Author Topic: (sorry about this) FOB Question.  (Read 4936 times)

Offline Richard_14b

• Still using my
  • Training Wheels
  • AREA: Southeast Area
  • COG#: forum
  • Membership Level: Forum Subscriber
(sorry about this) FOB Question.
« on: November 10, 2012, 01:57:12 am »
OK, I know this subject must get old for the experienced COGer, but...    :)

What's the disadvantage of storing the FOB in the "glove box"?

Obviously: If the FOB battery runs dead you are SOL. But NOT of you hide the Emergency FOB on the bike. Also, you SHOULD get a warning that the battery is low, so it's really a mute point. Secondly (and obvious) is the security risk. But besides them arguments, it seems to me that the glove box is ideal for low-risk rides such as commuting to work. Whadia Think?

(trying to love KIPASS)  :motonoises:
Specific motor oil recommendations since 1989 without a single blown engine reported.

Offline scooter

• Scooter
  • AREA: Southwest Area
  • COG#: 10551
  • Membership Level: Active
Re: (sorry about this) FOB Question.
« Reply #1 on: November 10, 2012, 02:01:25 am »
i just keep mine in my pocket
southern utah
2011 silver concours

Offline Richard_14b

• Still using my
  • Training Wheels
« Reply #2 on: November 10, 2012, 02:33:29 am »
i just keep mine in my pocket

That's obviously the best way to go, but I find the fob to be large and combersome. I'm not warming up to it. I'm thinking of using the "emergency" key for my main key and keeping the big fob in the safe at home. But before I do that, like i said, I'm "trying to love KIPASS" because I sure as heck love everything else about the Connie so far!  :great:
Specific motor oil recommendations since 1989 without a single blown engine reported.

Offline scooter

• Scooter
  • COG#: 10551
« Reply #3 on: November 10, 2012, 02:58:17 am »
how about a jacket pocket,some people keep it around there neck.that seams more trouble than a pocket too me,i dont even notice it in my pants pocket so its not a big deal to me, but i wouldnt keep it on the bike.kinda defeats the purpose if you know what i mean.but whatever works for you is the best
southern utah
2011 silver concours

Offline Skinny

• Tricycle
  • AREA: Northwest Area
  • COG#: 10464
« Reply #4 on: November 10, 2012, 04:05:08 am »
Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but if you put the big fob in the safe at home you will have to use the small fob by placing it in back of the ignition every time you start it.  Big fob and it's little brother are not the same although that would be nice if they were.

If you leave the big fob in the glove box, someone can steal your ride unless you take the key out and it's more cumbersome than the big fob to put in a pocket.

Obviously if you leave the big fob in the glove box and take the big key, someone can take the fob then you're really hosed.

I keep mine in my riding jacket, and the back up one stashed in the bike somewhere :great:
« Last Edit: November 10, 2012, 04:07:57 am by Skinny »
2012 C-14, arabian red, ast risers, aeroflow med. screen,

Offline Necron99

• Crotch Rocket
  • rise again....
  • AREA: South Central Area
  • COG#: 9384
« Reply #5 on: November 10, 2012, 11:28:22 am »
Mine just lives in a zippered jacket pocket and I ignore it.

And it's "moot".  Mute means "can't talk."  Moot means "little or no meaning."

Offline S Smith

• Northeast Area Director
  • Officer
  • I Need a Life
    • COG Northeast Area Home Page
  • AREA: Northeast Area
  • COG#: 3184
  • Membership Level: Administrator
« Reply #6 on: November 10, 2012, 11:43:18 am »
If the battery becomes weak, dead, or signal is somehow blocked (it happens) the KiPass system will not be able to read the fob when activated and allow the key to be turned to on, potentially leaving the rider starnded unless they have the passive (small) fob.

Anyone can walk up to the bike and have total access, including, but not limited to:
  • Leaving the key in the ON position leading to a dead battery
  • Taking the key
  • Taking what is in the glove box (fob)
  • Taking the side cases or what is in the cases
  • Taking the seat or what is stowed under the seat
  • Taking the bike

| Steve Smith | COG #3184 | MSF/CONREP RC |

There is more to be gained by members raising hands saying "I'll do that" instead of pointing fingers saying "nobody's doing that."

Offline JerBear

• Moped
  • AREA: North Central Area
« Reply #7 on: November 10, 2012, 12:20:16 pm »
If the battery becomes weak, dead, or signal is somehow blocked (it happens) the KiPass system will not be able to read the fob when activated and allow the key to be turned to on, potentially leaving the rider starnded unless they have the passive (small) fob.

Anyone can walk up to the bike and have total access, including, but not limited to:
  • Taking the key
  • Taking the bike

I agree with all of your list with the exception of the opening statement: A battery dead fob will work the same as the passive card type fob.  Because the battery is dead it won't transmit but it still unlocks the key if held against the top of the kipass lock
2008 Silverdammit C14

Offline S Smith

• Officer
  • I Need a Life
« Reply #8 on: November 10, 2012, 12:38:05 pm »
I agree with all of your list with the exception of the opening statement: A battery dead fob will work the same as the passive card type fob.  Because the battery is dead it won't transmit but it still unlocks the key if held against the top of the kipass lock

The original poster asked about storing the fob in the glove box.  Since unlocking the glove box requires turning the key to the ON position, how will you hold it against the top of KiPass lock when you can not unlock the glove box?

There is more to be gained by members raising hands saying "I'll do that" instead of pointing fingers saying "nobody's doing that."

Offline mehush

• Road Bike
  • COG#: 11038
  • Membership Level: Expired - Expired Term
« Reply #9 on: November 10, 2012, 01:58:07 pm »
When I went for a test ride the dealer put the FOB in the glove box and told me not to worry about it. About a mile down the road the dash displayed a message that the transducer(FOB) was out of range, not recognized, or some such code. I was afraid the bike would quit but it did not. Rode the rest of the test ride w/o issue, but when reading later about the warning not to place the FOB in the glove box I fully understood.

Offline RUFFSTUFF

• Bicycle
  • COG#: Forum
« Reply #10 on: November 10, 2012, 03:27:46 pm »
FWIW, the "glove box" doesn't actually lock. Even if you press the button with the bike off and no key fob, it will open. I know because I had the bike for a week before I found out that you were supposed to turn the bike on before trying to open it. Thankfully, I didn't break anything.
2012 Concours 14, 2007 Yamaha R1, 2006 Yamaha R6

Offline runnerb0y

• Street Cruiser
  • If you don't think too good, don't think too much.
  • COG#: 10517
« Reply #11 on: November 10, 2012, 03:55:03 pm »
FWIW, the "glove box" doesn't actually lock. Even if you press the button with the bike off and no key fob, it will open. I know because I had the bike for a week before I found out that you were supposed to turn the bike on before trying to open it. Thankfully, I didn't break anything.
Ruff,

Mine locks for sure, although it would take 1 second to force/pry it open.  Unless my key is in the on position I cannot simply press the glovebox button and have it open.
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
| COG#: 10517  |  2012 C14 - Candy Arabian Red  | 

Offline RUFFSTUFF

• Bicycle
« Reply #12 on: November 10, 2012, 04:01:14 pm »
Ok, I'll grab my GoPro and show you what happens on mine....

Offline captainmarko

• Mini Bike
« Reply #13 on: November 10, 2012, 07:19:53 pm »
I don't get it.  I've had the FOB in one of my inside jacket pockets since I bought the bike.  It's always there.  Always in range.  I've never noticed it once.

Is your FOB the size of a cinder block? :))
Sleep in the trees and keep your knees in the breeze.

2015 BMW R1200RT

Offline Pistole

• Street Cruiser
  • Membership Level: Expired - Expired Term
« Reply #14 on: November 10, 2012, 07:25:43 pm »
if you find the fob cumbersome, you must ride nekkid ?

Offline S Smith

• Officer
  • I Need a Life
« Reply #15 on: November 10, 2012, 09:51:53 pm »
Ok, I'll grab my GoPro and show you what happens on mine....

Yours is probably malfunctioning. Is is suppose to secure with a solenoid.

Offline RUFFSTUFF

• Bicycle
« Reply #16 on: November 10, 2012, 09:55:23 pm »
Either way, I bet on anyone's, if you push the button with some force it will open...

Test.mp4

Offline Skinny

• Tricycle
  • COG#: 10464
« Reply #17 on: November 10, 2012, 10:24:09 pm »
Ruff,

Mine locks for sure, although it would take 1 second to force/pry it open.  Unless my key is in the on position I cannot simply press the glovebox button and have it open.

Hold on a minute here  :truce:, you mean the box latch isn't supposed to go SNAP! when you press the button when the bike is off?

I've only opened it when off, I thought it was supposed to sound like you're breaking it?
2012 C-14, arabian red, ast risers, aeroflow med. screen,

Offline Bruiser

• Bruiser
  • Sport Tourer
  • kiss philosophy gets it done quicker and simpler
  • COG#: 10410
« Reply #18 on: November 10, 2012, 11:43:22 pm »
Just put it in the pocket of the same jacket you always wear, and not worry about it.
Bruiser

2012 Kawasaki C14
93 Kawasaki C10
1982 Honda CX500 Turbo
1980 Kawasaki KZ1000ST
1978 Honda CB750F
1976 Kawasaki KZ400
1976 Honda 750K
1973 Honda CB500K
1973 Honda SL175
1972 Honda SL125

Offline runnerb0y

• Street Cruiser
  • If you don't think too good, don't think too much.
  • COG#: 10517
« Reply #19 on: November 11, 2012, 01:16:17 am »
Either way, I bet on anyone's, if you push the button with some force it will open...

Test.mp4

I guess you can open it without the bike on.  Guess enough force gets applied to move the latch past the lock.  I'll try this on mine next time I'm near it.  I never store anything valuable in the box anyway as I didn't figure it to be much trouble to get into.
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
| COG#: 10517  |  2012 C14 - Candy Arabian Red  | 

Offline RUFFSTUFF

• Bicycle
« Reply #20 on: November 11, 2012, 03:21:26 am »
Ruff,

Hold on a minute here  :truce:, you mean the box latch isn't supposed to go SNAP! when you press the button when the bike is off?

I've only opened it when off, I thought it was supposed to sound like you're breaking it?

LOL No! Yeah, I felt real stupid when I found out that you are supposed to open it powered up. Oh well.

Offline Richard_14b

• Still using my
  • Training Wheels
« Reply #21 on: November 12, 2012, 01:45:12 am »

• Taking the key
  • Taking the bike

OP here. Thanks for the write-up Steve. I am going to rethink my strategy. Back-n-forth to work, I'm in very low risk of any mischeif or being stranded. However, the glove-box strategy might spoil me, and I'll start doing it on long trips, then one day outside Jessie's Clam Shack in BumFrick Florida, I'll be sorry.

For those that said jacket pocket - no good. I have many jackets, and occasionaly ride with no jacket (of course) because I'm fully nude. Point is, I would ride off one day with the Transponder transponding from a jacket on the table. Then I'm SOL.

I'll find my way some day. :truce:

Offline S Smith

• Officer
  • I Need a Life
« Reply #22 on: November 12, 2012, 09:45:39 am »
I used a zip-tie and attached the RF fob to the key ring lanyard that has keys for the Givi, disk lock, and GPS lock. It is normally sitting on the bike in the garage and goes into my pants pocket upon departure. I do not wear the lanyard as someone warned me that it is far to easy for the fob to break free of the zip tie and fall off undetected. Sure, the bike warns when the fob gets separated from the running bike, but then I would have to double back to find it.

Offline Necron99

• Crotch Rocket
  • rise again....
  • AREA: South Central Area
  • COG#: 9384
« Reply #23 on: November 12, 2012, 07:10:55 pm »

For those that said jacket pocket - no good. I have many jackets, and occasionally ride with no jacket (of course) because I'm fully nude. Point is, I would ride off one day with the Transponder transponding from a jacket on the table. Then I'm SOL.

I'll find my way some day. :truce:

The jacket on the table is too far away for the bike to read it, unless you park RIGHT NEXT to said table.  And if you ride off and the fob gets too far away, as Steve says below, you get a warning light immediately telling you the FOB is out of range.  So it's pretty hard to get TOO far without it.  I have like 5 jackets that I commonly use, and the fob and garage door opener just move from jacket to jacket.  If it's the hardest thing I have to do all day, I'm blessed.  :)

Offline Egodriver71

• Street Cruiser
  • I'm in here somewhere
  • COG#: 8321
  • Membership Level: Asst. Area Director
« Reply #24 on: November 13, 2012, 12:03:21 pm »
I'm trying to comprehend why this FOB thing is such a PITA?

It's like taking your wallet with you?  Or your house keys?

You drop it into a pocket of whatever clothing article you're wearing that day and it's with you.

Unless you're doing the naked thing, then just toss it into the glove box or the saddlebag.
Thomas Mann
Jacksonville, FL

COG #8321

1930 Indian 101 Scout (the first bike)(still in the garage)
1986 Yamaha Radian (the first modern bike)(Sold)
1996 Kawasaki Vulcan 500LTD (the wife's first bike)
1996 Kawasaki Eliminator (Wife's)
1999 Kawasaki Concours (The Warbird)
2006 Kawasaki Vuclan 900 (Wife's)
2009 Kawasaki Concours 14 (Totaled)
2009 Kawasaki Concours 14 (Second Chance)