Author Topic: "Thank you" for everything!  (Read 7785 times)

Offline Caffeinated

• Moped
  • AREA: Northeast Area
  • COG#: Forum
  • Membership Level: Forum Subscriber
Re: "Thank you" for everything!
« Reply #50 on: May 27, 2016, 02:21:04 pm »
Good looking bike there Mike. I looked at those back in 2013 when they first came out and I was looking to replace my totaled 2011 C14. The sticker shock at that time prevented me even taking it for a ride. But now I see 2014's for around $12K with low miles, so getting better.

Question, How's the maintenance compared to the C14? Basically the same normal stuff with a pricey valve job in there? what's the valve check intervals? I'll head over to the trophy forum to check it out.
Chris
Bristow, Va
2012 Black Concours 14
2011 Silver Concours 14 (Totaled)
2002 Silver Concours (sold)

Offline MikeB_CA

• Road Bike
  • AREA: Southwest Area
« Reply #51 on: May 27, 2016, 08:50:18 pm »
Yep...exactly!

Just got back from doing 100 miles and was ready for another 700! 100 miles on the Trophy is like riding around the block!

I rode the bike around Lake Casitas, a road I've ridden many times on the Concours, and the Trophy ate that up like it was nothing! The bike tore up twisties with extreme ease :great:!

Offline sininja

• Moped
  • AREA: North Central Area
« Reply #52 on: May 29, 2016, 02:30:26 am »
Since you got my interest extremely piqued, I swung by a triumph dealer to check one over.  Like everything else made, the seat and cockpit is infinitely more comfy lol...  it looked pretty awesome.  I'm not convinced the engine is near the c14 (especially with a sisf flash) but I can definitely see the allure of cruise control and a radio etc. with a real seat and better fairing setup.  I'm sure it handles good too, triumph always puts a big priority on that.  At this point I'd basically have to spend double to move up when I'd most likely be content getting the horrendous stock seat fixed instead.  Congrats again, it's been a while since I've seen a bike that made me think about upgrading to.  F6b being the only other one. 

Offline MikeB_CA

• Road Bike
« Reply #53 on: May 29, 2016, 07:21:24 pm »
Question, How's the maintenance compared to the C14? Basically the same normal stuff with a pricey valve job in there? what's the valve check intervals? I'll head over to the trophy forum to check it out.

Caffeinated, the intervals are more spread out that the C14. Oil service evrey 10k miles and valves every 20k miles. And, from what I'm hearing, easier to work on than the C14 which is a bonus!

Offline MikeB_CA

• Road Bike
« Reply #54 on: May 29, 2016, 07:30:17 pm »
Since you got my interest extremely piqued, I swung by a triumph dealer to check one over.  Like everything else made, the seat and cockpit is infinitely more comfy lol...  it looked pretty awesome.  I'm not convinced the engine is near the c14 (especially with a sisf flash) but I can definitely see the allure of cruise control and a radio etc. with a real seat and better fairing setup.  I'm sure it handles good too, triumph always puts a big priority on that.  At this point I'd basically have to spend double to move up when I'd most likely be content getting the horrendous stock seat fixed instead.  Congrats again, it's been a while since I've seen a bike that made me think about upgrading to.  F6b being the only other one.

Sininja, I had the same worries regarding power and I had the SISF flash on my C14. The power is definitely different and the power of the C14 is more violent and instant power whereas the Trophy is very smooth and easy power. The Trophy goes and goes well...I was pleasantly surprised! I've been getting on it more and more since it's beyond the break-in point and the things scoots! I have no issue with the power at all and the bike out handles the C14 by a long shot! The power and feel of the Trophy is so smooth! For me, the Trophy is a lot more fun and comfortable to ride than the C14!

I just went on a canyon ride this morning and it was effortless...so fun to flick that Trophy through curves! I fueled up after 250 miles with a little less than a gallon left in the tank...and that was after riding pretty hard! So far, everything about it is better IMHO.

I am really looking forward to getting the GPS mounted, the optional tall windscreen installed, the quick release tank bag for the Trophy and the optional 'comfort' seat!! The stock seat on the Trophy is fantastic and I am hearing the 'comfort' seat is much better so that should be awesome. All the accessories should start coming in sometime this week.

Offline Sailor_chic

• Crotch Rocket
  • AREA: Southeast Area
  • COG#: 11610
  • Membership Level: Active
« Reply #55 on: May 30, 2016, 11:14:58 am »
Let the windshield buying begin  ;)
Nicole     Port St Lucie, FL.
2013 C14 Black  
2006 Vmax
IBA # 60267

Offline MikeB_CA

• Road Bike
« Reply #56 on: May 30, 2016, 05:09:58 pm »
Let the windshield buying begin  ;)

:D...Nope, the windscreen on the Trophy is a big improvement over the C14! I ordered the optional "tall" windscreen when I was ordering my accessories so that's taken care of!

Offline MikeB_CA

• Road Bike
« Reply #57 on: June 03, 2016, 08:20:07 pm »
Getting all my accessories installed!

Put my new 'tall touring' windscreen, custom seat and tank bag system on yesterday. The seat and windscreen are big improvements over the stock items.

GPS, heated grips and powered trunk going on today...bike is coming together nicely!

For those that are wondering...the Trophy get better with each ride!

Offline SilverConnieRider

• Crotch Rocket
  • AREA: North Central Area
  • COG#: 11953
« Reply #58 on: June 03, 2016, 11:40:00 pm »
Getting all my accessories installed!

Put my new 'tall touring' windscreen, custom seat and tank bag system on yesterday. The seat and windscreen are big improvements over the stock items.

GPS, heated grips and powered trunk going on today...bike is coming together nicely!

For those that are wondering...the Trophy get better with each ride!

Glad it's working out for you.

Where are the pictures of the upgrades you are adding.
Just because it's not a Connie doesn't mean we are not interested and I for one would like to see the upgrades you are doing.
Also how are the upgrades costs compared to the upgrades you put on you Connie?  Just curious.  Do you feel the upgrades are any higher quality?

Also when you say "powered trunk" I'm going to assume your talking about either USB or 12v power  OR is it power operated opening and closing?  ;D

Heated grips were NOT standard?

Offline MikeB_CA

• Road Bike
« Reply #59 on: June 04, 2016, 02:35:00 am »
Heated grips WEREN'T standard...kind of a disappointment but still not even close to a 'deal breaker'!

Powered trunk means there is 12V power in the trunk for charging. There is also a 'Powerlet' for the passenger and one for the rider as well as a 12V cigarette adapter and USB port in the glove box.

Accessories are just upgrades that are offered by Triumph; Taller windscreen (definitely better), comfort seat front and back (definitely better and the stock was good so this seat is really nice), trunk with back rest, GPS mount, grips.

These are the upgrades I'm adding and I'm finished with it after this! The bike is so good there isn't anything else that needs to be done.

Cost is tough to compare because this bike has a lot of what the Connie doesn't have. CC, nice seats, nice windscreen...things like that won't cost you extra.  The comfort seat upgrade is about what it would cost to get a basic custom for the Concours. Same for the Windscreen. The GPS mount is mounted in a clean fashion to the top of the dash and the Satellite radio antenna is mounted there too. I added a Ram connection between the GPS and mount (I'll show through pics later) so the GPS sits higher...nice setup!

I'll send pics when I can.

Mike

Offline DaddyFlip

• Scooter
  • AREA: South Central Area
  • COG#: 12341
« Reply #60 on: June 04, 2016, 03:14:43 am »
Congratulations on your Trophy. I've been putting off finding out what this "Thank You" thread was all about until tonight. I came to the C14 from a Tiger Explorer, which has the same engine, drivetrain and frame. There is no doubt that Triumph got it right with the engine and drivetrain. Chances are had I chosen the Trophy instead of the Tiger, I might still be on a Triumph. But, alas; yet, I am on the right bike for me, as you are now. A forum friend of mine also traded his Connie for a silver Trophy and gives a glowing report as you do. Enjoy.
2001 ZR-7s "Ol' Red"

Offline BamaCOGer

• Bicycle
  • COG#: 9317
« Reply #61 on: June 04, 2016, 08:48:44 pm »
Very pretty, enjoy the ride, whatever you ride.
2011 Kawasaki Concours Black - Current
1998 Honda Valkyrie Tourer Black - Current   

Previous Bikes: 2004 Honda Shadow Sabre 1100, 2000 Kawasaki Concours, 1980 Kawasaki Z750, 1972 Suzuki 750 (aka Water Buffalo), 1971 Suzuki 250, 1966 Bridgestone 175

Offline MikeB_CA

• Road Bike
« Reply #62 on: June 04, 2016, 08:54:42 pm »
Thanks guys! Still dealing with setup...trying to get everything 'dialed' in so the bike is set up the way I like (audio and things like that). I really am enjoying the bike though!

Offline FTB530

• Street Cruiser
  • COG#: 12127
« Reply #63 on: June 04, 2016, 09:37:14 pm »
Thanks guys! Still dealing with setup...trying to get everything 'dialed' in so the bike is set up the way I like (audio and things like that). I really am enjoying the bike though!

Went to a dealer a couple days ago and looked at one, really nice bike,salesman tried to get me to ride a 15 he had In back and told me he would make me a good deal,had to put him off for a few months though.

Offline MikeB_CA

• Road Bike
« Reply #64 on: June 04, 2016, 09:50:19 pm »
Good thing you didn't ride it...you'd be buying one :great:!

We were going to wait till the end of the year but once my wife rode on it with me (test ride) and realized how nice it was and thought about the tires that we were going to have to buy in the next couple of months and the valves I was going to do she decided to let me do it now...so glad she did!

Offline FTB530

• Street Cruiser
« Reply #65 on: June 05, 2016, 01:12:07 am »
Good thing you didn't ride it...you'd be buying one :great:!

We were going to wait till the end of the year but once my wife rode on it with me (test ride) and realized how nice it was and thought about the tires that we were going to have to buy in the next couple of months and the valves I was going to do she decided to let me do it now...so glad she did!

When my shoulder heals I plan to ride  the  Trophy,FJR and see what the 2017  Connie has to offer.

Offline MikeB_CA

• Road Bike
« Reply #66 on: June 05, 2016, 01:22:03 am »
Good choices! The FJR is too small for me in overall size, the Concours is awesome but not comfortable enough for me on long days in the saddle, the Trophy offers pretty much everything I was looking for so I have the bike I'm happy with and plan on keeping it for many years and riding as many miles as she'll take me! Good luck with choosing the next bike, let me know if I can help in any way and hope the healing process is going well!

Mike

Offline KennyS

• Bicycle
  • AREA: Northeast Area
  • COG#: forum
« Reply #67 on: June 06, 2016, 10:33:47 am »
Friend of mine had a dealership, they are great rides.
A local ship has one one the floor that is already 2 years old,will not budge a buck on the price....it a lot of bank for the buck just little out of price range for me...
2008 kaw c14
2007 Suzuki m109
2008 Honda 650 xrl

Offline MikeB_CA

• Road Bike
« Reply #68 on: June 06, 2016, 01:36:20 pm »
That's the thing...the bike is tough to get for much less than sticker. It's such a well-liked bike for those that end up buying them. The problem lies with Triumph and they're lack of marketing the Trophy...not a lot of people know about the bike.

The bike stickers at $19,5k here in So Cal and I got it for $16,5k. I was able to talk them down on a brand new 2016 that they had on the floor for about a month so I consider myself fortunate. There are times throughout the year that Triumph will offer 'vouchers' for accessories and some shops will drop the price of the bike during that time. Keep an eye out for those sales and maybe it'll make sense then.I hope you get the opportunity to own one some day...it's such a great bike!

Mike

Offline Dirtwiz

• Road Bike
  • COG#: 12372
« Reply #69 on: June 07, 2016, 03:32:06 am »
I really like the look of that bike but I need to wear my C14 out first. I don't get the 10,000 mile oil changes though?
In theory, practice and theory are the same. In practice, they aren't. Without data you are just another guy with an opinion.

Offline MikeB_CA

• Road Bike
« Reply #70 on: June 07, 2016, 01:35:11 pm »
I really like the look of that bike but I need to wear my C14 out first. I don't get the 10,000 mile oil changes though?

I don't either and won't do that! I will change mine every 5k miles...cheap insurance for the motor :great:!

Oh, and wear that thing out fast..this is a GREAT bike!

Offline flashback50

• Road Bike
« Reply #71 on: June 08, 2016, 01:16:09 pm »
That's the thing...the bike is tough to get for much less than sticker. It's such a well-liked bike for those that end up buying them. The problem lies with Triumph and they're lack of marketing the Trophy...not a lot of people know about the bike.

The bike stickers at $19,5k here in So Cal and I got it for $16,5k. I was able to talk them down on a brand new 2016 that they had on the floor for about a month so I consider myself fortunate. There are times throughout the year that Triumph will offer 'vouchers' for accessories and some shops will drop the price of the bike during that time. Keep an eye out for those sales and maybe it'll make sense then.I hope you get the opportunity to own one some day...it's such a great bike!

Mike

My local dealer had a 15 model for 15,799 and a 1500.00 voucher but when I asked about it he admitted the price of 15,799 was with the 1500.00 voucher included, so I think that is deceiving

Offline MikeB_CA

• Road Bike
« Reply #72 on: June 08, 2016, 01:44:36 pm »
Something's wrong there. The local shop here will drop the bike to $15,5k AND offer the $1,500 toward accessories...sounds like someone doesn't know what they're talking about :smiley_confused1:

We would have waited but I didn't want to put any more money into the Concours and then turn around and trade it in so we bought when we did.

Offline FTB530

• Street Cruiser
« Reply #73 on: June 08, 2016, 02:51:01 pm »
Is there any way to find out when the price drop happens without asking a salesman, would like to go In the dealer aware of the lower price and voucher if possible.

Offline MikeB_CA

• Road Bike
« Reply #74 on: June 08, 2016, 02:59:32 pm »
I would check your dealers website...they will usually show the Triumph deals and that's typically when the price drop happens. Either that or just keep going in. The voucher deal usual;ly lasts a while so if you stopped by middle of each month you'll hit it...eventually! BUT, when you do come across the deal make sure you have your information and checkbook with you...it happens fast  :motonoises: :great:!