Author Topic: "MY a** hurts!"  (Read 4330 times)

Offline Fork

• Mini Bike
  • AREA: North Central Area
  • COG#: 10691
  • Membership Level: Active
Re: "MY a** hurts!"
« Reply #25 on: November 28, 2015, 02:13:03 pm »

One more vote for Loren Mock and the Baldwin seat he builds. He's great to work with and the saddle can't be beat. He's a forum member and rides a Concours as one of his personal bikes.(He also has a Buell problem) I've tried the factory seat, a Corbin, then a Corbin re-done by Seth and back to the Baldwin. Just like the previous posters, I can ride the Baldwin for 1000 miles in a long day and still walk and sit comfortably. Don't know what his secret is but I do know the seat works for me. You'll never regret it.

Fork

Offline Jet Jocky

• Training Wheels
  • AREA: Southwest Area
  • COG#: Forum
  • Membership Level: Forum Subscriber
« Reply #26 on: November 28, 2015, 02:41:46 pm »
A big +1 for Seth Laam seats.

This one on my Connie is my 3rd Laam seat on as many bikes.

Transforms your bike from an a** burn into an all day rocket. :beerchug:

http://forum.cog-online.org/index.php?topic=59415.0;topicseen
Just a semi fossilized old guy on 2 wheels. Cookin wid gas.

Offline seagiant1

• Sport Tourer
  • AREA: Southeast Area
  • COG#: 11323
« Reply #27 on: November 28, 2015, 03:12:49 pm »
Thanks for all the great input.  Will store all this till a point where I can afford a good seat.  After having just bought tip guards, grips, winter suit, etc,....I'm poor ???

What is a "potato launcher"?

Someone said the next thing they replaced was the "Potato launcher"

Thanks,
Wood

Hi,
        That "potato launcher" didn't poke you in the eye when you looked at the bike? :-[

The Delkevic Carbon Fiber Oval is a good fix for that! ;D
“If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen.” -Samuel Adams

"The further a society drifts from the truth, the more it will hate those that speak it"
"In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act." George Orwell

Offline robertv

• Street Cruiser
  • Go Hawks!
  • AREA: Northwest Area
« Reply #28 on: November 28, 2015, 03:30:44 pm »
+1 for Seth Laam seat and Delkevic cans!   ;)

2008 C14, silver [current]
2000 C10, red [sold]

Offline woody_nj

• Training Wheels
  • "The Only way out is through"
  • AREA: Northeast Area
  • COG#: 12222
« Reply #29 on: November 28, 2015, 03:34:13 pm »
No, never cared about mufflers, as long as it came with one.  I'm more about fairings and carrying capabilities.  More of a functional type of guy then aesthetic....

Offline seagiant1

• Sport Tourer
« Reply #30 on: November 28, 2015, 04:24:06 pm »
No, never cared about mufflers, as long as it came with one.  I'm more about fairings and carrying capabilities.  More of a functional type of guy then aesthetic....

Hi,
       Sometimes form follows function! ;D

Good luck, it's a fantastic machine, and worth setting up for YOU! :great:
“If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen.” -Samuel Adams

"The further a society drifts from the truth, the more it will hate those that speak it"
"In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act." George Orwell

Offline Cap'n Bob

• GOLD STAR
  • COG#: 7134
« Reply #31 on: November 28, 2015, 07:33:58 pm »
Why say two words (air hawk) when you can say one, Baldwin!!

Airhawk is one word and is the word.

http://www.airhawk.net

Been there, done that. They just weren't for me. I even bought a second one to re-try using one since everyone talks so highly about them. I suppose to each their own. I justy didnt like sitting on a marshmallow.

Oh, and my two word comment came from the first replu in this thread from Mage who used two words.

I didn't like it myself.  Then somebody told me to let air out of it.  Soon there was almost no air in it.  THEN I liked it!

It's not perfect but, for the $$$, I don't think you can do better.

The problem with all those uber - expensive seats is, what if you don't like it?

I had an Airhawk. I could never get it so there was enough air to do anything but not be too much and made me feel like I was sliding around on the seat. I got rid of it and went with a Alaskan sheep skin on a Corbin seat. The combination offered good support and was soft and comfortable. The sheep skin made the normally hard, but supportive seat, much more usable. It also makes it cooler in the summer and warmer in the winter. (especially if you have a heated seat). There are lots of good seat options out there. But what works good for one, might not work well for the next person. Just my two cents.

Offline robertv

• Street Cruiser
  • Go Hawks!
« Reply #32 on: November 28, 2015, 07:40:38 pm »
I agree, but after riding another buddy's C14 with a stock muffler, the difference in weight and maybe if any increase in power was substantial. Luckily when I bought a new to me 08 C14, it came with the Delkevic. For the seat, I'm very happy with Seth Laam.  :motonoises:

2008 C14, silver [current]
2000 C10, red [sold]

Offline DaddyFlip

• Scooter
  • AREA: South Central Area
  • COG#: 12341
« Reply #33 on: November 28, 2015, 09:25:49 pm »
I have a Baldwin GT on a ZR7... Loren is the man! Tried a Seth seat and didn't like it as well, especially his smooth vinyl- it's a slip n slide. Definitely needs texture, which I'm sure he offers. For my Baldwin, I chose the premium ostrich vinyl for the 7 and love it. Would go with the diamond weave for the 14 IF I didn't go leather.

I also have an Airhawk R which works great on the standard Kawi seat. Just did an 18 hour round trip over two days. The front of the thighs get tired from lack of support; this is where the GT seat shines.

After spending a little time on a Gold Wing, I might also recommend a Russell Day Long, which is a similar design.
2001 ZR-7s "Ol' Red"

Offline Deepsea

• Living large in the land of Hansel & Gretel
  • Street Cruiser
  • COG#: 10376
« Reply #34 on: November 28, 2015, 11:45:24 pm »
I tried all the seats mentioned here and finally settled on a Russell Day Long. Expensive but worth it.

BSA Gold Star, Norton Commando, Moto Guzzi V-7 Sport, Norton Commando, John Player Norton, BMW R90S, Kawasaki Z-1 and Z-1R , Honda CB-650, C-14
El Mirage Record Holder A-BG 3000cc 11/83 184.049 mph  CDA#0438
(twin engine, twin turbo, Z-1)
Retired Navy Saturation Diver

Offline Tom Morgan from Georgia

• Known to family as UNCLE SNAP
  • Tricycle
  • My life begins all over again each day I awake!
  • COG#: 8704
« Reply #35 on: November 29, 2015, 02:52:52 am »
To Rock:  My 2013 Connie seat was NOT COMFORTABLE for me UNTIL it was modified.... this way: Took the seat off, pealed the vinyl back about 2/3 way (after removing some staples), took a sharp turkey knife and cut off about one inch of the foam, ground down the rest of the foam at the large part to shape it for my personal buttocks-thigh fit, then refitted (stretched) the vinyl over the customized foam with new staples and ..... ummmmh!  good fit!  A one hour job with careful planning of where to trim the foam ...and no more tired buttocks or sores under thighs!  And, in the winter, I use an alaskan sheep cover over the seat to keep buttocks warm! Caveat: don't mess up the seat carving with the knife or hand grinder!     
God Bless You 'Connie riders!

Offline mtnbandit

• Moped
  • 2011 C-14 Black
  • COG#: 9917
« Reply #36 on: November 29, 2015, 04:57:14 pm »
  Russell Day Long Seat for me. Very comfortable all day rides. I have 42,971 miles on my 2011 and 36,724 comfortable miles on the Day Long Seat.
 Just my 2 cents.
 Brent
mtnbandit

Offline seagiant1

• Sport Tourer
« Reply #37 on: November 29, 2015, 05:07:48 pm »
Hi,
       Yes you can see the "Russell" has the side "wings" very similar to the "Laam"! :great:

It seems this design is the most comfy for long rides! :motonoises:

What I liked about the Laam was this design, plus the good looks of the seat! :beerchug:

As I said before I doubt any of these guys make a bad seat! ;D

Offline woody_nj

• Training Wheels
  • "The Only way out is through"
  • COG#: 12222
« Reply #38 on: November 29, 2015, 07:28:55 pm »
Reminds me of my old Venture seat - that felt like sitting in my easy chair at home

Offline woodie

• Training Wheels
  • COG#: 10389
« Reply #39 on: November 29, 2015, 07:38:51 pm »
Seth Lamm Custom Seats is what I have. Great!!!

Offline Bigfoot_16

• Crotch Rocket
  • I prefer bikes with more horsepower than noise.
« Reply #40 on: November 29, 2015, 11:40:17 pm »
The problem with all those uber - expensive seats is, what if you don't like it?

Mage, when my Baldwin arrived, it was too firm for my rear and I still slid into the tank. I rode my bike from Texas to Kansas to have Loren work on it. He put denser foam in the front part of the saddle to prevent the sliding forward movement and I rode home. He asked me to ride on the "firmer than my butt liked" main seating area for a few hundred more miles, because it was correct, in his engineering mind, for my size and weight. So, I rode it for several more weeks and put several hundred miles on it. My butt still hurt. I shipped it back to him and he put one level less dense foam in it for me. Now it is perfect and I can't imagine a more comfortable saddle. I paid shipping both ways, but it was more than worth it to get it right.
Jim

2015 Concours 14

Four wheels move the body. Two wheels move the soul. Steve's ECU flash stirs the soul!

Online 4Bikes

• Sport Tourer
  • COG#: 9715
  • Membership Level: Asst. Area Director
« Reply #41 on: November 29, 2015, 11:55:42 pm »
Lots of great information and opinions on what works. I think most of us know what it feels like to ride between 6 to 12 hours on a saddle that slowly wears you down and makes every hour less and less enjoyable.  Spending money on a fix is justifiable. Whatever solution you find, hopefully you will find the right solution and always appreciate what it means to ride without thinking about monkey butt, hot spots, rash, numbness, swamp butt, you name it. Motorcycling long distances is so much better with the right solution. What that solution is, will hopefully not be trial and error since that gets expensive.
Silver 2011 C-14. Previous rides: KZ-400, KZ-750, KZ-1000.  Keep the rubber side down.  Ride Fast......Live Slow......

Offline Chewy

• Tricycle
« Reply #42 on: November 30, 2015, 05:15:28 pm »
Hey Woody Had the same problem when I first got my bike?I have a GL1800 and CBR1000 So a big difference either way TS seats in Fayetteville AR solved problem He can be frustrating at times but Tom is a seat wizard If your seat has a heating option sure he can transfer it to his new design He actually makes the seat for your body dimensions So look him up and get with him Take care

Offline TicTac

• Bicycle
  • COG#: 11256
« Reply #43 on: November 30, 2015, 10:36:11 pm »
Hi,
       Yes you can see the "Russell" has the side "wings" very similar to the "Laam"! :great:

It seems this design is the most comfy for long rides! :motonoises:

What I liked about the Laam was this design, plus the good looks of the seat! :beerchug:

As I said before I doubt any of these guys make a bad seat! ;D

Only your own a** will give you a correct opinion about the seat.  ;)
Any seat would feel different from the stock seat. But ... only the Russell Company has the rights to use the internal spring. :great:
Once you'll try Russell, you'll never go back!!! :motonoises:
My vote goes to the Russell seat. :beerchug:
Not the best looking, but what a ride!!!  Just like my old ... Ahh... never mind. :) :) :)
« Last Edit: December 01, 2015, 01:10:46 am by Roman »

Offline BillW_NC

• Training Wheels
  • COG#: 12167
« Reply #44 on: December 01, 2015, 12:07:43 am »
OP... order a Russell Day Long.

It is the best... period.