Author Topic: 15,000 mile service and new tires done. Under $1K.  (Read 2966 times)

Offline Joe

• Road Bike
  • AREA: North Central Area
  • COG#: 10990
  • Membership Level: Active
15,000 mile service and new tires done. Under $1K.
« on: May 02, 2015, 01:28:51 pm »
I picked up my 2012 last night after the 15000 mile service and new tires.  It was at 14104 miles, but was due for the tires, so it all got done.  Dropped it off last Saturday, picked up Friday evening.  The work done at http://riverszzr.webs.com/

Tires- I got just under 9000 miles on the previous PR4 GTs.  The rear was worn to the wear bars in the middle, and had a bit more tread on the sides.  I blame that on my commute through farm country.  This time around I went with the Bridgestone T30 GTs.  190/55 rear.  I was a bit hesitant to go with Bridgestone again after my time on the OEM tires.  My ride home (65 miles) they feel really good.  New tires always do, but much lighter feel.  Maybe that is because they are new, or maybe it is the 55 series rear.  They are very quiet on the road, and hold nice in the corners.  Biggest advantage I found in my short ride was on a concrete road that was milled a few years ago.  The PR4's seemed to follow the groves left in the surface.  The T30's do not follow them at all. 

Now for the service.... 9 valves below minimum spec, the rest where at minimum.  All valves got adjusted.  Exhaust .0085-.009"  Intake .0055".  The air filter was not really bad, but replaced anyway.  Plugs had some carbon deposits on them, and where replaced.  I had the cam position sensor o-ring replaced.  Coolant was changed.  Throttle body sync- #4 was just a bit low, but adjusted up to match.  Loose clamps found (and tightened) on the boots from the air box to the intake, and the intake to the throttle bodies.  Break fluid had some condensation in it, clutch fluid was much worse with some gunk in it.  Both where flushed and filled.  My clutch lever pin was rusty- cleaned and lubed.  Brake pin was dry, but no corrosion.  Throttle cables where lubed. 

Two observations made by the guy working on it-  There is a hint of front brake pulse, so the rotors may be a bit warped.  I didn't feel it, but maybe I am used to it.  The other was a fair amount of carbon deposit on the plugs & valves.  He suggested some Techron run through every few tanks to prevent this. 

Out the door for under $1000.  This was taking advantage of some spring promo specials offered by the guy doing the work. 
2012 C14 Black
2001 C10.  SOLD
CDA #444.

Offline NYbiomed

• Street Cruiser
  • AREA: Northeast Area
  • COG#: 11887
Re: 15,000 mile service and new tires done. Under $1K.
« Reply #1 on: May 02, 2015, 03:31:54 pm »
GREAT write up and pics!
 :beerchug:
2002 Honda VTR1000F SuperHawk
2009 Kawasaki Concours 14 ABS
1999 Suzuki Katana 750   1993 Yamaha Seca II
1990 Kawasaki EX500      1983 Honda CB1000 Custom

Offline instructor

• Road Bike
  • COG#: 11886
« Reply #2 on: May 02, 2015, 07:05:54 pm »
Well done and just where is this shop located?? 

Offline Joe

• Road Bike
« Reply #3 on: May 02, 2015, 07:34:51 pm »
Well done and just where is this shop located??

Thanks.  He is in the St. Paul MN area. 
2012 C14 Black
2001 C10.  SOLD
CDA #444.

Offline seagiant1

• Sport Tourer
  • AREA: Southeast Area
  • COG#: 11323
« Reply #4 on: May 02, 2015, 09:20:12 pm »
Hi,
       Good deal!

Good service at a fair price!

Hard to beat!!! :great:
“If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen.” -Samuel Adams

"The further a society drifts from the truth, the more it will hate those that speak it"
"In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act." George Orwell

Offline MAN OF BLUES

• I Need a Life
  • COG#: 5977
« Reply #5 on: May 02, 2015, 10:03:53 pm »
Good job man, I'm sure you feel a lot more comfortable now, knowing all those valves are adjusted, and you have confidence the work was actually done  :beerchug: :great: :great:

We can add you into our " glad I checked the valves" list, as a bonafide reporter of them being out below the required check / inspection interval...

30 YEARS OF KAW.....Rich R. (the other one..)  COG 5977  JUSTAMEMBAHNOW
and if you are gonna call me names... it's MR. Analdweeb if you please...

Offline 4Bikes

• Iron Butt
  • COG#: 9715
  • Membership Level: Asst. Area Director
« Reply #6 on: May 02, 2015, 11:02:05 pm »
Good job man, I'm sure you feel a lot more comfortable now, knowing all those valves are adjusted, and you have confidence the work was actually done  :beerchug: :great: :great:

We can add you into our " glad I checked the valves" list, as a bonafide reporter of them being out below the required check / inspection interval...
I second MOB. Good job finding a good mechanic.
Silver 2011 C-14 and 2019 Versys 1000 SE LT+.  Previous rides: KZ-400, KZ-750, KZ-1000.  Keep the rubber side down.  Ride Fast......Live Slow......

Offline Kman

• Moped
  • COG#: 10569
« Reply #7 on: May 03, 2015, 12:47:58 am »
RE carbon : The C14 has direct injection so it is more prone to deposit buildup than engines using older port injection. It is generally  recommended that only Top Tier gas (check out www.toptiergas.com)  be used as well as regular Techron type cleaners.
2012 Black, PR4GTs, Guhl Flash, CS1 Slip-on, Blaster X Brake Flasher, Cree 10W Lights, H4 Extreme Bulbs, Baldwin Heated Seat, Screaming Banshee Horn, MRA VarioTouring Screen, Throttlemeister, Crampbuster, ProjectD Radiator Guard, Front & Rear Fender Extenders, Techspec Snakeskin Saddlebag Protectors, Techmount GPS Bracket, OEM Tank Guard, 47L Top Bag, Helmet Locks, ProjectD Kickstand Bigfoot

Offline mattchewn

• I Need a Life
  • COG#: 10993
« Reply #8 on: May 03, 2015, 12:53:42 am »
Kman,
The C 14 does NOT have direct injection. It is injecting the fuel at the throttle body. That is just another arrangement of "port" fuel injection.  Direct Injection puts the fuel into the combustion chamber "directly"  not through an intake valve or runner.  Big truck diesel engines are Direct Injection and fuel pressures at the injector nozzle exceed 5000 PSI on some engines.  Gasoline direct injection is just now starting to go mainstream with cars, not likely to make it into bikes in the near future.
Matt
2018 H2 SXSE.  (FAT SXSE)
2011 GSX1250 FA
2009 Ninja 500R. (wifes')
2001 Bandit 650  (kids')

Offline Kman

• Moped
  • COG#: 10569
« Reply #9 on: May 03, 2015, 09:02:42 am »
Kman,
The C 14 does NOT have direct injection. It is injecting the fuel at the throttle body. That is just another arrangement of "port" fuel injection.  Direct Injection puts the fuel into the combustion chamber "directly"  not through an intake valve or runner.  Big truck diesel engines are Direct Injection and fuel pressures at the injector nozzle exceed 5000 PSI on some engines.  Gasoline direct injection is just now starting to go mainstream with cars, not likely to make it into bikes in the near future.
Matt

I stand corrected Matt, I misread DFI in the manual...it stands for digital fuel injection instead of direct. However I would still use Top Tier gas.
2012 Black, PR4GTs, Guhl Flash, CS1 Slip-on, Blaster X Brake Flasher, Cree 10W Lights, H4 Extreme Bulbs, Baldwin Heated Seat, Screaming Banshee Horn, MRA VarioTouring Screen, Throttlemeister, Crampbuster, ProjectD Radiator Guard, Front & Rear Fender Extenders, Techspec Snakeskin Saddlebag Protectors, Techmount GPS Bracket, OEM Tank Guard, 47L Top Bag, Helmet Locks, ProjectD Kickstand Bigfoot

Offline mattchewn

• I Need a Life
  • COG#: 10993
« Reply #10 on: May 03, 2015, 10:04:13 am »
Kman,
Totally agree on the top tier fuels.
Matt
2018 H2 SXSE.  (FAT SXSE)
2011 GSX1250 FA
2009 Ninja 500R. (wifes')
2001 Bandit 650  (kids')

Offline Joe

• Road Bike
« Reply #11 on: May 03, 2015, 12:10:09 pm »
Thanks guys.  My intent of the post was to give an example of the service that was needed on my bike, and to show that there are good places out there to have work like this done.  We all have dealer nightmare stories.  Not all dealers are bad, but I found this guy to be exceptional, both in value and quality of service.  I hope/wish all owners could find a similar reliable mechanic if they are unable to do the work themselves. 

I have been buying gas around home based on availability of non-ethanol fuel.  I get much better mileage from it than the standard (around here) 10% ethanol blend.  I will go to more of a every other tank approach to see if that helps. 
2012 C14 Black
2001 C10.  SOLD
CDA #444.