Author Topic: "Evo" First impressions  (Read 2083 times)

Offline strum

• Street Cruiser
  • AREA: Southeast Area
  • COG#: 12307
  • Membership Level: Active
"Evo" First impressions
« on: May 17, 2017, 11:50:41 pm »
 Got My ECU today and I immediately installed it .
 Now I know the tone of my bike and as soon as I fired it up I knew its different .
 In a good way I mean. Not that it idled rough before but its much smoother or I guess crisp would be the term .
  So I jumped on and did a 75or so mile loop ( skeena gap, 60 , turn left on 180 at the two wheel to 129 back headed home.
  Guys this bike rides correctly now.
  The first thing I was looking for was shifting . Its smooth and precise. Exactly what I was hopping for.
   Next was on off throttle in the curves. Now I dont want to die so I ride these roads fairly conservative but I dont get passed by no Harley's either .
   Before the flash as I approached a curve I would roll off the throttle and it would lunge forward and back on throttle was a abrupt.
  This made me really have hunt for the sweet spot and usually causes me to brake more than needed.
  Now as I roll off the throttle it decelerates at a controlled non violent rate and back on throttle is a sweet roll on that causes me to carry the corners with more power and confidence.This is how a bike is suppose to feel .  I found I was smoother ,faster and used much less brake .
 Back to the shifting .  When doing all these curves I found my up and down shifting became second nature . Need to drop a gear because of a tight corner with an incline? No worries just do it. No jerking . Ill say it again it does it  correctly.
  I had a slight bit of exhaust popping before but now it not a pop, its a cool sounding beefy gurgle. (Im running a Muzzys slip on)
  I did do some WOT  through the gears too and while i cant say its tons of more power, it is more power and unless you look at your speedo you dont realize how freaking fast your moving.
 I cant tell much yet on fuel mileage but I can see it'll be better.
  Thank you Steve for developing this tune. Kawasaki dropped the ball here and you picked it up.
 This is truly how a C-14 should run

2008 C-14
Measurement is the first step that leads to control and eventually to improvement.
If you can't measure something, you can't understand it.
If you can't understand it, you can't control it.
If you can't control it, you can't improve it."

Offline Daytona_Mike

• Sport Tourer
  • COG#: Forum
  • Membership Level: Forum Subscriber
Re: "Evo" First impressions
« Reply #1 on: May 18, 2017, 02:06:58 am »
 :iagree: Well said and that is exactly how my flash runs too..  The safety factor alone is worth it. The Fun factor is a bonus.
Normally aspirated engines have perpetual turbo lag
2000 Red C10 1052 kit
2008  C14 Silver Dammit Full AreaP- Flies are put back in SISF_Flash
2011  KLR650   688 piston ported and polished
2011  KTM 530    This thing is FUN!!

Offline Steve in Sunny Fla

• Industry Member
  • I Need a Life
  • COG#: 6977
« Reply #2 on: May 18, 2017, 05:06:15 pm »
Strum - a couple Q's... I came up with the EVO after riding those exact roads at last years Run with the Wolf Rally. I was trying to make the changes that you noted. What I'm curious about is how long it took you to make the transition from how you were riding with the stock bike to how you're riding now  - applying brake, throttle gear selection etc - was it pretty intuitive or did you have to try a couple different things to decide "its different"  and second; are you still riding the same roads in the same gears as before, or are you using higher or lower gears as compared to before? Thanks - steve
C-14 ECU flashing for performance and rideability enhancement
C-10 Carb work , cams, & performance enhancements
 " Modifications for sport-tourers, BY a sport-tourer"
https://sites.google.com/site/shoodabenengineering/home

Offline strum

• Street Cruiser
« Reply #3 on: May 19, 2017, 02:02:43 am »
Steve it really became intuitive after I could trust it. Meaning  I was so used to the hard on off that it took my brain a little bit to trust that I could roll off and on without the abruptness.  After that short learning curve I just started enjoying the ride. I honestly feel safer because of the confidence the smoother more controllable response it gives me.
 I  find myself in higher gears most of the time and it doesn't feel like it lugging. If i do need to downshift in a curve under power its doable now with out loosing any ground. Thats the sweet part . quick ,slight back off the throttle,drop the gear and roll it right back on to power out .
 I spent some time on it today too and it just got sweeter. Ill say it again. Now it rides correctly. Maybe thats how it shoodaben from the factory :great:
2008 C-14
Measurement is the first step that leads to control and eventually to improvement.

Offline LakeTrax

• Crotch Rocket
  • AREA: North Central Area
« Reply #4 on: May 19, 2017, 02:30:26 am »
I mentioned in an early thread(with original SISF flash) that a big benefit to me was the chassis's newfound ability to behave as it should... Considering the stock suspenders-
Shifting duties, throttle-ease, & my available concentration were the real gains.. not the dyno charts-

SISF's posted hp/tq curves are nice tho-
:beer chug:

Offline strum

• Street Cruiser
« Reply #5 on: May 19, 2017, 11:46:58 am »
I mentioned in an early thread(with original SISF flash) that a big benefit to me was the chassis's newfound ability to behave as it should... Considering the stock suspenders-
Shifting duties, throttle-ease, & my available concentration were the real gains.. not the dyno charts

This!!
 Im not one to blow smoke and because im cheap  :-\ I struggled with spending the money to do this.  Theres a lot of other farkles and gear the price of the flash would buy. I kept saying to myself , I dont need it and be happy with what I got.
  I have bought many things in the past that I ended up with buyers remorse. This is not that!! Im totally pleased and can say the money was well spent.

2008 C-14

Offline Dr Tom

• Tricycle
  • AREA: South Central Area
  • COG#: 12086
« Reply #6 on: May 22, 2017, 02:10:39 pm »
I agree with the impressions provided above.  I can't say exactly how much difference there was between evo and stock because it was about a month before I could give it a good ride after I reinstalled the ecu.

Most notable to me is that the "jerkiness" is gone....much improved decel, shifting and overall smoothness.  Well worth doing,

At this point, I have not unplugged the O2 sensors (2015 model) because I just haven't wanted to take the fairings off.  Steve, is there really any downside to not disabling the O2 sensors....seems I read one of your posts stating it was mostly just to be certain there we no conflicts.

• Industry Member
  • I Need a Life
« Reply #7 on: May 22, 2017, 02:57:59 pm »
I agree with the impressions provided above.  I can't say exactly how much difference there was between evo and stock because it was about a month before I could give it a good ride after I reinstalled the ecu.

Most notable to me is that the "jerkiness" is gone....much improved decel, shifting and overall smoothness.  Well worth doing,

At this point, I have not unplugged the O2 sensors (2015 model) because I just haven't wanted to take the fairings off.  Steve, is there really any downside to not disabling the O2 sensors....seems I read one of your posts stating it was mostly just to be certain there we no conflicts.

Yes, they need to be unplugged. At first I needed more feedback to confirm that, but I have since gotten enough feedback to know they need to be completely unplugged.

The biggest issue is that it can screw up the fuel economy with the 02 sensors plugged in.

Disconnecting them is easy, you don't need to remove any fairing, just a couple bolts on the right lower side and you'll have access to the plugs, as described in the paperwork I provided.

thanks, Steve

Offline Dr Tom

• Tricycle
  • AREA: South Central Area
  • COG#: 12086
« Reply #8 on: May 22, 2017, 05:17:18 pm »
ok thanks.  ill go back and look at the paperwork again....hopefully I still have it. I can see where the sensors mount in the exhaust manifold but haven't found the other end to unplug....

Offline walter

• Training Wheels
  • AREA: Northeast Area
  • COG#: forum
« Reply #9 on: May 22, 2017, 05:58:43 pm »
I unplugged the O2 sensorsors while the flash was still in the mail and did not have to remove the faring, just the lower faring mounting hardware just to give my hands more space to reach the plugs. You may want to tape to ends to keep them from collecting dirt as well.

Many here talk about the jerkyness that the flash took care of but I never had a problem with the bike not being smooth. Mine is a 2015 is it possible the earlier years were not as smooth as the newer?  Were there changes through out the years with the ECU from Kawasaki to make things better?  My #1 reason for getting the flash was to squeeze more performance out without changing parts...

• Industry Member
  • I Need a Life
« Reply #10 on: May 22, 2017, 10:55:33 pm »
I unplugged the O2 sensorsors while the flash was still in the mail and did not have to remove the faring, just the lower faring mounting hardware just to give my hands more space to reach the plugs. You may want to tape to ends to keep them from collecting dirt as well.

Many here talk about the jerkyness that the flash took care of but I never had a problem with the bike not being smooth. Mine is a 2015 is it possible the earlier years were not as smooth as the newer?  Were there changes through out the years with the ECU from Kawasaki to make things better?  My #1 reason for getting the flash was to squeeze more performance out without changing parts...

Actually the maps across the board are for the most part identical. The 2015 - up of course had the 02 sensors, and actually the fuel charts are somewhat richer than the earlier charts, but that's about it. Steve

Offline IngolfStern

• Tricycle
  • AREA: Northwest Area
« Reply #11 on: May 23, 2017, 07:51:14 pm »

picture?

Offline walter

• Training Wheels
« Reply #12 on: May 24, 2017, 12:09:48 am »
Doubt this helps much but this is looking back on the right side of the header showing the taped leads from the 02 sensors with a portion of the mating plug in the back round. Not easy just to get a pic of the area..

Offline Tree

• Tricycle
  • Too many deployments to count. SUBPAC & SUBLANT.
  • AREA: Southwest Area
« Reply #13 on: May 25, 2017, 11:48:07 pm »
I Love this flash. I'm in no way an experienced technical rider, just your average Jon.  I can say for certain that I noticed immediate improvement in response.  No more jerky gurgle when moving through 1-2-3 / 3-2-1 while bombing around town.

Maybe I never noticed it before but does anybody's bike ramp up the idle from a cold start.  Similar to choking a carb?  Is that a feature of the flash?
Submarines Once! Submarines Twice! Holy jumping . . . <edit> !

A Sport Bike With Bags.

• Industry Member
  • I Need a Life
« Reply #14 on: May 26, 2017, 11:32:09 am »
I Love this flash. I'm in no way an experienced technical rider, just your average Jon.  I can say for certain that I noticed immediate improvement in response.  No more jerky gurgle when moving through 1-2-3 / 3-2-1 while bombing around town.

Maybe I never noticed it before but does anybody's bike ramp up the idle from a cold start.  Similar to choking a carb?  Is that a feature of the flash?

Startup rpm is dependent on ambient temp, so yes, like a choke. Glad you're enjoying it! Steve

Offline walter

• Training Wheels
« Reply #15 on: May 26, 2017, 11:47:16 am »
Yes mine idles up especially on the cold mornings. Seems directly related to the temp out side and on the coldest mornings will max out at 2k for about 30 seconds then calm down.

Offline 6thwisconsin

• Bicycle
  • AREA: North Central Area
« Reply #16 on: June 06, 2017, 04:51:08 pm »
I live in Wisconsin and ride in 30º - 40º weather all the time in the spring & fall. The 2k idle when cold is nice but it does seem to "hold on" a bit too long for me. Even in 50º weather leaving work in the afternoon I still get the high idle at start. Not a complaint but an observation.