Author Topic: '14 C14 details?  (Read 1206 times)

Offline RBEmerson

• Tricycle
  • AREA: Northeast Area
  • Membership Level: Forum Subscriber
'14 C14 details?
« on: April 15, 2018, 10:19:25 pm »
First, someone might remember RBEmerson from when COG only had the C10 to talk about. So... I'm baaack!  Enough - back to business.

A load of lumber fell on current ride, an '03 BMW K1200RS. How it reached into my garage, dumped the bike, broke tupperware... At least that's the contractor's story. [/ smiley with closed fist going up and down ]

I currently have three contenders for The Next Bike. A '16 FJR has SWMBO steamed over the price. A '14 C14 is tolerable. A '10 C14 makes her almost smile.

I've ridden the FJR (about 90 minutes) and really like it. I haven't ridden either Connie yet. We have flash flood warnings up, so it's going to be a couple of days before I'll try the '14.

The '10 is, IIRC, when the C14 2.0 showed up (no more burned legs, etc.). It's lowest on my list.

The '14 seems to be the last bike before the '15's change in gearing, steering, and linked brakes. Until I ride it, I have no idea how (relatively) bad the '14 is.

For comparison, my KRS isn't much fun being paddled around in the garage or a parking lot. It's manageable mostly. I'll admit to a garage drop (BTW minor paint scratching only, not broken tupperware).

Overall, I consider linked brakes to be a problem looking to announce itself. Since the Connie has them, I'm stuck with them.

Yes, I know about "no cruise control". I put a CCS-100 from Murph's in the C10. I'm resigned to doing the "Rasta" CC in any Connie I buy.

How much difference, that really matters, is there between the '18 and '14 Connie. The vent in the '15 'shield is probably a very good thing. If not having it drives me insane, I'll look for a way to add one.

Offline jwh20

• Crotch Rocket
  • AREA: North Central Area
  • COG#: Forum
Re: '14 C14 details?
« Reply #1 on: April 15, 2018, 11:07:54 pm »
IMHO the '14 (and earlier) is not "bad" at all.  The changes for 15 are more refinements than anything else.  I also considered the FJR prior to buying my first C14 (an 08) and found that it's way overpriced compared to the Kawasaki.  I later updated to a 2012 model and find that it's a very well rounded bike and the only complaint I had was the OEM seat sucks.  I went with a Seth Laam custom seat and that made all the difference.

Don't sell the C14 short before you try one.  It is, in my opinion, a much better bike than the FJR.  What it lack technological sophistication compared to the FJR, it more than makes up for it with its power and handling.
2012 Concours 14 Arabian Red
"Debbie Downer" according to some...

Offline ron203

• Officer
  • Iron Butt
  • AREA: Southeast Area
  • COG#: 9847
  • Membership Level: Area Director
« Reply #2 on: April 15, 2018, 11:31:06 pm »
I've had a '14 C14 since October of '15. Got all  that?

Sometimes people ask, "what year is your bike?" I say, "a "14". Then they sometimes say, "What is it?" and I say "It's a C-14." They look funny and say, "No, what YEAR is it?" and I say "It's a 2014, C-14" and I get the Laurel and Hardy "Who's on first?" look.  But, no,.....not bad at ALL. NOT at all... Love the thing.  The linked brakes behave. ABS works. No cruise control. Starts quickly. SISF's Flash is fantastic. I did replace the seat with a Baldwin which is better than the stock and AST peg lowering brackets, but only because I have long legs.

Great bike. FANTASTIC bike for the money.
2014 C-14
2008 Goldwing

Offline Steve in Sunny Fla

• Industry Member
  • I Need a Life
  • COG#: 6977
  • Membership Level: Active
« Reply #3 on: April 15, 2018, 11:56:13 pm »
 I recently had the opportunity to ride my friend's 2014 FJR for about 80 miles, then switch back to my c-14. The fjr is nice. closer to a c10 in many ergo ways. But it's not a c-14, and there's not enough technological difference to get me to choose the fjr over the c14. Oh and once I spent time on the c-14, there was no going back to the c10. The c-14 isn't ideal stock, you're going to have to do some stuff to get it right. but it won't be much, and then it's yours  . :motonoises: Steve
C-14 ECU flashing for performance and rideability enhancement
C-10 Carb work , cams, & performance enhancements
 " Modifications for sport-tourers, BY a sport-tourer"
https://sites.google.com/site/shoodabenengineering/home

Offline jwh20

• Crotch Rocket
« Reply #4 on: April 16, 2018, 12:22:45 am »
I recently had the opportunity to ride my friend's 2014 FJR for about 80 miles, then switch back to my c-14. The fjr is nice. closer to a c10 in many ergo ways. But it's not a c-14, and there's not enough technological difference to get me to choose the fjr over the c14. Oh and once I spent time on the c-14, there was no going back to the c10. The c-14 isn't ideal stock, you're going to have to do some stuff to get it right. but it won't be much, and then it's yours  . :motonoises: Steve

My impression after riding the FJR was "flat".  My impression after my first ride on a C14 was:   :)

Offline Salish14

• Salish14
  • Bicycle
  • AREA: Northwest Area
  • COG#: 12507
« Reply #5 on: April 16, 2018, 03:53:53 am »
I'll weigh in as an FJR vet. I bought a new FJR in 2014 and found I needed to add bar risers, peg lowering devices, and then could ride in reasonable comfort. Great motor, only 5 gears kind of sucked, good technology (cruise control). Always loved the looks of the Connie best. Sold the FJR, bought a lightly used 08 Connie with ABS. I'm 6'2" and it fits me perfectly stock. Stock bars, stock pegs, Corbin seat came with it. Fits like a dream.

Engine has a feel of more torque, more pull. Don't know the the numbers bear this out, but it feels that way to me.

I'd recommend an FJR to anyone who was under 5'10" who liked how they looked. I recommend Connies to everyone who wants sport touring at it's finest, funnest, and fittest. Especially if you are over 5'10".

But let's face it, both bikes are so damn similar, and so much better than the so called competition in performance.
We sit together, the mountain and me, until only the mountain remains.

2008 ABS Silver with 20,000 and counting

Offline RBEmerson

• Tricycle
« Reply #6 on: April 16, 2018, 03:59:00 am »
Thanks, guys! My real challenge is trying to pull together all the details for new three bikes (C14, FJR, and Triumph Trophy SE) and make a decision that I won't wake up second guessing myself later. I expect to do some light (literally) farkling (LED headlights and brake lights, turn signals, gauges). And of course there's the "Rasta". Oh, and a real (air) horn.

BTW, "Who's on first" is Abbot and Costello (didn't have to Google it!). Laurel and Hardy are better known for "this is a fine mess you've gotten us into, Stanley!" "I'm sorry, Ollie." while fiddling with the end of his necktie and almost weeping. (didn't Google that, either - what's wrong with me??)

Offline RBEmerson

• Tricycle
« Reply #7 on: April 16, 2018, 04:09:19 am »
Truth is, I abhor (to be nice) risers and lowerers. I'm quite happy with a bit of lean. Having bars that, even out of the box, are back enough I think I'm swinging a boat's tiller just doesn't get it for me.

I'm 6' and a 33" inseam. I've ridden the semi-tuck from Philadelphia to Fernandina, FL (two days) and was still feeling good when I got to the hotel. And it's been a while since I started collecting Medicare.
Here's the current (well, was current) ride. The bars are almost clip-ons, but a little longer and back slightly (factory ergos).

Here's why the KRS isn't so current a ride:

And there's damage elsewhere, too.  :angry:

Offline RBEmerson

• Tricycle
« Reply #8 on: April 16, 2018, 04:43:31 am »

My impression after riding the FJR was "flat".  My impression after my first ride on a C14 was:   :)
"(F)lat"? I didn't get that impression at all. Almost anything I rode from fast 4-lane to skinny back road went well. I did a quick "wind it up" after I hit the fast road - no worries there. John Law was busy, giving out tickets to the Policeman't Ball to anything on two wheels. It was a chance to see how the FJR did at "sane" speeds, and maybe toss in a roll on or two. No cause for complaint. The "secret twisty road" every local knows didn't go as well, but mostly because I didn't have a good handle on handling. Make a mistake on this road and wind up in Unami Creek - a good place to be cautious if you can't be good.

Offline RoadKillHeaven

• How hard can it be? 。◕‿◕。
  • Street Cruiser
« Reply #9 on: April 16, 2018, 09:52:02 am »
My take on FJR is I remember clutch was on a stiff side compared to C14.  Also, it felt smaller (I am 5'9"). You sit on FJR, whereas you sit in C14 which makes difference when hauling a$$.
I am sure in capable hands of someone who is a smidgen shy of Isle Of Man TT participant, FJR will be as nimble as startled housefly. But for an average Joe like me, Connie feels effervescent compared to assimilated look and feel of FJR.
I just prefer flamboyance of C14.

Cheers...   

Offline Phil

• Bicycle
  • COG#: forum
« Reply #10 on: April 16, 2018, 05:07:09 pm »
Truth is, I abhor (to be nice) risers and lowerers. I'm quite happy with a bit of lean. Having bars that, even out of the box, are back enough I think I'm swinging a boat's tiller just doesn't get it for me.

I'm 6' and a 33" inseam. I've ridden the semi-tuck from Philadelphia to Fernandina, FL (two days) and was still feeling good when I got to the hotel. And it's been a while since I started collecting Medicare.
Here's the current (well, was current) ride. The bars are almost clip-ons, but a little longer and back slightly (factory ergos).

On the 2009 Concours, I rode from Miami to Pittsburgh in under 24 hours. I too was fine. Sargent seat, and I probably had risers on it that day, I switch off, risers, and no risers. That being said, also rode my RC51 from Pittsburgh to Iowa, about 760 miles one way, straight through. When I tour on a bike, most days are at least 700 miles, usually closer or above 800. The Concours is fine for that, though, for me, the stock seat sucked for that, but i did it. You will be fine on the Connie in that regard.

I have had the Sargent, the Corbin, had the Corbin reworked by Corbin to get rid og the bucket and relieve the perineum pressure I had, and then bought the Kawasaki Touring seat. The Kawasaki Touring seat is the best of the three for me. Better position, and better comfort. For me, the issue with the Corbin, is I do not have a fat a**. I told them to not make the pocket so far back since I didn't want to increase the reach to the bars, and they assured me they would do that. The result was, they shipped out their standard configuration. There is a hump in the front that placed pressure in bad places causing pain and numbness. It is, however, perfect for use with an Airhawk. They rebuilt it for me later, building it up so there was no bucket, which made it nicer int eh twisties, but all they did was overlay it with a bit softer foam, making the ump apparent, and painful still. I reworked it myself, and it was better, but it still made me sit too far back. The Kaw Touring seat is perfect, with or without riders.

The only reason I would go with a newer C-14, is perhaps resale, though that will drop dramatically, quickly, so unless you plan on selling in a year, I doubt much would be gained by buying the 2018.
« Last Edit: April 16, 2018, 05:15:34 pm by Phil »

Offline RBEmerson

• Tricycle
« Reply #11 on: April 16, 2018, 05:41:09 pm »
Thanks for the travel info. I looked a Corbin (forgot the model name) that looked to be similar to the one I put on the C10. One of the C14's I'm looking at has something I wouldn't care to spend any time on. As soon as the ink's dry on the paperwork, Corbin gets a call.  ;D

Paying the "taking a new vehicle off the floor" tax has zero appeal. I'll figure $700 for 2 years of YES into my costs. That and a Rasta thingie. Everyt'ng irie, mon!  :13:

Offline Phil

• Bicycle
  • COG#: forum
« Reply #12 on: April 16, 2018, 08:45:22 pm »
Thanks for the travel info. I looked a Corbin (forgot the model name) that looked to be similar to the one I put on the C10. One of the C14's I'm looking at has something I wouldn't care to spend any time on. As soon as the ink's dry on the paperwork, Corbin gets a call.  ;D

Paying the "taking a new vehicle off the floor" tax has zero appeal. I'll figure $700 for 2 years of YES into my costs. That and a Rasta thingie. Everyt'ng irie, mon!  :13:

My only warning regarding the Corbin, is it is more of a bucket than the one you had for your C10, from what I remember of the C10 Corbin seat. For some reason they made it like the ones they make for cruisers. It is odd on the C14. If it fist you, it isn't bad though. The hump in the front caused me a lot of issues until I modified it myself. I should have simply cut the hump down in the beginning, rather than have them rebuild it. They didn't want to trim down the hum, saying there wasn't enough material there to do so. Others did is successfully though. I also didn't like the fact the seat moved you farther back compared to stock. I put a little over 20,000 miles on the Corbin though, and it is still in the garage. The Kawasaki Touring seat has taken its place on the bike though.

Offline RBEmerson

• Tricycle
« Reply #13 on: April 16, 2018, 08:57:50 pm »
Interesting. I got the sense Corbin has become a little ...um... more difficult to deal with. Guess that's how it is.

Offline ron203

• Officer
  • Iron Butt
« Reply #14 on: April 16, 2018, 11:26:17 pm »
Yep. Spot on about Abbot and Costello.  :-[    (Just realized I'm out of beer....contributing factor?)   ;)
2014 C-14
2008 Goldwing

Offline RBEmerson

• Tricycle
« Reply #15 on: April 16, 2018, 11:46:47 pm »
A&C did a similar routine that, probably for the best, didn't become as well known. The setup is Lou Costello gets a telegram (think Tweet or text on paper) "IN NOME. STRUCK GOLD. COME QUICK. UNCLE MIKE". It includes such deathless material as "When we get to Nome, we'll see Uncle Mike." Nome? Nome! 'Course I know 'em, he's my uncle Mike!" (works better when it's not written) The blow-off is Uncle Mike didn't strike gold, he struck Sheriff Gold.  ::)

Offline ron203

• Officer
  • Iron Butt
« Reply #16 on: April 17, 2018, 12:19:31 am »
I was looking for the clip on YouTube  and found a modern version with Jerry Seinfeld and some other comics from 2012. It was well done. My class of college students had never heard of A&C but Seinfeld, Fallon, and Billy Crystal's rendition flipped  them out. 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K0Jg7pvVzKk
2014 C-14
2008 Goldwing

Offline ZXtasy

• Road Bike
  • It rides the bike or it gets the lotion!
  • COG#: 12569
« Reply #17 on: April 17, 2018, 12:25:00 am »
I think the A&C Who's on bit still pales to the Cary Grant, "You remind me of a man.... bit. And the 2013 C-14 is way better than the 14/14 conundrum.
2013 ZG-1400, 2005 ZX-10R (Nekkid), 2012 TW-200, 1999 TW-200....and more to come.

Offline RBEmerson

• Tricycle
« Reply #18 on: April 17, 2018, 02:42:03 am »
Who do?  :043:

Cary Grant's comedy skills, IMHO, didn't get the attention they deserve.

Offline ZXtasy

• Road Bike
  • It rides the bike or it gets the lotion!
  • COG#: 12569
« Reply #19 on: April 17, 2018, 11:25:17 am »
You do!
2013 ZG-1400, 2005 ZX-10R (Nekkid), 2012 TW-200, 1999 TW-200....and more to come.

Offline RBEmerson

• Tricycle
« Reply #20 on: April 17, 2018, 11:53:43 am »
 ;D

- - - - -

For anyone keeping track of it, the insurance start to this thread has been almost completely resolved. The bike has been totaled under the idiots' liability insurance. Basically, the insurance company looked at the cost of repairs, a lot, and the value of the bike, not a lot. Totaled. It feels like a "you vehicle hit my vehicle" result, but think about it. The insurance people aren't to spend more than the bike's worth to make it all bright and shiny again. They're not a charity.

I'm pissed. The actual work to revive the bike is no more than I did when I added the air horn or HID's. Three hunks of tupperware come off, do work, tupperware goes back on. Movie over. But...the current tupperware is broken. I have to buy new tupperware and paint it. I can buy the bike back - for a ridiculous amount - do the work myself, and there's a bright shiny bike. With a salvage title and zero resale value. All that's left is to wave bye-bye as a bike that's in sound mechanical condition and bad cosmetics goes away.

Offline jwh20

• Crotch Rocket
« Reply #21 on: April 17, 2018, 12:32:38 pm »
Keep in mind that you do not have to accept their settlement offer.  It's just that, an offer.  Until you sign the papers it's negotiable within limits.  If you don't like the idea that they have totaled the bike, ask them for an offer of their maximum repair settlement and fix the bike or get it fixed yourself.  Usually they have a threshold for repair cost vs. the value of the bike above which they total it vs. pay for repair. 

But this is a BUSINESS deal and the bike is YOURS until you sign the papers and give them title to the bike in lieu of the cash settlement.  The bike is only totaled and later marked as "SALVAGE" if you take that route.  If you keep the bike and just take a repair settlement, the "SALVAGE" status will not be applied to the bike.

Offline RBEmerson

• Tricycle
« Reply #22 on: April 17, 2018, 01:12:40 pm »
We went through negotiating - not much give, darnit.

At least in PA, getting a salvage title is long and complicated. I don't want to drop $7K less settlement into the bike. Having a salvage title makes a trade-in or sale a challenge/loss v. normal title. For me, lose-lose.

Offline jwh20

• Crotch Rocket
« Reply #23 on: April 17, 2018, 01:31:59 pm »
Remember that they are motivated to settle because then you sign the release form and their liability is over.  You should at least be able to get two options here:

1) Total loss and they give you what they say is the market value of the bike and in return you turn the bike over to them.
2) Their max damage payout, you keep the bike and take the money.

Generally the #2 option will net you a bit less money but you get to keep the bike with a clean title.  With #1 you can often buy the bike back from them at some price but then it will be salvage.

I'd press them a bit more.  It was THEIR client's fault that caused this.  You should be made "whole" by the settlement.

Offline Roger B

• Mini Bike
« Reply #24 on: April 17, 2018, 02:16:50 pm »
Remember that they are motivated to settle because then you sign the release form and their liability is over.  You should at least be able to get two options here:

1) Total loss and they give you what they say is the market value of the bike and in return you turn the bike over to them.
2) Their max damage payout, you keep the bike and take the money.

Generally the #2 option will net you a bit less money but you get to keep the bike with a clean title.  With #1 you can often buy the bike back from them at some price but then it will be salvage.

I'd press them a bit more.  It was THEIR client's fault that caused this.  You should be made "whole" by the settlement.

Good advice.   Somehow you need to make this a positive for you.   Fixing the bike back to original and putting money in your pocket.