Author Topic: "F1" code  (Read 286 times)

Offline Buzzard

• Moped
  • AREA: Southeast Area
  • COG#: 11145
  • Membership Level: Active
"F1" code
« on: August 09, 2017, 05:43:56 pm »
While riding to work today the bikes' red warning light flashed and the LED screen briefly displayed the F1 code.
After a second or two the light went off and the screen returned to normal display. The code did not come on again.
I'll research this more later after work, but I'm curious what the F1 code means.
I do remember the light came on as I was on a road under construction and just after hitting a rather significant "bump". Can this be related to the code?
Anything I should check first?

Thanks.
Buzzard
2016 C-14 Metallic Moondust Grey  "Loving it"
2002 C-10 "SOLD*
1980 KZ550 LTD  a work in progress Café Racer
USAF 72-76 S.E.A.x2

Offline MAN OF BLUES

• I Need a Life
  • AREA: North Central Area
  • COG#: 5977
Re: "F1" code
« Reply #1 on: August 09, 2017, 06:02:29 pm »
First time?

How many miles? About 8,000…?

Common... they all do this... and then it is fine.. usually occurs between 5k and 10k miles, then never again...

But, it wouldn't hurt to pull both battery cables, abrasively clean them, the battery terminals, and the frame ground points next to the battery box... just for general principle...  especially if you never have done them, or the bike has more than 8k miles...

30 YEARS OF KAW.....Rich R. (the other one..)  COG 5977  JUSTAMEMBAHNOW

Offline BDF

• Iron Butt
  • AREA: Northeast Area
  • COG#: Forum
  • Membership Level: Forum Subscriber
« Reply #2 on: August 09, 2017, 06:37:59 pm »
A very common mistake but F1 is really FI, and it means 'Fuel Injection'.

Nothing to worry about as it is a quirk- my suggestion is to ignore it.

There is a lot written about it if you care to do a Google search.

Brian

While riding to work today the bikes' red warning light flashed and the LED screen briefly displayed the F1 code.
After a second or two the light went off and the screen returned to normal display. The code did not come on again.
I'll research this more later after work, but I'm curious what the F1 code means.
I do remember the light came on as I was on a road under construction and just after hitting a rather significant "bump". Can this be related to the code?
Anything I should check first?

Thanks.
KiPass keeping you up at night? Has the low fuel warning burned your retinas? Find peace, harmony and the answer to these problems. www.incontrolne.com

Offline Buzzard

• Moped
« Reply #3 on: August 09, 2017, 07:11:33 pm »
Thanks so much for calming my fears.
I was beginning to think there was an elect/engine failure going to happen.

Only about 1300 mi on the new scoot.
I will take a look and clean the battery leads/terminals before I ride much further.

Buzzard
2002 C-10 "SOLD*
USAF 72-76 S.E.A.x2

Offline OKC14

• Training Wheels
  • AREA: South Central Area
« Reply #4 on: August 09, 2017, 07:45:54 pm »

I will take a look and clean the battery leads/terminals before I ride much further.

Its completely normal. I wouldn't worry at all. It always happens to me whenever there's a source of RF/EMF interference around. Just something I noticed.

Offline BDF

• Iron Butt
« Reply #5 on: August 09, 2017, 08:27:45 pm »
Great- glad to help if and when I can.

These bikes really are very robust. A few quirks and kinks, and a few other areas that could use just a little help (I mean backyard, for well under $100 worth of 'help', nothing major) and they will run for years and well over 100,000 miles. A really nice bike and little to fear throwing a leg over one and riding 2 miles or 2,000. I rode one of these beasts for more than two days and over 3,000 miles in the hot, cold, dry, wet (and some of it so bad the tires hydroplaned), day and night and never had so much as a hiccup, and I did it more than once without reservation or hesitation. So in my own opinion, these things are cast iron reliable outside of the already mentioned quirks.

The only things to really be concerned about are 1) how to stretch the current ride and 2) when you can next ride it again.

Brian

KiPass keeping you up at night? Has the low fuel warning burned your retinas? Find peace, harmony and the answer to these problems. www.incontrolne.com

Offline Buzzard

• Moped
« Reply #6 on: August 09, 2017, 08:39:48 pm »
Thanks again Brian.
Bullet proof was commonly used term when talking about the various C-10's I had.
Nice to know the tradition continues with the C-14.

btw: still waiting for my first "cat" joke experience.

Ride safe :beerchug:
Buzzard
2002 C-10 "SOLD*
USAF 72-76 S.E.A.x2

Offline BDF

• Iron Butt
« Reply #7 on: August 09, 2017, 08:56:07 pm »
Do not get overly excited by 'The Cat Joke'; we have found one person who seems impervious to its effects. Now I had just told this gentleman (yeah, that is you Marc!) about a site that had hundreds and hundreds of photos of cat boxes so perhaps that proved to be more interesting than 'The Cat Joke' but whatever the cause, the joke bounced off. And I was wearing my crotchless reading glasses and everything so no stone was left unturned.....

Brian

Thanks again Brian.
Bullet proof was commonly used term when talking about the various C-10's I had.
Nice to know the tradition continues with the C-14.

btw: still waiting for my first "cat" joke experience.

Ride safe :beerchug:

Offline MAN OF BLUES

• I Need a Life
  • AREA: North Central Area
  • COG#: 5977
« Reply #8 on: August 09, 2017, 09:56:10 pm »
Brian, i love ya dearly bro....

but .......iiiiiiiiiieeeeeeeeeeeeeee

no more cat joke linky..... there is a thread active.... based on it.  :-[ :-[ :-[ :-[ :rotflmao: :rotflmao: :rotflmao: :rotflmao: :rotflmao: :rotflmao:

im just p-o'd because i missed being in that picture, because Ted and I were right outside that window, pouring massive amounts of alcohol down the gullets of our OTP pals...
I think we scored well.. next night, they ran when Ted and I asked, "can I buy you a drinkey??"

rock on.... :campfire:

30 YEARS OF KAW.....Rich R. (the other one..)  COG 5977  JUSTAMEMBAHNOW

Offline Bilbur

• Bicycle
  • AREA: Southwest Area
« Reply #9 on: August 12, 2017, 03:19:26 pm »
Just spit balling here but, does anyone get the FI code with SISFs flash?

Maybe it's just a factory coding error and with one of Steve's flashes it goes away?

Just a thought I picked off of a tree while walking down the street....

Offline BDF

• Iron Butt
« Reply #10 on: August 12, 2017, 03:47:37 pm »
Later on  I plan on sitting back and sampling some of The Dimple Pinch. After two or three of those, maybe more, I will re- read this post and see if I can make any sense out of it and if I can, I will respond......

:rotflmao:

Brian

Brian, i love ya dearly bro....

but .......iiiiiiiiiieeeeeeeeeeeeeee

no more cat joke linky..... there is a thread active.... based on it.  :-[ :-[ :-[ :-[ :rotflmao: :rotflmao: :rotflmao: :rotflmao: :rotflmao: :rotflmao:

im just p-o'd because i missed being in that picture, because Ted and I were right outside that window, pouring massive amounts of alcohol down the gullets of our OTP pals...
I think we scored well.. next night, they ran when Ted and I asked, "can I buy you a drinkey??"

rock on.... :campfire:

Offline ron203

• Officer
  • Iron Butt
  • COG#: 9847
  • Membership Level: Area Director
« Reply #11 on: August 12, 2017, 07:03:10 pm »
Just spit balling here but, does anyone get the FI code with SISFs flash?

Maybe it's just a factory coding error and with one of Steve's flashes it goes away?

Just a thought I picked off of a tree while walking down the street....

Yes. Once. I have the Decel flash since June 2016. I wondered that, too.
2014 C-14