Author Topic: Maintenance @ 10,000 miles???  (Read 967 times)

Offline instructor

• Road Bike
  • AREA: Northeast Area
  • COG#: 11886
  • Membership Level: Active
Maintenance @ 10,000 miles???
« on: November 29, 2015, 11:21:27 am »
Winter coming on and so far only real maintenance I have done is change engine oil twice and final drive since the initial change of break in oil, 3 times in 10,000 miles. Installed K&N air filter as well.  Have not attended to coolant or brake fluids to date. Brake pads appear to be fine at this time, but will probably change those out.  Plan is to strip all the plastic and do all these things during the winter. Bike is '12 model and original battery so out of concern for failure this coming Spring will change it out as well. Bike is on battery tender in heated garage so can do all of this in the evenings regardless of the weather. I have the Serv. Man. and already faced and conquered the "plastic monsters" but confused on the change out of brake and clutch fluids. Know there is some device that aids in this area to prevent air bubbles, what is that device?  Pads and change on those seem pretty straight forward.
Once the plastic is removed would think the coolant also straight forward but some suggest buying the coolant from the Honda dealer??  Plan is to get all of this done this winter and by mid summer travel down to Florida and have the valve job done by Steve and also do the "flash" while there. What all am I missing here??  All feedback appreciated.

Offline seagiant1

• Sport Tourer
  • AREA: Southeast Area
  • COG#: 11323
Re: Maintenance @ 10,000 miles???
« Reply #1 on: November 29, 2015, 03:38:33 pm »
Hi,
        Sounds like a plan! :great:

Don't put off flushing the brakes, just did mine awhile back.

I think Fred was talking about getting the radiator fluid from the Honda Dealer!

Thats what I plan to do after flushing with bottled water (no tap water!) ;D
“If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen.” -Samuel Adams

"The further a society drifts from the truth, the more it will hate those that speak it"
"In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act." George Orwell

Offline cuda

• Crotch Rocket
  • Ignorance Is Bliss.
  • COG#: 11405
« Reply #2 on: November 29, 2015, 04:07:07 pm »
Cruise control
Sailor-Chic can help you with that :motonoises:
I'm waiting for Steve's shock up grades my self...
We have invented the world WE see .
It takes 20 years  to build a reputation and 5 minutes to lose it...   - Cog 11405

Offline Sailor_chic

• Crotch Rocket
  • COG#: 11610
« Reply #3 on: November 30, 2015, 12:52:55 pm »
Thanks for the vote Jim. I just got lucky on my install.
Nicole     Port St Lucie, FL.
2013 C14 Black  
2006 Vmax
IBA # 60267

Offline Red Fox

• Street Cruiser
  • AREA: Northwest Area
  • COG#: 11691
« Reply #4 on: December 01, 2015, 10:24:03 am »
better maintenance program than what I've practiced.  three thoughts -
* wintering in garage on battery tender, your stock battery should last >5 years
* I recall reading that Honda and Kawa coolant were pretty much the same.  I replaced my coolant
with Kawa fluid because that's what it came with, and that's who carries the warranty.
* Your's is a 2012; up to 3 yrs from original sale date you can buy the add'l 3yr warranty from Kawa. 
« Last Edit: December 01, 2015, 10:33:32 am by Red Fox »
TryCities, WA.    2011  C-14, silver;  62,000 miles.