Author Topic: Front brake problem  (Read 871 times)

Offline CDawg1506

• Bicycle
  • AREA: Southwest Area
  • COG#: 11421
  • Membership Level: Active
Front brake problem
« on: November 19, 2015, 10:43:25 pm »
My 2012 C14 hit the ground on a slow speed corner, I estimate 15 MPH. My canyon cages protected everything except for the left mirror and bracket. I was able to pick it up and drive it to my next hotel. I have to pump the front brakes 1 time before I get any braking. I checked fluid levels and checked for leaks and all looks good. My brakes were good until I dropped it and the impact didn't come close to any brake part, lever, master cylinder, calipers or rotors.

Anybody have any ideas on where to start?

Thanx for any help,
Cdawg

Offline mattchewn

• I Need a Life
  • AREA: Northeast Area
  • COG#: 10993
Re: Front brake problem
« Reply #1 on: November 19, 2015, 10:48:36 pm »
You got air in the front brakes. Bleed the master cylinder and then the calipers. I bet that will take care of it,
Matt
2018 H2 SXSE.  (FAT SXSE)
2011 GSX1250 FA
2009 Ninja 500R. (wifes')
2001 Bandit 650  (kids')

Offline Bob H

• Road Bike
  • AREA: North Central Area
  • COG#: 788
« Reply #2 on: November 19, 2015, 11:41:58 pm »
When you tip a bike on it's side, the fluid in the master cylinder reservoir all flows to one end, exposing the port to the cylinder to air.  All it takes is a bubble or two and you'll have a spongy brake.  It might clear by itself, but don't bet on it.  As mattchewn said, bleed it and it should be fine again.
Remember, much of what you see on-line is wrong or misguided, your task is to filter that out!
 '88 one owner:
Bone stock...and proud of it!!

Offline Steiny

• Mini Bike
  • AREA: North Central Area
  • COG#: forum
  • Membership Level: Forum Subscriber
« Reply #3 on: November 30, 2015, 12:02:04 am »
put bike on center stand and lift front wheel off ground.     spin front wheel and check rotors for warping..  I'll bet that the side that was down on the tip over took a little impact and is bent

This same thing happened to a friend of mine when he hit a cat.