Author Topic: power outlet  (Read 2009 times)

Offline andydude

• Road Bike
  • Let's Ride !!
  • AREA: Northeast Area
  • COG#: 10598
  • Membership Level: Active
power outlet
« on: April 28, 2012, 12:38:04 am »
Has anyone bought the power outlet from the right side and installed it on the left ? Is it available to buy ? Expensive ??

Thanks Guys !
2012 Black C14

Offline HotWire

• Bicycle
  • It's never too late for a happy childhood!
  • AREA: Southwest Area
  • COG#: forum
  • Membership Level: Forum Subscriber
Re: power outlet
« Reply #1 on: April 28, 2012, 12:52:04 am »
I thought about doing that but heard that it was about $90 >:( so I spliced on to the existing Accessory wires (check the owners manual) under the left fairing and added a power outlet on both sides tucked under the side covers. Since I'm only powering a GPS, iPod, and/or cell phone, I'm well within the 10 AMP limit on the Accessory circuit.
2012 Black Concours, Mark McDade pipe, PC5, Michelin PR-2's, Muzzy lowering links
Run For The Wall 2001, 2003, 2005, 2010

Offline ZG

• I Need a Life
  • AREA: Northwest Area
  • COG#: 9735
« Reply #2 on: April 28, 2012, 01:18:55 am »
I saw this powerlet one posted on ebay the other day, I don't have one yet but am intriged...

http://www.ebay.com/itm/160788347325?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1423.l2649
BAD A$$ isn't cheap, and cheap isn't BAD A$$...

Offline Fred_Harmon_TX

• COG Technical Editor
  • Industry Member
  • Iron Butt
    • Angel Ride Videos
  • AREA: South Central Area
  • COG#: 2170
« Reply #3 on: April 28, 2012, 01:31:59 am »
If you're talking about putting it in the blank spot on the left side, it won't fit. There is a bracket behind it that is in the way. I had a hard time just putting in a small switch there for the heated grips on my 08.

« Last Edit: April 28, 2012, 01:34:19 am by Fred_Harmon_TX »
Fred H.

Thanksgiving Sale in Effect now!  Concours 1400 Maintenance Videos 
http://www.angelridevideos.com

Offline EnsoniqDude

• Road Bike
  • Running Down a Dream
  • COG#: Forum
  • Membership Level: Forum Subscriber
« Reply #4 on: April 28, 2012, 04:14:38 am »
Same with the 2010+ ?

Wondering if they planned to use that slot for something during the design phase.
2010 C14 - "Neptune Blue" - All praise be unto the blessed color!
2007 Ural Tourist
1997 ZX-11
1984 Nighthawk S
1976 CB750
1965 Dream

"Chicks dig me because I rarely wear underwear and when I do, its usually something strange and unusual."

Offline armyguns

• Mini Bike
  • COG#: 9336
« Reply #5 on: April 28, 2012, 11:58:21 am »
I mounted a Powerlet at the left side dash location of my 2010.  It was difficult, but not impossible.  Remove the left side top fairing piece first.  That's the piece where the glove box and grip heater control is on the 2010's. As Fred pointed out, about 1/2 inch behind what looks like a plastic cap (but which isn't removable) is a square hole in the metal (aluminum?) bracket. You can sorta' get your hand up under there to feel around once the fairing piece is removed.   Once I drilled through the plastic 'cap' I used a round file to open up the square hole enough to insert the Powerlet and install the nut to hold the Powerlet in place.  I used the switched accessory leads that are hidden inside the big black electric boot that is right there. In total it probably took 40 minutes to do - and I took my time. 
2010 C14
COG 9336

Offline andydude

• Road Bike
  • Let's Ride !!
« Reply #6 on: April 28, 2012, 01:29:18 pm »
Thanks ! ....... great info ! Just not sure about this powerlet because of needing their male end as well !!
2012 Black C14

Offline Gremlin

• Bicycle
  • AREA: South Central Area
  • COG#: 10011
« Reply #7 on: April 28, 2012, 02:42:31 pm »
andydude - there are some suggestions and pictures in Second accessory plug in Accessories (sorry but i do not know how to include the link).  I installed a stock second plug on the left side of the panel so it matches the one on the right.  You will need to drill a 5/8 hole and then grind the square space in the metal behind the panel to make round and about 1" diameter to accept the base of the accessory socket.  I bedded it in silicone because not many threads for the socket nut.   Wired it to the accessory leads under the rubber  over under lert upper panel.  Works great.  Grinding was only challenge.  It took about an hour. 

Offline chamberlincalls

• Mini Bike
  • AREA: Southeast Area
  • COG#: 9534
« Reply #8 on: April 28, 2012, 06:42:20 pm »
Here is a stock one that I put in the left side,  you do have to make the square hole round.  I used a a small rotary tool.

Offline ChipDoc

• Sport Tourer
  • Work to ride - Ride to work!
  • COG#: 9934
« Reply #9 on: April 29, 2012, 05:57:36 am »
Thanks ! ....... great info ! Just not sure about this powerlet because of needing their male end as well !!

They're easy enough to come by, Andy.  Murph has them in stock at reasonable prices.  And believe me, the Powerlets are a LOT better than the standard cigarette lighter plug - particularly in rough or wet conditions!

http://www.murphskits.com/catalog/advanced_search_result.php?keywords=powerlet&x=0&y=0

Offline Gypsy JR

• American Gypsy
  • I Need a Life
  • Living the Gypsy Life
  • COG#: 9279
« Reply #10 on: April 29, 2012, 11:58:48 am »

They're easy enough to come by, Andy.  Murph has them in stock at reasonable prices.  And believe me, the Powerlets are a LOT better than the standard cigarette lighter plug - particularly in rough or wet conditions!

http://www.murphskits.com/catalog/advanced_search_result.php?keywords=powerlet&x=0&y=0

A BMW plug will work in a Powerlet socket as well. I chose to use Powerlet sockets and plugs because I like the fit better than BMW-style. They are smaller, too.

I put a USB outlet with a waterproof cap in the blank on the left side. When I bored through it with a 5/16" hole saw (metal) I just went through the bracket behind it too. Then cleaned it up with a small file.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
2017 Forest River Flagstaff Super-V 27VRL travel trailer
Where are you? [insert random forest name]

Offline andydude

• Road Bike
  • Let's Ride !!
« Reply #11 on: April 29, 2012, 06:18:24 pm »
Thanks again for the great help guys !!   I'm new here and already love the helpfull people !!  :)
2012 Black C14