Author Topic: "Low Battery" Message Won't Clear???  (Read 2449 times)

Offline seagiant1

• Sport Tourer
  • AREA: Southeast Area
  • COG#: 11323
  • Membership Level: Active
"Low Battery" Message Won't Clear???
« on: March 08, 2014, 07:22:23 pm »
Hi,
      Was out of town for almost 2 months and my bike actually started no problem today but gave a low battery message on the screen. I thought after I rode it a bit it would recharge and the message would clear. No dice ran about 30 miles and it wouldn't stop.

Thought maybe taking the battery out would clear it and I would trickle charge it for a few hours to make sure it was good. Tested with my old VOM Meter and it's close to 14V! Should be good. put it back in started the bike and the message is still blinking!

Was wondering if anyone has run into this before? I'm under warranty but was hoping for an easy solution!
“If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen.” -Samuel Adams

"The further a society drifts from the truth, the more it will hate those that speak it"
"In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act." George Orwell

Offline seagiant1

• Sport Tourer
Re: "Low Battery" Message Won't Clear???
« Reply #1 on: March 08, 2014, 07:31:54 pm »
Hi,
     Jeez! I just figured it out! It's not the motorcycle battery,it's the transponder (Kipass) FOB battery that is low! Sorry for the confusion but thought I would answer my own question for maybe helping someone else!
“If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen.” -Samuel Adams

"The further a society drifts from the truth, the more it will hate those that speak it"
"In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act." George Orwell

Offline counours 14

• Mini Bike
  • AREA: Northeast Area
  • COG#: forum
  • Membership Level: Forum Subscriber
« Reply #2 on: March 08, 2014, 09:41:21 pm »
Yea the batteries don't last that long.

Offline C14lvr

• Street Cruiser
  • AREA: South Central Area
  • COG#: Forum
« Reply #3 on: March 08, 2014, 10:16:02 pm »
Seagiant,

Wow! Cool bit of info!

Mine did that same thing to me a month ago, after I had let the bike sit w/o starting it for a couple of months this winter.

But, it later corrected... After about 15 minutes of running.
Like you, I figured it was the bike's battery that was low.

I replaced my fob battery this past May, but guess we are talking 10 months.
Fob battery replacement intervals usually an annual thing for everybody?
2011 C14 ABS (current bike)
1982 Yamaha XJ1100J (sold)
1979 Yamaha XS11 (3200 original miles)
In the warden's words from Cool Hand Luke;
"What we have here is a failure to communicate."

Offline mattchewn

• I Need a Life
  • COG#: 10993
« Reply #4 on: March 08, 2014, 10:18:33 pm »
My bike is now a year old. So far no battery replacement in a fob or otherwise. The Bike battery was real weak after sitting in the cold for 8 weeks without starting.
Matt
Now I probably jinxed myself!
2015 C14  Poison Ivy. I feel the itch!
2014 KTM 690 Enduro R  Wheelie sweet!!

Offline BDF

• Iron Butt
« Reply #5 on: March 08, 2014, 10:54:03 pm »
No, not annual, at least not for me (on both fobs). My '08 is coming up on seven years old and has only had the battery replaced once. Well, actually twice but one of those is 'cause the Riesling shorted it and killed it, which I am not counting as normal wear and tear.

The fob batteries should last two years at least, and that is with a lot of use. Besides all of that, a dead fob battery is nothing to worry about because that will not / cannot strand you anyway. Of course the warning on the dash is no doubt annoying.

Brian

Seagiant,

Wow! Cool bit of info!

Mine did that same thing to me a month ago, after I had let the bike sit w/o starting it for a couple of months this winter.

But, it later corrected... After about 15 minutes of running.
Like you, I figured it was the bike's battery that was low.

I replaced my fob battery this past May, but guess we are talking 10 months.
Fob battery replacement intervals usually an annual thing for everybody?
KiPass keeping you up at night? Has the low fuel warning burned your retinas? Find peace, harmony and the answer to these problems. www.incontrolne.com

Offline Rembrant

• Low Brow Realist
  • Crotch Rocket
  • COG#: forum
« Reply #6 on: March 08, 2014, 11:08:47 pm »

The fob batteries should last two years at least, and that is with a lot of use. Besides all of that, a dead fob battery is nothing to worry about because that will not / cannot strand you anyway. Of course the warning on the dash is no doubt annoying.

I just replaced the battery in my main KeyFOB a couple weeks ago. Can't say if it was the original...but it was the first time I've changed it. Bike is a 2010 that I bought used two years ago.

I carry a couple extra batteries in my little storage compartment anyway...I've never needed one on the road, but they're small enough to carry, so why not;).
“If you're not a liberal at twenty you have no heart, if you're not a conservative at forty you have no brain.” ~ Winston Churchill.

Offline Phil

• Street Cruiser
  • COG#: 9813
« Reply #7 on: March 08, 2014, 11:53:29 pm »
Glad this question came up!
I've had the Battery Warning but ONLY see it on COLD mornings? After I ride awhile it' clears itself. SO I just assumed it was the weather now I think not? What does the dealer chg for removing wheel, tire and replacing battery. I guess if your going to do one wheel might as well do both?

Offline BDF

• Iron Butt
« Reply #8 on: March 09, 2014, 12:08:46 am »
First of all, I think we are discussing two different batteries as far as the 'low battery' warning.

The last few posts have been about the fob battery, not anything to do with the tire pressure sensors.

The tire pressure sensors are another story. The batteries in them are not supposed to be replaceable, although it can certainly be done, it does require soldering and taking the sensor apart to get to the battery. It also requires a battery with custom tabs welded onto it or a standard tabbed battery with some modification.

The dealer will not replace the battery in the TPS sensors: they will just change the entire sensor. A new TPS sensor is ~$150 or so, each front and rear, and then about 1/2 hour labor to program the bike to recognize the new sensors.

If a new battery is soldered into the original sensor, no re- programming is needed.

Brian

Glad this question came up!
I've had the Battery Warning but ONLY see it on COLD mornings? After I ride awhile it' clears itself. SO I just assumed it was the weather now I think not? What does the dealer chg for removing wheel, tire and replacing battery. I guess if your going to do one wheel might as well do both?
KiPass keeping you up at night? Has the low fuel warning burned your retinas? Find peace, harmony and the answer to these problems. www.incontrolne.com

Offline seagiant1

• Sport Tourer
« Reply #9 on: March 09, 2014, 12:56:01 am »
Hi,
 Thanks Gentlemen! To go a bit further in this, after studying my owners manual there is a symbol for a weak FOB battery and then a somewhat different symbol for a weak cycle battery, that can come up on the monitor! Actually this is nice once you know whats going on!

I was of course assuming it was the cycle battery because of the bike not being ridden for awhile. Two years sound good as I have a 2012 and it's probably the original battery? I'm calling it all good,as a great learning experience! :-[

Offline C14lvr

• Street Cruiser
  • AREA: South Central Area
« Reply #10 on: March 09, 2014, 01:16:34 am »
Well, 2 years sounds better.
Glad to know about the different symbols, Seagiant. Thanks.

I get a few "false" warnings on mine...
Low Tire pressure, when cold.
Occaisionally, an F1...
"Low Batt"....

Seems to happen when it's cold out...
2011 C14 ABS (current bike)
1982 Yamaha XJ1100J (sold)
1979 Yamaha XS11 (3200 original miles)
In the warden's words from Cool Hand Luke;
"What we have here is a failure to communicate."