Author Topic: Who rides their C14 like a superbike?  (Read 17435 times)

Offline TGE

• Mini Bike
  • AREA: South Central Area
  • COG#: Forum
  • Membership Level: Forum Subscriber
Re: Who rides their C14 like a superbike?
« Reply #75 on: September 23, 2013, 07:15:47 am »
It really depends much more on the rider than it does the bike. A solid and experienced track rider on a sport touring bike (C-14 or otherwise) is going to be able to make it very difficult for the average street rider on the latest and greatest superbike to keep up. Of course, in the case of two equally-skilled riders, the rider on the superbike is going to have an obvious advantage, but I doubt that anyone would debate that point.

That said, I've understood this thread to be about riding the C-14 like a superbike, i.e. riding her hard and fast, hanging off the bike in turns, perhaps even dragging knee, etc. This is certainly possible, and while it may be a riding style that is not universally preferred, the point is that the C-14 is very much capable of handling that type of riding if the rider can deliver the necessary skill set.
CMRA #660 -- Team Full Tilt Racing #63

2010 Triumph Street Triple 675 | 2008 Kawasaki Concours 14 ABS | 2007 Yamaha YZF-R6 (track only) | 2005 Suzuki DR650 SE | 2003 Honda CRF 450R | 2004 Yamaha TT-R 125LE

Offline rob

• Road Bike
  • AREA: Southeast Area
« Reply #76 on: September 23, 2013, 08:16:49 am »
Speaking of hanging off the bike in turns, this question is for anyone with a corbin seat.  I just got mine on the bike, and when I went to hang off slightly in my first curve, I noticed something hard in my way (of my hip) that wasn't there with the stock seat.  It makes leaning off almost impossible, or at least strange, and I'm wondering if I get use to it, or the days of easily hanging off are over with the corbin on?  I'm about to take my first long trip with the corbin, and if it's the most comfortable thing ever, it may be worth it to lose a little sporty handling....

Offline Gypsy JR

• American Gypsy
  • I Need a Life
  • Living the Gypsy Life
  • COG#: 9279
  • Membership Level: Active
« Reply #77 on: September 23, 2013, 09:02:34 am »
It really depends much more on the rider than it does the bike. A solid and experienced track rider on a sport touring bike (C-14 or otherwise) is going to be able to make it very difficult for the average street rider on the latest and greatest superbike to keep up. Of course, in the case of two equally-skilled riders, the rider on the superbike is going to have an obvious advantage, but I doubt that anyone would debate that point.

Yes, but it is pointless to compare two kinds of motorcycles as far as performance capability without using the exact same rider. Otherwise there are too many variables.

But I promise you if you take a decent ZX10R pilot and a very good C14 rider and put them in the mountains of West Virginia, the ZX10R will be parked at the BBQ shack end point long enough before the C14 for the engine to cool off.

On the other hand, only the most hardened youngster could take a ZX10R and do a trip like many of us have done, Chris F. for example.

I know some with real sportbikes who have done long trips but they are few and far between, compared to sport touring bikes like the C14. Totally different intents, and purposes. The ZX10R exists so it can be raced in WSB. The C14 exists so we can sport tour.

But by all means, tune your suspension on your C14 and drag peg, it is tremendous fun and she will let you do it. I beveled my pegs riding with the "fast kids" at the 2012 National in Arkansas one day, and it was extremely fast riding. But not superbike fast.  :motonoises: :beerchug:
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
2017 Forest River Flagstaff Super-V 27VRL travel trailer
Where are you? [insert random forest name]

Offline rob

• Road Bike
« Reply #78 on: September 23, 2013, 01:27:25 pm »
Yea, my zx10 did 92 in first gear.....my c14, only 65.....