Author Topic: Motor power band?  (Read 1767 times)

Offline kdub

• Mini Bike
  • AREA: South Central Area
  • COG#: 11022
  • Membership Level: Active
Motor power band?
« on: November 02, 2013, 11:44:00 pm »
Today I rode to lunch with a buddy of mine that has a new Honda CB1100.  On the way home we turned on to a road with a nice long stretch of new pavement.  Just as I shifted in to second gear he buzzed on the outside just wringing that thing out (he hit his magic 300 mile mark).  Soo after he slowed up and maintained his lane position I kicked the 14 in the rear and shot past him shifting gears at 9500ish all the way to 9500 in 4th gear, just how fast does one of these things go!  :o 

I can feel the motor start to come on at about 4500 and again much harder at 6000, at what rpm does it start to lay over?  I'm loving this bike!
'07 KLR 650
'12 Concours 14

Offline xDaveManx

• Mini Bike
  • AREA: Southeast Area
  • COG#: 11231
Re: Motor power band?
« Reply #1 on: November 02, 2013, 11:45:15 pm »
I honestly haven't tested mine fully.  By the end of second gear if you shift near redline I'm doubling legal limits in most places.
2009 Concours 14
1991 Honda ST1100
1985 Honda Shadow 500 (sold)
2008 Ninja 650R (sold)
2008 KLR 650 (traded)
2006 Suzuki GZ250 (wife's, sold)
2004 Ninja 500R (totaled)
1981 KZ500LTD (sold)

Offline mnofpeace

• Road Bike
  • AREA: Northeast Area
  • COG#: forum
  • Membership Level: Forum Subscriber
« Reply #2 on: November 03, 2013, 04:20:48 am »

it seems to me, from my experience, the motor really starts to kick in at around 4500, and like most 4 cylinder bikes, it can be run right up into redline without much drop off at all. 

personally, just mucking around on an empty stretch of road, i was able to reach about 95-100mph in 2nd gear, just under redline.  my upshift into 3rd and beginning revs took me into the 5500 or so rev point, pushing around 110mph...and then i backed off...

on the one hand, i would love take this thing, with its ZX14ish motor, to a trackday...but on the other, knowing how i have ridden my track and race bikes in the past, it would only end with me dragging pegs and a nice big bill for bodywork.    :motonoises:
Patrick L.
Ft. Washington, Md.
09-C14 (street)
07-ZX10r (track)

Offline Joe S.

• Street Cruiser
  • AREA: Northwest Area
  • COG#: 10862
  • Membership Level: Expired - Expired Term
« Reply #3 on: November 03, 2013, 04:40:46 am »
I've wondered myself.  I had a chance to run mine out a little this year.  I saw an indicated 135, in fifth and it looked like it had 2000 rpm left to redline.  It felt like it was still pulling hard.  I'm pretty sure it will pull redline in 5th without a problem, not sure about 6th, but I know it won't be doing it with me on it. :-\
'14 HD FLHR, '12 C14
'11 650 Vstrom, '09 HD XR1200
'01 HD FXD, '79 BMW R100

Offline Turbo

• Moped
« Reply #4 on: November 03, 2013, 11:15:50 am »
If you have the stock exhaust, the power really nosedives after 9000 rpm. I have the full area P exhaust, BMC air filter, zx14 throttle bodies, and PCV with a full custom tune. The bike now makes peak power right at the rev limiter. It will pull hard right to the limiter. I see 160 on the speedo very frequently, and if it is a decent stretch, 165 is pretty easy to hit. I have seen just over 170, but you need a pretty long stretch to hit that. I think it would do 175 on the speedo if you have enough room, but you would need a long stretch. I also am running a 190 - 55 - 17 rear tire, so the speedo is actually reading slightly lower than someone who is still running the 190 -50 back tire. The speeds are with the bags on. I'm sure the bike would go a little faster without the bags, but have not tried it to see. Mike.

Offline Nomadicfireman

• Bicycle
  • Nomadicfireman
  • AREA: South Central Area
« Reply #5 on: November 03, 2013, 09:39:39 pm »
167mph with bags on and my big butt. Don't shift to 6th.. It'll just slow down. Be safe.
09 Concours14ABS
04 KLR650
Those that want to find a way. Those that don't find excuses.

Offline nando

• Transport C-14
  • Crotch Rocket
  • AREA: Southwest Area
  • COG#: 10454
« Reply #6 on: November 03, 2013, 10:08:02 pm »
I ran mine up to 3500 rpm the other day and then shifted. But I usually shift at 3k on open road.
In traffic, I constantly shifting around 2600rpm and I keep up with the slow traffic pretty good.
Dude, the bike feels like its hardly straining...oh wait!, am I on the wrong thread? :a012:
I am voting for anyone who wasn't there during the government shut-down.

Offline Daytona_Mike

• Sport Tourer
  • COG#: Forum
« Reply #7 on: November 04, 2013, 01:34:58 am »
If you have the stock exhaust, the power really nosedives after 9000 rpm. I have the full area P exhaust, BMC air filter, zx14 throttle bodies, and PCV with a full custom tune. The bike now makes peak power right at the rev limiter. It will pull hard right to the limiter. I see 160 on the speedo very frequently, and if it is a decent stretch, 165 is pretty easy to hit. I have seen just over 170, but you need a pretty long stretch to hit that. I think it would do 175 on the speedo if you have enough room, but you would need a long stretch. I also am running a 190 - 55 - 17 rear tire, so the speedo is actually reading slightly lower than someone who is still running the 190 -50 back tire. The speeds are with the bags on. I'm sure the bike would go a little faster without the bags, but have not tried it to see. Mike.
With a 190\55 showing 170 on the speedometer  the corrected true speed you are doing is  162 per multiple gps's. Our speedometers are off quite a bit and more so at higher speeds. I know, I took pics at 170 indicated
Mike.
Normally aspirated engines have perpetual turbo lag
2000 Red C10 1052 kit 100+HP  + way more torque.
2008  C14 Silver Dammit Full AreaP- Flies are put back in SISF_Flash
2011  KLR650   688 piston ported and polished
2011  KTM 530    This thing is FUN!!

Offline Turbo

• Moped
« Reply #8 on: November 04, 2013, 01:14:22 pm »
Mike; That's great to know. I knew the speedo read a little high, and it's good to know how much. I think my speed would be limited by the rev limiter in 5th. That would be top speed because if you shift to 6th the bike actually slows down. Mike.

Offline Steve in Sunny Fla

• Industry Member
  • I Need a Life
  • COG#: 6977
« Reply #9 on: November 04, 2013, 02:08:18 pm »
I read an article on the internet about tightening the power band and making more power. I haven't done it yet, but I think there's a bolt with a locknut near the front / bottom of the motor to effect the adjustment.  Just be sure to have a wrench on the bolt before you loosen the locknut, or you'll lose the factory setting of the powerband, and you'll have to start over. If you do this, please post up your results, dyno charts, etc. I really enjoy trying to make things better than the factory did, I'm thinking working with the powerband adjustment of the motor would be a good way to  upgrade a c-14. I wonder if it's going to need a stronger battery, too? :motonoises: Steve
C-14 ECU flashing for performance and rideability enhancement
C-10 Carb work , cams, & performance enhancements
 " Modifications for sport-tourers, BY a sport-tourer"
https://sites.google.com/site/shoodabenengineering/home

Offline Trex1200r

• Tricycle
  • AREA: Southwest Area
« Reply #10 on: November 04, 2013, 03:04:07 pm »
I have an older 2009 Concours.  At the risk of  beating a topic to death, pulling the secondary butterflies really woke the bike up below 4500 rpm.
It has been years now, but seems like a remember the bike used to feel like it had a turbo on it.  No power, then you hit the magic rpm and things opened up and away you went.   I hated that.   Pulling those secondary butterlies, a PCV tune, and a Leo Vince exhaust turned the bike into the torque monster it should have been from the factory.  Maybe torque monster is an exaggeration, but the powerband is much more linear now, there is no waiting for the power to arrive.

Maybe none of that applies to the later bikes though.   I haven't been following this forum like I used to when my bike was new.  Once you get farkled out and have the bike the way you want it, you don't visit here as often. 

TREX 

Please ride responsibly.

Offline mehush

• Road Bike
  • COG#: 11038
« Reply #11 on: November 05, 2013, 02:30:57 am »
Don't really need a lot of power to ride fast..............................but it's nice.  :)

Offline mattchewn

• I Need a Life
  • COG#: 10993
« Reply #12 on: November 05, 2013, 02:40:21 am »
Mike,
I can't see how your speedo was off so far with a 55 rear tire. My speedo was off less than 1/2 MPH at 80 indicated which would equate to less than  1 MPH at 160 MPH indicated. I know this is going to change as the rear tire wears though. The more the tire wears the farther off the speedo will be. What rear tire were you using and how many miles were on it? Whe I put on a new Angel in the 55 series it was dead on accurate for the first 1.5-2k or so. Then it started to go south. Even now at 7 k on the tire I am only off on the speedo about 2 MPH at 80 indicated  which would still only be 4 off at 160.
Matt
2018 H2 SXSE.  (FAT SXSE)
2011 GSX1250 FA
2009 Ninja 500R. (wifes')
2001 Bandit 650  (kids')

Offline Turbo

• Moped
« Reply #13 on: November 05, 2013, 11:41:57 am »
Matt; I am running a pilot road 2 tire. The problem is that the speedo's are not linear. The faster you go, the larger the discrepancy. I know that around 70 - 80 the speedo is pretty close. I don't think it is off quite as much as Daytona Mike says at 170, but I have never GPS checked it at that speed. Mike.

Offline mattchewn

• I Need a Life
  • COG#: 10993
« Reply #14 on: November 05, 2013, 11:55:47 am »
Turbo,
Maybe your tires are shrinking or swelling at speed? At 80 MPH I was doing 80 MPH on the GPS on a new (Pirelli Angel GT) tire. At 120 I was doing 120 on the same GPS. At 136 on the GPS I had to slow down 'cause I was running out of straight line road so I don't know what the speedo was reading. I am guessing it was very close if not exactly the same as the GPS given that each time the numbers matched up to that point. In my experience the speedos are always inaccurate expressed as a percentage. This percentage is for the most part fixed and does not change excluding tire wear. On the stock 50 series tire the percentage of inaccuracy was 4.0%. When I drove 90 on the speedo the GPS said 82. This was with the stock tire with less than 1K on it. As soon as I got the Pirelli's mounted I had zero percentage of discrepancy. After almost 7k I was up to about 2% discrepancy, maybe 2.5%.  I do believe that all the different branded tires are slightly different in circumference which would account for differing inaccuracies on the same bike. Also the different tires wear quite differently as well causing further issues.
Matt 
2018 H2 SXSE.  (FAT SXSE)
2011 GSX1250 FA
2009 Ninja 500R. (wifes')
2001 Bandit 650  (kids')

Offline Jim M.

• Mini Bike
  • COG#: 7951
« Reply #15 on: November 05, 2013, 12:55:48 pm »
I read an article on the internet about tightening the power band and making more power. I haven't done it yet, but I think there's a bolt with a locknut near the front / bottom of the motor to effect the adjustment.  Just be sure to have a wrench on the bolt before you loosen the locknut, or you'll lose the factory setting of the powerband, and you'll have to start over. If you do this, please post up your results, dyno charts, etc. I really enjoy trying to make things better than the factory did, I'm thinking working with the powerband adjustment of the motor would be a good way to  upgrade a c-14. I wonder if it's going to need a stronger battery, too? :motonoises: Steve

While you're in there, you may as well pull that Black powerband out and replace it with the ZX14 Red one. That mod alone is worth at least a 17% boost in bottom end.  :great: Oh, stay away from the purple ones. They are great for the track, but tend to wear out the dual stage wobbler shafts.

Offline Boston Bagger

• Tricycle
  • COG#: Forum (M)
« Reply #16 on: November 05, 2013, 01:37:16 pm »
If you want to know your power curve, its best to look at the raw data.  The Variable Valve Timing offers some real advantages by providing a very wide power band, which really kicks in at the lower RPM range. 

Offline stevewfl

• Iron Butt
  • COG# 9334
  • COG#: 9334
« Reply #17 on: November 05, 2013, 01:41:11 pm »
If you want to know your power curve, its best to look at the raw data.  The Variable Valve Timing offers some real advantages by providing a very wide power band, which really kicks in at the lower RPM range.

+1 and the Guhl reflash gives it that extra umph  :great:
KiPass!