Author Topic: 1-2 upshift...2016  (Read 2698 times)

Offline Steve in Sunny Fla

• Industry Member
  • I Need a Life
  • AREA: Southeast Area
  • COG#: 6977
  • Membership Level: Active
1-2 upshift...2016
« on: May 16, 2016, 04:32:47 pm »
  I just flashed a 2016 with 475 miles on it. The owner didn't like the abrupt low speed low rpm shifting, which is common in the 10-up. After the flash, light throttle 1-2 upshifts low throttle / low rpm can still abrupt unless you're easy on the clutch. It has nothing to do with the flash / tuning, you can feel it's in the clutch engagement. As you let out the clutch and it starts to engage, it's fine. Get a little quick letting off after that, and it's a sudden engagement and I actually feel the bike rock fore / aft on the suspension. I adjusted the clutch lever and took the slop out of the throttle cables, which helped, and now with a slower clutch engagement it's smooth as silk BUT if you get a bit ham fisted it can still be abrupt. The faster you're going the less noticeable it is. -- the stuff I'm talking about would be like a light throttle 3500-4000rpm in first gear upshift.  since I've never really felt this before, I have to wonder if this is because of the lower 1st gear, and the resultant larger spread when doing the 1-2 upshift.

Has anyone here felt this?

TIA, Steve
C-14 ECU flashing for performance and rideability enhancement
C-10 Carb work , cams, & performance enhancements
 " Modifications for sport-tourers, BY a sport-tourer"
https://sites.google.com/site/shoodabenengineering/home

Offline LakeTrax

• Crotch Rocket
  • AREA: North Central Area
  • COG#: Forum
  • Membership Level: Forum Subscriber
Re: 1-2 upshift...2016
« Reply #1 on: May 16, 2016, 04:54:02 pm »
Sorry I can't give any helpful input here Steve...
Except for that since I've had your flash, I'm always trying to get the front tire back on the pavement before the rev-limiter kicks in. Then I shift to second- :)

Offline Graphicjunkie

• Never ride faster than your guardian angel!
  • Road Bike
  • If guns kill people, my pencil misspells words.
  • AREA: Southwest Area
« Reply #2 on: May 16, 2016, 05:16:37 pm »
I have always had a hard time with the 1-2 transition at lower RPM's with both my '08 in stock as well as PCV format.  And now also in my '09 stock and also with your flash.  I have just come to the conclusion that it is just a characteristic of this bike.  Once I hit 5K in 1st, the 1-2 transition is smooth. 

Go figure.  Quarks of the Connie.  lol.  She's fickle.
2009 Black ABS - Night Fury (Shoodaben*ZX14 Header*Dual Two Bros*Vstream*heated grips*fender extender*lowered foot pegs*radiator protector*LEDs*wedges*TechSpec*Corbin/Smuggler*switchbacks*Stebel)
2008 Neutron Silver  - Silver Streak (GONE)
Colorado

Offline zacharykro6

• Bicycle
« Reply #3 on: May 16, 2016, 07:29:45 pm »
I have also experienced this on my 2015 and agree that it is much less abrupt above 4000 rpm. Sometimes I like to carry first a little higher and skip second gear on the way up, this is less jerky for my passenger and I like the sound of the engine starting to work around 6000 rpm. But take this with a grain of salt because my bike is not yet broken in, and I am still new to the bike and learning how she likes to be treated. It sounds like your customer is in the same boat as me  :)

Offline Bigfoot_16

• Crotch Rocket
  • I prefer bikes with more horsepower than noise.
  • AREA: South Central Area
« Reply #4 on: May 16, 2016, 07:43:47 pm »
Steve, when I had the stock can on my bike, this was hardly noticeable at all. With the V&H CS One, it's very noticeable. I find that since putting the CS One on my bike, I have to be very deliberate with clutch and throttle to keep things smooth.
Jim

2015 Concours 14

Four wheels move the body. Two wheels move the soul. Steve's ECU flash stirs the soul!

Offline Bob

• Bob
  • Mini Bike
  • COG#: 1398
« Reply #5 on: May 16, 2016, 11:04:10 pm »
Steve;
Try placing the bike on the centerstand, engine off and in 1st gear. Turn the back tire and check for excessive driveline play.
Excessive play can cause weird 1/2 shifting at lower rpm.

Bob Skinner

Offline Not So Wild Turkey

• Road Bike
  • COG#: 10559
« Reply #6 on: May 17, 2016, 12:48:06 pm »
Clutch?   What is this thing you speak of?
2012 Concours Arabian Red & 80 Suzuki GS1100E
2003 VTX1800R Black / 1979 Suzuki GS1000E / 1969 Norton Commando
Yamaha DT3 250 / Kawasaki 100 G4TR

• Industry Member
  • I Need a Life
Re: 1-2 upshift... is yours bad?
« Reply #7 on: May 17, 2016, 01:00:08 pm »
I'm changing the name of the thread to garner a little more input.

In the case of the 2016, it's not a tuning issue. in stock form,  my bike and those like it has a  feeling like if you're not opening the throttle, then you're closing it... I got that out with tuning, so steady low throttle opening is smooth. This is different... it reminds me of times I've driven a granny low gear truck, and when you shift into second the whole vehicle rocks back and forth until it settles down. I don't like it at all.

I've spoken with the owner about it, and we're setting up some experiments to try to really pin down what's happening. It may also be that the bike is very new and has alot of various frictions in it, but I need to determine if that's it or not, not just "guess". I may try to knock down (limit) some super low power in 1-2 and see if I can control this by nannying the tuning, but tuning isn't the original issue. Steve

Offline Rock

• Road Bike
  • Ride it if you got it!
  • COG#: 5879
  • Membership Level: Asst. Area Director
« Reply #8 on: May 18, 2016, 08:50:35 pm »
My 2013 is picky from 1st to 2nd unless I go to around 4K in first and then shift. It's smoooooth, plus I love the sound of my add-on Delkevic  exhaust. It really sounds good!  :beerchug:

Higher the rpms in shifting, the smoother transition to gears.

Phil
COG5879
2013 C14 "SR71"

• Industry Member
  • I Need a Life
« Reply #9 on: May 19, 2016, 10:31:15 am »
well it seems like this thread was premature. based on feedback from the owner, a fuel fill up has fixed all the ills. Interesting, and it makes me wonder if he has some type of mechanical fuel delivery issue, or a fuel cap that's not venting and causing a vacuum to develop in the tank. I'll help him sort it out, but it's a warranty issue, I'm thinking. Steve

Offline Bigfoot_16

• Crotch Rocket
« Reply #10 on: May 19, 2016, 12:56:42 pm »
Steve, is his bike a California-spec bike? If it is, when he fills his tank, does he fill it above the bottom of the filler neck? That's what caused some erratic, rough running with my '15 California-spec bike. Now, I avoid doing that when I fill up and it's back to the nice smoothness I've enjoyed before.
Jim

2015 Concours 14

Four wheels move the body. Two wheels move the soul. Steve's ECU flash stirs the soul!

• Industry Member
  • I Need a Life
Re: 1-2 upshift...2016 - RESOLVED
« Reply #11 on: May 27, 2016, 12:47:12 pm »
 OK, here's the follow up.

After getting really good and warm, the bike would get some really weird characteristics... shifts were abrupt, and in light cruise the bike had a lean surge. After close to 200 flashes and zero reports of anything less than positive, I felt it was not a fuel issue so the only other possibility is a spark issue. To that end, I felt the bike had a poor ground and the resistance was high, overheating the coils.

Upon removing the battery, VOILA the ground wire was loose on the battery lug. Tightened it down, And after some significant riding the owner reports that the bike runs better than it ever has.

OK -lesson learned - if your bike is acting weird START with checking all the ground connections!

Steve

Offline Bigfoot_16

• Crotch Rocket
« Reply #12 on: May 27, 2016, 01:53:32 pm »
Thanks for the follow-up, Steve. Good to know.
Jim

2015 Concours 14

Offline Sprocket

• Big Wheels
« Reply #13 on: May 31, 2016, 06:50:12 pm »
One of the first things we do in the auto repair business is clean and tighten the battery cables and all the grounds, always check all powers and grounds first! Sometimes the "kiss=keep it simple stupid"  :-[is all it takes.