Author Topic: 2008 concours 14 engine heat burning legs.  (Read 2706 times)

Offline RoadKillHeaven

• How hard can it be? 。◕‿◕。
  • Street Cruiser
  • AREA: Northwest Area
  • COG#: Forum
  • Membership Level: Forum Subscriber
Re: 2008 concours 14 engine heat burning legs.
« Reply #25 on: June 23, 2018, 10:40:13 pm »
Once weather turned warm in Seattle, I can see a lot of "squids" wearing shorts and sandals riding around.
AGAT is the "pledge" I've given when I started riding motorbikes. Heck, I wear armour when riding my Trek Sessions. And if you know bicycling, then you know you'll sweat profusely when hoofing it.
There is no excuse in the world not to wear pants when riding a motorbike.

Cheers...

Thank god we live in the good old US of A where we still have freedom of choice (for some things) and I don't need an excuse to wear shorts, if I want to.
Sadly, common sense is not so common nowadays!

Offline ConcoursKZ

• Sport Tourer
  • AREA: North Central Area
« Reply #26 on: June 24, 2018, 11:18:51 am »
Once weather turned warm in Seattle, I can see a lot of "squids" wearing shorts and sandals riding around.
AGAT is the "pledge" I've given when I started riding motorbikes. Heck, I wear armour when riding my Trek Sessions. And if you know bicycling, then you know you'll sweat profusely when hoofing it.
There is no excuse in the world not to wear pants when riding a motorbike.

Cheers...

Thank god we live in the good old US of A where we still have freedom of choice (for some things) and I don't need an excuse to wear shorts, if I want to.
Sadly, common sense is not so common nowadays!

So I guess what you are saying is that pants will help against the heat?
I agree wearing pants instead of shorts will help with the heat issue.
2008 Concours ABS 1976 KZ 900 B1   CDA#387
“Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety.”

Offline Ivan_ipp

• Industry Member
  • Training Wheels
  • AREA: Northeast Area
  • COG#: 12710
  • Membership Level: Active
« Reply #27 on: June 24, 2018, 11:36:05 am »
The best way to lower the engine temperature is through proper engine tuning.

When tuned properly, it won't transfer as much heat into the cooling system.... just a lot more comfortable for the rider.

Ivan

Offline RoadKillHeaven

• How hard can it be? 。◕‿◕。
  • Street Cruiser
« Reply #28 on: June 24, 2018, 12:24:26 pm »
Some people complain sun is too hot. Whatcagonnado?

Offline Ivan_ipp

• Industry Member
  • Training Wheels
« Reply #29 on: June 24, 2018, 02:19:33 pm »
I read his first post..... engine heat.  :great:

Ivan

Offline MAN OF BLUES

• I Need a Life
  • COG#: 5977
« Reply #30 on: June 24, 2018, 06:08:37 pm »
The best way to lower the engine temperature is through proper engine tuning.

When tuned properly, it won't transfer as much heat into the cooling system.... just a lot more comfortable for the rider.

Ivan

:hum: :confuse:

30 YEARS OF KAW.....Rich R. (the other one..)  COG 5977  JUSTAMEMBAHNOW
and if you are gonna call me names... it's MR. Analdweeb if you please...

Offline Ivan_ipp

• Industry Member
  • Training Wheels
« Reply #31 on: June 25, 2018, 12:15:46 am »
Hum what?

Offline Jeff Kerkow

• Officer
  • Crotch Rocket
  • COG#: 7524
  • Membership Level: Area Director
« Reply #32 on: June 25, 2018, 12:22:56 am »
How are any of you helping the original poster ? Please go back and look at what you have posted and remove it if it does not directly help his question.
Thank you in advance from a moderator.
It's not a competition, It's a demonstration. "Rowan"
COG 7524 IBA 46513 GLMC 214
16 KTM 690R, 11 Concours 14, 07 Ninja 650 R

Offline ron203

• Officer
  • Iron Butt
  • AREA: Southeast Area
  • COG#: 9847
« Reply #33 on: June 25, 2018, 02:53:23 pm »
How are any of you helping the original poster ? Please go back and look at what you have posted and remove it if it does not directly help his question.
Thank you in advance from a moderator.

+1  (from another moderator)

I live in Ga and it's just hot (and humid) here. It's NOT a dry heat. If you ride, you sweat, because the fact of the matter is that some days it's REALLY hot, like yesterday, today, and probably tomorrow. Some insulation against heat transfer, like long pants under riding pants, helps. But it's still hot. You ride a C-14, you've got a BIG  heat generator between your legs no matter what you do unless you're coasting downhill with the engine off and then it's STILL 95 degrees or whatever. That's hot. My son said to me one day when we were out and saw a bike go by, "Must be cooler on that motorcycle." I told him, "Nope, it's still 95 out there and the pavement is 120."

Some days, I just take the cage....
« Last Edit: June 25, 2018, 07:06:19 pm by ron203, Reason: typo »
2014 C-14
2008 Goldwing

Offline NukeWorker

• Bicycle
  • AREA: South Central Area
  • COG#: 11420
« Reply #34 on: June 25, 2018, 04:01:48 pm »
I've always been of the opinion that even if its 102F , going fast lowers the temperature by at least 15 degrees  :)).  Or maybe I just don't notice it as much cause I'm so busy trying to hang on?  :rotflmao:

But seriously.  I'm in Texas, it's hot, it's humid, stop and go traffic sucks.  The best your going to do is protect yourself from the sun and the wind, stay hydrated, apply farkles as applicable.
2013 Concours 14 Black
Previous Bikes:
2002 V-Star 1100 Classic Silverado
1990 Kawasaki Vulcan 500

Offline rcannon409

• Street Cruiser
  • AREA: Southwest Area
« Reply #35 on: June 25, 2018, 07:24:32 pm »
Paulc, I wanted to give you an update.

I have had my Ivans Flash since last August, but by the time I really spent much time on it, it was Sept, and out ambient temperatures had dropped.   Earlier int he thread, I said the flash helped with my heat issue. It helped enough that I really never thought about it, anymore.  That was in temps closer to the 70-80 degree range.

Way back in 2010, I added a power commander and the fuel moto map.  The bike ran better, and was more powerful, but the throttle still sucked.  Jerky, snatch, and unpleasant.  A slight improvement , over stock, but power only. Not in its overall manners. No change in heat.

With that in mind, I decided to try and give you some better info, and tell you how my bike was, today.

I left home with less than 1/2 of a tank full of fuel. Before the flash, I would have stopped and filled it.  With more fuel, onboard, the tank heated up slower than is did , empty.

94 degrees, today.  I ride 30 highway miles. We have an 80 mile speed limit, so we will pretend I stayed right at that limit.   I took the exit I needed, and that left 12 miles of stop-n-go traffic. 

Before the flash, I would have been going out of my way not to heat the bike more than I had to..I did not do that, today, I worked on creating as much heat, as possible. 

The temp gauge stayed in the middle position, for the most part. When I stopped, it would sometimes light the bar, above e middle, but the fan soon took care of that, If the fan did not have enough time, the gauge dropped to the middle position as soon as it was  in motion. I was happy.  Although the tank did get warm, it was nothing like the past.

I could honestly swear to a 1-2 bar improvement.

Ivans Ecu reflash, Brembo front rotors

Offline Cali Cruiser

• Training Wheels
  • AREA: Southwest Area
  • COG#: 12770
« Reply #36 on: June 25, 2018, 08:08:56 pm »
I can attest to the one and two bar improvement. I was under the impression I was imagining it but it turns out that’s truly the case. Fan does come on earlier in traffic of course now but it seems that the usual temp when arriving at those lights is far less and it does seem to remain at cooler temps all the while. It’s already plenty hot here in California. Thanks for reminding me of that whole affair Cannon and putting it out there for the OP. Just my 02. Sorry, I forgot to mention that I too have the Ivans Performance flash.

Offline Busaboyz

• Tricycle
« Reply #37 on: June 25, 2018, 10:28:10 pm »
I bought a used 2008 C14 about a year ago. 29K miles. I live in central FL and usually drive in shorts. I've had many bikes in my life and have been riding continuously since 1974. I presently have the C14 and a Yamaha Stratoliner (1850cc). I sold my Triumph Rocket III (2300cc) the day I bought my C14. Previously I had a Kawasaki VN2000 (2050cc), Yamaha FZ1 (1000cc) and a Suzuki Hayabusa (1300cc). NONE of these bikes EVER burned my legs like the C14 does.

I took off the plastic bodywork to see if the foam seals were out of whack and found nothing wrong. Very little airflow seems to come out of the side vents at speed unlike my Hayabusa. This alone says volumes about the poor design.  All I can say is the C14 has the absolute WORST heat management of any bike I have ever owned in my life. I'm not sure I can survive another summer with two heat guns burning up my calfs.

Offline MAN OF BLUES

• I Need a Life
« Reply #38 on: June 25, 2018, 10:46:54 pm »
I bought a used 2008 C14 about a year ago. 29K miles. I live in central FL and usually drive in shorts. ....the poor design.  All I can say is the C14 has the absolute WORST heat management of any bike I have ever owned in my life. I'm not sure I can survive another summer with two heat guns burning up my calfs.

not much a person can say other than, if it's sooo bad, might want to ditch it.

or buy one of those Re-Flashed ECU things...

First post? picked a good one... :rotflmao: :rotflmao:

hope that helps, but I do respect your viewpoint, and hope things go better for you.

"to effect the quality of the day, that is the highest of the arts".... I heard that from a book.
« Last Edit: June 25, 2018, 10:55:29 pm by MAN OF BLUES »

Offline Paulc_FL

• Tricycle
  • COG#: forum
« Reply #39 on: June 28, 2018, 02:21:47 am »
Took a short ride down A1A. About 30 miles round trip. Averaged 50 to 55 mph in OD.
Bike was at one bar most of the time however slowing down for lights etc went to 2 and 3 bars. Took a couple pics of temps when I got home. Outside temp was 79 degrees.

Offline Paulc_FL

• Tricycle
« Reply #40 on: June 28, 2018, 02:25:52 am »
Last couple of pictures.
I'm worried glove box is so hot it's gonna fry key fob. I dont leave cell phone in there anymore.

Offline Paulc_FL

• Tricycle
« Reply #41 on: June 28, 2018, 02:38:39 am »
I bought a used 2008 C14 about a year ago. 29K miles. I live in central FL and usually drive in shorts. I've had many bikes in my life and have been riding continuously since 1974. I presently have the C14 and a Yamaha Stratoliner (1850cc). I sold my Triumph Rocket III (2300cc) the day I bought my C14. Previously I had a Kawasaki VN2000 (2050cc), Yamaha FZ1 (1000cc) and a Suzuki Hayabusa (1300cc). NONE of these bikes EVER burned my legs like the C14 does.

I took off the plastic bodywork to see if the foam seals were out of whack and found nothing wrong. Very little airflow seems to come out of the side vents at speed unlike my Hayabusa. This alone says volumes about the poor design.  All I can say is the C14 has the absolute WORST heat management of any bike I have ever owned in my life. I'm not sure I can survive another summer with two heat guns burning up my calfs.

I feel ya. This is my first C14. Live the bike. Quiet and smooth but the heat might be to much. I'd hate to own a bike I can  only ride Dec, Jan , Feb.
I rode down to Daytona Beach the other day. Right pant leg was cooking. 80 mph is doable but come on.

Offline TimR

• Global Moderator
  • Iron Butt
  • COG#: 9032
  • Membership Level: Asst. Area Director
« Reply #42 on: June 28, 2018, 09:34:37 am »
The key Fob should go into a deep or zipped pocket. After you loose a Fob or know someone who has lost a Fob you will under stand rather quickly. And most everyone with a 8 or 9 don't keep electrics in the glove box that I know of.  The fob is pretty tuff though. I've washed mine a couple of times.   
Blue 1975 Z1B 900, Red 09 C14     I might not be perfect but at least I don't ride a Suzuki

Offline ron203

• Officer
  • Iron Butt
  • COG#: 9847
« Reply #43 on: June 28, 2018, 11:59:13 am »
I know a lot of guys who have the active fob on a lanyard or heavy cord/kevlar/strong fishing line, etc and they loop it around their belt and tuck it in a pocket. Walk away from the bike and it goes with you. My technique.

Unfortunately, I had to re-learn to take the switch key out of my other bike because I kept "walking away" without pulling it (from other bike). Good/bad habit.

2014 C-14
2008 Goldwing

Offline PeteTN_zgtr

• Moped
« Reply #44 on: June 29, 2018, 02:16:47 am »
Paul, cool gadget! (your meter).  Some interesting finding on my 08.

I didn't have any problems with the body work and frame between my legs getting hot or even warm enough to bother me through regular jeans. My glove box got hotter than I wanted, so I insulated the bottom and sides of the lower portion of it. That helped get it where it's just barely warm so I felt OK putting my phone in there. Well immediately after that the panels and frame near my legs got noticeably hotter.  My speculation after giving it some thought and seeing this thread is that the insulation on the bottom of the glovebox is against the top of the frame not letting heat escape off the frame at that location, so the entire frame is running hotter. Being aluminum heat conducts really well through the frame. So it occurred to me the other day to try riding with the glove box off and observing the fairing/frame temperatures near my legs but we've had thunderstorms here all week. I'm thinking/hoping that the top of the frame will be very warm (well we know it is) and the rear of the frame will be cooler due to more heat escaping through the top of the frame. It would be interesting if you tried it.

The other major issue is the fairing outlets just being too close to the rider's legs and the angled hot wings funneling hot air right to the lower leg area, as well as being too narrow to blow the air out from the legs. I tried a prototype set up with the hot wings removed and cardboard airfoils at 90 deg to the road and it worked fairly well to blow the hot air out off the legs. I did block off 2 or 3 of the lower fairing openings with foam so the airfoil didn't have to be huge. That may aggravate the frame heating problem but I'm not sure about that. The engine didn't seem to run hotter, at least no indication on the temp gauge. Those fairing outlets and hot wings on the gen 1 look really cool but they're STUPID STUPID for rider comfort.

Good luck
Pete

Offline Busaboyz

• Tricycle
« Reply #45 on: June 29, 2018, 09:27:45 pm »
I've owned multiple water cooled bikes with full fairings. All had the side vents. Unfortunately they are close to useless on the C14 when compared to my GSXR 1100 and Hayabusa 1300. It is what it is, very poor design. 

Offline MAN OF BLUES

• I Need a Life
« Reply #46 on: June 29, 2018, 11:50:56 pm »
so, on a positive note, anything about the c14 you like?

Offline PeteTN_zgtr

• Moped
« Reply #47 on: June 30, 2018, 12:47:10 am »
I like the smooth engine and ergonomics and power. But with regard to airflow through the fairing on the gen 1, Kawi just didn't finish their engineering homework. Neutron silver color is cool too.

Anyway it was a hot dry day here, so I tried what I suggested, riding with glovebox completely removed. I think my speculation was wrong. The frame was hot but the fairings near my legs were about as hot as normal. So my "insulated glove box preventing the frame from cooling" theory is probably wrong. Adding the insulation likely affected/restricted airflow to the mid fairing cavity. Sticking my hand at the top of that cavity while riding; it's hot! So the unmodified glove box must help deliver airflow to that area. Tomorrow I'll try the top of the glove box without the bottom. It appears that may increase air flow to the fairing cavity appreciably. We'll see.

Putting my hand where the front of the glove box would have been today, there is airflow coming up around the steering stem, top triple tree.

Offline Steve in Sunny Fla

• Industry Member
  • I Need a Life
  • COG#: 6977
« Reply #48 on: June 30, 2018, 01:01:20 am »
I like the smooth engine and ergonomics and power. But with regard to airflow through the fairing on the gen 1, Kawi just didn't finish their engineering homework. Neutron silver color is cool too.

Anyway it was a hot dry day here, so I tried what I suggested, riding with glovebox completely removed. I think my speculation was wrong. The frame was hot but the fairings near my legs were about as hot as normal. So my "insulated glove box preventing the frame from cooling" theory is probably wrong. Adding the insulation likely affected/restricted airflow to the mid fairing cavity. Sticking my hand at the top of that cavity while riding; it's hot! So the unmodified glove box must help deliver airflow to that area. Tomorrow I'll try the top of the glove box without the bottom. It appears that may increase air flow to the fairing cavity appreciably. We'll see.

Putting my hand where the front of the glove box would have been today, there is airflow coming up around the steering stem, top triple tree.

It's really nice to see folks doing experiments and sharing results. just remember that you're going to fail much more than succeed, but that's part of the deal.  Congrats for putting in the effort  :great: Steve
C-14 ECU flashing for performance and rideability enhancement
C-10 Carb work , cams, & performance enhancements
 " Modifications for sport-tourers, BY a sport-tourer"
https://sites.google.com/site/shoodabenengineering/home

Offline PeteTN_zgtr

• Moped
« Reply #49 on: June 30, 2018, 11:58:41 pm »
Thanks Steve, yeah I know all about the failures.

Anyway, I rode this morning with just the glove box top in place without the lower tray. It was early enough to still be pretty cool, low 70's. I'd say still no change. The left side got warm enough to start to be warmer than comfortable. Not bad but still it was about 8:30am.  Maybe I need to break down and pull the insulation off the bottom of the glove box and see if it's about like it was prior to doing anything. Fairing was warm but never uncomfortable. Glove box too hot for anything fragile. My new phone won't fit in there anyway! I'll let you all know if anything changes.

thanks,
Pete