Author Topic: battery  (Read 516 times)

Offline SPearson

• Big Wheels
  • AREA: Southwest Area
  • Membership Level: Forum Subscriber
battery
« on: January 12, 2020, 03:58:12 pm »
Does anyone else think the 12 A battery is a bit small for the 1400? I know there is very limited space for a battery but even my old BMW R100RT that had no electronics other than ignition and headlight had a 20 A battery. Also, would it be better for the life of a NEW battery to just leave a Battery Tender on all the time or fully charge the battery and then disconnect the ground cable for say a few months. I measure about .08 amp draw at all times, key off Etc. Doesn't seem like much, but with a fairly small battery it will draw down in about a week.

Offline RWulf

• Crotch Rocket
  • AREA: North Central Area
  • COG#: 7122
  • Membership Level: Active
Re: battery
« Reply #1 on: January 12, 2020, 04:29:49 pm »
That's a 12 amp/hour battery. Meaning it will supply 12 amps for 1 hour, or 1 amp for 12 hours.
Divide  your measured 0.08 into 12 = 150 hours. Now for good battery life we should never
discharge a battery below 70% that is 105 hours. But that's not the way batteries are sized.
You need to calculate the starting load. A four cylinder engine is easier to crank over than a
two cylinder engine. Therefor a smaller battery can be used. Just look at the size of Harley
batteries. A lot of single cylinder engines us a compression release to allow a reasonable size
battery. Hope that sheds a little light.

Offline Rideezdale

• rideEZdale
  • Mini Bike
  • COG#: 12728
« Reply #2 on: January 12, 2020, 04:34:21 pm »
This should be in the c14 section.

There is a post in there about using a 16a battery in the c14.
http://forum.cog-online.org/concours-14-zg1400-general-chat-and-tech/16ah-series-battery-will-it-fit-a-c-14/msg683035/#msg683035
1973 Yamaha YZ80, 1977 Suzuki GS400, 1978 Suzuki GS1000E, 1983 Honda CB1100F, 1984 Yamaha Venture,  1987 Yamaha Venture, 1989 Yamaha FJ1200, 2003 Kawasaki Vulcan 1500 Nomad, 2000 Kawasaki concours,  2008 Kawasaki concours

Offline Jorge

• Sport Tourer
  • AREA: Southeast Area
  • COG#: 9297
  • Membership Level: Event Host
« Reply #3 on: January 20, 2020, 11:47:52 am »
The Ah (how much current and for how long it will supply it) rating of a battery and the CA (Cranking Amps) are largely unrelated. The Ah and the "Reserve capacity" are almost the same thing. On cars the "Reserve Capacity" or Ah rating are there because when lots of loads are turned on (Headlights, brake lights, AC compressor and fan, windshield wipers, radio, etc.) the loads will be more than the alternator can provide, and you are slowly draining the battery. The higher the Ah rating, the better the battery can sustain this, and as it ages and capacity drops, can still keep the car running when you're stopped in the rain in the hot summer night.
I think our Connies have an alternator that is large enough to support the normal loads plus some farkles. I don't remember seeing the voltage drop much when stopped at a traffic light. If you have heated seats, halogen driving/fog lights and other items, then I would worry about the Ah rating. I only have a GPS and LED driving lights, and changed my headlights to LED bulbs, so I have no worries in this regard.

Offline connie_rider

• "OtP" {retired/assistant} Slave Labor
  • GOLD STAR
  • Help us make "OtP" possible! "AGAIN"
  • AREA: South Central Area
  • COG#: 4154
  • Membership Level: Asst. Area Director
« Reply #4 on: January 20, 2020, 01:22:41 pm »
I installed this Yuasa 16 Amp battery.
Takes a slight mod to "the cover" that holds down the battery.
Otherwise, it's a prefect fit.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/AGM-Maintenance-Free-Battery-GYZ16H-Yuasa-YUAM716GH/312765503883?epid=209955446&hash=item48d246d98b:g:nYEAAOSwgrxdeZ2u

Ride safe, Ted
14 Connie (Traveler II) / 03 Connie (Buddy)
Gone but not forgotten; 87 and 00 Connies..

If your not already a COGger, "consider becoming one".
Help us make "OtP" possible again!!

Offline MAN OF BLUES

• GOLD STAR
  • COG#: 5977
« Reply #5 on: January 20, 2020, 10:18:53 pm »
Edited:
 :rotflmao:
wait a minute, I just realized this is posted in the ZG 1000 section, so what I said pertains to the ZG1400 / C14...

:-[ :-[ :-[ :-[ ::)
but anyways;

neither bike should have a current draw.
very interesting...
you should not see a .08 amp draw, on this bike while sitting, after the point where the red light on the dash (immobilizer function) goes out, meaning like after 3 days sitting, there should be ZERO amp draw on the battery. Reading the "draw" would require installing a "current transformer" or "CT" as we call it in the engineering world, by running the + (Pos) lead thru the center of said coil, to truly read current draw. The clock is fed from a charged capacitor, so it draws MilliAmp, and does not tax the battery... when sitting...

the only way there would be a drain, is if the bike was "activated", by pressing the key with FOB in hand or readable, thus enabling the start mode, and re-kindling the immobilizer code, which goes off again, after 24+ hours..

Hope this helps, you may have an issue with some add on item, drawing current.
« Last Edit: January 20, 2020, 10:35:15 pm by MAN OF BLUES »

30 YEARS OF KAW.....Rich R. (the other one..)  COG 5977  JUSTAMEMBAHNOW
and if you are gonna call me names... it's MR. Analdweeb if you please...

Offline garage monster

• Tricycle
  • AREA: Northwest Area
  • COG#: 13091
« Reply #6 on: January 21, 2020, 03:33:32 am »
I installed this Yuasa 16 Amp battery.
Takes a slight mod to "the cover" that holds down the battery.
Otherwise, it's a prefect fit.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/AGM-Maintenance-Free-Battery-GYZ16H-Yuasa-YUAM716GH/312765503883?epid=209955446&hash=item48d246d98b:g:nYEAAOSwgrxdeZ2u

Ride safe, Ted
Could you explain what the mod to the cover entailed?

Offline konehead

• Road Bike
  • COG#: 9065
« Reply #7 on: January 21, 2020, 03:47:19 am »
Yeah ted.....

B4 someone posts the worthless without photos tag...... :)

Offline connie_rider

• "OtP" {retired/assistant} Slave Labor
  • GOLD STAR
  • Help us make "OtP" possible! "AGAIN"
  • COG#: 4154
  • Membership Level: Asst. Area Director
« Reply #8 on: January 21, 2020, 03:54:19 am »
I didn't take pictures when I did mine. But I explained what I did as best I could in another discussion.
Here is an explanation, but {written out} it's a little difficult to understand.
Once you buy the battery and place the cover over it, the area you need to modify can be easily determined.
I installed the GYZ16H battery in a 2014...

NOTE: 2 types of battery covers were used on the C-14.
          {I'm not sure when the cover was changed, but I think the earlier C-14's do not need a cover modification).

Explanation; You need to cut holes/grove's thru the battery "cover" to allow it to set in place on the new battery.
           (A mod is needed as the locating tabs on the GYZ16H battery are closer together than the locating tabs on the OEM battery).

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Kawasaki-Concours-14-ZG1400-2012-Upper-Battery-Case-Cover-2010-2017/122891937470?epid=1130897345&hash=item1c9cee26be:g:qiIAAOSwmOJaSur3:sc:USPSFirstClass!77067!US!-1

Above is a C-14 "Upper-Battery-Case-Cover".
In the 2nd and 3rd image's you see a pocket.
That pocket fits between the tabs on the OEM battery.
The cuts/grooves must be cut in the bottom and back of that pocket to allow room for the locating tabs {of the GYZ16H battery} to pass thru.

More detail; In the 4th image, the hold down cover is upside down.
                  You can see a {approx. (1" x 3") piece of rubber glued to the bottom of the pocket.
                     The grooves are cut thru the battery cover at the ends of the rubber.

Turn the cover over and look inside.
Under the top of the battery cover there is a piece of rubber attached.
At both  end's of the rubber, grind a 3/8" wide groove.
 Your cut will go across the flat and up the back {about 1/2" high) of the "pocket" in that battery cover..
   Looking from the end, that pocket section of the cover looks like an "L".
   Cut across the foot of the "L" and 1/2" up the side...

Ride safe, Ted
« Last Edit: January 21, 2020, 04:03:44 am by connie_rider »
14 Connie (Traveler II) / 03 Connie (Buddy)
Gone but not forgotten; 87 and 00 Connies..

If your not already a COGger, "consider becoming one".
Help us make "OtP" possible again!!

Offline ghostrider990

• Crotch Rocket
  • COG#: Forum
« Reply #9 on: January 21, 2020, 12:52:46 pm »
Does anyone else think the 12 A battery is a bit small for the 1400? I know there is very limited space for a battery but even my old BMW R100RT that had no electronics other than ignition and headlight had a 20 A battery. Also, would it be better for the life of a NEW battery to just leave a Battery Tender on all the time or fully charge the battery and then disconnect the ground cable for say a few months. I measure about .08 amp draw at all times, key off Etc. Doesn't seem like much, but with a fairly small battery it will draw down in about a week.

One post, and you guys are spoon feeding him like a newborn.  ::)

Even a google search would have turned up this info, since it's been posted ad nauseum.

I GET helping others, but holy crap -- there's help, and then there's Gov't Cheese.  :-[

gr
My Horns have Horns.

Offline konehead

• Road Bike
  • COG#: 9065
« Reply #10 on: January 21, 2020, 03:01:51 pm »
Im helping teds self esteem.... :)  thanks ted....

Offline lather

• Street Cruiser
    • West Florida Republic Riders Club
  • COG#: 10690
« Reply #11 on: January 22, 2020, 12:27:40 am »
I am currently running a GYZ16H. I don't use the cover, what's it for anyway? I quit using it about 5 years back when a friend gave me a Shorai. It did not fit with the cover. I ditched the cover and never looked back.

Offline ghostrider990

• Crotch Rocket
  • COG#: Forum
« Reply #12 on: January 22, 2020, 12:08:18 pm »
I am currently running a GYZ16H. I don't use the cover, what's it for anyway? I quit using it about 5 years back when a friend gave me a Shorai. It did not fit with the cover. I ditched the cover and never looked back.

You ditched the cover, the Shorai, or both???
My Horns have Horns.

Offline lather

• Street Cruiser
    • West Florida Republic Riders Club
  • COG#: 10690
« Reply #13 on: January 22, 2020, 12:39:56 pm »
The Shorai was on the 08 that was totaled.  It worked great while I had it.