Author Topic: 1400 toolkit  (Read 1708 times)

Offline doebag

• Tricycle
  • AREA: Northeast Area
  • COG#: forum
  • Membership Level: Expired - Expired Term
1400 toolkit
« on: March 23, 2012, 11:45:43 am »
Having removed the toolkit to try and create a bit of useable space [ now have multi-tool, fuses and screwdriver/bits and sockets under the seat] I am going to preserve the factory toolkit in a vacuum for the next 40 years, then maybe I can sell it for a similar price to this Z1 toolkit on fleabay

HOW MUCH ! :o
'Dying a'int much of a living, boy'
Outlaw Josey Wales

Offline Mad River Marc

• Sport Tourer
  • COG#: 8442
  • Membership Level: Active
Re: 1400 toolkit
« Reply #1 on: March 23, 2012, 01:20:22 pm »
Will you also be including the crack one needs to smoke before paying that much for an OEM toolkit?  :))

Seriously tho,  most of the factory toolkit is junk IMHO, but keep the spark plug socket,  it is actually useful come spark plug change time :)
You only need two tools in life – WD-40 and duct tape. If it doesn’t move and should, use the WD-40. If it shouldn’t move and does, use the duct tape.

Offline Cap'n Bob

• GOLD STAR
  • COG#: 7134
  • Membership Level: Active
« Reply #2 on: March 23, 2012, 01:27:13 pm »
I guess if you want your restoration to be as complete and as close to original as possible. Then that price may not be as high as one might think. I'm not saying it's reasonable. But it's supply and demand. If you need it for your 900. Then you have to pay the price if you need it. 

Offline doebag

• Tricycle
« Reply #3 on: March 23, 2012, 02:05:04 pm »
I do agree Cap'n Bob

Something is only worth what someone will pay for it, and like you say, if it is a show/cup winning restoration then fine, just seriously wonder about 1400's and 40 years into the future
Outlaw Josey Wales

Offline orangewingnut

• Mini Bike
  • COG#: Forum
  • Membership Level: Forum Subscriber
« Reply #4 on: March 23, 2012, 07:34:03 pm »
what tools and in what sizes did you replace the oem tool kit with? i am trying to assemble a list of stuff i should bring on a cross country trip this summer and would appreciate some feedback.

Thanks,

Bill

Offline OregonLAN

• Bicycle
  • AREA: Northwest Area
« Reply #5 on: March 23, 2012, 09:03:16 pm »
I saw a C14 toolkit on eBay for ~$40.00. Obviously the Z1 toolkit is plated with gold...

@doebag - I did the same thing to mine. The tools that comes with most bikes are on part with that you can get from the Dollar Store.

@oreangewingnut - I carry an assortment of metric Allen wrenches, a cressent wrench,  a Leatherman pliers/multi-tool, a couple common metric sockets,  a reversible screwdriver, some electrical/duct tape, fuses, a small flashlight and a copy of my insurance card with roadside assistance. Depending on where I go, I might carry a portable Slime compressor and an emergency tire plug/repair kit in the left saddlebag.
« Last Edit: March 23, 2012, 09:05:12 pm by OregonLAN »

Offline ddtmoto

• Road Bike
  • AREA: Southwest Area
« Reply #6 on: March 24, 2012, 12:40:22 pm »
Having had four flats on the rear of my 14, so far, I don't leave home without a compressor and plugs.
04 GSXR1000
97 TLS1000
01 DRZ400E
09 Black on black ZG14...

Offline doebag

• Tricycle
« Reply #7 on: March 24, 2012, 07:48:12 pm »
what tools and in what sizes did you replace the oem tool kit with? i am trying to assemble a list of stuff i should bring on a cross country trip this summer and would appreciate some feedback.

Thanks,

Bill

Bill
At the moment what is in the picture

1/4 inch hex drive handle and extensions. Four sockets, screwdriver and allen key bits. Leatherman multi-tool, helmet security cable, plus spare fuses and a small AAA cell mini Maglight.
First aid kit in the fairing pocket. I figure waiting for road side recovery with a flat tyre is better than bleeding to death waiting for an ambulance  :o
I think I may be able to fit a small adjustable spanner, just looking for the right size and quality.
Outlaw Josey Wales