Author Topic: 2008 concours 14 engine heat burning legs.  (Read 1794 times)

Offline Paulc_FL

• Tricycle
  • AREA: Southeast Area
  • COG#: forum
  • Membership Level: Forum Subscriber
2008 concours 14 engine heat burning legs.
« on: June 19, 2018, 02:40:03 am »
New owner. Just bought it today. I live in Florida so it's hot but my legs were on fire on the ride home. Any factory fixes? I see foam in the fairing. Not sure if that is supposed to help.
I need help please or I'm only gonna be able to ride in Jan and Feb.
Ideas?
Thanks,
Paul

Offline ZXtasy

• Road Bike
  • It rides the bike or it gets the lotion!
  • AREA: Northwest Area
  • COG#: 12569
  • Membership Level: Active
Re: 2008 concours 14 engine heat burning legs.
« Reply #1 on: June 19, 2018, 11:24:12 am »
Wear some pants....
2013 ZG-1400, 2005 ZX-10R (Nekkid), 2012 TW-200, 1999 TW-200....and more to come.

Offline Syxxphive

• Bicycle
  • AREA: Southwest Area
  • COG#: 12672
« Reply #2 on: June 19, 2018, 02:13:30 pm »
Look up the “coolant cocktail”. Many users have had luck with it in reducing heat as it allows the radiator to work more efficiently. You could also switch to a coolant like engine ice as it will have the same effect. The radiator works better so the fans don’t come on as often or as long.

Offline Paulc_FL

• Tricycle
« Reply #3 on: June 20, 2018, 12:11:33 am »
Wear pants? You must be from the northwest. Very hot in Florida in June and July. Pants for sure but the heat is radiating off the tank, fairings, ect. I was hoping for more help than wear pants. But this is my second day on this site. Is this is the kind if advice I can expect?

Offline gpd323

• Crotch Rocket
  • COG#: Forum
« Reply #4 on: June 20, 2018, 12:17:30 am »
I think Murph sells a kit to keep the lower faring heat off your legs for the early gen C14? Its like a foam seal between the fairings and engine. I did the same on my ZX14 which slowly cooked my lower legs and feet in high outside temps.

I bought some house door foam sealer insulation and applied it to the inside of the fairings to block the heat. Works well.
Greg Downing
Beautiful Downtown Spanaway
Washington State

Ride while you can.

Offline Paulc_FL

• Tricycle
« Reply #5 on: June 20, 2018, 12:18:01 am »
Thanks Syxxphive. I'll look into the Cocktail.

Offline Steve in Sunny Fla

• Industry Member
  • I Need a Life
  • COG#: 6977
« Reply #6 on: June 20, 2018, 12:44:25 am »
Wear pants? You must be from the northwest. Very hot in Florida in June and July. Pants for sure but the heat is radiating off the tank, fairings, ect. I was hoping for more help than wear pants. But this is my second day on this site. Is this is the kind if advice I can expect?

As maybe you can tell, I'm in Fl also. The coolant cocktail is the best help you can get for getting the engine to shed heat. The issue you're dealing with is the engine heat shedding on YOU. I get it, i had an 09 first, and now a 12. The real issue with the 8-9 is that even if you get the heat from the lower fairing deflected off, you still get the heat that escapes between the tank and side fairings that cooks your inner thighs. In this, the real answer IS to wear pants and not shorts.  I think there could be some advantage to getting some foam under the tank / side panel joint to help stop the airflow, but i'm not aware of any kit for that area.

Do your due diligence, read and search before you start changing stuff, and you'll find out that folks are here to help.

Steve
C-14 ECU flashing for performance and rideability enhancement
C-10 Carb work , cams, & performance enhancements
 " Modifications for sport-tourers, BY a sport-tourer"
https://sites.google.com/site/shoodabenengineering/home

Offline ZXtasy

• Road Bike
« Reply #7 on: June 20, 2018, 01:44:49 am »
Awe shucks, I was just trying to be light hearted, however it is a proven scientific fact that some sort of covering will insulate from heat and reduce evaporation dehydration. Not claiming you are one of the un-geared, but us from the northern climes see plenty of photographic evidence that riders in the hot humid parts tend to 'dress down'. No offense intended, just valid advice.

You could provide a few more details, you say you 'just bought it' so is that to assume it is a brand new 2018? Is it just new to you but years of age that could see radiator fin occlusion or neglect from PO's?  Big motors run hot, and then cover that up in a tasty plastic shell and it can become a steamer. I use water wetter and just distilled water and noticed a drop in overall running temps, but even on a 75 degree day lots of stop and go traffic will see the temp gauge peg out and the fan run a lot. My advice is to try to keep moving as fast as possible in clean air, not tucked behind larger rigs.

Lets see pics of your Florida Freeway Flogger!
2013 ZG-1400, 2005 ZX-10R (Nekkid), 2012 TW-200, 1999 TW-200....and more to come.

Offline ZXtasy

• Road Bike
« Reply #8 on: June 20, 2018, 01:46:09 am »
Sorry, again, now I see the title says 2008. Look into having the radiator serviced/refurbished by Mylers radiator in Utah.

Offline NYbiomed

• Street Cruiser
  • AREA: Northeast Area
« Reply #9 on: June 20, 2018, 09:47:54 am »
I sometimes feel my “chestnuts are getting roasted” too on my 2009, fortunately here in the NE it’s not usu too bad and even sometimes rather nice in the cooler weather. I could’ve sworn I’ve seen foam deflector kits that might help. Some have also stated that SISF’s flash allows their bike to run a bit cooler, but that may be just another small reason to get it anyways  :motonoises:

I think I also recall some people using some Dynamat with the reflective Mylar to help redirect heat away from that area- between the tank and frame...

Hope this helps some and welcome aboard!
2002 Honda VTR1000F SuperHawk
2009 Kawasaki Concours 14 ABS
1999 Suzuki Katana 750   1993 Yamaha Seca II
1990 Kawasaki EX500      1983 Honda CB1000 Custom

Online AmphibSailor

• Hooligan
  • Street Cruiser
  • I am what I am and that's all that I am!
  • AREA: South Central Area
  • COG#: 12210
« Reply #10 on: June 20, 2018, 10:06:56 am »
I have the foam inserts between the fairing and the engine.  I added the double faced mylar bubble wrap (commonly called radiant barrier) between the engine and the fuel tank.  I also put a full Area P system on...which removed the catalytic converter(s).  All seemed to help cool my '09 down. :)
09 Concours aka 'The Cruncher:' Corbin Canyon Dual Sport (Laam for longer trips, Laam modded Corbin Modular with Smuggler for mid-length trips), Top Blocks, Penske 8983, Traxxion AK20s, Helibars Horizon ST bars w/Galfer SS +6 cables, MRA Vario Touring Windscreen/Madstad brackets (Copper Dawg sport screen for summer), Area P full system, throttle tamer, Steve's Flash.  

Offline Egodriver71

• Street Cruiser
  • I'm in here somewhere
  • COG#: 8321
  • Membership Level: Asst. Area Director
« Reply #11 on: June 20, 2018, 10:30:04 am »
I ride mine in FL almost daily.

Pants help A LOT, they insulate your legs from the heat coming back.

There are also other benefits to wearing pants, but you're an adult and you can make that determination.

Also, mine is an `09.  And I don't wear my mesh pants anymore because of the heat.

Another option is removal of the cat in the header, or using the ZX-14 header/exhaust that doesn't have the cat in the header.

Also, plan your routes so you tend to keep moving.  I commute daily, so I make sure to choose routes where the likelihood of me keeping moving is the best.

Oh and get an `08-`09 windshield, perfect for in the summer here in FL.
Thomas Mann
Jacksonville, FL

COG #8321

1930 Indian 101 Scout (the first bike)(still in the garage)
1986 Yamaha Radian (the first modern bike)(Sold)
1996 Kawasaki Vulcan 500LTD (the wife's first bike)
1996 Kawasaki Eliminator (Wife's)
1999 Kawasaki Concours (The Warbird)
2006 Kawasaki Vuclan 900 (Wife's)
2009 Kawasaki Concours 14 (Totaled)
2009 Kawasaki Concours 14 (Second Chance)

Online MAN OF BLUES

• I Need a Life
  • AREA: North Central Area
  • COG#: 5977
« Reply #12 on: June 20, 2018, 06:22:27 pm »
having owned an '08 since 7/7/07, and prior was riding an '86 C10, all I can say is owning and wearing my Aerostich 2 piece Roadcrafter suit, while hot when sitting, offered me heat free legs since day one...
Mesh sucks when it's on your legs, especially with shorts being worn under.
Some people insist mesh is cooler, and on the upper body, if fully in te airflow of cooler air, it is; but on the legs, mesh is mesh, ALL air, hot or cold, is directed INTO the skin.
I also wear shin high m/c protective boots, this combo of boots and Stich prevents hot air from ever touching my lower legs, the best 'insulation' against hot or cold air, is a 'trapped layer' of air against your skin.. so if you wear mesh, all of the 'air' flowing to your skin is hot... make sense?, even wearing jeans under mesh, still is only providing a minimum buffer zone against the skin.
The gen I ('08-'09's) came with foam baffles and blockage 'pads', and also aluma coated heat reflective panels installed, but if someone took the plastic off, and did not use care when reinstalling them, they most likely are not positioned correctly to afford the sealed in 'ducting' to channel the heat out the side vents as designed. A few minutes of examination, and repositioning to make sure they are not just pushed in, but also sealing off the big opening along the backside may improve things.
So don't take the comment "wear pants" as a joke, it really does matter, as it's another layer to prevent heat from actually reaching the skin...
The Aerostich has a robust double thickness construction on the lower legs, and also has an inner thin smooth liner, which makes a 3 layer area to prevent (hot) air from skin (well, 4 layers if you count the waterproof goretex membrane).... so, while people think it's too 'hot' to wear something like that, it's really the opposite when 170* air is pouring against it... I wear shorts under in hot weather, and when I reach my destination, my Stich comes off in 10 seconds... it's protective gear, and not a style show to be worn while walking around and kicking tires, and socializing.

30 YEARS OF KAW.....Rich R. (the other one..)  COG 5977  JUSTAMEMBAHNOW
and if you are gonna call me names... it's MR. Analdweeb if you please...

Offline diablo6v

• Scooter
« Reply #13 on: June 20, 2018, 06:58:53 pm »
I have an '09. One of the PO's or a dealer who had the bike before me installed a few of the heat blocking pads incorrectly. Three were actually missing. [Ron Ayers- Microfiche] I replaced all of them last summer, even the little sticker pads, it wasn't cheap. The black foam pad stuff just disintegrated in my hands after 9yrs on the bike. This dropped my heat levels one solid bar on the gauge. It also made the glove box a lot cooler; now that the heat is going where it is was designed to by Kawasaki. I do have a set of Zshields you can have for free or pay the shipping. HTH.  :) :)

Offline Phil

• Training Wheels
« Reply #14 on: June 21, 2018, 12:15:57 am »

I have a 2009 and never really found the heat to be an issue. I do wear riding pants though, and boots. I have ridden in Florida and hotter areas. Two Summers I lived where it was usually in the upper 90s and lower 100s and it really wasn't a problem, nor has it been for tours in the heat. Obviously on the road it is better than in traffic. Good boots help immensely. If you are wearing sneakers or some other casual shoe, your feet will feel the heat.

Offline lather

• Street Cruiser
    • West Florida Republic Riders Club
  • COG#: 10690
« Reply #15 on: June 21, 2018, 07:57:49 pm »
I have experimented with removing the louvers. This only changes which part of your leg gets the heat. Assuming you are wearing mesh pants the hot air shoots through the mesh and cooks your legs. With my old mesh pants I was happier without the louvers because the hot air hit my knees and I they were shielded by armor. My new mesh pants that fit much better work better with the louvers on.

Heat on my legs is not nearly as big a deal as the heat that builds up after 3 or 4 hours in the seat. I have found no solution for this except standing up on the pegs to get some breeze on the boys.

Offline freebird6

• Street Cruiser
  • COG#: 11012
« Reply #16 on: June 22, 2018, 01:21:22 am »

Oh and get an `08-`09 windshield, perfect for in the summer here in FL.

saw one of those over on the other forum. I keep one up in the barn and put it on in hot weather when the Cee Bailey is just too big.

http://www.zggtr.org/index.php?topic=23459.0;topicseen

Offline turbojoe78_MA

• Street Cruiser
  • COG#: 8645
« Reply #17 on: June 22, 2018, 10:22:38 am »

Heat on my legs is not nearly as big a deal as the heat that builds up after 3 or 4 hours in the seat. I have found no solution for this except standing up on the pegs to get some breeze on the boys.

Have you ever tried a beaded seat cover?  The one I have will get some cool air under your butt on cold mornings.

https://www.beadrider.com/product/classic-seat-front-seat-only/
1968 Honda 160 Scrambler,  Sold / 1979 Kawasaki SR 650, Traded in for next one,  1978 Kawasaki KZ 1000 Z1R Turbo Sold / 1986 Kawasaki ZX 1000R Ninja / 1999 Kawasaki Concours / 2014 Kawasaki Concours 1400  COG memb# 8645

Offline lather

• Street Cruiser
    • West Florida Republic Riders Club
  • COG#: 10690
« Reply #18 on: June 22, 2018, 11:27:49 am »

Have you ever tried a beaded seat cover?  The one I have will get some cool air under your butt on cold mornings.

https://www.beadrider.com/product/classic-seat-front-seat-only/

Yeas, I wore one out in fact. Does help a little, time for a new one.

Offline RoadKillHeaven

• How hard can it be? 。◕‿◕。
  • Road Bike
« Reply #19 on: June 23, 2018, 12:07:58 am »
Once weather turned warm in Seattle, I can see a lot of "squids" wearing shorts and sandals riding around.
AGAT is the "pledge" I've given when I started riding motorbikes. Heck, I wear armour when riding my Trek Sessions. And if you know bicycling, then you know you'll sweat profusely when hoofing it.
There is no excuse in the world not to wear pants when riding a motorbike.

Cheers... 

Offline turbojoe78_MA

• Street Cruiser
  • COG#: 8645
« Reply #20 on: June 23, 2018, 11:41:13 am »
Once weather turned warm in Seattle, I can see a lot of "squids" wearing shorts and sandals riding around.
AGAT is the "pledge" I've given when I started riding motorbikes. Heck, I wear armour when riding my Trek Sessions. And if you know bicycling, then you know you'll sweat profusely when hoofing it.
There is no excuse in the world not to wear pants when riding a motorbike.

Cheers...

Thank god we live in the good old US of A where we still have freedom of choice (for some things) and I don't need an excuse to wear shorts, if I want to.
1968 Honda 160 Scrambler,  Sold / 1979 Kawasaki SR 650, Traded in for next one,  1978 Kawasaki KZ 1000 Z1R Turbo Sold / 1986 Kawasaki ZX 1000R Ninja / 1999 Kawasaki Concours / 2014 Kawasaki Concours 1400  COG memb# 8645

Offline ConcoursKZ

• Sport Tourer
« Reply #21 on: June 23, 2018, 01:01:19 pm »

Cheers...

Thank god we live in the good old US of A where we still have freedom of choice (for some things) and I don't need an excuse to wear shorts, if I want to.

+1,000,000
2008 Concours ABS 1976 KZ 900 B1   CDA#387
“Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety.”

Offline Paulc_FL

• Tricycle
« Reply #22 on: June 23, 2018, 08:16:18 pm »
Looks like I have foam in the engine next to the fairing please see picture. Is this the phone people are talking about? Seems to me that this is causing the heat to go upward around the tank.

Offline rcannon409

• Street Cruiser
  • AREA: Southwest Area
  • COG#: 9616
« Reply #23 on: June 23, 2018, 09:36:05 pm »
Paulc, I had those foam inserts, and used them for several years.  I thought a member here, sold me mine, but I might be wrong. You can still get them, on ebay.

In ways, they were an improvement.  The hot air no longer hit your lower legs, but it did make the fuel tank get HOT. If the tank was full, it helped, but there were times when I was concerned.

This year, I removed my pads.. These pads, adnd wraps we tried were just band-aids for the real problem. With Ivans flash, Ive had mine in 101 degree temps, and the heat has not bothered me. Its much improved. Sadly, I can no longer cook food, on my fuel tank.......I guess you cant have everything.

Ivans Ecu reflash, Brembo front rotors

Online MAN OF BLUES

• I Need a Life
  • COG#: 5977
« Reply #24 on: June 23, 2018, 10:30:23 pm »
Paulc, I had those foam inserts, and used them for several years.  I thought a member here, sold me mine, but I might be wrong. You can still get them, on ebay.

In ways, they were an improvement.  The hot air no longer hit your lower legs, but it did make the fuel tank get HOT. If the tank was full, it helped, but there were times when I was concerned.

This year, I removed my pads.. These pads, adnd wraps we tried were just band-aids for the real problem. With Ivans flash, Ive had mine in 101 degree temps, and the heat has not bothered me. Its much improved. Sadly, I can no longer cook food, on my fuel tank.......I guess you cant have everything.

SERIOUSLY?
ok, I understand a few things, and sometimes I get confused.. but sometimes, the clarity is profound...

his picture, shows the OEM installed baffles, that came from the factory on his bike. I'm pretty familiar with them, as I've removed, and re-installed my complete fairing assembly a dozen or more times, while doing maintenance on my machine...to keep it running as nice as the day I purchased it.... when in place, they do what they were intended for.
Sometimes people "push" on them, and move them forward, and away from sealing alongside the engine, and they can be easily re positioned... they force the hot air out those HUGE holes in the side of the mid fairing... removing them will let all that flow on your shins...
I'm simply amazed that my bike which I purchased 7/7/07, has not roasted my legs, boiled my gas tank dry... and had it explode...as a result.

ride safe

Caveat Emptor.
E Pluribus Unum
Semper Fi

« Last Edit: June 25, 2018, 04:56:49 pm by MAN OF BLUES »

30 YEARS OF KAW.....Rich R. (the other one..)  COG 5977  JUSTAMEMBAHNOW
and if you are gonna call me names... it's MR. Analdweeb if you please...