Author Topic: "MY a** hurts!"  (Read 5894 times)

Offline woody_nj

• Training Wheels
  • "The Only way out is through"
  • AREA: Northeast Area
  • COG#: 12222
  • Membership Level: Active
"MY a** hurts!"
« on: November 27, 2015, 06:59:29 pm »
This bike is new to me, so......

Ok, was only a one hour ride (2 hrs after there and back), but my a** hurts.  I have a somewhat stock seat but with heat (not sure if it's stock or not, but looks that way). 

Two questions - more comfortable seat?, and I'm guessing the heated portion of seat is not transferable to new seat, new seat would have to be heated as well?

Arm pain and slight numbness as well, but will I get used to that as my forearms increase in strength given the different position then I'm used to with past bike?

Thanks,
Wood

Offline Mage

• Bicycle
  • AREA: North Central Area
  • COG#: Forum
  • Membership Level: Forum Subscriber
Re: "MY a** hurts!"
« Reply #1 on: November 27, 2015, 08:53:56 pm »
my current solution is an air hawk...

Offline 4Bikes

• Iron Butt
  • COG#: 9715
  • Membership Level: Asst. Area Director
« Reply #2 on: November 27, 2015, 09:14:16 pm »
I have the Kawasaki touring seat upgrade.  When riding more than 200 miles I will use the Airhawk R. I never think about pain in the butt. There are threads for both solutions.
Silver 2011 C-14. Previous rides: KZ-400, KZ-750, KZ-1000.  Keep the rubber side down.  Ride Fast......Live Slow......

Offline woody_nj

• Training Wheels
« Reply #3 on: November 27, 2015, 09:15:13 pm »
Mage,

You have a pic of this add on seat?  Does the heat from your seat radiate up through it?  How much taller does it make you sit (cause that would effect the wind coming up over the shield)?  How long have you had yours?  When looking on line it says they go for about $150.00.

Wood

Offline woody_nj

• Training Wheels
« Reply #4 on: November 27, 2015, 09:19:20 pm »
So that's two votes for this Airhawk.....  Do they have stock seats that fit the Connie, or is every one custom.  The web site states you have to measure your seat to have it made.

Offline 4Bikes

• Iron Butt
« Reply #5 on: November 27, 2015, 09:21:49 pm »
The Airhawk is a pad that fits over any seat.  It's something like beads, but more refined.
Silver 2011 C-14. Previous rides: KZ-400, KZ-750, KZ-1000.  Keep the rubber side down.  Ride Fast......Live Slow......

Offline Sport Rider

• I Need a Life
  • AREA: Southeast Area
  • COG#: 8603
« Reply #6 on: November 27, 2015, 09:40:22 pm »
beads are a real cheap solution and easy to try.  they worked for me.  airhawk is a known inexpensive solution too.

Offline woody_nj

• Training Wheels
« Reply #7 on: November 27, 2015, 10:14:05 pm »
Beads it is, ...... with the back up of the Airhawk.  Read several reviews where the Airhawk seems to be the creme-de-crem, but just don't have the extra cash for that right now, so will default to the beads (which came very highly recommended by several articles) till either the beads don't work, or I hit the lottery.

Offline seagiant1

• Sport Tourer
  • COG#: 11323
« Reply #8 on: November 27, 2015, 10:36:39 pm »
Hi,
       A custom Seth Laam seat,  was my FIRST upgrade! :great:

Getting rid of the "potato launcher" was the second! ;D
“If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen.” -Samuel Adams

"The further a society drifts from the truth, the more it will hate those that speak it"
"In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act." George Orwell

Offline Old Man on a Connie

• South West Area Director (Past)
  • I Need a Life
  • AREA: Southwest Area
  • COG#: 9932
« Reply #9 on: November 27, 2015, 10:41:32 pm »
http://www.motorbikesaddles.com/Kawasaki%20Concours%2014.htm Save your nickels and dimes. The best upgrade but cheeks down. Play on hands down. See what I did there?  ;) :beerchug:
"I don't always ride street bikes, but when I do, It's a Concours. A C14 '11 silver to be precise." OTP 2017 Traveler. It was a Blast Baby. Still in it to Win it.

Offline Sailor_chic

• Crotch Rocket
  • COG#: 11610
« Reply #10 on: November 27, 2015, 10:48:54 pm »
Why say two words (air hawk) when you can say one, Baldwin!!
Nicole     Port St Lucie, FL.
2013 C14 Black  
2006 Vmax
IBA # 60267

Offline 4Bikes

• Iron Butt
« Reply #11 on: November 27, 2015, 10:51:09 pm »

Airhawk is one word and is the word.

http://www.airhawk.net

Offline seagiant1

• Sport Tourer
  • COG#: 11323
« Reply #12 on: November 27, 2015, 11:45:50 pm »
Hi,
       Not trying to start anything but just a DESIGN compro.

The factory Kawi seat would start to "bite' the underside of my legs after about an hour of riding!

The Laam seat has these small "wing" protrusions and no sharp edges and gets rid of the numbing bite of the OEM!

I'm sure all these seat makers do excellent work but the design and $$$ factors in as well! Just sayin! ;D ;D ;D
“If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen.” -Samuel Adams

"The further a society drifts from the truth, the more it will hate those that speak it"
"In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act." George Orwell

Offline Sailor_chic

• Crotch Rocket
« Reply #13 on: November 27, 2015, 11:52:28 pm »

Been there, done that. They just weren't for me. I even bought a second one to re-try using one since everyone talks so highly about them. I suppose to each their own. I justy didnt like sitting on a marshmallow.

Oh, and my two word comment came from the first replu in this thread from Mage who used two words.
2013 C14 Black  
2006 Vmax
IBA # 60267

Offline Arabian Red

• Mini Bike
  • COG#: 11292
« Reply #14 on: November 28, 2015, 12:03:30 am »
Seth Laam seat was the best thing I did for my bike, well that and all the other tings I have added but we won't talk about that growing list right now.

Offline Old Man on a Connie

• South West Area Director (Past)
  • I Need a Life
  • COG#: 9932
« Reply #15 on: November 28, 2015, 12:59:10 am »
I'll not throw stones at Seth. Everything I've heard is he does outstanding work. I will say this though. I've met Loren 3x's at the nationals and he always greats me with "Hey Mark, How ya doin'". I know I can call him and get my a$$ fixed. COG Industry member and all around good dude. Just sayin'.
"I don't always ride street bikes, but when I do, It's a Concours. A C14 '11 silver to be precise." OTP 2017 Traveler. It was a Blast Baby. Still in it to Win it.

Offline Sailor_chic

• Crotch Rocket
« Reply #16 on: November 28, 2015, 01:11:34 am »
And to add to what Mark said about Loren.. I know for a fact that I can sit on his seat for over 19 hrs in a day.
2013 C14 Black  
2006 Vmax
IBA # 60267

Offline Rock

• Road Bike
  • Ride it if you got it!
  • COG#: 5879
« Reply #17 on: November 28, 2015, 01:32:09 am »
Had the Air Hawk on my C10 and it was fairly good for me. Then won a Skwoosh (sp) at the national this year, liked it better. Just got a 2013 C14 in Sept and used it on my return trip to Ga after purchasing the bike in AR.

Rode 600 miles in one day. The Skwoosh is a gel pad about an inch thick. I thought it better than the Air Hawk, for me. So I've been riding with it everywhere and had not sat on the stock seat for a ride until the other day. I was/am impressed. I'm probably 210 lbs with "all the gear all the time" and the stock seat has been really surprising in comfort.

Went 115 miles today and no sore butt! May end up going "nekkid" more often. :))

Phil
COG 5879
2013 C14
Phil
COG5879
2013 C14 "SR71"

Offline Spackler

• Training Wheels
  • COG#: forum
« Reply #18 on: November 28, 2015, 01:36:32 am »
This bike is new to me, so......

Ok, was only a one hour ride (2 hrs after there and back), but my a** hurts.  I have a somewhat stock seat but with heat (not sure if it's stock or not, but looks that way). 

Two questions - more comfortable seat?, and I'm guessing the heated portion of seat is not transferable to new seat, new seat would have to be heated as well?

Arm pain and slight numbness as well, but will I get used to that as my forearms increase in strength given the different position then I'm used to with past bike?

Thanks,
Wood

Did Kawi ever offer a heated seat at an option? I didn't think so. Your seat is probably aftermarket or at least someone fiddled with the stock one.

Offline Mage

• Bicycle
  • AREA: North Central Area
  • COG#: Forum
« Reply #19 on: November 28, 2015, 02:04:49 am »

Been there, done that. They just weren't for me. I even bought a second one to re-try using one since everyone talks so highly about them. I suppose to each their own. I justy didnt like sitting on a marshmallow.

Oh, and my two word comment came from the first replu in this thread from Mage who used two words.

I didn't like it myself.  Then somebody told me to let air out of it.  Soon there was almost no air in it.  THEN I liked it!

It's not perfect but, for the $$$, I don't think you can do better.

The problem with all those uber - expensive seats is, what if you don't like it?

Offline 4Bikes

• Iron Butt
« Reply #20 on: November 28, 2015, 11:53:01 am »
Agreed. If it feels like you are sitting on a marshmallow then you have too much air in it. It should feel like you are sitting on the hard seat, but if you move around, you should feel the cushioning.

Offline Not So Wild Turkey

• Road Bike
  • AREA: South Central Area
  • COG#: 10559
« Reply #21 on: November 28, 2015, 12:01:03 pm »
Didn't take long for me to know that ether the stock seat had to go or the whole bike would have to go.  Bought a Laam and after a 1000 mile day it had to go as well.  Purchased a Baldwin and was finally satisfied.  Did a 1500 mile day and only got off the seat 3 times in that trip.  I felt it but there was no doubt that Baldwin was the answer for me.  That being said the same answer doesn't work for everyone.  If you were close enough I would let you borrow my seat for a day to see.  Oh well.

2012 Concours Arabian Red & 80 Suzuki GS1100E
2003 VTX1800R Black / 1979 Suzuki GS1000E / 1969 Norton Commando
Yamaha DT3 250 / Kawasaki 100 G4TR

Offline woody_nj

• Training Wheels
« Reply #22 on: November 28, 2015, 12:12:18 pm »
Thanks for all the great input.  Will store all this till a point where I can afford a good seat.  After having just bought tip guards, grips, winter suit, etc,....I'm poor ???

What is a "potato launcher"?

Someone said the next thing they replaced was the "Potato launcher"

Thanks,
Wood

Offline Sport Rider

• I Need a Life
  • COG#: 8603
« Reply #23 on: November 28, 2015, 12:14:13 pm »
Thanks for all the great input.  Will store all this till a point where I can afford a good seat.  After having just bought tip guards, grips, winter suit, etc,....I'm poor ???

What is a "potato launcher"?

Someone said the next thing they replaced was the "Potato launcher"

Thanks,
Wood

exhaust can.  I personally love the V&H CS-1.

Offline woody_nj

• Training Wheels
« Reply #24 on: November 28, 2015, 12:31:56 pm »
Ahhh.....