Author Topic: Anyone in Atlanta Area have KDS?  (Read 604 times)

Offline okrider

• Tricycle
  • AREA: Southeast Area
  • COG#: Forum
  • Membership Level: Forum Subscriber
Anyone in Atlanta Area have KDS?
« on: June 20, 2018, 01:40:34 pm »
I'm looking for someone in the Atlanta area who has KDS on their computer and the connecting cable. I need to register a fob and my dealership is absolutely useless (I've already been there twice and my active fob still doesn't work when you take the battery out).

2011 Black: Russel Day Long, Helibars Horizon, Kawi top case, ECU flash, lowered passenger pegs

Offline Daytona_Mike

• Sport Tourer
Re: Anyone in Atlanta Area have KDS?
« Reply #1 on: June 20, 2018, 02:00:10 pm »
Florida.  There is one person just  north of  Tampa. He did mine.
Normally aspirated engines have perpetual turbo lag
2000 Red C10 1052 kit
2008  C14 Silver Dammit Full AreaP- Flies are put back in SISF_Flash
2011  KLR650   688 piston ported and polished
2011  KTM 530    This thing is FUN!!

Online TimR

• Global Moderator
  • Iron Butt
  • AREA: Northwest Area
  • COG#: 9032
  • Membership Level: Asst. Area Director
« Reply #2 on: June 20, 2018, 07:49:58 pm »
Did you take the key out and fit the fob up to the notch on the neck on the triple tree?  There is a notch on the triple tree just forward of and below the stove key. It's easy to reach. Take the key out of the fob. You mate the space the where key was at to the notch. The fob will fit the notch. The Kipass should immediately unlock with a key cymbal on the dash. If that doesn't work I don't know what is wrong. Good luck. Tim
Blue 1975 Z1B 900, Red 09 C14     I might not be perfect but at least I don't ride a Suzuki

Offline Wolverine

• Bicycle
  • 09 Concours 14
  • COG#: 12802
  • Membership Level: Active
« Reply #3 on: June 20, 2018, 09:19:26 pm »
As stated below, I thought I had a problem until I put the FOB up to the notch

Did you take the key out and fit the fob up to the notch on the neck on the triple tree?  There is a notch on the triple tree just forward of and below the stove key. It's easy to reach. Take the key out of the fob. You mate the space the where key was at to the notch. The fob will fit the notch. The Kipass should immediately unlock with a key cymbal on the dash. If that doesn't work I don't know what is wrong. Good luck. Tim
Thanks

Rick

He that hath the Son hath life; and he that hath not the Son of God hath not life. - 1 John 5:12

Offline okrider

• Tricycle
« Reply #4 on: June 20, 2018, 10:26:07 pm »
I know how it's supposed to work. I just let a bad dealership try to program a spare fob and they didn't program the original fob. Went back to the dealership, same story.

When I touch the fob with no battery in it onto the notch on the triple tree, I get a SUBKEY ID ERROR. I just need someone with KDS so I can do the programming myself properly. Done with dealerships. 

So I know I'm doing it right because I'm getting the error.
2011 Black: Russel Day Long, Helibars Horizon, Kawi top case, ECU flash, lowered passenger pegs

Online TimR

• Global Moderator
  • Iron Butt
  • AREA: Northwest Area
  • COG#: 9032
« Reply #5 on: June 21, 2018, 02:29:24 am »
Does it work with the battery installed?
Blue 1975 Z1B 900, Red 09 C14     I might not be perfect but at least I don't ride a Suzuki

Offline Wolverine

• Bicycle
  • 09 Concours 14
  • COG#: 12802
« Reply #6 on: June 21, 2018, 10:19:55 am »
that makes my understanding of the situation better, thanks for clarifying

I get a SUBKEY ID ERROR.
Thanks

Rick

He that hath the Son hath life; and he that hath not the Son of God hath not life. - 1 John 5:12

Offline Steve in Sunny Fla

• Industry Member
  • I Need a Life
  • COG#: 6977
« Reply #7 on: June 21, 2018, 11:40:01 am »
 the first time or two fobs / immobilizers are keyed to a bike, it's pretty nerve racking, because if you screw something up the fallout is very expensive. Once you've done it some, it becomes mentally easier, and the fact is kawasaki separates the fob and immobilizer functions, so as long as you only change one function, make the procedure safe. the trick is to only key immobilizers or fobs but not both during one "round" and then confirm the results before going to the next function, you'll be OK.

IMO, if you own a c-14 and don't have at least 1 backup immobilizer, you're really playing with fire. As long as you can turn the ignition on you can always key in more. Lose your one fob with no backup, and it's game over.

OH and BTW... do this TODAY - take your fob, remove the battery, and check that the immobilizer functions. If you have separate immobilizers, check each to see if they actually function. when I bought my '12 used, it came with a fob and a credit card immobilizer. I figured I was fine. until I tested the credit card immobilizer, and found it had never been keyed to my bike.  :-[  That could have been very bad for me.

Steve
C-14 ECU flashing for performance and rideability enhancement
C-10 Carb work , cams, & performance enhancements
 " Modifications for sport-tourers, BY a sport-tourer"
https://sites.google.com/site/shoodabenengineering/home

Offline okrider

• Tricycle
« Reply #8 on: June 21, 2018, 12:31:54 pm »
My bike came with only the fob when I bought it two weeks ago so I bought a "credit card" and am trying to make sure it all runs right now. Just done dealing with the dealership here in Atlanta and would like to do it myself rather than explain the situation to someone who is then going to explain it to the mechanic who clearly hasn't used the system before.

Thanks for the explanation Steve. Everyone with a used bike should make sure their keys work and try to fix them if not.

Does it work with the battery installed?
It works with the battery installed because the remote fob works fine.

Offline Rock

• Road Bike
  • Ride it if you got it!
  • COG#: 5879
« Reply #9 on: June 25, 2018, 06:34:24 pm »
Orkum,

Give Tony Gaiford a call. He's in the East Marietta, GA area. I've used him since 2005. He may be able to help you, at least answer some questions. He's done great work on my C10s and my C14. And on others' bikes.

He has a big house and works out of the lower level. He knows the Concours.

His phn  678 772 6935.  3045 Patten Dr. 30062

Good Luck

Phil
Phil
COG5879
2013 C14 "SR71"

Offline ron203

• Officer
  • Iron Butt
  • COG#: 9847
  • Membership Level: Area Director
« Reply #10 on: June 25, 2018, 07:07:42 pm »
Tony's a good local wrench on the C-14. +1
2014 C-14
2008 Goldwing

Offline ghostrider990

• Street Cruiser
  • COG#: 12649
« Reply #11 on: June 28, 2018, 10:50:56 am »
Anybody know if this type of work (programming or REprogramming keys or immobilizers) is covered under Warranty??

If a key found to NOT be programmed (like SiSF's) I would think that warranty or the original dealership would HAVE to do this for free??

Of course, extenuating circumstances would apply.....just saying - an astute dealer could submit this claim.

gr
..."I like to keep this handy -- for Close Encounters"...