Author Topic: 12 Volts NOT 12 Volts??  (Read 5321 times)

Offline H2

• Bicycle
  • AREA: Northeast Area
  • COG#: forum
  • Membership Level: Forum Subscriber
Re: 12 Volts NOT 12 Volts??
« Reply #25 on: December 07, 2014, 09:26:51 am »
H2,
So what did I win?    >:D

Matt

Haha...you sound mighty expensive and very high maintenance!!  :rotflmao: :rotflmao: :rotflmao:

Offline gPink

• Iron Butt
  • MMVIII C XIV
  • AREA: North Central Area
  • COG#: Forum
« Reply #26 on: December 07, 2014, 11:34:47 am »
H2,

Matt
A slightly used 12v adapter. You pay shipping.  :rotflmao:

Offline H2

• Bicycle
« Reply #27 on: December 07, 2014, 03:50:22 pm »
H2,

Matt
A slightly used 12v adapter. You pay shipping.  :rotflmao:

Ha ! Good one....and a couple of burned out fuses.. :nananana:  Seriously though, thanks guys, much appreciated !  :) :beerchug: :great:

Offline Jlewis50

• Mini Bike
  • AREA: Southeast Area
  • COG#: 11547
  • Membership Level: Expired - Expired Term
« Reply #28 on: December 07, 2014, 10:22:36 pm »
Didn't Read the entire post,  but are you using a powerlet adapter in the cig lighter? If so they don't seem go work. I had one and bailed on it.

Offline H2

• Bicycle
« Reply #29 on: December 08, 2014, 12:04:26 am »
Didn't Read the entire post,  but are you using a powerlet adapter in the cig lighter? If so they don't seem go work. I had one and bailed on it.

Yeah, long story short (this might help you out in the future)....I installed a 12 V socket on my C14 that connects to the battery, so it is always "on". I bought a heated vest and it came with pigtails. Socket to battery works and is correct. Heated vest also works.

Then I bought a 12 V adapter (coax cable) that connects from vest to 12 V socket and it did not work.

Ends up that the 12 V adapter that plugs into the 12 V socket had the polarities reversed. So I had to open it up, break the solders, reverse the polarities and re-solder it.

Works perfectly now.

I gave you the short version. In reality, the troubleshooting took quite some time because I never ever considered a NEW adapter with the polarities reversed. This was a first for me. Then add in some blown fuses and it was not immediately apparent what the problem was.

Thanks to the guys on the COG Forum, they gave me great ideas to get me thinking it other ways.

Offline Jim

• Scooter
  • AREA: North Central Area
« Reply #30 on: December 09, 2014, 03:27:19 pm »
"Innkeeper" is right, a fuse can look fine and still be blown. The only way to check is with a meter.

Offline JPavlis_CA

• San Jose CA
  • Sport Tourer
  • AREA: Southwest Area
  • COG#: 2293
  • Membership Level: Active
« Reply #31 on: December 09, 2014, 05:39:40 pm »
"Innkeeper" is right, a fuse can look fine and still be blown. The only way to check is with a meter.

Don't forget to check the fuse holder as well, as they can often have an intermittent connection. I've experienced this several times. It will drive you crazy trying to figure it out. Got one on my toyhauler - fuse has to be "just right" or it won't make connection.    :(

I miss the old glass fuses - solid connections, easy to tell if it's blown...
All God's male children tend to be low-life, sleaze-ball, early apexers - Terry Earwood, Chief Instructor, Skip Barber Racing School.

Offline H2

• Bicycle
« Reply #32 on: December 09, 2014, 06:51:32 pm »

Don't forget to check the fuse holder as well, as they can often have an intermittent connection. I've experienced this several times. It will drive you crazy trying to figure it out. Got one on my toyhauler - fuse has to be "just right" or it won't make connection.    :(

I miss the old glass fuses - solid connections, easy to tell if it's blown...

All GREAT suggestions ! My sincere "thank you" to all who took the time to write. All the posts really did help me troubleshoot to narrow the problem down and got me thinking in different directions. It will also help me out in the future as well. Thanks guys ! :great: :beerchug:

Offline wyomingpat

• Concours 14 newby
  • Scooter
  • I look nothing like Gyneth
    • My Martial Arts website
  • AREA: Northwest Area
  • COG#: 11232
  • Membership Level: Expired - Expired Term
« Reply #33 on: December 09, 2014, 08:47:56 pm »
I suspect you're blowing the fuse on the circuit for the cig lighter adapter, as it isn't intended to provide that much current. You probably blew the one in your car too. Check your fuse boxes in your bike and your car.
I agree.
Pat

Offline H2

• Bicycle
« Reply #34 on: December 09, 2014, 10:09:56 pm »
Pat: Here are my observations that may help you troubleshoot in the future with something similar.

1. The 5 amp fuse as part of the 12 V Socket circuitry that comes with the C14 was blown.
2. The fuse in the car 12 V socket and car cig lighter were not blown (I don't know the fuse capacity but I guess it was obviously sufficient).
3. The 15 amp fuse as part of the 12 V socket that I installed as an accessory (hooked up directly to the battery) was not blown.
4. The heated vest also has a 15 amp fuse. So the 6.4 amps that it is supposed to draw when on "high" will not blow its own fuse by design.

Thus, only the 5 amp fuse blew....which makes sense. In short:
1. I verified that the vest worked.
2. I verified that the 12 V socket I installed was correctly wired from the battery to the socket and was operational (verified by function and by multimeter).
3. I used a multimeter to determine that the 12 V adapter I had bought was functioning but that the polarities were reversed.

The big lesson I took away from this is that it is indeed very possible for the most simple of items to be defective even though it is brand new. I mean, it is a coax cable with an adapter and a fuse. You cannot get more simple then that and despite the acceptance test for any part and whatever quality control (if any), the part was defective.

Hope you will find the above info of use to you one day.

Offline Zorlac

• Crotch Rocket
  • Bulletproof, eh? I'll be the judge of that!
  • COG#: 6962
« Reply #35 on: December 10, 2014, 03:43:41 am »
"I mean, it is a coax cable with an adapter and a fuse. You cannot get more simple then that and despite the acceptance test for any part and whatever quality control (if any)"

I'll wager somewhere on that piece is a "Made in China" label.
If they can get an 85% defect free yield it's acceptable at that price point.
COG #6962

Offline stevewfl

• Iron Butt
  • COG# 9334
  • AREA: Southeast Area
  • COG#: 9334
« Reply #36 on: December 10, 2014, 04:01:22 am »
 ;D

KiPass!