Author Topic: 09 exhaust help  (Read 2630 times)

Offline G Man

• Tricycle
  • AREA: Southeast Area
  • COG#: 9554
  • Membership Level: Active
09 exhaust help
« on: September 02, 2013, 06:37:37 pm »
 I added a Two Brothers slip on to my 09 Connie.  The stock pipes look like crap and I wast to remove them and have them coated in black ceramic.  How difficult is it to remove the pipes?  Can't find the R  and R instructions in the shop manual. Can anybody give me the steps?  Also have a PC5 and K&N filter, should I do away with the catalytic converter?

Offline Cap'n Bob

• GOLD STAR
  • AREA: Northeast Area
  • COG#: 7134
Re: 09 exhaust help
« Reply #1 on: September 02, 2013, 07:29:23 pm »
If you want to do away with the Cat, why not spend the big bucks on a full exhaust system? I never fully removed my exhaust, so I can't give you step by step. But it seems pretty straight forward. Maybe moving the radiator out of the way for access to the header nuts. If you do remove or replace anything more in regards to the exhaust. You will need a different mapping in your PCV. There is the option of a CPU reflash as well.

Offline Bruiser

• Bruiser
  • Sport Tourer
  • kiss philosophy gets it done quicker and simpler
  • AREA: Northwest Area
  • COG#: Forum
  • Membership Level: Forum Subscriber
« Reply #2 on: September 03, 2013, 01:05:16 am »
I noticed that the collector under the bike took on a nasty reddish tint, so got a can of Rustoleum  High Temp black. The same stuff used to restore BBQ's. So, directly under the bike, I painted it black. 6000 miles later, it still looks great.
Bruiser

2012 Kawasaki C14
93 Kawasaki C10
1982 Honda CX500 Turbo
1980 Kawasaki KZ1000ST
1978 Honda CB750F
1976 Kawasaki KZ400
1976 Honda 750K
1973 Honda CB500K
1973 Honda SL175
1972 Honda SL125

Offline G Man

• Tricycle
« Reply #3 on: September 03, 2013, 03:16:38 am »
I tried the exhaust paint, in fact three times, and it won't adhere. It bubbles up and flakes off. I have followed the prep instructions to the letter.  I got a quote from a local guy here in Charleston SC for $200.00 to put a ceramic finish on the stock pipes from the cylinders out to the Two Brothers slip on.   That makes it less than a completly new exhaust. I have seen his work and it's good. Just not sure if the removal of the pipes is outside my skill level. I would say I am an average mechanic. I am also not sure about the catalytic converter. Keep or remove.  There is a shop here that can re-tune

Offline Flat-spot

• Sport Tourer
  • AREA: North Central Area
  • COG#: 11111
« Reply #4 on: September 03, 2013, 06:58:57 am »
Just a suggestion. Check out AreaPnolimits.com. Then call em on the phone. They will answer all your exhaust related questions. You already have the PC, with AreaP's full system (about $950) and the removal of your secondary intake butterflies, you could have about 160 RWHP. See dyno charts at fuelmotousa.com. They assembled and tuned this kit for the C14. Mine's ordered, gonna do it this winter. :motonoises: :great:
'08 C14
There is no such thing as too much ammo, unless you are on fire or trying to swim.

Offline MAN OF BLUES

• I Need a Life
  • COG#: 5977
« Reply #5 on: September 03, 2013, 11:46:54 am »
I tried the exhaust paint, in fact three times, and it won't adhere. It bubbles up and flakes off. I have followed the prep instructions to the letter.  I got a quote from a local guy here in Charleston SC for $200.00 to put a ceramic finish on the stock pipes from the cylinders out to the Two Brothers slip on.   That makes it less than a completly new exhaust. I have seen his work and it's good. Just not sure if the removal of the pipes is outside my skill level. I would say I am an average mechanic. I am also not sure about the catalytic converter. Keep or remove.  There is a shop here that can re-tune

I'm a bit confused... first off, you wanna buy a bunch of stuff to modify the bike, but you say you aren't sure if you have the skill level to swap the headers and muffler...?

:rotflmao:

Call me silly, but this is heading into an tailspin.

the cats are integral in the header pipe, to remove them they must be smashed into pieces inside there, and removed bit by bit.... they aren't made to be "removed" so to speak.

you need to seek out a mechanic locally, and hopefully find a trustworthy one, and pay to have this done if you do not have the level to accomplish this...
tossing a an aftermarket PC V is also not for the beginner.... it does take some knowledge to get that right. And as a lot of people will tell you, the simple job of even getting to the airfilter to replace it ain't all that simple.....
« Last Edit: September 03, 2013, 11:52:22 am by MAN OF BLUES »

30 YEARS OF KAW.....Rich R. (the other one..)  COG 5977  JUSTAMEMBAHNOW
and if you are gonna call me names... it's MR. Analdweeb if you please...

Offline Gabriel

• Bicycle
  • AREA: South Central Area
  • COG#: forum
  • Membership Level: Expired - Expired Term
« Reply #6 on: September 03, 2013, 12:10:35 pm »
Not sure why it would be necessary to modify the fuel mixture with an exhaust/fly mod. This is a closed loop system and unless it's on the ragged edge of correct mixture it should be OK, and after all this system seems to handle the fuel mix between negative and positive plenum pressures without any problems.
The only thing I experienced after removing the flies was an occasional slight off idle throttle stumble that is related to some fuel brands and I saw no difference in drivability after the slip-on install.
I may eventually install a fuel controller just to play with it, but it is not necessary at this point.
I also modified the throttle cable ramp (at the grip) to have a smaller uptake initially, this reduced the idle cut-off to on abruptness. :great:

Offline G Man

• Tricycle
« Reply #7 on: September 03, 2013, 01:22:07 pm »
Thanks for the replies. I guess I should give myself a little more credit. I am more mechanically inclined than I implied on my last post. To clarify, if it was worth it to get rid of the converter then I would get new pipes instead of trying to remove the converter from the stock pipe. My main objective is simply aesthetics. The stock pipe looks like crap and I am wondering what you think about ceramically coating the stock pipe verses powder coating

Offline gPink

• Iron Butt
  • MMVIII C XIV
  • COG#: Forum
  • Membership Level: Forum Subscriber
« Reply #8 on: September 03, 2013, 01:25:33 pm »
Powder coating won't stand the heat. If all you want to accomplish is aesthetics, add a slipon muffler and do nothing else.

Offline MAN OF BLUES

• I Need a Life
« Reply #9 on: September 03, 2013, 01:36:59 pm »
ceramic coating drastically improves the heat issues, and if I was to do ceramics, I would want to do the internal coating also, as that really impacts the heat flow; unfortunately you would have to remove the cat sections for that, and as I noted it requires basically breaking it into pieces and trying to get those out. Not sure how the ceramics would bond internally after that.

Offline Gabriel

• Bicycle
« Reply #10 on: September 03, 2013, 01:45:59 pm »
Thanks for the replies. I guess I should give myself a little more credit. I am more mechanically inclined than I implied on my last post. To clarify, if it was worth it to get rid of the converter then I would get new pipes instead of trying to remove the converter from the stock pipe. My main objective is simply aesthetics. The stock pipe looks like crap and I am wondering what you think about ceramically coating the stock pipe verses powder coating

In a nut shell;
Ceramic Coatings are polymer composites with insulating ceramics designed to significantly reduce heat transfer and saturation.
Power coat in no way matches the performance of ceramic coatings, plus some of their greatest benefits come from coating the inside of the pipe also, but the real plus here is a reduction in heat regardless of which surface you coat.

Offline Egodriver71

• Crotch Rocket
  • I'm in here somewhere
  • COG#: 8321
« Reply #11 on: September 03, 2013, 01:54:27 pm »
This is a closed loop system and unless it's on the ragged edge of correct mixture it should be OK

US bikes are not closed loop.

There is NO O2 in a US bike, pure OPEN loop.

Thomas Mann
Jacksonville, FL

COG #8321

1930 Indian 101 Scout (the first bike)(still in the garage)
1986 Yamaha Radian (the first modern bike)(Sold)
1996 Kawasaki Vulcan 500LTD (the wife's first bike)
1996 Kawasaki Eliminator (Wife's)
1999 Kawasaki Concours (The Warbird)
2006 Kawasaki Vuclan 900 (Wife's)
2009 Kawasaki Concours 14 (Totaled)
2009 Kawasaki Concours 14 (Second Chance)

Offline Gabriel

• Bicycle
« Reply #12 on: September 03, 2013, 02:23:16 pm »

[/quote]

I never looked at the bike but I remember seeing them in the Service manual;

Yep, there they are but your right, after looking at my 09 they are not there.
I just assumed they were there, :-[ sorry for the confusion. That makes this bike easier to manipulate.

Offline Glenn

• Street Cruiser
  • COG#: 10332
  • Membership Level: Marketing Officer
« Reply #13 on: September 03, 2013, 02:48:28 pm »
I replaced the original exhaust, with duals, on my "12, using a ZX14 header, and without the cats.  I didn't find the job to be especially difficult, but I took my time, rather than rushing through to get it done (YMMV).  Most of the plastic, obviously, needs to come off, and I did remove the radiator.   I think you could make it work, if you disconnected the bottom of the radiator, and rotated it forward, but I didn't want to run the risk of damaging it, just to avoid taking it out.  The little crush gaskets for the header need to be replaced, and I would get some of the little plastic rivets, and other connectors that hold the plastic, as the sometime break when take them out.  I went to Ron Ayers site for those things, but it's not the only vendor.  As Bob said, if you were to make more significant changes, then you'll need different mapping, either through a PCV, or similar, or reflashing the ECU, usually through Guhl.  Personally, I recommend the latter, but you should do your research.  Oh, and I did find the book said to use inch lbs, instead of foot lbs, for torquing the nuts on the header.  It said something like 13 inch lbs, which is basically finger tight.  The books are not perfect.           

Offline ZG

• I Need a Life
  • COG#: 9735
« Reply #14 on: September 03, 2013, 03:06:53 pm »
BAD A$$ isn't cheap, and cheap isn't BAD A$$...

Offline MAN OF BLUES

• I Need a Life
« Reply #15 on: September 03, 2013, 03:25:34 pm »

In a nut shell;
Ceramic Coatings are polymer composites with insulating ceramics ...

while my post just prior to yours did say the same about internal and external application effects,
the true ceramic coatings we are speaking of are a combination of metal powders and ceramics.... any polymer that exists in the "powder" is completely consumed after the application of the heat process used to create the "glazed" surface, and little if any polymer is even present in these initial materials... at least I can't find anything supporting this. please enlighten me about the material you speak of.

exhaust coatings differ from the cermet coatings applied to piston skirts, which DO contain some slippery elements of a polymer though.

per the link ZG was nice enough to supply;

"Is Jet-Hot a Powder Coat?

No, Jet-Hot coatings are ceramic or ceramic-metallic coatings that are sprayed on the part in a liquid medium. Powder coatings are electrostatically applied powders that are then melted together under lower heat conditions. Powder coating will not survive the high temperatures that Jet-Hot ceramic coatings will."
« Last Edit: September 03, 2013, 03:36:30 pm by MAN OF BLUES »

Offline Gabriel

• Bicycle
« Reply #16 on: September 03, 2013, 03:38:21 pm »

In a nut shell;
Ceramic Coatings are polymer composites with insulating ceramics ...

while my post just prior to yours did say the same about internal and external application effects,
the true ceramic coatings we are speaking of are a combination of metal powders and ceramics.... any polymer that exists in the "powder" is completely consumed after the application of the heat process used to create the "glazed" surface, and little if any polymer is even present in these initial materials... at least I can't find anything supporting this. please enlighten me about the material you speak of.

exhaust coatings differ from the cermet coatings applied to piston skirts, which DO contain some slippery elements of a polymer though.

Follow the Jet hot link provided  a couple of post up.

1) Performance

Reduces under-hood temperatures
    Improves thermal efficiency of the engine system
    Maintains uniform temperature throughout the exhaust system
    Improves the performance of the heart of the vehicle
    Provides more useful horsepower by reducing the mass of the reciprocating components

2) Protection

Keeps the engine compartment cooler
    Extends the life of neighboring components
    Improves thermal oxidation protection at higher temperatures
    Reduces parasitic drag losses
    Reduces the friction properties where lubricants are intended to stay
    Improves cooling efficiency and aids oil drain-back, where lubricants are intended to shed oil
    Reduces surface profiles using friction reduction fluoropolymers
    Provides protection up to 2,500F (Jet-Hot Extreme 2500 series)

Offline MAN OF BLUES

• I Need a Life
« Reply #17 on: September 03, 2013, 04:02:46 pm »
we have been discussing this very type of response thing in another thread verbatum, where someone reads a few words and takes it to gospel. and then posts it up as such.
http://forum.cog-online.org/index.php/topic,45894.0.html

if you would have delved further in that website, you would find what I explained.
http://www.jet-hot.com/coatings/jet-hot-slick-coat/

that product is the one that contains polymers....
just because it's on a list of "advantages" on the first page, doesn't mean all the ceramic coatings have that; and actually the polymer thing is a specific product.
it is not what is used on the exhaust pipes.

Offline mattchewn

• I Need a Life
  • COG#: 10993
« Reply #18 on: September 03, 2013, 04:27:56 pm »
 :popcorncouple: :popcorncouple: :popcorncouple: :popcorncouple:
2018 H2 SXSE.  (FAT SXSE)
2011 GSX1250 FA
2009 Ninja 500R. (wifes')
2001 Bandit 650  (kids')

Offline Egodriver71

• Crotch Rocket
  • I'm in here somewhere
  • COG#: 8321
« Reply #19 on: September 03, 2013, 04:29:12 pm »
This is a closed loop system and unless it's on the ragged edge of correct mixture it should be OK

I never looked at the bike but I remember seeing them in the Service manual;

Yep, there they are but your right, after looking at my 09 they are not there.
I just assumed they were there, :-[ sorry for the confusion. That makes this bike easier to manipulate.

EVERYONE else has O2 sensors except us.  I'm not really sure why though.
« Last Edit: September 03, 2013, 04:31:44 pm by Egodriver71 »
Thomas Mann
Jacksonville, FL

COG #8321

1930 Indian 101 Scout (the first bike)(still in the garage)
1986 Yamaha Radian (the first modern bike)(Sold)
1996 Kawasaki Vulcan 500LTD (the wife's first bike)
1996 Kawasaki Eliminator (Wife's)
1999 Kawasaki Concours (The Warbird)
2006 Kawasaki Vuclan 900 (Wife's)
2009 Kawasaki Concours 14 (Totaled)
2009 Kawasaki Concours 14 (Second Chance)

Offline Gabriel

• Bicycle
« Reply #20 on: September 03, 2013, 05:30:52 pm »
we have been discussing this very type of response thing in another thread verbatum, where someone reads a few words and takes it to gospel. and then posts it up as such.
http://forum.cog-online.org/index.php/topic,45894.0.html

if you would have delved further in that website, you would find what I explained.
http://www.jet-hot.com/coatings/jet-hot-slick-coat/

that product is the one that contains polymers....
just because it's on a list of "advantages" on the first page, doesn't mean all the ceramic coatings have that; and actually the polymer thing is a specific product.
it is not what is used on the exhaust pipes.

You can take it for what ever you like, I don't care! I'm not on the intermittent committee. You asked I pointed you along with others to a site where the manufacturer makes the above statements.
Jet Hot is one of the if not the original provider of this product.
Call them and tell them your not happy with their explanation and you would like a free education.

Offline MAN OF BLUES

• I Need a Life
« Reply #21 on: September 03, 2013, 06:36:57 pm »
I'm dOnE... nOw y tElL mE you POSTED THE LINK... :rotflmao: :rotflmao:

and clearly never read the one about the piston skirt coating.

ARGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGG

« Last Edit: September 03, 2013, 07:17:45 pm by MAN OF BLUES »

Offline Gabriel

• Bicycle
« Reply #22 on: September 03, 2013, 06:57:08 pm »
ZG posted the link!

Offline ZG

• I Need a Life
  • COG#: 9735
« Reply #23 on: September 04, 2013, 01:20:23 am »
BAD A$$ isn't cheap, and cheap isn't BAD A$$...

Offline MAN OF BLUES

• I Need a Life
« Reply #24 on: September 04, 2013, 02:21:44 am »
ZG posted the link!

;D :beerchug:
Yep, you did post it, and I went and looked.... and made my post, and thanked you in that post......went right over someones head tho,  so ZG do think ceramic coating on headers contains polymers? Or simply aluminum powder and a ceramic slurry suspended in a liquid that evaporates off during the bake process? Just asking..... :))