Author Topic: 15k Service Bike Runs Hotter  (Read 1561 times)

Offline CalBoy

• Scooter
  • AREA: Southwest Area
  • COG#: forum
  • Membership Level: Forum Subscriber
15k Service Bike Runs Hotter
« on: May 20, 2012, 03:34:34 am »
I had the 15k service done on my bike. Picked it up today. I forgot to mention that I didn't need an oil change, since I run Amsoil, and because they didn't know they put the Kawasaki 10w40 in there. Everything that is supposed to be done at the 15K was done, including flushing the coolant. Now, I got on the bike this evening and it's a good eight to ten miles to the freeway. Temp went up to three bars, which is normal in stop and go traffic. But once on the freeway it drops to one bar within a couple of miles, but not today. It stayed at two, it would go to one and then back to two bars and it stayed there for most of the 20 miles ride. I was doing 70 to 80mph the whole time. The outside temp hasn't really been a lot warmer but the bike felt warmer. My shins were warmer than I remember being before the service. It might be some air in the radiator? I am draining the oil as we speak and I'm going to fill up with Amsoil.  What do you guys think?  I will ride it again tomorrow and see if the oil makes such a big difference in how cool or hot the engine runs.
Oh, and by the way, I had the Cox Racing radiator guard installed as well.
« Last Edit: May 20, 2012, 03:49:28 am by CalBoy »
Nobody knows who I am or what I do. Not even I.

Don Juan Matus
Carlos Castaneda, Journey to Ixtlan

Offline Gypsy JR

• American Gypsy
  • I Need a Life
  • Living the Gypsy Life
  • AREA: Southeast Area
  • COG#: 9279
  • Membership Level: Active
Re: 15k Service Bike Runs Hotter
« Reply #1 on: May 20, 2012, 11:55:34 am »
What is the air temperature there? I'd love to run just 2 bars on the highway.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
2017 Forest River Flagstaff Super-V 27VRL travel trailer
Where are you? [insert random forest name]

Offline twowheeladdict

• Tricycle
  • Membership Level: Expired - Expired Term
« Reply #2 on: May 20, 2012, 12:12:07 pm »
Sounds like they didn't get all the air out of the system to me.  I hate letting someone else touch my bikes.  I had a couple recalls on previous bikes where the tech used a power driver to put the plastics back on and cross threaded fasteners and didn't say anything.  >:(

My current dealer will let me stand there and watch the tech if I want to.  I only let them do the 1st service and recall / warranty work.

Offline Fred_Harmon_TX

• COG Technical Editor
  • Industry Member
  • Iron Butt
    • Angel Ride Videos
  • AREA: South Central Area
  • COG#: 2170
« Reply #3 on: May 20, 2012, 01:45:26 pm »
If it were my bike, I'd open the cap at the radiator and top off the coolant, and then I'd also prime the hose to the coolant bottle by blowing in the overflow hose to force coolant back up to the cap through the hose, and then pinch the hose near the cap to trap the fluid with some hemostats, and then put the radiator cap back on.

This of course would require removing some of the right side plastic since the radiator cap on this bike is buried under it (which is a design mistake if you ask me).
Fred H.

Thanksgiving Sale in Effect now!  Concours 1400 Maintenance Videos 
http://www.angelridevideos.com

Offline Gypsy JR

• American Gypsy
  • I Need a Life
  • Living the Gypsy Life
  • COG#: 9279
« Reply #4 on: May 20, 2012, 02:28:30 pm »
If I have to do that much to a modern motorcycle I'm going to sell it.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
2017 Forest River Flagstaff Super-V 27VRL travel trailer
Where are you? [insert random forest name]

Offline CalBoy

• Scooter
« Reply #5 on: May 20, 2012, 04:11:43 pm »
Sounds like they didn't get all the air out of the system to me.  I hate letting someone else touch my bikes.  I had a couple recalls on previous bikes where the tech used a power driver to put the plastics back on and cross threaded fasteners and didn't say anything.  >:(

My current dealer will let me stand there and watch the tech if I want to.  I only let them do the 1st service and recall / warranty work.

I know what you're saying but I have not done any work on any bike in a long time. With a machine like the C14 I have no desire to do any kind of work on it, besides changing the oil and the oil filter. I will ride it again today, it's supposed to get to 94 degrees, and will post later on.

Don Juan Matus

Offline CalBoy

• Scooter
« Reply #6 on: May 20, 2012, 06:10:47 pm »
This is an update. Kawasaki oil out, Amsoil in. Two bars on the freeway. Jumps to three bars almost right away if stopped at the light for longer than 30 seconds. 85 degrees right now. I rode in warmer temperatures and at speeds of 75 to 80mph it was always at one bar (w/Amsoil 10w40). Air in the system? Radiator guard blocking some of the air? I don't friggin' know. All I do know is that I am extremely frustrated right now. I'm gonna have to go back to the dealership on Tuesday and you have no idea how much I like to do that. It totally sucks!
« Last Edit: May 20, 2012, 06:13:45 pm by CalBoy »

Don Juan Matus

Offline TimR

• Global Moderator
  • Iron Butt
  • AREA: Northwest Area
  • COG#: 9032
« Reply #7 on: May 21, 2012, 02:46:54 am »
I recall there might have been some talk about a little warmer temps with a rad guard installed. Your temp seems to be inline with temp readings on my 09. I run deno oil.
Blue 1975 Z1B 900, Red 09 C14     I might not be perfect but at least I don't ride a Suzuki