Author Topic: thin brake rotor  (Read 1263 times)

Offline DGOLD

• Scooter
  • 1995 c10, 2001 c10, 2010 c14
  • AREA: Southwest Area
  • COG#: 10054
  • Membership Level: Active
thin brake rotor
« on: May 01, 2015, 02:22:53 pm »
I was told at the dealership that I needed new rotors all the way around because they were worn past spec.
I took the bike to my independent mechanic and he measured the rotors for me and found one front rotor .5 mm thin and its mate .5mm thick. The rear was OK. My mechanic said not to worry and to wait until I started to feel the difference.
Can anyone tell me my risks in leaving a rotor that is thin other than perhaps warping it.

Offline WillyP

• I Need a Life
  • Live Free Or Die
    • Suncook Carpentry
  • AREA: Northeast Area
  • COG#: 8799
Re: thin brake rotor
« Reply #1 on: May 01, 2015, 03:01:17 pm »
It's fine don't worry about it.
Smart people look like crazy people to stupid people.
pics

Offline lather

• Street Cruiser
    • West Florida Republic Riders Club
  • AREA: South Central Area
  • COG#: 10690
« Reply #2 on: May 03, 2015, 12:08:11 pm »
I was told at the dealership that I needed new rotors all the way around because they were worn past spec.
I took the bike to my independent mechanic and he measured the rotors for me and found one front rotor .5 mm thin and its mate .5mm thick. The rear was OK. My mechanic said not to worry and to wait until I started to feel the difference.
Can anyone tell me my risks in leaving a rotor that is thin other than perhaps warping it.
I replaced my front rotors at 124,000 miles. They were both down to 3.5mm  by my own measurement. At the time I also wondered what the potential problems could be with thin rotors as I could not be certain I could feel any loss of braking performance. I came to the conclusion that one potential problem might be that if the rotors were under spec AND your pads were very worn you might not have enough piston movement to get good braking or the pistons may come out too far and damage the seals.

Offline LouSpag

• Scooter
  • AREA: Northeast Area
  • COG#: Forum
  • Membership Level: Forum Subscriber
« Reply #3 on: May 03, 2015, 01:05:26 pm »
I could be wrong but I believe the issue with thin rotors is that a good set of new pads could warp then under heavy breaking.  This however, I've seen happen with cheap rotors as well. When they are thin they can nolonger handle the added heat generated from hard breaking.
I always coincided changing mine when they get close to the low tolerance value. But I'm a heavy brake.

LouSpag
~~~~~~~One Day At a Time~~~~~~~~~
2000 ZX12r
2009 Concours 14
2012 ZX14R

Offline G-Mazz

• Mini Bike
  • AREA: North Central Area
  • COG#: 9048
  • Membership Level: Asst. Area Director
« Reply #4 on: May 07, 2015, 03:11:26 am »
I believe the greatest concern with thin rotors is the caliper pistons extend too far.  This can cause problems with the caliper seals and possibly keeping the piston secure in the caliper.

Offline stevewfl

• Iron Butt
  • COG# 9334
  • AREA: Southeast Area
  • COG#: 9334
« Reply #5 on: May 07, 2015, 07:56:12 pm »
i wore my fronts so slim a friend thought he could bend them and tried. they looked like paper, but he couldn;t bend them.  then i figured it was time for some EBC's
KiPass!