Author Topic: "Thank you" for everything!  (Read 4706 times)

Offline DaddyFlip

• Scooter
  • AREA: South Central Area
  • COG#: 12341
  • Membership Level: Active
Re: "Thank you" for everything!
« Reply #75 on: June 08, 2016, 03:10:59 pm »
@MikeB... I'm glad you are going with a 5k OCI! Change your rear gear oil this often also, even though Triumph says it NEVER needs changing. Yeah, right! Over on the Triumph forums, there was never a consensus on why Triumph specs the maintenance like this, unless it's to lure buyers wary of short maintenance intervals (like on the Boxer twin). One thing you will hate relative to the Connie is the location of the oil filter. It's on the left side of the engine casing and is tough to get off without making a mess. What I did after draining the oil pan was, (1) put bike on sidestand, (2) tap a nail into the bottom and top edges of the filter, (3) pull the nails out and let the oil drain out of the filter and MOST (but not all) of the engine casing. When you remove the filter, there will still be some oil that wants to drain all over the side of your engine, but not too much. The good news is the Trophy uses the same size filter as the Connie, so if you found a non-OE filter you liked, you could use it. My preference is Mobil1 M1-110 and Fram XG7317.

@sininja... This triple is VERY fast; at least it was in the Tiger, which is 100 lbs lighter than the Trophy. While there are some quirks with the Triumphs, the engine and fueling is not one of them.

Oh, you can deal up to five hands of poker on top of the Trophy's fuel tank cowling; that thing is huge!
2001 ZR-7s "Ol' Red"

Offline MikeB_CA

• Road Bike
  • AREA: Southwest Area
  • COG#: Forum
  • Membership Level: Forum Subscriber
« Reply #76 on: June 08, 2016, 03:55:05 pm »
Yeah, I heard from a local Trophy owner that the oil change can be a little 'messy' but no big deal. Thank you for the info! I will definitely be changing the rear drive oil too during changes... again, cheap insurance and I would be stressed waiting to change oil every 10k!

Thank you for the info on oil filters because I like one using the same filter you mentioned!

Anyone questioning or wondering about the Trophy's power...it's got plenty! No complaints here!

And you can play cards and have a meal on it...it is HUGE!

Offline Caffeinated

• Moped
  • AREA: Northeast Area
« Reply #77 on: June 08, 2016, 04:01:32 pm »
Admins need to lock this thread so I can stop thinking about another bike! >:( :sign0085:
Chris
Bristow, Va
2012 Black Concours 14
2011 Silver Concours 14 (Totaled)
2002 Silver Concours (sold)

Offline TimR

• Global Moderator
  • Iron Butt
  • AREA: Northwest Area
  • COG#: 9032
  • Membership Level: Asst. Area Director
« Reply #78 on: June 08, 2016, 04:16:01 pm »
Admins need to lock this thread so I can stop thinking about another bike! >:( :sign0085:

It is sorta off topic isn't it.
Blue 1975 Z1B 900, Red 09 C14     I might not be perfect but at least I don't ride a Suzuki

Offline DaddyFlip

• Scooter
  • AREA: South Central Area
  • COG#: 12341
  • Membership Level: Active
« Reply #79 on: June 08, 2016, 04:27:38 pm »
@MikeB... I was just thinking check the clearance between the oil filter and the cover. There was no cover on the Tiger so I could use any length filter I wanted. There may be a physical limit on the Trophy I don't know about.
2001 ZR-7s "Ol' Red"

Offline Caffeinated

• Moped
  • AREA: Northeast Area
« Reply #80 on: June 08, 2016, 04:34:14 pm »
Wonder if it takes the KN-303's? if so, that would be a bonus since I have 10 of them.
Chris
Bristow, Va
2012 Black Concours 14
2011 Silver Concours 14 (Totaled)
2002 Silver Concours (sold)