Author Topic: ***BATTERIES! ***  (Read 936 times)

Offline MadMax

• Tricycle
  • AREA: Northeast Area
  • COG#: forum
  • Membership Level: Forum Subscriber
***BATTERIES! ***
« on: January 06, 2016, 11:48:45 am »
Batteries ? I’ve been reading a lot about different batteries for the C14,
Lithium, AGM lead acid and many makes all a little different.
Now think about Kawasaki who built the bike. They only spend what they have to. They would use what’s available at the right price. They probably had a good deal with a manufacture.
That said, can anyone tell me why the battery box of the C14-A8F is twice the size of the battery?
Perhaps it wasn’t built for the standard  FTZ14-BS. Battery.?
I have had Kawasaki motorcycles since the early 70’s. & every one had a battery that fitted the box nice & snug. Strange that!
So what battery fits the box on the C14?  Measure the size & you will find a
Yuasa (YB16B-A) lead acid battery is a nice tight fit. The +ve terminal is a little close to the top of the box but with the red boot over it. It shouldn’t be a problem. The only problem was routing the battery vent pipe.
For those who run lots of accessories  Remember you cant take out more than you put in. So first thing to do is reduce anything that takes a lot of power.
Headlights draw about 10 amps. So fit HID or LED. Then change the rest of the lights to LED.  You can then run your GPS, phone charger, heated grips etc.
You don’t have to spend a fortune on the basic like batteries.
 Oh I here you say the weight! Is a couple of pounds going to make a difference.
Not that you will notice on a bike that weighs in at 670lbs.Plus accessories plus the extra weight you put on over xmas. Enough said.
 Now take a look at my topic; C14 Total Electrical Failure !!

Offline Jeff

• Mini Bike
  • AREA: Southeast Area
  • COG#: 11971
  • Membership Level: Active
Re: ***BATTERIES! ***
« Reply #1 on: January 06, 2016, 01:24:36 pm »
MADMAX....I like your comment about the battery weight.  Seen so much about saving weight with a Lithium battery on the forum that it makes me laugh.  Wow I saved 2 lbs over a standard lead acid battery....yep on a nearly 700lb bike....before you put your 250 lb overweight butt on it????  That's where your real weight savings worry should be LOL.

Offline Flat-spot

• Sport Tourer
  • AREA: North Central Area
  • COG#: 11111
« Reply #2 on: January 06, 2016, 03:14:53 pm »
That is odd.  My 2008 (USA) came with a big 'ole lead-acid that filled the battery box. Replaced it at 6 years with a Yuasa.
I wonder why Euro spec was different.
'08 C14
There is no such thing as too much ammo, unless you are on fire or trying to swim.

Offline MJinCP

• Road Bike
  • "I'm not quite dead yet." - Monty Python
  • AREA: Southwest Area
  • COG#: Forum
  • Membership Level: Forum Subscriber
« Reply #3 on: January 06, 2016, 08:36:57 pm »
That is odd.  ...snip... I wonder why Euro spec was different.

Their batteries are metric.   :D
Mike
2013 Concours 14
2012 KLR650
1983 GPz 550
2023 Concours 16 (planning ahead)

Offline lather

• Street Cruiser
    • West Florida Republic Riders Club
  • AREA: South Central Area
  • COG#: 10690
« Reply #4 on: January 06, 2016, 11:14:56 pm »
That is odd.  My 2008 (USA) came with a big 'ole lead-acid that filled the battery box. Replaced it at 6 years with a Yuasa.
I wonder why Euro spec was different.
I think they are the same. See MadMax's explanation in his total electrical failure thread.