Author Topic: 1/2 way through C-14 Valve Job.  (Read 1754 times)

Offline KnoxSwift

• Moped
  • AREA: Southwest Area
  • COG#: 11037
  • Membership Level: Active
1/2 way through C-14 Valve Job.
« on: July 06, 2014, 02:40:19 am »
So just for record keeping in the Group.
I have 17000 (+a little bit) miles on a 2013. Returned from a 3900mile trip and decided to not wait any longer. (I've not sold my Goldwing yet so I have a Backup Motorcycle to ride, LOL)

I dove into the valve job this weekend and the results so far:

1 Intake Valve in spec. (meaning in center of spec).
2 Intake Out of spec.
All other Intake at the MIN of the spec.

3 Exhaust out of spec.
All others on the MIN end of spec.
No exhaust falls in the median or Good range!

I could not re-assemble  :-[  as my dealer is out of Shims I need. I should of checked before starting.  Order is 3-4 business days so I HOPE I can finish next weekend. :'(

The tear down wasn't so bad. I think the re-assemble is going to be painful. (FYI anyone with canyon cages, they have to come off and you'll have to re-torque mounts at the end of the job...)

I did remove the radiator completely. I think this helps ALOT, gives so much room to get in there. (Also because I found 2 water hoses with corrosion on --around-- them, so they were or are leaking and worth cleaning up and re-tightening in the end. Cleaned out all the fins and unbent fins as well).

Also, last observation, the current spark plugs are at the end of the spec. so going to replace while I'm in there. (I thought iridium plugs last longer though the manual says change them at 7500 so I guess I got good life out of them?)

Sucks I couldn't finish this weekend.I hope shims arrive so I'm not held up more than one weekend and I don't forget where things go when I go to assemble.

Question...Should I or is it necessary to sync after the valve job? I guess it might be easier to hook up hoses to sync while it's all apart?

:motonoises:
« Last Edit: July 06, 2014, 02:53:31 am by KnoxSwift »

Offline Fred_Harmon_TX

• COG Technical Editor
  • Industry Member
  • Iron Butt
    • Angel Ride Videos
  • AREA: South Central Area
  • COG#: 2170
Re: 1/2 way through C-14 Valve Job.
« Reply #1 on: July 06, 2014, 03:08:42 am »
Anytime you do something to alter the airflow in the engine, technically you should resync the throttle bodies.

However, I've now done about 8 valve adjustments or so on various C14's, and I typically find that very little, if any, adjustment is needed to the throttle bodies after a valve adjustment. All the ones I have done, have had a real good sync afterwards, and I maybe just had to make a very small tweak here or there to get them perfect. So I'd have no problem skipping the throttle body sync.

But you are correct, it's much easier to get the hoses on it while it is all apart. Some folks like me to hook up the hoses and leave them on the bike (plugged of course) so that they can access them easier, so this might be a good time to do that. The hard part of the throttle body sync is getting a screwdriver on the metering screws and the center linkage screw. You'll need a special right angle screwdriver to reach them, along with tons of patients.
Fred H.

Thanksgiving Sale in Effect now!  Concours 1400 Maintenance Videos 
http://www.angelridevideos.com

Offline gsun

• Sport Tourer
  • CDA #560
  • AREA: Northwest Area
  • COG#: 9127
« Reply #2 on: July 06, 2014, 03:18:01 am »
I did a sync on the first valve adjustment and left the hoses on. Had a problem getting to the middle screw and it was close enough that I was able to do each body individually and got them good. On the second adjustment, I could not find my manometer! Gone... So I skipped it and find no problem - idles really nicely, no shaking or anything out. Got to find that thing... :-[

Offline KnoxSwift

• Moped
« Reply #3 on: July 06, 2014, 03:32:02 am »
So are either of you the one who posted somewhere on this forum the Sync Block?

Someone made a nice looking block ran the hoses to the block and mounted the connections permanently.
I'd really like to know where the block was obtained or parts used to make it?

I figured it was appropriate to do the Sync after a valve adjust so I'll put it on my list for after re-assemble.

Thanks!

Offline gsun

• Sport Tourer
  • CDA #560
  • AREA: Northwest Area
  • COG#: 9127
« Reply #4 on: July 06, 2014, 03:43:51 am »
Sorry - not that anal!

Offline KnoxSwift

• Moped
« Reply #5 on: July 06, 2014, 03:46:43 am »
Sorry - not that anal!
:hee20hee20hee:

Alas, I am...LOL

Offline 4Bikes

• Iron Butt
  • AREA: Northeast Area
  • COG#: 9715
  • Membership Level: Asst. Area Director
« Reply #6 on: July 06, 2014, 10:12:35 am »
KS, thanks for posting your results.   :great:
Silver 2011 C-14 and 2019 Versys 1000 SE LT+.  Previous rides: KZ-400, KZ-750, KZ-1000.  Keep the rubber side down.  Ride Fast......Live Slow......

Offline Brass

• Street Cruiser
  • COG#: Forum
  • Membership Level: Forum Subscriber
« Reply #7 on: July 06, 2014, 01:06:18 pm »
So are either of you the one who posted somewhere on this forum the Sync Block?

Someone made a nice looking block ran the hoses to the block and mounted the connections permanently.
I'd really like to know where the block was obtained or parts used to make it?

I figured it was appropriate to do the Sync after a valve adjust so I'll put it on my list for after re-assemble.

Thanks!

I purchased a sync block from the member who was selling them, can't remember who it was right now.  I installed the block during reassembly after adjusting the valves.  IMHO the block was well worth the money but just getting longer vacuum line hoses would be good.
Shaun - Collegeville PA
2017 Yamaha FZ-07

Offline Justin726

• Bicycle
  • AREA: North Central Area
« Reply #8 on: July 06, 2014, 02:52:13 pm »
Anybody have a link or know the member who was selling these blocks for the vacuum lines?  Did a search but camp up empty.  Sounds like that's the way to go.

Offline MAN OF BLUES

• I Need a Life
  • AREA: North Central Area
  • COG#: 5977
« Reply #9 on: July 06, 2014, 06:29:26 pm »
Simply add the hoses to the t/b's while you have the valve cover off and can reach in there, run them out to theleft side, plug them and clip them together with a sparkplug wire loom.... adding that block into the assembly simply clutters up an already packed area, and serves little purpose other than costing money, and time, not to mention having to uninstall it for access next valve adjust..... :rotflmao:

30 YEARS OF KAW.....Rich R. (the other one..)  COG 5977  JUSTAMEMBAHNOW
and if you are gonna call me names... it's MR. Analdweeb if you please...

Offline BDF

• Iron Butt
« Reply #10 on: July 06, 2014, 08:12:37 pm »
Bill (Wild_Bill  is his forum name, you have to use the underscore 'cause there are two Wild Bills here) used to make a sell them. Not sure if he is still doing it or not but easy enough to shoot him an e-mail or PM and ask.

Brian

Anybody have a link or know the member who was selling these blocks for the vacuum lines?  Did a search but camp up empty.  Sounds like that's the way to go.
KiPass keeping you up at night? Has the low fuel warning burned your retinas? Find peace, harmony and the answer to these problems. www.incontrolne.com

Offline KnoxSwift

• Moped
« Reply #11 on: July 06, 2014, 09:14:20 pm »
Thanks for the info!