Author Topic: 100th Anniversay Motorcyclist Magazine just arrived.  (Read 6695 times)

Offline Nick

• Bicycle
    • Super X Owners
  • AREA: Southwest Area
  • COG#: 8891
  • Membership Level: Active
100th Anniversay Motorcyclist Magazine just arrived.
« on: July 20, 2012, 11:52:47 pm »
The C-14 was named MOTY runner up again. I kinda lost count, but I think this is 13 times the bike has been chosen Motorcycle of the Year or Runner Up by motorcycle magazines. Incredible.
Iron Butt Assn - Saddle Sore 1000, Bun Burner Gold (1500 miles/22 hrs) and 50CC (Coast to Coast-2481 miles/46 hrs)

Offline ZG

• I Need a Life
  • AREA: Northwest Area
  • COG#: 9735
Re: 100th Anniversay Motorcyclist Magazine just arrived.
« Reply #1 on: July 21, 2012, 02:17:53 am »
Mine came in the mail yesterday but I haven't had a chance to check it out yet, looking forward to it though!  :)
BAD A$$ isn't cheap, and cheap isn't BAD A$$...

Offline Cap'n Bob

• GOLD STAR
  • AREA: Northeast Area
  • COG#: 7134
« Reply #2 on: July 21, 2012, 09:12:39 am »
   Runner up means it didn't win. And your celebrating this why?  :rotflmao:

I'm sorry, but I just can never understand why folks put such an emphasis on other people's thoughts on the bike. It's only your thoughts that truly count. I find a lot of the time that what my impressions of a bike and the mag folks impressions are, can be night and day. Some times I agree, other times I don't.
    Although it is an distinction to be noted numerous times by the rags. But you also have to figure that the C14 is pretty much the only heavyweight player in the sport tour field to have been redesigned or updated since the C14 came out 5 years ago. So I would be more surprised if it didn't win a bunch of honors.

Yes the Sprint GT and the new BMW can be mentioned.  But they are really not in the same class with the C14. So I don't give much credibility to anything comparing them to the C14. Or when the The C14 lost to the Multistrada. But hey if it makes you happy that the C14 has been called MOTY, or lost this year to another motorcycle, have at it. Personally I would be more pleased with my own impressions on your bike. Because it's your experience with your C14 that counts. Not somebody that writes for a magazine.  ;)

Offline RideBellChain

• I ride because I can...
  • Street Cruiser
  • Nothing like a good sweeper on an empty road...
    • RideBellChain.com Send a bell, receive a free bell!
  • AREA: Southeast Area
  • COG#: 10039
  • Membership Level: Expired - Expired Term
« Reply #3 on: July 21, 2012, 01:39:23 pm »
IMHO, second place, repeatedly year after year, is not something to blow off.  It shows a consistently good product over time.  It also says "Not #1" but usually it's because it's being compared to something that costs a LOT more, ie. the BMW this time around.

It's hard to compare cars/bikes from a certain category as apples to apples, unless you add a second price category.  If they did that, the "under $17,000 Sport-touring Champion" would be the Concours year after year.
Ride Safe!
Mark
http://www.RideBellChain.com

Road Captain SCRC 456 - West Palm Beach, FL
ROK ROK100028857

Offline EnsoniqDude

• Road Bike
  • Running Down a Dream
  • COG#: Forum
  • Membership Level: Forum Subscriber
« Reply #4 on: July 21, 2012, 06:50:23 pm »
Wonder if the BMW and Sprint panniers pop off?
2010 C14 - "Neptune Blue" - All praise be unto the blessed color!
2007 Ural Tourist
1997 ZX-11
1984 Nighthawk S
1976 CB750
1965 Dream

"Chicks dig me because I rarely wear underwear and when I do, its usually something strange and unusual."

Offline Cap'n Bob

• GOLD STAR
« Reply #5 on: July 22, 2012, 12:07:08 am »
IMHO, second place, repeatedly year after year, is not something to blow off.  It shows a consistently good product over time.  It also says "Not #1" but usually it's because it's being compared to something that costs a LOT more, ie. the BMW this time around.

It's hard to compare cars/bikes from a certain category as apples to apples, unless you add a second price category.  If they did that, the "under $17,000 Sport-touring Champion" would be the Concours year after year.

Honestly, I don't take anything away from them. But the truth be told, I would be more surprised if they or the BMW doesn't win and come in second. They both are new designed bikes. OK, the C14 is a update as of 2010 with continued updates. But both bikes are basically new/newer designs. The competition bikes are older designs and are overdue for redesigns. So basically there are really only two bikes that they are judging for the honors. So it's kind of hard not to come in second. I bet you wouldn't be that impressed if the ten year old designed bike took honors over the much newer designed bike. ;)

Offline Cap'n Bob

• GOLD STAR
« Reply #6 on: July 22, 2012, 12:07:27 am »
Wonder if the BMW and Sprint panniers pop off?

:rotflmao:

Offline Bobby

• Mini Bike
  • AREA: South Central Area
  • COG#: forum
« Reply #7 on: July 22, 2012, 12:36:47 am »

I'm sorry, but I just can never understand why folks put such an emphasis on other people's thoughts on the bike.

It's neat to have something I own be recognized as a good design.  I don't care if it's a magazine, person, or forum.  It's flattering in a way.  I didn't design the bike, but I did put my judgement and intuition to use in order to make a decision regarding the purchase.  It turns out, I have good taste when it comes to bikes, again, flattering in a weird way  ;).  There, do you understand now?   :great:
My worst fear is, when I die, that my wife will sell all of my motorcycles for what I told her I paid for them.

Offline ZG

• I Need a Life
  • AREA: Northwest Area
  • COG#: 9735
« Reply #8 on: July 22, 2012, 01:20:10 am »
$10k for the bike and $10k in mods and I'm happy...  ;)
BAD A$$ isn't cheap, and cheap isn't BAD A$$...

Offline Bugnut

• Scooter
  • The Dude abides.
  • COG#: 9946
  • Membership Level: Area Director
« Reply #9 on: July 22, 2012, 01:59:33 am »

I'm sorry, but I just can never understand why folks put such an emphasis on other people's thoughts on the bike.

It's neat to have something I own be recognized as a good design.  I don't care if it's a magazine, person, or forum.  It's flattering in a way.  I didn't design the bike, but I did put my judgement and intuition to use in order to make a decision regarding the purchase.  It turns out, I have good taste when it comes to bikes, again, flattering in a weird way  ;).  There, do you understand now?   :great:

Ditto. My bike rocks. BMW needed 2+years, 2 extra cylinders, and 10k more $ to beat this bike - barely. I'm - very - happy. Nice to see it validated, and recognized every once in a while. Now if I rode a Ural or HD and they recognized it for anything more than a relic, I'd be more than skeptical. And if you can't understand, go wizz on another post.  :sign0023: Perhaps we can have our hug-fest without you Cap?  :campfire:

Mike

Offline Cap'n Bob

• GOLD STAR
« Reply #10 on: July 22, 2012, 08:38:45 am »

No!  :rotflmao:

Only messing with you.  :)

Offline Cap'n Bob

• GOLD STAR
« Reply #11 on: July 22, 2012, 08:47:44 am »

Ditto. My bike rocks. BMW needed 2+years, 2 extra cylinders, and 10k more $ to beat this bike - barely. I'm - very - happy. Nice to see it validated, and recognized every once in a while. Now if I rode a Ural or HD and they recognized it for anything more than a relic, I'd be more than skeptical. And if you can't understand, go wizz on another post.  :sign0023: Perhaps we can have our hug-fest without you Cap?  :campfire:

Mike

Sorry Mike, not wizzing on a post. If it makes you feel better. You can say that the bike has one top honors for the last 25 years. But I could care less. The only thing important to me is this quote here: "My bike rocks". To me that mean you like your bike. It's your opinion and happiness that matters to me. Not what some stranger(s) that you never met thinks. So I'm not wizzing on a post that wasn't yours in the first place. But yours just confirms my belief in the silliness of these type of threads.  So go ahead and hug the other guys all you want.  :nananana:

Offline Bobby

• Mini Bike
« Reply #12 on: July 22, 2012, 08:51:49 am »
Nope, you wizzed on the post.  Denial is the first step... ???
My worst fear is, when I die, that my wife will sell all of my motorcycles for what I told her I paid for them.

Offline Cap'n Bob

• GOLD STAR
« Reply #13 on: July 22, 2012, 12:44:22 pm »

OK fine. I'll wizz on the post.

The C14 came out a few years ago and has already had one redesign. A very nice bike. But they put it up against older designed bikes. So fittingly, it wins bike challenges and sport tour of the year numerous times. Since it's inception the C14 has had this honor many times. But although I never take much stock in these ridiculous awards and titles, I will look at this.
   Since the C14's inception, none of the older sport tours have been refreshed or redesigned in anyway to speak of. (with the exception of two, and I'll get to that in a moment). So if the C14 didn't win these awards for the last few years it would look pretty bad on Kawasaki and the C14. If your newly designed bike doesn't win bike of the year against the competition that's designs are many years older, then the better be a good reason. So I would be stunned if the C14 didn't win a lot of awards.
   Now since the C14's inception. There have only been a couple of sport tours that have been redesigned or newly designed in the running. The BMW RT's, the FJR & the ST1300/1100 were designed years before the C14's brand new design (that took 25 years itself from the C10). The Sprint GT was only basically refreshing of the Sprint ST, that was designed in the 90's. So basically it's also an older design like the other sport tour competitors.
 Minor changes and improvements were made to the the Sprint GT. But it would never put it in the same class as the bigger sport tours. It's a smaller, lighter bike than the competition. The Sprint being a smaller displacement three cylinder engine, makes it not quite on par power wise with the competition. Also having chain drive also puts it at a disadvantage when comparing it to the larger sport tour bikes. Although the Sprint's list price is much less than the competitors also. So it's really not even in the same sport tour class with the other bunch. So again the C14 really is only competing against other older designs anyway.
  That itself makes it harder to believe when it lost out of honors to the adventure bike. (Ducati Multistrada) So all the folks who actually like to take stock in these dumb awards, have something to talk and in some cases gloat about. But hey, if you need reassurance in your purchase for some reason, there you have it.
   But now the only real newly designed sport tour (which in my opinion is more an in between of sport tour and full on tour) comes in. The new 1600 BMW is the newest design and again (like the C14, FJR) has the newest and biggest displacement engine available on a sport tour. The now newest player comes in an wins the awards for the last year or two. Again, I would be surprised if it didn't win the awards. The C14 is now a few years or so into it's design. No surprise what so ever when the newest designed bike wins the awards. Well at least not to me.  :D
   But now, folks are celebrating second place. Why?   ???   Second is only first loser (as the say). It was inevitable in this stupid bike honor system. It's rare when the newest bike doesn't win. About the only way this could have any credibility would be if it was like the liter class sport bikes. Where as the bikes are redesigned and updated constantly to compete against each other. And even then, it's subjective to different folks preferences and opinions. Rarely does everyone pick the same bike to win.
   So I find these threads absolutely ridiculous. Folks gloat about a pretty much stacked race for a ludicrous award. Then folks seem to feel a need like it means something.   :-[   But now that folks are happy to gloat about being first loser. But they justify it by saying things like BMW needed a bigger engine (more cylinders) at an additional cost to do it. But they don't mind that very scenario in the C14 beating out the older designed Sprint.   >:D
   So although I'm sure this post will not go over well with folks that feel they need reassurance in their bike purchase for some reason. No I've said it many times. These awards are a joke. They are meant to get folks to buy magazines. There opinions can and a lot of times vary for other folks who actually buy these style bikes. The folks that buy these bikes are all that really matter. If your happy with your bike, it's all that matters. If you need some journalists to reassure you about your bike. I have to wonder.
    All these motorcycles are good at most things. Some are better and worse, at some things than the other sport tour bikes. Not one sport tours is the best bike at anything. But they are all very good at doing everything. That's why they make them. Because folks like do it all well bikes.  And because folks preferences and needs are different. What works best for one person, doesn't work best for the next person. So bike mag comparisons and awards rarely have information that is true for everyone. They are only the opinions of what works for the journalists. And they normally have different preferences and opinions themselves.
   So when the horse race was a bunch of older race horses racing against the new stallion on the track. It's no surprise the the young stallion wins most of the awards. Hey if you feel the need to celebrate a pretty much fixed race. Well have at it. But you look pitiful when your now moving into the aging horse section when the newest stallion comes along. But now your all excited and celebrating being second (or first loser) to the younger stronger stallion. If your self esteem needs this to affirm your purchase. Then maybe you shouldn't have bought the bike in the first place. Because it sounds like your not comfortable in your purchase. That's why I like hearing folks just saying how they love their bike. But hate these the bike won an award type threads. Because these type threads are ridiculous.

And before anyone makes the comment about it. Yes I have always had this attitude about awards. And yes, I said this same thing when the C14 was brand new. And I have had this same attitude during my C14 time as well. These awards are a joke. But some of y'all think that they actually mean something.  :rotflmao:

Offline Bobby

• Mini Bike
« Reply #14 on: July 22, 2012, 06:19:10 pm »
Now you are talking about our self esteem?  You are a classic  :))
« Last Edit: July 22, 2012, 06:23:32 pm by Bobby »

Offline Cap'n Bob

• GOLD STAR
« Reply #15 on: July 22, 2012, 06:28:46 pm »
Now you are talking about our self esteem?  You are a classic  :)).

Hey that's the way I see it. Otherwise folks wouldn't be so excited about silly awards that mean nothing. Especially second place.  :))

But I liked the first version of this last post better, where you rested your case. It had some validity to it. ;)

Offline Bobby

• Mini Bike
« Reply #16 on: July 22, 2012, 06:45:40 pm »
Wow, thanks for liking my post!  Seriously though, why rank anything?  The truth, it's fun to read about, and like I said earlier, it's neat to read about knowledgeable people giving your machine some good strokes... By the way, can I expect you'll be able to acknowledge (and re-post) all my future edits in my posts?  As a moderator, I'm sure that's a good use of time for you  :rotflmao:.

Offline Cap'n Bob

• GOLD STAR
« Reply #17 on: July 22, 2012, 07:23:20 pm »
  Actually I just popped on right when you posted it. Then two minutes later it came on as another new post when I was looking at the unread posts. But I will say that I did like the response. Maybe I shouldn't have re-posted what you originally said. For that I apologize. But It was probably a one shot deal. I probably wouldn't have that kind of timing twice.  :))

As to liking the kudos from the press, I guess I can see how you may enjoy that. But I like the articles more myself when they are just trying to review a machine.  Or even if they're going to compare the latest machine upgrades on multiple new machines. But pitting brand new designs against older and giving out awards or rankings makes no sense to me. :truce:

Offline Bobby

• Mini Bike
« Reply #18 on: July 22, 2012, 07:30:47 pm »
Yeah, maybe in these next few years we'll get some updated competition which should make things more interesting...   :beerchug:

Offline Pistole

• Street Cruiser
  • AREA: Southwest Area
  • Membership Level: Expired - Expired Term
« Reply #19 on: July 22, 2012, 10:36:53 pm »

- these reviews are just one part of the stuff most people will go through to assess a purchase.

- they're usually too full of the " ... oohs ... aaaahhhss ... " factor , but some have nibbets of good info.

Offline ConcoursKZ

• Sport Tourer
  • AREA: North Central Area
  • COG#: Forum
« Reply #20 on: July 22, 2012, 11:08:17 pm »
The Concours 14 pushed the other manufacturers into a new realm of bike. Middle aged riders wanted something with the speed of what they grew up on with the ability to travel long distance. The Goldwing, Harley Dressers and other Cruising Baggers could not fit the bill. If you grew up on Z1's, GS1100s, VMax's etc of the late 70s and 80s getting old isn't an option. Kawasaki I think understands this. The other manufactures are following suit. I am excited to see what the next generation will be. The C10 Concours was way ahead of its time and still holds up in the new market and that's pretty amazing. 
2008 Concours ABS 1976 KZ 900 B1   CDA#387
“Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety.”

Offline oldnslo_MO

• Road Bike
  • AREA: North Central Area
  • COG#: 9924
« Reply #21 on: July 22, 2012, 11:20:51 pm »
   yeah, he's at it again :iagree:
happy trails  2016 concours14,2010 bmw k1300ggt, 2015 bmw r1200rt, 09 concours14, 75 kawasaki H1   500cc*79 triumph bonneville750* 2 each  82su zuki gs1100e* 05 yamaha fz1 1100* 03 yamaha fz1 1100*01 goldwing 1800*97 goldwing 1500* 93 goldwing 1500* 80 kawasaki vulcan 1500*76 kawasaki kz650* 66 triumph Bonneville 650* 68 triumph tr 650* 72 norton commando750* 70 bsa rocket III 750*  68 hon cb350* 66 hon cb305*1960 BSA golden flash 500cc*1950 cushman

Offline Bugnut

• Scooter
  • The Dude abides.
  • COG#: 9946
  • Membership Level: Area Director
« Reply #22 on: July 22, 2012, 11:27:10 pm »
Wow. Just wow. :-[ Wonder how this discussion would go over at a RTE or social get together.

Mike

Offline Gigantor

• Road Bike
  • COG#: 9242
« Reply #23 on: July 23, 2012, 01:22:44 am »
Bob why rain on their parade, you sure have spent a lot of energy and time on this post.  You don't even have a C14! Or the BMW.  Although your opinion is spot on.

I don't care what the mags say, my opinion is what matters to me.  I could've gone with a newer revised C14 based on the reviews but I'm completly happy with my 08 and little by little I've truly made it my own.
1988 CBR600  Long Gone, 1985 VF750   Sold
1996  Royalstar Sold, 1993 CBR1000F  Sold
2003  C-10  Sold
2008  C-14  Destroyed, 2008  C-14  So Far So Good
COG 9242   AMA 1082581  ROK ROK100028645

Offline Cap'n Bob

• GOLD STAR
« Reply #24 on: July 23, 2012, 08:02:28 am »
The Concours 14 pushed the other manufacturers into a new realm of bike. Middle aged riders wanted something with the speed of what they grew up on with the ability to travel long distance. The Goldwing, Harley Dressers and other Cruising Baggers could not fit the bill. If you grew up on Z1's, GS1100s, VMax's etc of the late 70s and 80s getting old isn't an option. Kawasaki I think understands this. The other manufactures are following suit. I am excited to see what the next generation will be. The C10 Concours was way ahead of its time and still holds up in the new market and that's pretty amazing.

Actually, I agree and don't agree. Although I think they do/did see the market for such a bike. I think they also follow and lead. They basically copied the idea of the sport tour from BMW back in 86. But IMO, made it better having the formula that still works to this day. A great bike with 4 cylinders and a reasonable price. Both the C10 and the C14 followed this recipe.
    But Kawasaki dragged their feet for years after basically one update on the C10 in the early 90's. The C10 went 25 years before Kawasaki did finally update the C14 with a new design.  So the 2008, then the redesigned 2010 were the results. I do applaud Kawasaki for the quick redesign of the Gen I C14 for 2010, to address some of the (arguably) issues with the Gen I C14.
   But I also find Kawasaki to be a follower. Because they waited the 25 years for the C14. Well the competition already had come out with their own better bikes. Honda had the ST1100 which was (arguably) a much better bike than the C10. Then they designed the ST1300. Yamaha also did the FJR, and so on. So IMO, the C14 was late to the party.
   But in the last few years, Kawasaki has enjoyed having the newest designed Sport Tour on the market, with the same great bang for the buck formula. I think the down economy also actually helped the C14. Since the other manufacturers probably held off on redesigns becuase of it. But I don't think the C14 can match the C10 for the bang for the buck factor.
   The C10 will not compete in most categories with the C14 or other newer designed sport tours. It still did very well in all aspects with it's older design. But that also came with a much less expensive price tag. I personally think that if new C10's were still available (even by order only), folks would buy them.