Author Topic: 09 Concours 14 Clutch Slipping  (Read 1270 times)

Offline MAN OF BLUES

• I Need a Life
  • AREA: North Central Area
  • COG#: 5977
  • Membership Level: Active
Re: 09 Concours 14 Clutch Slipping
« Reply #25 on: September 28, 2017, 07:50:55 pm »
I know what you are saying, and probably did not explain myself properly.

....When I switched to that newer style clutch, I did not buy all new plates....yes, the diagram did call for  ALL plates to be 2.3mm thick, in the new style clutch, but all of my 2.6mm plates were in perfect condition.

It would have been an extra @200.00 to do it as per the drawing...so, I mixed and matched some other 2.0mm plates to achieve the desired stack height. There was no way to land within the narrow stack height margin (45.6-46.4mm) and use my stock plates.  So, I ended up with different thickness plates in an attempt to save money. It felt like insanity to have to build to this narrow margin, but if it was too tall, or too short, even by .5mm, the clutch arm's range of motion was way off.

Two other parts were interesting as well.   If we go to this drawing....

http://www.mrcycles.com/oemparts/a/kaw/500b9043f8700223e479a1c1/clutch

92200 and 92144   Those went away on the newer assist/slipper clutch.

At this point again, I'm totally confused about your decisions and assembly, but if it works for you, for now, it doesn't really matter..

I will say this, I wouldn't want to be, or to meet the person, that buys this bike when you decide to sell it... you've created a FrankenClutch, with no way someone in the future could decode, and guess what parts you used, ditched, swapped, or decided upon. Its the thing some of us professional kinda responsible mechanics cringe at, and never do... as when some unknowing customer wants it worked on, and we quote a price, and it becomes a nightmare of a job...  to simply "refurbish" a worn clutch.... it makes us, the trusted mechanic, look like fools...

30 YEARS OF KAW.....Rich R. (the other one..)  COG 5977  JUSTAMEMBAHNOW

Offline Deepsea

• Street Cruiser
  • AREA: Southwest Area
  • COG#: 10376
« Reply #26 on: September 28, 2017, 09:24:50 pm »
+1 what MOB said! :great: Been there, had to explain to customers why it's screwed up.
BSA Gold Star, Norton Commando, Moto Guzzi V-7 Sport, Norton Commando, John Player Norton, BMW R90S, Kawasaki Z-1 and Z-1R , Honda CB-650, C-14
El Mirage Record Holder A-BG 3000cc 11/83 184.049 mph  CDA#0438
(twin engine, twin turbo, Z-1)
Retired Navy Saturation Diver

Offline MAN OF BLUES

• I Need a Life
  • AREA: North Central Area
  • COG#: 5977
« Reply #27 on: September 28, 2017, 10:14:49 pm »
+1 what MOB said! :great: Been there, had to explain to customers why it's screwed up.

In my past, it was more like "you quoted me this job for $200, and said it would only take 3 hours... now you say its $450, and I have a 5 day wait without my bike.....for "other parts...".. >:( >:(

That's the hard pill to swallow with pride.
I've litterally swapped out all the frictions on my KZ, between rounds at the strip, while someone walked the bike, still filled with oil, leaned over coming to the staging lanes... pretty much 12 minutes with a presoaked set of friction plates in bags....

All good tho, it ain't my bike.

Peace, and ride safe.

30 YEARS OF KAW.....Rich R. (the other one..)  COG 5977  JUSTAMEMBAHNOW

Offline rcannon409

• Street Cruiser
  • AREA: Southwest Area
  • COG#: 9616
« Reply #28 on: September 28, 2017, 10:46:55 pm »
I know what you are saying, and probably did not explain myself properly.

....When I switched to that newer style clutch, I did not buy all new plates....yes, the diagram did call for  ALL plates to be 2.3mm thick, in the new style clutch, but all of my 2.6mm plates were in perfect condition.

It would have been an extra @200.00 to do it as per the drawing...so, I mixed and matched some other 2.0mm plates to achieve the desired stack height. There was no way to land within the narrow stack height margin (45.6-46.4mm) and use my stock plates.  So, I ended up with different thickness plates in an attempt to save money. It felt like insanity to have to build to this narrow margin, but if it was too tall, or too short, even by .5mm, the clutch arm's range of motion was way off.

Two other parts were interesting as well.   If we go to this drawing....

http://www.mrcycles.com/oemparts/a/kaw/500b9043f8700223e479a1c1/clutch

92200 and 92144   Those went away on the newer assist/slipper clutch.

At this point again, I'm totally confused about your decisions and assembly, but if it works for you, for now, it doesn't really matter..

I will say this, I wouldn't want to be, or to meet the person, that buys this bike when you decide to sell it... you've created a FrankenClutch, with no way someone in the future could decode, and guess what parts you used, ditched, swapped, or decided upon. Its the thing some of us professional kinda responsible mechanics cringe at, and never do... as when some unknowing customer wants it worked on, and we quote a price, and it becomes a nightmare of a job...  to simply "refurbish" a worn clutch.... it makes us, the trusted mechanic, look like fools...
[/quo

There's never been time, or place I would need to take my bike to a mechanic for clutch work, so I did not build it for them. It was for me, and this was an experiment to see if these parts would be an economical way to do this conversion.

Also, every piece, other than the clutch plates, are from the 2016 ninja 1000.  If this poor, confused, "professional" ordered the clutch plate set, for the 2016 ninja, it would be the correct choice, and would drop right in.

Even if he could not get that far, "2016 Ninja"  I engraved into the clutch pressure plate would offer a decent clue.....

If this professional mechanic could not figure that out, he's not much of a mechanic.  I don't see myself ordering 200.00 worth of matched plates to please the next owner.  Also, if I sold my bike, the parts used, and the clutch stack is documented in the bikes log book. 

The combination works great, and so far , the guys on the ninja 1000 forum have built this clutch over 20 times.  Uk, India,  as well as Pakistan, too.
« Last Edit: September 28, 2017, 11:21:40 pm by rcannon409 »