Author Topic: A re-introduction and a valve adjustment advice plea  (Read 894 times)

Offline Tony

• Tricycle
  • AREA: Southwest Area
  • COG#: Forum
  • Membership Level: Forum Subscriber
A re-introduction and a valve adjustment advice plea
« on: June 19, 2018, 03:33:04 am »
After way too long I find myself back on the COG forum with a different bike. Hi again everybody, I'm glad to be back and wish a happy ride with the rubber down to all.

My dad gifted me his 02 C10 in the fall of 2016, I had it and put about 3,000 miles on it before deciding the buzz was not working with the amount of wrist and hand pain it would give me. I bought foam grips, I adjusted the valves, I tried a few other tips and tricks (don't remember what anymore) and they didn't work. So with his blessing, I sold it with the promise to use the money for a down payment on a newer bike.

I knew I wanted a bike that was a good all-rounder. One that I could eat up miles on yet still have fun in the twisties. I considered the Ninja 1000 but didn't like the lack of passenger accommodations. I lusted after the CB1100 before realizing they were out of my price range. Rode and loved the motor on a Yamaha XSR900, but couldn't stand the stock or optional seat after 20 minutes. Sat on a ton of other bikes that wouldn't work for various reasons before deciding to try the newer concours. I found an 08 ABS model with 28k on it and paid too much for it because I needed it for a motorcycle trip. I then then loaded it up, added some bar risers, and left for a 3500 mile tour of colorado 3 days after buying it.

This summer I have so far ridden it from Phoenix AZ to my dad's house near Toledo OH and am now struggling through a valve adjustment before hopefully leaving on a trip to the tail of the dragon this coming Saturday, the 23rd. Since my dad isn't able to take a passenger my mom is going to ride with me and my dad will be riding his new CB500R. I'm excited that she'll get to go on a trip again as she misses them, but I'm worried the bike won't be ready or I'll mess it up...

Here's where my plea comes in, and I'm mad at myself for not realizing I should ask sooner. I so far have removed:
  • the inner and outer upper, middle, and lower fairings
  • the fairing stays
  • the braces
  • the engine support brackets
  • the coils
  • and the air valve switch and cover
I am honestly a bit freaked out by the VVT and removing the camshafts should we need to adjust and I haven't bought anything yet. As I'm a teacher on a budget, what's the bare minimum I can get by with replacing for a valve job. I really don't mind spending money on necessary things like seals, but I most likely won't change the plugs unless there's a compelling reason to do so. Air filter is fine as well.

What should I buy to complete this job? I plan on ordering everything as soon as I know what shims I need, but I'll probably order some stuff earlier. Is Murph's kit a good bet for a one stop shop other than the shims?

What tips and tricks would you guys impart on someone who can read a shop manual but isn't massively mechanically inclined? (Other than knowing when to take a step back and re-evaluate what exact f***ery I've started to try before something breaks.)

Offline C. Moore

• Crotch Rocket
  • AREA: South Central Area
  • COG#: 6662
  • Membership Level: Active
Re: A re-introduction and a valve adjustment advice plea
« Reply #1 on: June 19, 2018, 10:03:47 am »
How many miles on the bike? What year is it? I would order Murph's valve adjust kit and I would change the plugs. It sounds like you're down to the valve cover. Once that comes off you will be checking clearances. There's a video out there that will take you through the whole process soup to nuts. I found it very helpful especially when it came to the cams, crank position when checking clearances and cam position when reinstalling. Take it slow with this job and double check all of your work. 
'10 C14  Dallas, Texas
CDA #523
COG# 6662

Offline Tony

• Tricycle
« Reply #2 on: June 19, 2018, 12:50:38 pm »
The bike is a 2008 ABS model with 36,6xx miles on it. It seems to be a CA legal bike as well with the extra smog canister.

Offline Tony

• Tricycle
« Reply #3 on: June 19, 2018, 12:53:16 pm »
Is the video part of Fred Harmon's series? I would've loved to have bought the DVD set earlier but now I'm not sure they would arrive in time of I bought them. If it's not part of that series,where would I find it?

Offline Guest

• Bicycle
  • AREA: Southeast Area
« Reply #4 on: June 19, 2018, 01:22:43 pm »
I would order Murph's valve adjust kit and I would change the plugs.

I agree with this.  Order Murphs kit.  It includes the CCT gasket, now, as well.  I would change the plugs.  They're only $35 so it seems silly to cheap out on them.  Plus you'll already be doing the labor.

Inspect the o-rings around your oil pipes.  I found mine were NOT in good shape, so I ended up replacing all of them (I think there are 12).

Offline Larry_Buck_FL

• Industry Member
  • Road Bike
    • Buck Sport Touring
  • COG#: 3451
  • Membership Level: Event Host
« Reply #5 on: June 19, 2018, 01:29:20 pm »
I would suggest waiting until your return from the trip. Not such a good idea to do major work just before a long trip. IBA rule something or other.  Just sayin.
Larry Buck - COG 3451, Retired SE-AD, now SE-AAD, Ex - Concourier C-10 Tech Editor, COG National Safety Officer, IBA 5581, MSF-Rider Coach, Forum moderator.

Buck Sport Touring-"Ride Far" www.bucksporttouring.com

Offline FTB530

• Street Cruiser
  • COG#: 12127
« Reply #6 on: June 19, 2018, 01:33:50 pm »
Is the video part of Fred Harmon's series? I would've loved to have bought the DVD set earlier but now I'm not sure they would arrive in time of I bought them. If it's not part of that series,where would I find it?
I don’t think Fred is selling the videos anymore, unless he changed his mind, used sets come up for sale here once in a while . Snag the next set you see!
I see you are in the south west, where are you located !might loan you mine if you are close!

Offline Guest

• Bicycle
« Reply #7 on: June 19, 2018, 03:03:01 pm »
I don’t think Fred is selling the videos anymore, unless he changed his mind

They still seem to be available.

http://www.angelridevideos.com/concours.html

Offline Syxxphive

• Mini Bike
  • COG#: 12672
« Reply #8 on: June 19, 2018, 03:10:15 pm »
I don’t think Fred is selling the videos anymore, unless he changed his mind

They still seem to be available.

http://www.angelridevideos.com/concours.html

He’s still selling them, but once he’s out of stock, he won’t be producing anymore of them.

Offline Tony

• Tricycle
« Reply #9 on: June 19, 2018, 03:25:57 pm »
Larry, I would agree with you on waiting till the end of the trip but the bike is already apart so now it'd be infuriating to just put it back together without checking. And if they are out of spec I won't be able to live with myself if I don't fix it. Luckily the trip is somewhat flexible so if we leave Sunday or Monday it won't kill us other than shortening the trip a bit.

Online MAN OF BLUES

• I Need a Life
  • AREA: North Central Area
  • COG#: 5977
« Reply #10 on: June 19, 2018, 09:47:25 pm »
I concur with Larry, and have to say you are at a point you should not have placed yourself in, at this very moment.
This job is not a quick one, and the outcome for someone asking as you are doing right now, does not bode well on it's outcome, expecting to be riding from Ohio, to and from the Dragon... (I live in Ohio, and would NEVER do something like this, or even mount tires without a "week long run it in period" prior to a trip like that) and I've done this service, and will say you never should have started into it with less than a week to complete it after getting to the valve cover off point...
The Kit from Murph will render the disposable parts, but you still need to measure, calculate, chart, and purchase shims based on your findings...AND getting everything delivered, installed, re-inspected X3, before going on that ride.. I'm saying your time expectations are incorrect.

Can't tell you more than that, as you pulled this all apart, THEN came and asked.
I wish you the best of luck, I suggest re thinking the departure and trip timing.

30 YEARS OF KAW.....Rich R. (the other one..)  COG 5977  JUSTAMEMBAHNOW
and if you are gonna call me names... it's MR. Analdweeb if you please...

Offline RodneyW

• Mini Bike
« Reply #11 on: June 20, 2018, 01:18:37 am »
I am in Mesa.  I can't do much for you with the actual work, but I have a set of Fred's videos, and you are welcome to them if you want.  I think that they were well done.

Offline Tony

• Tricycle
« Reply #12 on: June 20, 2018, 10:46:16 am »
RodneyW, thank you so much for the offer! I'm currently in Ohio doing the work (wouldn't catch me dead doing any work in the az summer heat) but if I need to borrow them when I get home I'll keep you in mind.

Offline Tony

• Tricycle
« Reply #13 on: June 26, 2018, 05:27:59 pm »
Valve job is going fine so far, I bought a digital micrometer to double check shim thicknesses and whaddayaknow a factory shim marked 28 measured out to be an 18 (could've read it wrong as the markings were wearing off, really glad I double check my work.)

My biggest PITA so far has been my local dealer. I told then when I needed the parts and they chose not to check what warehouse they were coming from before telling me they would most likely arrive when I needed them... I should've just gone and ordered straight from ridersdomain.com from the get go.

Although if you need something delivered super fast and you pay for next day shipping on ridersdomain, be aware that a difference in billing and shipping addresses will cause their system to pause the order and you might not find out until 11 am the next day, the same day you expected your parts to arrive and paid a slightly ludicrous amount of money for.

Online MAN OF BLUES

• I Need a Life
  • AREA: North Central Area
  • COG#: 5977
« Reply #14 on: June 26, 2018, 08:03:16 pm »
hindsight is always 20/20  :'(
I guess you are seeing now, what we cautioned you about, and the timeline expected for a first time inspection/adjust really takes.
It's only because some of us who have done this more than once, know, and have learned the schedule of snafu's that are to be expected, and in an attempt to share our cautions, we commented.
I do wish you the best outcome, and hopefully you and your parents do get to make that ride, after you complete your service.

be safe, and triple check everything before starting it up and taking it on your trip.

30 YEARS OF KAW.....Rich R. (the other one..)  COG 5977  JUSTAMEMBAHNOW
and if you are gonna call me names... it's MR. Analdweeb if you please...

Offline Mabupa

• mabupa
  • Tricycle
  • mabupa
  • COG#: 12757
« Reply #15 on: June 27, 2018, 05:32:54 am »
I’m nervous just reading this!  :( i hope you can get the job done and get her back together for your trip.