Author Topic: 1st valve job 54,000 miles ?  (Read 818 times)

Offline Pittsburgh_Clem

• Road Bike
  • AREA: Northeast Area
  • COG#: 11340
  • Membership Level: Active
1st valve job 54,000 miles ?
« on: March 24, 2018, 07:25:46 pm »
I was the second owner and she had 16,000  not sure if the valves were done before. Fast forward to 54,000. took her in for the 60,000 service. Only thing I have ever done is tires and oil. Comments from the service tech.
Valve  adjustment were required on the exhaust valve locations 1 & 2 as well as location 5 & 6 they were measured at .11 mm which was tighter than the .19mm min that the service manual states.
The intake valves required adjustment at the 5 & 6 location measuring .102 under the .12mm min

Just wanted to share  I am not Tech Savvy   As long as she purrs I'm happy  :beerchug: 
Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn’t do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover – Mark Twain.

Offline MAN OF BLUES

• I Need a Life
  • AREA: North Central Area
  • COG#: 5977
Re: 1st valve job 54,000 miles ?
« Reply #1 on: March 24, 2018, 08:02:43 pm »
Did they take the time, while doing this, to record all of the clearances, and shims installed in each position (even the unchanged ones) for future usage in calculating and replacement purposes on future services?
Just asking, as this info when recorded, is worth a lot downstream, so the process can be simplified later in time when others begin to change.

30 YEARS OF KAW.....Rich R. (the other one..)  COG 5977  JUSTAMEMBAHNOW

Offline Pittsburgh_Clem

• Road Bike
« Reply #2 on: March 24, 2018, 09:08:46 pm »
I asked  and this is all I got. The only reason I asked is I see a lot of talk on the subject. :)
Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn’t do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover – Mark Twain.

Offline Roger B

• Bicycle
  • COG#: Forum
  • Membership Level: Forum Subscriber
« Reply #3 on: March 26, 2018, 02:06:22 pm »
Good news it sounds like they adjusted the valves out of spec.  The bad news is that they didn't do anything with the valves that were close to not being in spec.   I adjusted all of mine so that they were slightly above the median part of the range.   I know I should be good for a minimum 20k miles.    I think you could have valves out of spec within 5k miles.   Unless I am reading your post incorrectly.   This is typical dealer performance, a least they adjusted some and didn't just say all were fine.    Not all dealers are like this I know, but there are some.

Offline Pittsburgh_Clem

• Road Bike
« Reply #4 on: March 26, 2018, 11:58:49 pm »
Whatever was done  WOW  she is fast and tight :beerchug:

Offline gsun

• Crotch Rocket
  • AREA: Northwest Area
  • COG#: 9127
« Reply #5 on: March 27, 2018, 02:03:43 am »
Good news it sounds like they adjusted the valves out of spec.  The bad news is that they didn't do anything with the valves that were close to not being in spec.   I adjusted all of mine so that they were slightly above the median part of the range.   I know I should be good for a minimum 20k miles.    I think you could have valves out of spec within 5k miles.   Unless I am reading your post incorrectly.   This is typical dealer performance, a least they adjusted some and didn't just say all were fine.    Not all dealers are like this I know, but there are some.

If that is what they did, I can't understand why all would not be adjusted if the cams are already out. What does it take? A half hour more and a few shims? I would gladly pay for that time compared to the whole bill.

Offline GIant81

• Moped
  • COG#: 12285
« Reply #6 on: March 27, 2018, 05:45:35 pm »
 Can you really feel a difference from pre-adjustment to post-adjustment? 

Offline MAN OF BLUES

• I Need a Life
  • COG#: 5977
« Reply #7 on: March 27, 2018, 06:54:59 pm »

Those of us that have done this service, also do the other associated tidbits, like plugs (even tho the ones pulled look fine, always), new air filter, and TB synch/adj, which when combined with the valves, actually DO make the bike feel "peppier" and new again...
The valves make the bike feel good, but the air filter really wakes this bike up, and makes a severe change for the better, both in response, and in fuel economy...
When my '08 starts dipping down to the 37-39mpg zone on long freeway rides, a new airfilter brings it right back up to 45+ mpg, like right now.... :great: :great:

30 YEARS OF KAW.....Rich R. (the other one..)  COG 5977  JUSTAMEMBAHNOW

Offline GIant81

• Moped
  • COG#: 12285
« Reply #8 on: March 27, 2018, 06:59:46 pm »

When my '08 starts dipping down to the 37-39mpg zone on long freeway rides, a new airfilter brings it right back up to 45+ mpg, like right now.... :great: :great:

new air filter orderd! (I'm rocking an '09 with 45k miles)

Offline Daytona_Mike

• Sport Tourer
  • AREA: Southeast Area
« Reply #9 on: March 27, 2018, 10:54:14 pm »

Agreed   :-[ :-[   
It is always best to try- within reason- to move all valves to the maximum spec.
Normally aspirated engines have perpetual turbo lag
2000 Red C10 1052 kit
2008  C14 Silver Dammit Full AreaP- Flies are put back in SISF_Flash
2011  KLR650   688 piston ported and polished
2011  KTM 530    This thing is FUN!!

Offline Pittsburgh_Clem

• Road Bike
« Reply #10 on: March 27, 2018, 11:57:42 pm »

I would most likely attribute it to a cleaned off air filter "3years" :o and new spark plugs and wires :beerchug:

Offline P07r0457

• Training Wheels
  • AREA: Southeast Area
« Reply #11 on: March 28, 2018, 02:40:51 am »
I would most likely attribute it to a cleaned off air filter "3years" :o and new spark plugs and wires :beerchug:
um.... wat?
2009 Kawasaki Concours 14 ABS - Candy Diamond Red
1986 Honda CB700SC Nighthawk S - Candy Aleutian Blue and Shasta White