Author Topic: 1200 miles from home and lost my fuel cap - improvising for now - better ideas?  (Read 2648 times)

Offline Fais

• It's amazing what one can accomplish if it doesn't matter who gets the credit.
  • Sport Tourer
  • AREA: Southeast Area
  • COG#: Forum
  • Membership Level: Forum Subscriber
This was an eBay keyless gas cap. Will prob order another and have it within a week on the road somewhere. Til then .... can I do better than this?? I have my Kawi cap at home.

5-hour energy bottle with some electrical tape for a snug fit. I have a plastic lid to cover with when parked in case of overnight rain:-/ Probably will tape the lid on....

:beerchug:
1976 BMW R90S (Luna) - 2000 KLR650 (Dirt McGirt) - 2005 SV1000 (Sue) - 2006 Vespa PX150 (Vino Negro) - 2014 C14 (Betty) - 2017 Z125Pro (MiniZ)
Whether you think you can or can't - you're right!
Instagram @ fais_the_photographer

Offline cra-z1000

• Sport Tourer
  • Keeping it upright..
  • AREA: South Central Area
  • COG#: 9790
  • Membership Level: Active
If you can find an expandable rubber plug big enough that's what I would do . Hardware stores have em . The rubber expands when you turn the nut . Some even have a wingnut .
1987 C 10
80 Kawasaki KZ 1000 MK 2
74 Honda 750 four ss
73 Suzuki 550 triple
72 Honda 550 four

Offline Tagara

• Tricycle
Dang Bro I am sorry to hear that. I wish I had a better solution..seems like you have a good idea so far..maybe a hardware store could help..i wish I had an idea..you are one traveling dude..do you ever stay home ? lol

Offline Canadian Steve

• Moped
  • AREA: Northeast Area
  • COG#: 7641
"May" need a small hole for venting?
1999 Concours ...stock cept fer some tweaks by SSIF (sold May/16--goodbye old friend)
2014 FJR

Offline gPink

• Iron Butt
  • MMVIII C XIV
  • AREA: North Central Area
autoparts store and try a couple of aftermarket replacements

Offline Fritz

• Tricycle
  • AREA: Northeast Area
  • COG#: forum
Well, at least your gas cap won't get jammed like the stock corroding one that you left at home...  Just make sure nothing that you use dissolves in gasoline.

Offline Bingo

• Big Wheels
  • AREA: Southwest Area
Maybe there is a kawasaki dealer nearby that has one?

Offline Fais

• It's amazing what one can accomplish if it doesn't matter who gets the credit.
  • Sport Tourer
I'm actually staying at a Kawi dealership tomorrow night. Has a shop but has probably never had a Connie or Connie part. However, even my girl's Mini-Z 125 has the same gas cap as Betty. So maybe there will be something there. If not it will get a rubber plug (thanks CraZ - good idea) and an eBay replacement shipped to somewhere on the road. Mine was the old style and I'm pretty sure I screwed her on tight - but the threads have felt like they were loosening up:-/ The new one is 'sprung'....

I have firm plans for the next 8 days but then have 10 days to get home from Washington and no plan. Makes it hard to order stuff!

Canada Steve - there's a tiny vent hole just outside of the plugged hole. Good lookin out :great:

Tagara - Anywhere I have a bike waiting for me outside IS home  ;)

Thanks for the help y'all  :beerchug:
1976 BMW R90S (Luna) - 2000 KLR650 (Dirt McGirt) - 2005 SV1000 (Sue) - 2006 Vespa PX150 (Vino Negro) - 2014 C14 (Betty) - 2017 Z125Pro (MiniZ)

Offline MAN OF BLUES

• I Need a Life
  • COG#: 5977
Try a swimming pool sales and supply store, they have expandable rubber plugs like this

http://www.pool-spa-supplies.com/winterizing-plug-2in-plug-size-11?utm_source=google_shopping&gclid=CPzy2Za4xc4CFZY0aQodLA0FcA

Also, autozone, or car parts stores have similar style plugs, for replacing standard freeze plugs on engine blocks, but you'd have to pick up a wing nut from lowes or some hardware store also...

That's a best case scenario tho, and would be water tight.... id affix a string to it tho, and tie it to something incase it pops out, wouldn't want to loose the repar plug also.

Ride safe

30 YEARS OF KAW.....Rich R. (the other one..)  COG 5977  JUSTAMEMBAHNOW
and if you are gonna call me names... it's MR. Analdweeb if you please...

Offline The Pope

• Crotch Rocket
  • North Carolina AAD
  • COG#: 9994
  • Membership Level: Asst. Area Director
Swing by most any motorcycle stores like Cycle Gear. They may carry aftermarket fuel caps. One for a ZX14 fits as well.
The Pope
2011 Atomic Silver C-14 (aka TheImprovedSilverDammit)

"The Universe is a contest between engineers making things idiot-proof and God making bigger idiots. So far, God is winning by a wide margin." (Unknown author, well I don't know who said it.)

Offline Conrad

• Street Cruiser
I'm actually staying at a Kawi dealership tomorrow night. Has a shop but has probably never had a Connie or Connie part. However, even my girl's Mini-Z 125 has the same gas cap as Betty. So maybe there will be something there. If not it will get a rubber plug (thanks CraZ - good idea) and an eBay replacement shipped to somewhere on the road. Mine was the old style and I'm pretty sure I screwed her on tight - but the threads have felt like they were loosening up:-/ The new one is 'sprung'....

I have firm plans for the next 8 days but then have 10 days to get home from Washington and no plan. Makes it hard to order stuff!

Canada Steve - there's a tiny vent hole just outside of the plugged hole. Good lookin out :great:

Sorry but I have to ask. How did you lose the gas hole cap?

You're 'staying at' a Kawasaki dealer? They setting up a bed for you out back or what?    ;D
2008 C-14 ABS
Northern Illinois

Do not regret growing older. It is a privilege denied to many...

Offline Fais

• Sport Tourer

You're 'staying at' a Kawasaki dealer? They setting up a bed for you out back or what?    ;D

I can only assume the gas cap came loose while riding - really no idea tho -

Yes - a Kawi dealer drove three hours to get me on a Sat night last year. My spark plug came out at Craters of the Moon National Park. I was fixed by 8am Sunday morning. I definitely consider this guy a friend. There's a couch in the storage room behind the dealer:-)

http://www.krehbiels.com/m/index.htm If you're ever in Aberdeen, Idaho!
« Last Edit: August 16, 2016, 09:45:58 pm by Fais »

Offline SilverConnieRider

• Crotch Rocket
  • COG#: 11953

So you looked down and it was gone?

No tank bag?

Are you positive that no one took it because it was not locked on?

Maybe this would be a reason to order 2 units and have one for a spare?

Offline ST eater

• Road Bike
  • COG#: 10456
Do you have to replace that cap every 5hrs :rotflmao: You my friend, are very creative. Nice, got to love it! :beerchug: and that Mini-Z is a sweet bike
Rich
2012 Concours
2004 ST1300 sold
1998 ST1100 sold
1991 ST1100 sold
IBA

Offline Fais

• Sport Tourer

So you looked down and it was gone?

No tank bag?

Are you positive that no one took it because it was not locked on?

Maybe this would be a reason to order 2 units and have one for a spare?

No tank bag - just the ROK box.

Noticed it was gone when I stopped for fuel (!) I set the cap on my gloves when I fuel up so there is really no way I rode off without it and there wouldn't have been much chance of anyone stealing it. I think the threads were getting looser and looser - now we see why the new design is sprung instead of threaded:-/ I would always tighten it against the o-ring without over-tightening. Probably my bad :truce: This cap was a gift to me - when my friend got 'the new one' lol. Remind me to save a lump of coal for him this Christmas :rotflmao:

Hope you are healing well Karl  :beerchug:

Offline Fais

• Sport Tourer
Do you have to replace that cap every 5hrs :rotflmao: You my friend, are very creative. Nice, got to love it! :beerchug: and that Mini-Z is a sweet bike

Zing! Nice one Rich. I will be drinking the $3 of liquid when I don't need it as a plug anymore. Imagine me with more energy! Scary :-X

I'll tell Ewa StEater likes her bike :great: She'll love it:-)

Offline Conrad

• Street Cruiser

Yes - a Kawi dealer drove three hours to get me on a Sat night last year. My spark plug came out at Craters of the Moon National Park. I was fixed by 8am Sunday morning. I definitely consider this guy a friend. There's a couch in the storage room behind the dealer:-)

http://www.krehbiels.com/m/index.htm If you're ever in Aberdeen, Idaho!

Your spark plug came out? That has to be a first.
2008 C-14 ABS
Northern Illinois

Do not regret growing older. It is a privilege denied to many...

Offline Dave Scott

• I Need a Life
  • COG#: 8603
  • Membership Level: Asst. Area Director
Only Fais could have these kind of problems!   :-\ :-[ :rotflmao:

Offline Fais

• Sport Tourer
Only Fais could have these kind of problems!   :-\ :-[ :rotflmao:

Lol - the threads wore right out of the head at 170k :o