Author Topic: 1 or 2 feet down? Question for my height challenged friends  (Read 2580 times)

Offline Skiee

• Road Bike
  • AREA: Southwest Area
  • COG#: 11459
  • Membership Level: Active
1 or 2 feet down? Question for my height challenged friends
« on: September 04, 2014, 08:11:05 pm »
Sitting at a light this morning, I began to think about this.

I'm a small guy. 5'8" and 130ish. I have a decent inseam though, 32 inches. But even with this inseam I struggle to keep my feet flat on the road.The combination of height and width of the Connie, I guess. Usually I have both feet touch but not flat by any means. THIS IS A HEAVY BIKE!! I don't trust myself keeping one foot on the ground. I think one of my drops was because I tried the one-foot down idea. I'm much more comfy just to have both down. I'm not a newbie. Been riding for over 30 years but by far this is the heaviest bike that I've ever owned!! I LOVE Francis but she does scare the s#!t out of me at a stand still!! 

Do any of you do the one-foot down at a light/sign? Are there any "secrets" I should know that will help with the fear of dropping my baby if my lean gets too much?? All replies are appreciated!!!

Norm
2009 Concours 14 (Francis)
AMA# 3044870
CDA# 510

Offline Gypsy JR

• American Gypsy
  • I Need a Life
  • Living the Gypsy Life
  • AREA: Southeast Area
  • COG#: 9279
Re: 1 or 2 feet down? Question for my height challenged friends
« Reply #1 on: September 04, 2014, 08:35:46 pm »
I have a short inseam (relatively speaking) so the C14 was difficult for me. I found I couldn't begin to handle it coming to a stop on bumpy or unlevel surfaces without wearing boots with thick soles, and even that was unsatisfactory.

And yes, she is very heavy, and a lot of it is in the top half.

So I lowered mine, and that went a long way to solving the problem. Of course, it means I can't lean as far as I'd like to sometimes, but I'm getting more conservative in my old age anyway. So I don't often miss it.

She is certainly not my ZX14, and light years worse handling than my ZX-10R was, but neither of these two bikes could go to Arkansas or Colorado or California in anywhere near as much style and comfort.

And even then comfort is not the end all be all for me, or I'd be riding the CVO Ultra Glide I test rode before I got the Connie.

So yes, I put 2 feet down, but I had to give up some lean angle to do it, because I refused to not be able to two foot it. Taller folks are lucky in this respect.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
2017 Forest River Flagstaff Super-V 27VRL travel trailer
Where are you? [insert random forest name]

Offline TimR

• Global Moderator
  • Iron Butt
  • AREA: Northwest Area
  • COG#: 9032
« Reply #2 on: September 04, 2014, 08:59:04 pm »
I have a 32 inseam and can flat foot both feet. It must be the difference in weight because I weigh a bit more as in old fat guy.   :)
Tim
Blue 1975 Z1B 900, Red 09 C14     I might not be perfect but at least I don't ride a Suzuki

Offline TJ

• Street Cruiser
  • AREA: Northeast Area
  • COG#: forum
  • Membership Level: Forum Subscriber
« Reply #3 on: September 04, 2014, 09:40:45 pm »
Left foot down, in 1st gear ready to keep from getting run over from behind, right foot tapping brake on occasion. 

Offline BlueZX10R

• Scooter
  • COG#: 11715
« Reply #4 on: September 04, 2014, 09:41:03 pm »
I'm a 30 inch inseam, but I never put both feet down when I stop.  I always have one foot on the brake, and the other is down.  I can touch both feet, but I'm up far enough on the ball of my foot that it just doesn't feel stable.  I'd rather be stable on one foot than shakey on two.  I think of it this way, the most stable shape is a triangle, which with two wheels, is what you get when you add one foot.
-James
2013 Concours 14, 2007 ZX10R, 1981 CB750, 1977 TS250B

Offline mtnbandit

• Moped
  • 2011 C-14 Black
  • COG#: 9917
« Reply #5 on: September 05, 2014, 12:17:32 am »
  I lowered my 2011 with the Muzzy's Lowering Links (easy install) and was able to flat foot the bike. Then I got a Russell Day Long Seat and I could ride all day but couldn't flat foot the bike. I got a pair of Chippewa thick soled,lace up, boots from Boot Barn and problem solved once again.
 Hope this helps as there are plenty of red lights in H.B., my old home town.
 Brent
mtnbandit

Offline Lynn

• Tricycle
« Reply #6 on: September 05, 2014, 03:11:39 am »
Left foot down, in 1st gear ready to keep from getting run over from behind, right foot tapping brake on occasion.

5'6" here with a normal inseam for a woman of my height and I do the same thing.  Left foot down, usually on the ball (I can't even flatfoot one side unless the road is high on the left side), right foot on the peg, tapping the brake.   I do have boots with relatively thick soles to help me out a tad.

I do have to be careful about how and where I stop and park.  And, if the road has a hole on the left, I may have the right foot down instead.  It is something I have gotten used to (I couldn't flat-foot the BMW either).

Occasionally when I am on the road and get stuck away from home for a weekend, I rent a bike.  I find that it feels really odd when I get on a bike (HD are usually the easiest bikes to find as rentals) and can lay my feet down flat.  Nice, but odd. 
Lynn

“I am a firm believer in the people. If given the truth, they can be depended upon to meet any national crisis. The great point is to bring them the real facts, and beer.” ― Abraham Lincoln

Offline TLR

• Street Cruiser
  • COG#: 11171
« Reply #7 on: September 05, 2014, 04:19:05 am »
+2 on what Lynn and TJ wrote.

5'8" here, 32" inseam.  Muzzy lowering links will help a LOT.  Dropped bike twice before I got the Muzzy's.

Cowboy boots with heels will help too.

Don't park the bike downhill.  You'll never back it up trying to go up hill.  You'll feel all 700 lbs.

At an intersection, or whenever going real slow, ~.5 mph, don't use the front brake, ESPECIALLY in an urgent situation.  Especially with front wheel turned or when turning, or bike will probably go down and good luck saving it.   You can turn tight going slow all day long using the rear brake, but use the front and the bike is likely to go down.
1982 Suzuki SP250Z
1994 Suzuki VS800GL Intruder
2009 Kawasaki Concours 1400 (the fast red color)

Offline Stretch72

• Mini Bike
  • COG#: Forum
« Reply #8 on: September 05, 2014, 12:27:47 pm »
6'2" with a 35" inseam - both feet flat with knees slightly bent.  :nananana: Of course my head gets bounced around by the dirty air above the stock windscreen.  #TallPeopleProblems  >:(
Please read all of my posts through the lens of humor.
The above post is a personal opinion and in no way reflects the official position of the Concours Owners Group.

2012 - C14 ABS, Black

Offline jonathan

• Road Bike
« Reply #9 on: September 05, 2014, 12:59:58 pm »
32" inseam. Left foot down and right foot on brake.
Calgary, Alberta

Offline Classvino

• Lifelong Kawi Rider
  • Road Bike
  • Smells wrong... Oh, it's a 4-stroke...
  • COG#: 11233
« Reply #10 on: September 05, 2014, 01:06:20 pm »
6'0" tall, but 29" inseam...  (yeah, yeah - shirts are never long enough)

Muzzy's lowering kit was the biggest confidence booster I've ever had on a motorcycle...   Now I'm 95% flat footed if I use both feet and comfortable with one as well...

I use both methods - never really thought about why one over the other... I think if it looks like it'll be a short stop, I just use one, but use both for anything longer...

Jamie

Offline Jerry

• Mini Bike
  • COG#: 11147
« Reply #11 on: September 05, 2014, 01:46:22 pm »
Depends on the road surface, wet,uneven, gravel, uphill, downhill etc, sometime's i do one, sometime's two. I can't see there is a set way to stop with one or two feet and also how experienced are you is in the program. Be as safe and comfortable as you can, that is what really matter's. 
On hand, 1966 triumph tiger,1969 triumph trophy,1975 yamaha dt 400, 1977 yamaha IT 175, 1979 suzuki TS 100, 2009 C-14, 2010  H.D. XR1200

Offline JimBob

• Sport Tourer
  • Woman...WHOAAAA MAN!
  • COG#: forum
« Reply #12 on: September 05, 2014, 03:26:35 pm »
Cowboy boots with heels will help too.

THIS^^

Motorcycle boots with a heel and a good, slip-resistant sole help tremendously. With a 30-31" inseam, riding 2-up can be a little challenging on our C10...surely the 14 is just as challenging.

These River Road boots have really helpd - the heel adds a little height, and the soles seem to be really slip resistant, even on oily spots (though I try to pick better footing as much as possible). They can be found for about $100 if you look around. They make a couple other versions of bike boots, though the higher leg coverage really helps keep the C10 from making fried chicken of my shins, and my feet have been bone dry riding in the rain.

http://www.jpcycles.com/product/120-0252

« Last Edit: September 05, 2014, 03:31:39 pm by JimBob »

Offline MikeJ

• Mini Bike
  • COG#: 11581
« Reply #13 on: September 05, 2014, 07:18:54 pm »
I'm a 30 inch inseam, but I never put both feet down when I stop.  I always have one foot on the brake, and the other is down.  I can touch both feet, but I'm up far enough on the ball of my foot that it just doesn't feel stable.  I'd rather be stable on one foot than shakey on two.  I think of it this way, the most stable shape is a triangle, which with two wheels, is what you get when you add one foot.
Same here - 30" inseam allows me to put balls of both feet down, but not flat foot, my weight of 220lbs no doubt helps in this respect.  On 'normal' roads I'm perfectly comfortable with left foot down and right foot on brake. My biggest fear is slow maneuvering on gravel which I had to do recently, and it was simply a case of taking things real easy and slowly (yes, I definetly looked like a novice, but thats prefereable to dropping the bike) .

Next year I'm gonna go for a lower seat. After following threads on this particular topic there seems to be a bunch of options for this.
2014 Candy Cardinal Red

Offline Skiee

• Road Bike
« Reply #14 on: September 05, 2014, 07:26:24 pm »
Before I go the lower link direction, gonna try with a ZX14 seat.
They are about .75" shorter than the Connie seat. If that doesn't work the lower link will be the best option.
AMA# 3044870
CDA# 510

Offline jaycw521

• Tricycle
  • COG#: 11327
« Reply #15 on: September 05, 2014, 07:34:48 pm »
They are about .75" shorter than the Connie seat. If that doesn't work the lower link will be the best option.

Is the ZX14 seat a straight swap?
Iron Butt Association #21725

Offline Trev

• Tricycle
« Reply #16 on: September 05, 2014, 10:15:39 pm »
(First time posting / replying, but this hit home too...)
Similar measurements, 5'8", 32" inseam... I usually put the toes of both feet down for a kind of tri-pod effect.  I also started with a shorter aftermarket seat, and then went with the Kawasaki aftermarket lower seat.  I also had some riding boots and actually took them to a boot repair place (cobbler?) and had them add some sole and heel for some added height.  With all that, it seems tolerable. :great:

Offline 4Bikes

• Iron Butt
  • COG#: 9715
  • Membership Level: Asst. Area Director
« Reply #17 on: September 05, 2014, 10:44:57 pm »
6'2" with a 35" inseam - both feet flat with knees slightly bent.  :nananana: Of course my head gets bounced around by the dirty air above the stock windscreen.  #TallPeopleProblems  >:(

I'm with Stretch on this one. But I totally appreciate what the OP is saying.
Silver 2011 C-14 and 2019 Versys 1000 SE LT+.  Previous rides: KZ-400, KZ-750, KZ-1000.  Keep the rubber side down.  Ride Fast......Live Slow......

Offline Skiee

• Road Bike
« Reply #18 on: September 06, 2014, 01:05:32 am »

Is the ZX14 seat a straight swap?
Yes sir!
http://forum.cog-online.org/index.php/topic,53742.0.html
AMA# 3044870
CDA# 510

Offline smooth_operator

• government isn't the solution to our problems. government is the problem!
  • Crotch Rocket
  • AREA: North Central Area
  • COG#: 10773
« Reply #19 on: September 06, 2014, 10:32:50 am »
on my 30" inseam stubbies I do the double tip toe dance. I'm very carefull under 10mph as my old back doesn't enjoy pick up 700 lb. don't ask me how I know.
75 MT 125 Esinore   73 CB 360T  82 Virago 920  08 Metropolitan II "step through"  2012 C14  Candy Arabian Red

I believe that banking institutions are more dangerous to our liberties that standing armies.
--Thomas Jefferson
 CDA 553                               END THE FED!!

Offline ConcoursKZ

• Sport Tourer
  • AREA: North Central Area
2008 Concours ABS 1976 KZ 900 B1   CDA#387
“Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety.”