Author Topic: Air filter install  (Read 380 times)

Offline strum

• Street Cruiser
  • AREA: Southeast Area
  • COG#: 12307
  • Membership Level: Active
Air filter install
« on: July 02, 2019, 01:04:22 pm »
  Since I Just got the bike and forgot to ask if the air filter has been changed 11k miles I ordered a Hiflo to replace.
  Ive done this on my 08 a few times and always removed the left upper to get to it.
  Someone I think said I can access it by only removing the left glove box cover . yes or no?

2016 C-14

Offline Harry Martin

• ☺ Cartoonist ☺
  • Industry Member
  • Crotch Rocket
  • Fear is not boring
    • Harry Martin Cartoons
  • AREA: Northwest Area
  • COG#: 4090
Re: Air filter install
« Reply #1 on: July 02, 2019, 01:31:23 pm »
On mine, I have to remove the top, glovebox, left side fairing, and several electrical connections before you can remove the air filter cover. That also means raising the windshield to access the quick rivets. While you are in there, it would pay to check anything else that may need to be done.
Harry in Wild and Windy Casper, WY - 2015 "Greendammit"
https://harrymartincartoons.com

Online Bumblebee

• Bicycle
  • AREA: Northeast Area
  • COG#: 12745
« Reply #2 on: July 02, 2019, 03:34:27 pm »
Exactly as HM said.  To replace the air filter from the glove box would involve sorcery.  That being said, I seem to recall watching a YouTube video where the chap replaced the filter without removing the rear middle fairing. 
2015 Black C14

Offline strum

• Street Cruiser
  • COG#: 12307
« Reply #3 on: July 02, 2019, 06:02:19 pm »
 I just got it back together. Yes you have to pull the mid fairing also . I reread some posts where guys said they do it but  I could not see any way to get around the relay bracket. As I suspected the filter was dirty. Possibly the original. For now I blew it out and put it back in. Got one on the way .
 That was the easy part.
 I found a dead mouse and his nest on top of the engine!!
  Looked like he had used a microfiber cloth to make it. I used a finger grabber to get all i could out and pulled  the plastic from both sides, took the bike outside and blew all the debris out. What a mess. The good news is I found no wires or anything else chewed on. And believe me I  looked and looked and looked.

« Last Edit: July 02, 2019, 06:05:40 pm by strum »
2016 C-14

Offline Harry Martin

• ☺ Cartoonist ☺
  • Industry Member
  • Crotch Rocket
  • Fear is not boring
    • Harry Martin Cartoons
  • COG#: 4090
« Reply #4 on: July 02, 2019, 08:23:13 pm »
Yup, them buggers are good at that.
That is exactly where I found a biker mouse camping in my C14.
Harry in Wild and Windy Casper, WY - 2015 "Greendammit"
https://harrymartincartoons.com

Offline ron203

• Officer
  • Iron Butt
  • COG#: 9847
  • Membership Level: Area Director
« Reply #5 on: July 02, 2019, 08:38:24 pm »
I followed the directions in the Owner's manual and they were surprisingly thorough.
2014 C-14
2008 Goldwing

Offline Red Fox

• Street Cruiser
  • COG#: 11691
« Reply #6 on: July 02, 2019, 10:13:09 pm »
  Since I Just got the bike and forgot to ask if the air filter has been changed 11k miles I ordered a Hiflo to replace.

I changed my filter the first time at 21,000 miles.  Relatively a pain to do compared to FJR1300.  The C-14 filter was very dirty, but no breakthru and no improvement in performance or mpg after the filter replacement with another stock Kawa filter.  so I now replace mine at 20,000 mile intervals.
TryCities, WA.    2011  C-14, silver;  62,000 miles.

Offline MAN OF BLUES

• I Need a Life
  • AREA: North Central Area
  • COG#: 5977
« Reply #7 on: July 02, 2019, 10:29:10 pm »

I changed my filter the first time at 21,000 miles.  Relatively a pain to do compared to FJR1300.  The C-14 filter was very dirty, but no breakthru and no improvement in performance or mpg after the filter replacement with another stock Kawa filter.  so I now replace mine at 20,000 mile intervals.
that's pretty interesting, what you noted... I changed a very filthy one (not as clogged as some I've seen her, just really dirty, when i did my valves, and replaced it a second time, and at both changes, noted an extreme increase in my mpg.. the first time I can say may have been from doing valves, a/f, and plugs.. but the second time was just a filter, and I jumped up 5 mpg on just that change.. on my '08.
 :??:  I dunno.. seemed to make a difference on my bike.

30 YEARS OF KAW.....Rich R. (the other one..)  COG 5977  JUSTAMEMBAHNOW
and if you are gonna call me names... it's MR. Analdweeb if you please...