Author Topic: why 3 types of WIX oil filters?  (Read 1653 times)

Offline genghis

• Big Wheels
  • AREA: Southwest Area
  • COG#: Forum
  • Membership Level: Forum Subscriber
why 3 types of WIX oil filters?
« on: June 06, 2017, 01:13:26 am »
So, I'm still new here and trying to find answers on my own before clogging up the forum.  I have a question:  Why are there 3 WIX filters in the list of parts and accessories?  (short, long and regular)  I would assume the long would allow for more time between filter changes?  Are there any fitment/access issues with any of them?  I've been using WIX on all my bikes for the last 6 years or so and I want to be sure I'm getting the right one for my bike.  Thanks!
2008 C14 64,000 miles, really enjoying my first Connie!

Offline C. Moore

• Crotch Rocket
  • AREA: South Central Area
  • COG#: 6662
  • Membership Level: Active
Re: why 3 types of WIX oil filters?
« Reply #1 on: June 06, 2017, 09:57:10 am »
Hi Genghis, they are in the list because they all fit. I recall Purolator made short and long ones that fit the C10 once you did the oil filter conversion. I guess it's personal preference as to which one you use. I personally use the K&N 303. I like the nut on the end.
'10 C14  Dallas, Texas
CDA #523
COG# 6662

Offline Jerdurr

• Street Cruiser
  • AREA: Northeast Area
« Reply #2 on: June 06, 2017, 11:53:06 am »
Hi Genghis, they are in the list because they all fit. I recall Purolator made short and long ones that fit the C10 once you did the oil filter conversion. I guess it's personal preference as to which one you use. I personally use the K&N 303. I like the nut on the end.
That nut is a heaven sent. I remember having to do the first oil change on my "new to me" 2012 (got it about 3 months ago). I think the previous owner hadn't changed it in a while. The oil filter didn't have the nut, so i used every contraption out there to remove it...NOTHING WORKED!!  >:( :banghead:and by the time i was done trying, the stupid filter was totally deformed and I had no traction. In the end, I ended up stabbing it (literally) with a screwdriver, spilling oil all over the place, and using that screwdriver as leverage to turn it. Never again, I'll gladly spend the little extra to get that wonderful beautiful nut K&Ns have!!  :13:
Best,

JD

--Harley Davidson is king when it comes to turning gas into smoke, without the outcome of power--

Offline BigK

• Scooter
  • AREA: North Central Area
  • COG#: 3642
  • Membership Level: Asst. Area Director
« Reply #3 on: June 06, 2017, 02:55:29 pm »
apparently he works at the Concours plant. My new 2017 filter was on that tight to. Had to do the same thing to get it off.  :beerchug:
Kevin
Indy AAD

Offline Gitbox

• Road Bike
  • AREA: Northeast Area
« Reply #4 on: June 06, 2017, 03:16:23 pm »
Don't WIX oil filters have the flutes on the end so that you can use an oil filter wrench?
2008 Yamaha FJR1300A
2004 Yamaha FJR1300 (sold)
2000 Concours ZG-1000 (sold)

Offline TimR

• Global Moderator
  • Iron Butt
  • AREA: Northwest Area
  • COG#: 9032
  • Membership Level: Active
« Reply #5 on: June 06, 2017, 06:24:57 pm »
 :iagree: :iagree: :iagree:

I use a filter wrench and have never had a problem. Not even removing that first filter that was on super duper tight. 
Blue 1975 Z1B 900, Red 09 C14     I might not be perfect but at least I don't ride a Suzuki

Offline genghis

• Big Wheels
  • AREA: Southwest Area
« Reply #6 on: June 07, 2017, 03:27:18 am »
okay, thanks, everyone!  Yeah, I've done the screwdriver deal before...lol.  I'll be doing my oil change at the end of the week and see how tight the PO put it on.  I plan on changing to synthetic Rotella as well.  I used to use the 15w-40 on all my other bikes, but think the 5w-40 will work just as well.  I already changed the gear oil (and did not overfill it by rotating the wheel thanks to many posts about it here...lol), changed the front and rear brake fluid and still need to change the clutch fluid.  I appreciate all the input, everyone! 
2008 C14 64,000 miles, really enjoying my first Connie!