reply #9 on: June 04, 2014, 05:43:31 pm »

Curious why you do that, is it to protect the rotors or protect the wheel?  I never have done that on any bike, I'm wondering what pain is ahead of me when my odds run out  :truce:
He's protecting his rotors.  Honestly, if I were taking mine to a shop to have em done... chances are this is the smartest move.  Depends on the shop, but unless you are really sure about them........ it's better than getting it all back together only to discover,  :a102:  a bent rotor.
Fortis non Ferox
 Shafties Can't Wheelie

Offline CW

• Crotch Rocket
« Reply #10 on: June 04, 2014, 10:01:59 pm »

He's protecting his rotors.  Honestly, if I were taking mine to a shop to have em done... chances are this is the smartest move.  Depends on the shop, but unless you are really sure about them........ it's better than getting it all back together only to discover,  :a102:  a bent rotor.

Correct. It's easy to do...back out the six (or is it 8?) bolts, and the rotor is free. Takes maybe 2 minutes...less with air tools.
2010 Neptune blue C-14
2009 KLR
2103 DR-Z400S

Offline 4Bikes

• Iron Butt
  • AREA: Northeast Area
  • COG#: 9715
  • Membership Level: Asst. Area Director
« Reply #11 on: June 04, 2014, 11:59:32 pm »

I had the same thought in mind about bent rotors and removed them for my first tire change. The guy at the shop said it's better to leave the rotors on because they play a role when spin balancing. I have left them on ever since.
Silver 2011 C-14. Previous rides: KZ-400, KZ-750, KZ-1000.  Keep the rubber side down.  Ride Fast......Live Slow......

Offline BDF

• Iron Butt
  • AREA: Northeast Area
« Reply #12 on: June 05, 2014, 01:09:14 am »
Yeah but only because they have to compensate for the bends they put in the rotors changing the tires in the first place.

:rotflmao:

Just a thought here but: when they balance car tires, do they do it with the rotors on the wheel? Hmmmmm? :-)

Brian

I had the same thought in mind about bent rotors and removed them for my first tire change. The guy at the shop said it's better to leave the rotors on because they play a role when spin balancing. I have left them on ever since.
KiPass keeping you up at night? Has the low fuel warning burned your retinas? Find peace, harmony and the answer to these problems. www.incontrolne.com

Offline CW

• Crotch Rocket
« Reply #13 on: June 05, 2014, 12:52:05 pm »
Maybe I'm just superstitious, but I always reinstall my rotor exactly like it was before I removed it: same bolt hole orientation. Probably doesn't matter one bit.
2010 Neptune blue C-14
2009 KLR
2103 DR-Z400S