Author Topic: 2008 - 2009 remote display button mod failure  (Read 840 times)

Offline lather

• Street Cruiser
    • West Florida Republic Riders Club
  • AREA: South Central Area
  • COG#: 10690
  • Membership Level: Active
2008 - 2009 remote display button mod failure
« on: June 09, 2016, 10:12:21 pm »
I did this mod on my 08 and 150,000 miles later it is still working perfectly. I did it last week on my 09 and it worked for only one ride. For those unfamiliar here is the mod link http://www.zggtr.org/index.php?topic=6597.0

My summary: solder a wire to the display circuit board and run that to a switch on the handlebar to ground it.
Did it the same both times except I used non stranded wire on the 09. AS I said it worked at first but no longer. I just went through everything again and all checks out. Tested the switch at the circuit board with continuity tester of my multimeter and it is working. I removed the stiff non stranded wire and replaced with stranded as the stiff wire was getting bent by closing the display case putting pressure on the solder joint (although the joint looked intact to me) Did the best I could to insure a solid solder joint to the circuit board and it looks good but still not working. The OEM button still works perfectly but using it with a tank bag is awkward. I am baffled! Am I missing something? This is the only feature of the 2010 and on models that I miss!

Offline robertv

• Street Cruiser
  • Go Hawks!
  • AREA: Northwest Area
  • COG#: Forum
  • Membership Level: Forum Subscriber
Re: 2008 - 2009 remote display button mod failure
« Reply #1 on: June 10, 2016, 02:14:50 am »
I did the same thing to my '08 back in early winter and love this mod! At the time I was experiencing something similar and realized it was the ground wire not grounded properly under the grips. I would check there first as my switch due to the hole and position was placed a bit too high up and prevented a good ground.
2008 C14, silver [current]
2000 C10, red [sold]

Offline lather

• Street Cruiser
« Reply #2 on: June 10, 2016, 11:59:14 am »
I did the same thing to my '08 back in early winter and love this mod! At the time I was experiencing something similar and realized it was the ground wire not grounded properly under the grips. I would check there first as my switch due to the hole and position was placed a bit too high up and prevented a good ground.
Thanks. I woke up at 3:00 am thinking it can't be anything else but a bad ground. Although I grounded the 09 same as the 08 I am noticing there are many little differences between the 08 and 09. I am going to redo the ground.

Offline lather

• Street Cruiser
Re: 2008 - 2009 remote display button mod failure Update:FIXED
« Reply #3 on: June 10, 2016, 03:02:20 pm »
I redid the ground using Bud Callahan's simple bare wire clamped to the handle bar by the switch housing halves. Works!

Offline robertv

• Street Cruiser
  • Go Hawks!
  • AREA: Northwest Area
  • COG#: Forum
  • Membership Level: Forum Subscriber
« Reply #4 on: June 10, 2016, 03:46:35 pm »
That's great news Bob!!  :great: Again one of the best mods for the 1st gen.
2008 C14, silver [current]
2000 C10, red [sold]

Offline LinuxGuyGary

• Black & Green... The fastest Color
  • Bicycle
  • AREA: Southwest Area
  • COG#: 12089
« Reply #5 on: June 10, 2016, 03:52:43 pm »
This once again proves how valuable the community is in helping folks find & fix issues !   :great: :beerchug:

2011 C14 Black-n-Green

Eastern Utah

Offline MAN OF BLUES

• I Need a Life
  • AREA: North Central Area
  • COG#: 5977
Re: 2008 - 2009 remote display button mod failure Update:FIXED
« Reply #6 on: June 10, 2016, 04:50:09 pm »
I redid the ground using Bud Callahan's simple bare wire clamped to the handle bar by the switch housing halves. Works!

I was gonna mention running a real ground wire to frame, seeing as all the aluminum parts up top and forks, have a clear anodized or painted coating... which isn't conducive to conducting current...

:great:

30 YEARS OF KAW.....Rich R. (the other one..)  COG 5977  JUSTAMEMBAHNOW