Author Topic: "Top Tier Fuels, In Your C14???  (Read 1913 times)

Offline Jorge

• Officer
  • Sport Tourer
  • AREA: Southeast Area
  • COG#: 9297
  • Membership Level: Event Host
Re: "Top Tier Fuels, In Your C14???
« Reply #25 on: September 23, 2017, 11:02:16 pm »
Steve, thanks for correcting my error!
If I understood the "rules" for Top Tier correctly, all the grades sold by a Top Tier station must meet the more stringent requirements, where is gasohol or straight gasoline, so you may not have to make that choice :-)

Offline currenv

• Training Wheels
  • AREA: North Central Area
  • COG#: 11913
  • Membership Level: Active
« Reply #26 on: September 25, 2017, 03:48:15 am »
Thanks for reposting the link to the top tier brands which I missed in the first post.  It's a surprisingly (to me) long list of vendors, with many discount brands included.  Looks like I've been complying with the advice to use this fuel, albeit by accident.

Vinnie

Offline Steve in Sunny Fla

• Industry Member
  • I Need a Life
  • COG#: 6977
« Reply #27 on: September 25, 2017, 11:34:00 am »
Thanks for reposting the link to the top tier brands which I missed in the first post.  It's a surprisingly (to me) long list of vendors, with many discount brands included.  Looks like I've been complying with the advice to use this fuel, albeit by accident.

Vinnie

Funny how that works.  I'm developing some property to move to about 100 miles away. Kind of remote. There's no Shell, Texaco, BP around there... but a bunch of Marathon stations. I gassed up there out of necessity a few times. The question lingered, so I went and reviewed the top tier list . WHEW lucky I guess... Marathon is top tier! My truck even started running better after I found that out !  :rotflmao:  Steve
C-14 ECU flashing for performance and rideability enhancement
C-10 Carb work , cams, & performance enhancements
 " Modifications for sport-tourers, BY a sport-tourer"
https://sites.google.com/site/shoodabenengineering/home

Offline ChrisM

• Big Wheels
  • AREA: Northeast Area
  • COG#: Forum
  • Membership Level: Forum Subscriber
« Reply #28 on: September 25, 2017, 01:32:16 pm »
I was once told to avoid filling up at stations that were actively receiving a fuel delivery since the water and debris can get stirred up in the tanks while they are being filled. I only use TT fuel, but also avoid stations with a tanker in the parking lot.

Offline seagiant1

• Sport Tourer
  • COG#: 11323
« Reply #29 on: September 25, 2017, 03:25:52 pm »
Hi,
       There is a MARATHON Station at the exit off I-95 and US 17 leading to Charleston,SC.

I used to stop there everytime I went back to work, in need of a fill up. :motonoises:

I to, was not sure if it was a TT station, but it did usually, have clean restrooms!!! ;D ;D ;D

Now I know! :great:
“If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen.” -Samuel Adams

"The further a society drifts from the truth, the more it will hate those that speak it"
"In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act." George Orwell

Offline bobgroger

• Tricycle
  • AREA: Northwest Area
  • COG#: 12689
« Reply #30 on: October 11, 2017, 12:48:55 am »
"Top Tier" is a pay-to-play marketing campaign. It requires a standard minimum additive package that is most likely already in the tanks at the rack where the trucks fill up. The racks are run by the biggest players, some of who do not sell retail fuel. Locally there are Kinder-Morgan, a pipeline operator; US Oil; Conoco-Phillips; and Arco (Exxon-Mobil). They feed ALL the branded and unbranded stations here. Chevron is the only one AFAIK that require a 5 gallon bucket of additive thrown in a 10000 gallon load. I have spent a lot of time working for a petroleum transport company. What I look for is a newer (plastic tanks, less condensation) station that does high volume and has frequent refills. One Costco for example can get 3 10000 gallon loads a day from 3 different racks and they are "Top Tier".
09 C14 24k
'80 GS1100e Dragbike 8k
'83 GS1100e stock 42k
'80 GS850 my favorite bike 18k