Author Topic: 2008 Potential Owner - Blanket Questions  (Read 2805 times)

Offline Alekkas

• Street Cruiser
  • AREA: North Central Area
  • COG#: 10513
  • Membership Level: Expired - Expired Term
2008 Potential Owner - Blanket Questions
« on: June 09, 2015, 03:49:43 pm »
Hi all.  May be heading back to the Concours fold - but with a C14 this time.  Looking at a 2008.  16K miles.  Pretty serious about it.  May be buying it Friday.  Currently, everything works.

Bags - lock them, make sure they are on tight before traveling.  DO they really fall off?

TPMS - are the '08 style the ones where batteries are easily changed?  If not and batteries die, ok to ride forever without replacing?

FOBS - bike is coming with two of them.  Does just leaving the FOB in the center storage pocket and forget about it wear down the battery?  Are batteries easily replaced as preventative for problems?  What if problem while in the desert miles away from anywhere?

Rim Removal - pretty easy to do at home with center stand and jack?  Special tools required?  (I take them off at home and get them mounted at a shop)

Recalls - are there any recalls that should have been done I should check on?

ABS - this has non linked ABS.  Reviews of it seem positive.

It gets hot, eats back tires, dependable motor that has some good durability history.  Rode one (an 08 as well) and the fun factor, position, etc suits me well. 

Is there a question I should ask that I am missing?

Thanks for ANY input.  Greatly appreciated.   :great:

« Last Edit: June 09, 2015, 03:53:46 pm by Alekkas »
Seagiant needs to post more!
'08 C14 / PGR  / IBA
Some ride reports:
http://leroylanes.blogspot.com/
On two wheels:

Offline Joe

• Road Bike
  • COG#: 10990
  • Membership Level: Active
Re: 2008 Potential Owner - Blanket Questions
« Reply #1 on: June 09, 2015, 04:06:59 pm »
Bags- Pin them and never worry about them coming off.  Also look to see if the latch is orange or red.  Orange is the newer one. 

TPMS- If they have not been changed out, then the older style should be able to change out batteries.  You can go without if you like, but hard to give up once you have them. 

Fobs- Batteries are easy to replace.  I do every year to avoid irritation on the road.  Even with dead batteries in the Fobs, you can still use the passive mode to start bike.

Recalls- You would have to check to see if they are/where done.  I think there where a few.  Rear brake update to keep rocks out of the lever.  Bag latch might have been one of them. 

2012 C14 Black
2001 C10.  SOLD
CDA #444.

Offline Alekkas

• Street Cruiser
« Reply #2 on: June 09, 2015, 04:13:11 pm »
Thanks for the quick reply.  I did some searches before posting and found some great info here.

Will look for the color of the latch.  Saw a thread about the pin - but still have no clue how it works - or how they can fall off in the first place.

Good to hear about the battery options - especially for the fob.  Imagine that becomes regular annual maintenance or something like that. 
'08 C14 / PGR  / IBA
Some ride reports:
On two wheels:

Offline jwh20

• Crotch Rocket
  • COG#: Forum
  • Membership Level: Forum Subscriber
« Reply #3 on: June 09, 2015, 04:26:09 pm »
FOBS - bike is coming with two of them.  Does just leaving the FOB in the center storage pocket and forget about it wear down the battery?  Are batteries easily replaced as preventative for problems?  What if problem while in the desert miles away from anywhere?

Leaving the FOB in the console will not drain the battery any faster than normal.  But it's a bad practice from a security viewpoint.  But as noted you can always start the bike with the passive component of the FOB by following the instructions in the owners manual.  Don't have one?  Get one + a Service Manual.

Rim Removal - pretty easy to do at home with center stand and jack?  Special tools required?  (I take them off at home and get them mounted at a shop)

On the front you need a large HEX driver - I can check on the size.  They have them at Lowes.  You only need one, the other side is the same size but it can be held by the pinch bolts.  The rear is a rather large socket.  They also have these at Lowes but most tool sets don't go that high.  You do need a torque wrench good to > 100 ft-lbs.

Recalls - are there any recalls that should have been done I should check on?

The bag latches have been mentioned.  Orange is GOOD, I thought YELLOW was bad but it may be red.  I've never seen the old type.

It gets hot, eats back tires, dependable motor that has some good durability history.  Rode one (an 08 as well) and the fun factor, position, etc suits me well. 

My personal opinion is that the heat issue is over-rated on 08/09 bikes.  But everyone has their own idea of what's hot.  The OEM tires suck but surely you're not getting an 08 with those.  I like Michelin PR3 or PR4s.

Probably!!
2012 Concours 14 Arabian Red
"Debbie Downer" according to some...

Offline Joe

• Road Bike
  • COG#: 10990
« Reply #4 on: June 09, 2015, 04:35:26 pm »
Thanks for the quick reply.  I did some searches before posting and found some great info here.

Will look for the color of the latch. Saw a thread about the pin - but still have no clue how it works - or how they can fall off in the first place.

Good to hear about the battery options - especially for the fob.  Imagine that becomes regular annual maintenance or something like that.

http://forum.cog-online.org/index.php/topic,59011.msg453203.html#msg453203
My post on the 2nd page has some pictures that should clear it up.
2012 C14 Black
2001 C10.  SOLD
CDA #444.

Offline JeffP

• Jeff In NC
  • Scooter
  • AREA: Southeast Area
  • COG#: 10856
« Reply #5 on: June 09, 2015, 06:13:22 pm »
I have an '08 I bought 3 yrs ago. There were 2 recalls that I am aware of. One for the rear brake lever. The other was for the cargo plate (where guys mount the GIVI trunks). Mine came with a GIVI trunk...but I had the dealer do whatever they did for that. If you have the VIN, you can look up any open recalls here:

http://www.kawasaki.com/OwnerSupport/SafetyRecall

I agree with the others that the heat is subjective. I wear boots and riding pants all the time. So the heat doesn't bother me at all. And, in fact, on cold days is NICE!

Wheels come of easily enough. Make sure you use some anti-seize on the caliper bolts...especially on the front!

With 16k miles on the clock, you'll be looking at a valve adjustment in the near future. I think the service manual recommends the first one around 20k. I did mine at 24k. Did the work myself for a total cost of about $50.

The TPMS sensors in the 08 are the ones where you can disassemble the unit and replace the batteries. It's a hack and not supported by Kawasaki, but for about $5-8 in batteries and some of your time, it's well worth it vs paying mama Kawi something like $400 for new sensors. If you choose NOT to replace the batteries when they die, you will have an annoying message constantly flashing on the dash that hides all the other info in the center of the display. There is a way to suppress that by pushing the buttons on the dash in a certain order, but when you do that, then you have a red light as bright as the sun staring you in the face. And, when you shut the bike off, you get to repeat the process each time on restart.

Check for an oil leak on the front of the motor in the center above the headers. The exhaust cam position sensor is prone to leak oil from the valve cover due to an undersized o-ring. Not a big deal to replace the o-ring. Mine didn't start leaking until about the time I had to do the valve adjustment. So I fixed it when I had her all apart. It's a very slow leak and the oil drips onto the header and is burned up.

I absolutely love mine. It's a great bike that will leave you smiling! Go for it!  :beerchug:
2008 Neutron Silver C14
2007 Honda CRF250R

Offline jonathan

• Road Bike
  • AREA: Northwest Area
« Reply #6 on: June 09, 2015, 06:48:01 pm »

The TPMS sensors in the 08 are the ones where you can disassemble the unit and replace the batteries. It's a hack and not supported by Kawasaki, but for about $5-8 in batteries and some of your time, it's well worth it vs paying mama Kawi something like $400 for new sensors. If you choose NOT to replace the batteries when they die, you will have an annoying message constantly flashing on the dash that hides all the other info in the center of the display. There is a way to suppress that by pushing the buttons on the dash in a certain order, but when you do that, then you have a red light as bright as the sun staring you in the face. And, when you shut the bike off, you get to repeat the process each time on restart.

This isn't completely accurate. When the batteries are low you will get the warning on the dash. Once the batteries are dead the display disappears from the dash completely like you never had Tire Pressure Sensors.
Calgary, Alberta

Offline MAN OF BLUES

• I Need a Life
  • COG#: 5977
« Reply #7 on: June 09, 2015, 07:22:14 pm »
there were 2 recalls on the rear brake actuator hardware, second recall was a completly new improved pushrod

1 recall to replace the rear plastic luggage rack
1 recall to replace the headlight adjuster knobs

along with the bag latch replacement from the original red ones, to the newer orange ones.

30 YEARS OF KAW.....Rich R. (the other one..)  COG 5977  JUSTAMEMBAHNOW
and if you are gonna call me names... it's MR. Analdweeb if you please...

Offline JeffP

• Jeff In NC
  • Scooter
  • COG#: 10856
« Reply #8 on: June 09, 2015, 07:46:34 pm »
Good catch Jonathan. Mine haven't died yet...so I was unaware of that. All I know is that when they are low...the behavior is as I described.
2008 Neutron Silver C14
2007 Honda CRF250R

Offline Alekkas

• Street Cruiser
« Reply #9 on: June 09, 2015, 07:48:02 pm »
Thanks everyone.  I am assuming recalls would still be honored on an 08 - assuming of course they were not done?  Since the rack came up, it does indeed have the Kaw branded OEM (givi) color matched trunk. 

The bike is immaculate and exudes a well cared for vibe, so I wouldn't be surprised if already done.  Anyone have the recall work denied?
'08 C14 / PGR  / IBA
Some ride reports:
On two wheels:

Offline ACISROC

• Coordinator for the" Help A Cogger Out" thread.
  • Iron Butt
  • Red C-10 called Diablo
  • COG#: 11845
« Reply #10 on: June 09, 2015, 07:59:35 pm »
Thanks everyone.  I am assuming recalls would still be honored on an 08 - assuming of course they were not done?  Since the rack came up, it does indeed have the Kaw branded OEM (givi) color matched trunk. 

The bike is immaculate and exudes a well cared for vibe, so I wouldn't be surprised if already done.  Anyone have the recall work denied?

Recalls cannot be denied, nor safety issues. Just had a new driver side seat belt that was frayed, replaced on our "bought new in 98 in W.I." Subaru.  Replaced and installed  by a Subaru dealer in Hillsboro O.R  for free.  :)
« Last Edit: June 09, 2015, 08:02:36 pm by ACISROC »
There are "Bold Riders" and their are "Old Riders" but their are very few "OLD BOLD RIDERS"
 2003 C-10, C.O.G.Member#11845, A.T.G.A.T.T.
SW Chapter "Bold Riders" Retired Scout 12%er

Offline flyboy3107

• Moped
  • AREA: Northeast Area
  • COG#: 11978
« Reply #11 on: June 09, 2015, 08:30:33 pm »
I just measured my rear bolt for the wheel shaft. It measures 28mm. The front tire is easy if you have a socket set with spark plug sockets. Loosen pinchbolts on left side. Find a spark plug socket. Insert hex of socket into hex on shaft.
This socket is smaller than one needed. I couldn't find the other one that works

Offline CW

• Crotch Rocket
« Reply #12 on: June 09, 2015, 09:32:21 pm »
I put my fob in the glove box 3 years ago, and have leftit there, and have not yet had to replace its battery. I tend to think that there's no effect at all, until the stove knob ignition key is depressed. Use caution however! Based on where And how I ride and park, leaving the fob in the glove box is not a security risk for me. I have also disabled the glove box lock, so that I can open the lid any time I darn well please.  See preceeding security advisory.
2010 Neptune blue C-14
2009 KLR
2103 DR-Z400S

Offline jwh20

• Crotch Rocket
« Reply #13 on: June 10, 2015, 03:42:44 pm »
I just measured my rear bolt for the wheel shaft. It measures 28mm. The front tire is easy if you have a socket set with spark plug sockets. Loosen pinchbolts on left side. Find a spark plug socket. Insert hex of socket into hex on shaft.
This socket is smaller than one needed. I couldn't find the other one that works

The rear axle nut is 27mm not 28.  A 28mm socket might work but as much torque as you have to apply to that nut it might round off the corners.

Here is a rundown of what you need:

1) The REAR axle nut is 27mm:

2) The other side usually doesn't need held to remove the axle nut but it will need some help when re-torquing.  It's a 14mm hex driver:

3) The front is a 22mm hex:

4) On the C14, this universal front-axle tool DOES NOT work!  If you have one of these in your toolkit, check it before you take it on the road.  There is a 17mm part extending out and it won't fit into the axle.  I suppose you could cut the smaller extension off and it would work:

5) Be careful with the oft-mentioned sparkplug socket.  I'm sure these come in different sizes but mine is too loose to get a good bite on the soft aluminum front-axle nut and it will strip the lands out really easy.  If there is any play here, don't use it except in an emergency:

Offline stevewfl

• Iron Butt
  • COG# 9334
  • COG#: 9334
« Reply #14 on: June 10, 2015, 06:47:08 pm »
Pics of your C14 bike?   :beerchug:
KiPass!

Offline jwh20

• Crotch Rocket
« Reply #15 on: June 10, 2015, 08:01:56 pm »
Pics of your C14 bike?   :beerchug:

I didn't see any confirmation that he picked one up yet...  Time's a wasting though!  Before long it will be winter again!

Offline Shoe

• Bicycle
  • AREA: South Central Area
  • COG#: 6059
« Reply #16 on: June 10, 2015, 08:34:54 pm »
Hi all.  May be heading back to the Concours fold - but with a C14 this time.  Looking at a 2008.  16K miles.  ...................................

Thanks for ANY input.  Greatly appreciated.   :great:

This is not a recall but the headlight adjuster knobs should be secured with allen screws (I believe this was a service bulletin). Mine was done before I picked the bike up. The bags latches were recalled. If done then the latches are orange, if not then they are red. There were two recalls on the brakes one to install the brake shield and a second one to remove it. Another service bulletin was issued for the exhaust manifold bolts to be torqued. You can do this item yourself. Other than that it sounds like should have a good bike with only 16k. Check the bags to make sue they are installed correctly. Some riders are know to install then backwards and then complain when the loose them.

Nothing wrong with unlinked brakes. I prefer them to the linked. I hope it works out for you. There's always plenty of help and support here.  :motonoises:
Shoe

Offline Alekkas

• Street Cruiser
« Reply #17 on: June 11, 2015, 12:14:20 am »
Yes, bike NOT picked up yet.  All looks good with the deal - seems very fair to me, but going to have to give up the 919...  Pull trigger in the next day or two or commit to the rest of the season on the honda. 

---

So, on the personal side, went from the c10 to the 919 because it has been a long time since I have  had a bike that stripped down and "light."  49 years old, but ain't done sporting around yet.  Each year I take a long trip (like 6-10 days, 4-6K miles).  several weekends and plenty of Sunday mornings following/chasing around faster riders.   Good year is 10-12K miles.  Weak one is 8K.  With the shield and top box, the 919 is fine for my mission. 

However, my wife will ride a few full afternoons a year with me (all day).  An additional weekend or two riding along the Mississippi to DuBuque to enjoy time away from home and our teenagers / stay over night / park the bike and utilize the shuttle service.  She is MISERABLE on the 919.  That's pretty much the driving force.  Would love two bikes, but that doesn't fit our current family mission and kids in college or about to be there. 

I see the C14 as a more nimble, smoother C10 and more comfortable (includes Kawasaki branded Givi top box) ride for my wife than the 919.  Maybe add some C10 rear pegs, delkevic cause I like a soundtrack, and a steady supply of PR4's and I figure this bike checks a lot of boxes for us.

Edit to add:  Having just read this and meaning she is MISERABLE, I guess I am calling tomorrow and making arrangements to pick up this weekend.  Dilemma solved - I think...  ::)

Also to add: I agree about preferring non linked brakes - but looking forward to ABS.  One step at time for this old guy.
« Last Edit: June 11, 2015, 01:36:24 am by Alekkas »
'08 C14 / PGR  / IBA
Some ride reports:
On two wheels: