Author Topic: another fob question  (Read 775 times)

Offline Extant

• Tricycle
  • AREA: Northeast Area
  • COG#: 10278
  • Membership Level: Active
another fob question
« on: August 13, 2012, 05:59:54 pm »
I traded in my '08 for a new, black 2012 Connie on Saturday.  The difference is enormous, especially regarding engine heat.  I also greatly prefer the stock seat and windshield to the Sargent and tall Bailey WS of the '08. There's more, but not for this post.

I only surrendered one of two fobs that came with the used '08 purchase  simply because I didn't bring both along when I whimsically decided to visit a dealer.

So, surprised at being issued just one full fob/key  along with the little thing for the new bike.......can I have the second, old fob reprogrammed to be an add'l. device for the new bike ( and just discard the key) ??? I don't see why not, unless "they" refuse to do so.  I have done this previously with a car.

I'm experiencing an annoying time delay  with the new fob, anywhere from 5-20 seconds.  Yes,  I have replaced the battery with a very new one, hoping to see a difference. Unfortunately, no change.   Replacing both batteries on the '08 after purchasing it (only 5 months ago.....could NOT take the heat) made an immediate, sizable improvement.  Frankly,  I don't get the fob thing, at all, and would have been happy with a simple key.

Offline Mad River Marc

• Sport Tourer
  • COG#: 8442
Re: another fob question
« Reply #1 on: August 13, 2012, 06:09:06 pm »
Not unless you have the plastic baggie the original 2nd Fob came in.   there is a code on that bag you need in order to program the FOB to the bike,  without it you cannot program the FOB to the bike.

Ps, congrats on the new ride :)
You only need two tools in life – WD-40 and duct tape. If it doesn’t move and should, use the WD-40. If it shouldn’t move and does, use the duct tape.

Offline BDF

• Iron Butt
  • COG#: Forum
  • Membership Level: Forum Subscriber
« Reply #2 on: August 13, 2012, 06:22:50 pm »
What Marc said- not unless you have the code that came with the fob and that is not the usual case.

Just a thought but you could be a sport and mail the old fob to the new owner of the '08 or the dealer; it will not do you any good to keep it and it might cause the new owner some grief and / or additional expense by not having it.

I would not normally address the rest of your KiPass comments on this forum because.... well I just would not. But today I am on a COG / KiPass roll already so here goes:

The delay you are experiencing in KiPass is that system's response to the negative emotions you have toward the system. The newest versions of KiPass can sense nearby emotions, both positive and negative in nature. The system is simply mulling over whether to start the bike for you or not on a case- by- case basis and factors in where you are (how inconvenient it would be to strand you right now), the socioeconomic climate of the immediate area (is it a 'bad' neighborhood), the current weather (is it raining the proverbial cats and dogs), etc. etc. My advice to you would be to think happy KiPass thoughts because the system is plotting against you and merely waiting for the most inopportune time to refuse you key turning rights. Further, this new version also has the ability to instantly transport you far enough away from the bike so that it again feels safe; sort of like that Bill Mumy episode of The Twilight Zone where he could simply wish people away and they disappeared. We don't know exactly where the 'bad people' went but it was clearly not a good place.

Brian

I traded in my '08 for a new, black 2012 Connie on Saturday.  The difference is enormous, especially regarding engine heat.  I also greatly prefer the stock seat and windshield to the Sargent and tall Bailey WS of the '08. There's more, but not for this post.

I only surrendered one of two fobs that came with the used '08 purchase  simply because I didn't bring both along when I whimsically decided to visit a dealer.

So, surprised at being issued just one full fob/key  along with the little thing for the new bike.......can I have the second, old fob reprogrammed to be an add'l. device for the new bike ( and just discard the key) ??? I don't see why not, unless "they" refuse to do so.  I have done this previously with a car.

I'm experiencing an annoying time delay  with the new fob, anywhere from 5-20 seconds.  Yes,  I have replaced the battery with a very new one, hoping to see a difference. Unfortunately, no change.   Replacing both batteries on the '08 after purchasing it (only 5 months ago.....could NOT take the heat) made an immediate, sizable improvement.  Frankly,  I don't get the fob thing, at all, and would have been happy with a simple key.
KiPass keeping you up at night? Has the low fuel warning burned your retinas? Find peace, harmony and the answer to these problems. www.incontrolne.com

Offline Mad River Marc

• Sport Tourer
  • COG#: 8442
« Reply #3 on: August 13, 2012, 06:44:03 pm »
 :rotflmao:

Actually I've had that happen once or twice with my system,  usually in the same physical location so I am guessing that there is some RF interference in the air blocking the RF signal.

If you use the RFID portion of the system does it still take 15-20 seconds to activate?
You only need two tools in life – WD-40 and duct tape. If it doesn’t move and should, use the WD-40. If it shouldn’t move and does, use the duct tape.

Offline tonywaters

• Mini Bike
  • AREA: Southeast Area
  • COG#: 9232
« Reply #4 on: August 13, 2012, 07:22:30 pm »
The delay you are experiencing in KiPass is that system's response to the negative emotions you have toward the system. The newest versions of KiPass can sense nearby emotions, both positive and negative in nature. The system is simply mulling over whether to start the bike for you or not on a case- by- case basis and factors in where you are (how inconvenient it would be to strand you right now), the socioeconomic climate of the immediate area (is it a 'bad' neighborhood), the current weather (is it raining the proverbial cats and dogs), etc. etc. My advice to you would be to think happy KiPass thoughts because the system is plotting against you and merely waiting for the most inopportune time to refuse you key turning rights. Further, this new version also has the ability to instantly transport you far enough away from the bike so that it again feels safe; sort of like that Bill Mumy episode of The Twilight Zone where he could simply wish people away and they disappeared. We don't know exactly where the 'bad people' went but it was clearly not a good place.

Brian

:rotflmao:  Good One BDF
Tony Waters
CDA#0396
AMA, AOPA, BMWCCA, COG, NRA, SOTLOTP