Author Topic: Right grip warmer does not work  (Read 1752 times)

Offline woodie

• Mini Bike
  • AREA: Northwest Area
  • COG#: 10389
  • Membership Level: Active
Right grip warmer does not work
« on: September 21, 2013, 02:15:10 am »
My 2011 C-14 right grip warmer does not warm up. Left one is fine. I have power at the electrical connector under the right inner cover. Is this a common repair/replacement item? Has anybody else heard of or had this problem?

Offline ZG

• I Need a Life
  • COG#: 9735
Re: Right grip warmer does not work
« Reply #1 on: September 21, 2013, 03:35:59 am »
warranty...

BAD A$$ isn't cheap, and cheap isn't BAD A$$...

Offline woodie

• Mini Bike
« Reply #2 on: September 21, 2013, 08:41:23 am »
Never thought of that since we no longer have a dealer in Roseburg any longer....

Offline Cap'n Bob

• GOLD STAR
  • AREA: Northeast Area
  • COG#: 7134
« Reply #3 on: September 21, 2013, 08:50:02 am »
Yeah  unfortunately finding another dealer is probably the only way to get it repaired and not pay for it yourself. Again, unfortunately this is what happens when folks do not support the dealers. The couple of bucks they save on line can have repercussions down the line.

Offline woodie

• Mini Bike
« Reply #4 on: September 21, 2013, 12:26:19 pm »
I understand what you are saying, Bob, and agree with you. It's kind of the chicken and egg thing. And I don't want to get into that. I just wondered if someone has had a similar grip warmer problem and what was the cure?

Offline Cap'n Bob

• GOLD STAR
« Reply #5 on: September 21, 2013, 02:17:22 pm »
   I do not recall reading about a lot of heater problems. But that doesn't mean that there have not been problems. I was going to suggest checking for power at the plug. But I looked back and you have already done that. But just to double check. I took a quick look at the 2010 wiring schematic. The grip heaters are wired in series. Which means (for folks who may not understand) power must conduct through the complete circuit or in this case, both grip heaters for the circuit to conduct electricity and function.
    Basically that means that if one heater works and the other doesn't. More than likely your grip heater is bad. If it was a lack of power or a bad variable resistor, neither heater should work. Or at the very least, the working heater should not be very warm while the other is not warming. So if you do not want to deal with warranty and/or finding a dealer. Your best option would be to just order a new grip and replace it. I know it sucks, but there are not a whole lot of options here.

Offline woodie

• Mini Bike
« Reply #6 on: September 21, 2013, 04:43:45 pm »
Thank you very much, Bob. I respect your input.
Are you planning on going to the national next year?

Offline Mad River Marc

• Sport Tourer
  • COG#: 8442
« Reply #7 on: September 21, 2013, 06:28:18 pm »
I am having a similar issue,  I noticed that my grip itself is sort of rotated so that the wires make contact with the dust shield thingy every time I close the throttle, it eventually wore though the wire before I could get some compressed air and rotate the grip

But that brings up another point,  I am actually in the process of replacing my grip heaters with Symtec heaters since I cannot stand the stock grips,  I am planning to wire the symtecs into my stock thermostat and then use a set of murphs grips over them,   

Just sayin :)
You only need two tools in life – WD-40 and duct tape. If it doesn’t move and should, use the WD-40. If it shouldn’t move and does, use the duct tape.

Offline Cap'n Bob

• GOLD STAR
« Reply #8 on: September 21, 2013, 07:43:01 pm »
Thank you very much, Bob. I respect your input.
Are you planning on going to the national next year?

That's the plan.  :great:

Offline woodie

• Mini Bike
« Reply #9 on: September 23, 2013, 02:10:59 pm »
Mad River, I don't have a lot of experience on this bike so can you tell me what it is you don't like about the stock grip warmers and what Symtec heaters will do better. For me, just having anything is great since this is the first ones I have ever had. Thanks

Offline mattchewn

• I Need a Life
  • COG#: 10993
« Reply #10 on: September 23, 2013, 02:15:18 pm »
Mad River, I don't have a lot of experience on this bike so can you tell me what it is you don't like about the stock grip warmers and what Symtec heaters will do better. For me, just having anything is great since this is the first ones I have ever had. Thanks

Yeah Mark,
I want to know too! Maybe I am missing some important farkle no one told me about?
Matt
2018 H2 SXSE.  (FAT SXSE)
2011 GSX1250 FA
2009 Ninja 500R. (wifes')
2001 Bandit 650  (kids')

Offline Cap'n Bob

• GOLD STAR
« Reply #11 on: September 23, 2013, 02:21:40 pm »

Marc and I have discussed this a few times now. Without stepping on his toes here. I think his answer would be that it's not the grip heaters Marc doesn't like. It's the grips themselves. He wants more comfortable grips. IIRC. he also doesn't want to use anything that will make them thicker. The problem is that the grip heaters are built in the C14's grips. So to replace them with another grip, Marc needs to use alternate grip heaters.

Offline Mad River Marc

• Sport Tourer
  • COG#: 8442
« Reply #12 on: September 23, 2013, 05:48:11 pm »
   Marc and I have discussed this a few times now. Without stepping on his toes here. I think his answer would be that it's not the grip heaters Marc doesn't like. It's the grips themselves. He wants more comfortable grips. IIRC. he also doesn't want to use anything that will make them thicker. The problem is that the grip heaters are built in the C14's grips. So to replace them with another grip, Marc needs to use alternate grip heaters.

Cap'n Bob is correct,

It's not the grip heaters I hate it's the grips themselves,    Over a long day they start to hurt my hands,  I have had a set of gel grips before (like the Murphs grips that everyone including myself seems to love) and they really do a lot to alleviate the issue

I have tried other solutions such as grip puppies (Not comfortable for me) and Beemer buddies (Not a fan, mine fell apart badly quite fast) and I just want to have a perm solution, so I will replace the OEM grips with a set of symtecs so I can retain grip heat, and then add a set of good gel grips over that :)
You only need two tools in life – WD-40 and duct tape. If it doesn’t move and should, use the WD-40. If it shouldn’t move and does, use the duct tape.