Author Topic: 1400GTR Bogged in Sand  (Read 2088 times)

Offline Highett

• Mini Bike
  • Australia
  • AREA: South Central Area
  • COG#: 9937
  • Membership Level: Active
1400GTR Bogged in Sand
« on: November 02, 2013, 06:36:17 am »
I thought I would share this experience I had today.

I was out and about today and pulled into a nice rest area along side the hunter river, rather than park in the car park I elected to ride between the posts and ride down to a nicer spot.

I rode over an area with no grass which turned out to be soft sand, the GTR sank like a stone and stopped in its tracks.

As I tried to ride out of it the back end just sank deeper, then the traction control kicked in the motor sounded like it was chugging, I stood taking my weight off the bike and it crawled out of the sand.

I had my video running, motor sounds weird but I am amazed at how the bike came out of the sand.

Photo:

Video - Click on image to play video

Offline Restless

• Restless
  • Tricycle
  • AREA: North Central Area
  • COG#: 10510
Re: 1400GTR Bogged in Sand
« Reply #1 on: November 02, 2013, 12:15:29 pm »
Nice video and nice work keeping it upright!!  I'm not so sure I would have been as fortunate given the same scenario.  That branch at 34 seconds sure jumps out of nowhere too!!  :motonoises:
« Last Edit: November 05, 2013, 11:18:28 am by Restless »
"Why is there never enough time to do it right the first time, but always enough time to do it over?"

Offline works4me

• Street Cruiser
  • AREA: Northeast Area
  • COG#: 10594
« Reply #2 on: November 02, 2013, 12:18:39 pm »
So much for "Leave no trace".  ::)

Offline TimR

• Global Moderator
  • Iron Butt
  • AREA: Northwest Area
  • COG#: 9032
« Reply #3 on: November 02, 2013, 12:21:42 pm »
Well Paul, that's what you get for going 4 wheeling on a C14.  :))

But you made it out.    :-\   I thought traction control could be turned off.

I was with a group of friends who decided to go down a dirt road to look at the river in a box canyon on time. I did not know the dirt road ended up as a dead in with soft sand. I decided after fighting the C14 out of there while the river and falls were nice to look at, it was not worth the head ache to see it again.
Blue 1975 Z1B 900, Red 09 C14     I might not be perfect but at least I don't ride a Suzuki

Offline RUFFSTUFF

• Mini Bike
  • AREA: Southeast Area
  • COG#: Forum
  • Membership Level: Forum Subscriber
« Reply #4 on: November 02, 2013, 01:11:30 pm »
:-\   I thought traction control could be turned off.

It can... With a simple press and hold.
2012 Concours 14, 2007 Yamaha R1, 2006 Yamaha R6

Offline Fred_Harmon_TX

• COG Technical Editor
  • Industry Member
  • Iron Butt
    • Angel Ride Videos
  • COG#: 2170
« Reply #5 on: November 02, 2013, 01:28:16 pm »
You probably wouldn't have gotten it out nearly as easily without the traction control on. I once climbed up a very steep incline that was covered with large loose rocks that there is no way I could have made it without traction control. It really works. And yes, it makes the engine sound a bit odd when it is working, because it modulates both air, fuel, and spark to the engine to reduce power. You can basically just pin the throttle and the system will reduce power just to the point that the wheel stops slipping, and then it will motor right out of the situation.
Fred H.

Thanksgiving Sale in Effect now!  Concours 1400 Maintenance Videos 
http://www.angelridevideos.com

Offline Joe

• Road Bike
  • COG#: 10990
« Reply #6 on: November 02, 2013, 01:57:54 pm »
I too had an issue with loose surface, but on a big hill with a few bumps in it.  Ok, it's the driveway into our archery range.... Riding down into the range was fine, but on the way out the hill scared me.  When the traction control kicked in, it cut the power and I stopped, and almost went down- not expecting to stop. 

I was not able to get moving again without the traction control kicking in.  Easy press & hold and turned it off.  Went right up the hill.  Every time since then I just turn it off when going up that hill. 

And, yes I do go the the archery club frequently on the bike. 
2012 C14 Black
2001 C10.  SOLD
CDA #444.

Offline Highett

• Mini Bike
  • Australia
  • COG#: 9937
« Reply #7 on: November 02, 2013, 03:33:58 pm »
Well Paul, that's what you get for going 4 wheeling on a C14.  :))

But you made it out.    :-\   I thought traction control could be turned off.

I was with a group of friends who decided to go down a dirt road to look at the river in a box canyon on time. I did not know the dirt road ended up as a dead in with soft sand. I decided after fighting the C14 out of there while the river and falls were nice to look at, it was not worth the head ache to see it again.

Unfortunately some of the good places to visit are not always easily assessable and getting back out can be a challenge too...

I would not call it 4 wheel driving but I do get off the beaten track sometimes.

Click on image to view video

Offline Gypsy JR

• American Gypsy
  • I Need a Life
  • Living the Gypsy Life
  • COG#: 9279
« Reply #8 on: November 02, 2013, 08:11:55 pm »
Glad  you made it out, interesting to see traction control in action in a severe situation.

Good thing its not a four wheel drive, when you get your 4WD stuck, you are really stuck.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
2017 Forest River Flagstaff Super-V 27VRL travel trailer
Where are you? [insert random forest name]

Offline TimR

• Global Moderator
  • Iron Butt
  • COG#: 9032
« Reply #9 on: November 02, 2013, 08:36:56 pm »
Paul, a great video. I've ridden on similar gravel roads but when it starts getting loose I like to ride the old 900 in it. For one the 900 is about 300 lbs. lighter and not so tall. I also noticed you drive on  the wrong side of the road. Been down under a couple of times years ago when we both were young pups. 
Blue 1975 Z1B 900, Red 09 C14     I might not be perfect but at least I don't ride a Suzuki

Offline tjhess74

• Street Cruiser
  • COG#: 8406
  • Membership Level: Expired - Expired Term
« Reply #10 on: November 02, 2013, 11:17:24 pm »
agreed, kudos on keeping it upright! that tc kicking in sure does sound strange!  that definitely would be an 'oh crap' moment!
Tom Hess  North Charleston, South Carolina    COG #8406  IBA #30337  CDA #248 (C10)    97 c10 (former)  08 c14 (current), 2007 Honda VFR800 RWB

Offline Pistole

• Street Cruiser
  • AREA: Southwest Area
  • COG#: forum
  • Membership Level: Expired - Expired Term
« Reply #11 on: November 04, 2013, 05:26:57 am »
ha. that u-turn in the 2nd video was probably pretty hairy by the looks of it (and the radius you took).

Good job on keep it upright !

Offline Stretch72

• Mini Bike
  • AREA: Northeast Area
« Reply #12 on: November 04, 2013, 12:09:43 pm »
Good job on not dumping it.  Of course the obvious question is why would you ride between barriers that are obviously there to keep motorized vehicles out?
Please read all of my posts through the lens of humor.
The above post is a personal opinion and in no way reflects the official position of the Concours Owners Group.

2012 - C14 ABS, Black

Offline SO InnKeeper

• Bicycle
« Reply #13 on: November 04, 2013, 04:47:43 pm »
I've been wondering the same thing as Stretch.  The barriers were there for a purpose. All the cagers are saw this now think negatives about motorcyclists who don't follow the rules. As a Rider I don't think to highly of this.  The grassy area where the sand was is now unlevel and needs to be smoothed out. Was that fixed?
I'm glad to hear the bike wasn't dropped and nothing is wrong with it. But the damage (while small) to the property hurts all of us.  I own a nice park like piece of property that I work hard to maintain and so does our maintenance man (who I pay to keep it nice).  Tearing it up cost money to fix and cost Motorcyclists a bad reputation.   
Sorry about the rant but I have had to deal with 'innocent' stunts like this damaging my property.   

A winter or two ago I had someone drive out on my frozen lawn to see the back of my property up close.  They could have walked the  100 yards. But no they drove across the grass, crushing it in its frozen state and killed it all the way out and back.  Two nice brown strips resulted. Fortunately the ground was frozen so they didn't damage the septic lines under the grass. 

We as motorcyclists need to make sure we set a positive image.  We catch enough crap without adding fuel to the fire.

Rant Finished!
Gate Keeper to Crater Lake National Park, Southern Oregon

Offline stevewfl

• Iron Butt
  • COG# 9334
  • COG#: 9334
« Reply #14 on: November 04, 2013, 05:02:59 pm »
Traction control is great and I love mine, but FYI you could've disabled it and ROMPED it out  :great:
KiPass!

Offline ConcoursKZ

• Sport Tourer
« Reply #15 on: November 04, 2013, 06:31:00 pm »
Nice job not dropping it. I still say a C14 is the worst off roading or loose surface bike I have ever ridden. Nothing is close.
2008 Concours ABS 1976 KZ 900 B1   CDA#387
“Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety.”

Offline stevewfl

• Iron Butt
  • COG# 9334
  • COG#: 9334
« Reply #16 on: November 04, 2013, 08:01:14 pm »
Nice job not dropping it. I still say a C14 is the worst off roading or loose surface bike I have ever ridden. Nothing is close.

Mine has been OK off road to be a big behemoth bike. traction control rocks on it too.

extreme off road sand and heat/AZ

deep gravel/moab

and deep water/Utah.  this monsoon eventually put it down in front of me and if i mentioned how deep it was in the road at places you wouldn't believe me.

KiPass!

Offline RUFFSTUFF

• Mini Bike
« Reply #17 on: November 04, 2013, 09:15:01 pm »
this monsoon eventually put it down in front of me and if i mentioned how deep it was in the road at places you wouldn't believe me.

Resistance is futile.
2012 Concours 14, 2007 Yamaha R1, 2006 Yamaha R6